• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason 2: Free Agency or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Squicken

Status
Not open for further replies.
You ever think that Belichick doesn't care about how many years Brady has left. Everyone around here thinks he sucks and they won 12 games with a decimated team so what makes you think anything Belichick does is based on a supposed window?

I actually agree with this. I must really be going crazy, agreeing with gata and Penny. I am sure that the cheat thinks he can grab another 6th rounder and make him a pro bowl QB. Still odd that he would rather win 10-12 games every year but never a SB, rather then go all in and win a SB, but then have 3 or 4 really down years.

Talon

I agree they do, but I believe the broncs have just as many if you spin it that way.

- if talib holds up for the first time in his career.
- if Von Miller returns to form and straightens out
- if Demarcus Ware returns to form (less likely)
- if Welker recovers
- if montee ball is as effective as Moreno out of the backfield.
Why is Demarcus returning to form less likely? His bad season last year coincided with him being asked to put his hand on the ground because Monte Kiffin is convinced it's still 1994. Big surprise that a guy weighing 260 lbs. that was used to standing up and coming down across the formation happens to be less productive and gets more beat up when he has to tango with an OT every down.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Why is Demarcus returning to form less likely? His bad season last year coincided with him being asked to put his hand on the ground because Monte Kiffin is convinced it's still 1994. Big surprise that a guy weighing 260 lbs. that was used to standing up and coming down across the formation happens to be less productive and gets more beat up when he has to tango with an OT every down.

Less likely than Von I meant because he is going to be 33, and he's declined 2 years in a row. I'm not saying he won't be damn good though.

I agree they do, but I believe the broncs have just as many if you spin it that way.

- if talib holds up for the first time in his career.
- if Von Miller returns to form and straightens out
- if Demarcus Ware returns to form (less likely)
- if Welker recovers
- if montee ball is as effective as Moreno out of the backfield.

I have to agree with here. These are big name splashes, but really only one seems like a definite upgrade (Ward at SS). I really liked DRC last year, even if he'd occassionally get lazy on run plays or pass off a receiver when playing man. For the most part, he was just damn solid. Talib could maybe be better, but for me who knows if he'll fit in the scheme or with the other players. Likewise with Ware, Phillips was great last year even if he can't chase down someone like Wilson or Luck scrambling (I'm not exactly sure Ware can either). I'm praying it works out, but I just dunno.

One thing for sure though is I never count out the Pats. You guys always find some way to be competitive even when you shouldn't be. You'll probably draft some new studs on offense that nobody has been paying attention to like you often do.

Talon

Less likely than Von I meant because he is going to be 33, and he's declined 2 years in a row. I'm not saying he won't be damn good though.
He's 31 and will be 32 next year.

He didn't throw up 15-19 sacks two years ago, but a lot of teams would be happy with 11.5 sacks and 5 FF.

squicken

Brett Jensen @Brett_Jensen
There's lots of inside talk of letting Smith go because of his constant yelling at Cam and how he needs to leave for Cam to grow as leader

Makes sense. It needs to be Cam's offense now

You ever think that Belichick doesn't care about how many years Brady has left. Everyone around here thinks he sucks and they won 12 games with a decimated team so what makes you think anything Belichick does is based on a supposed window?

I know his theory. Get to the playoffs where anything can happen. Goal is to take as many swings at the pinata as they can, not one big swing. He's a great coach and team builder

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
OH WOW I MISSED THIS

1389391383491.gif

I don't understand how anyone would pay good money for any of our safeties. And a team that watches a lot of us on film no less.

Tom Penny

I actually agree with this. I must really be going crazy, agreeing with gata and Penny. I am sure that the cheat thinks he can grab another 6th rounder and make him a pro bowl QB. Still odd that he would rather win 10-12 games every year but never a SB, rather then go all in and win a SB, but then have 3 or 4 really down years.

I'm pretty sure they don't have backup plans for a serial killer and top 3 non QB offensive threat being a gimp costing them potential SB berths and wins 3 straight years.

Farooq

Banned

Ware played well when healthy in Kiffin's defense (PFF had him top 5). Injuries took their toll. I have no doubt Ware can still play, but I doubt his body can hold for an entire season. He has been injured for the past 3 seasons. Seasons where he would have spectacular starts, and because of injuries less than spectacular finishes.

He got injured late in the two seasons he was in Rob's defense. I doubt the 10-15% increase in pass rush attempts, or technique alignment and stance change, altered an already ongoing trend.

I don't understand how anyone would pay good money for any of our safeties. And a team that watches a lot of us on film no less.
Maybe they're bringing him in to teach Cutler how to read Capers' defense.

Joke's on them. Jennings didn't know where to be half the time!

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Maybe they're bringing him in to teach Cutler how to read Capers' defense.

Joke's on them. Jennings didn't know where to be half the time!

Burnett and Jennings were often so lost that they couldn't find their zones if they had a map.

After next season Burnett has got to go unless he dramatically improves.

Finally! We can tank in peace!

Crazy how much NBA-GAF has died down now that the Lakers blow (at least from what I remember previous seasons were like). Sometimes it feels like nobody will post in an entire day, and we're coming up to crunch time before the playoffs. Whereas nothing stops the NFL-GAF train.

Anyway, looks like the Broncos have pretty much eaten up all their cap space aside from what's left for draft signings. Don't know what they'll do for linebackers, linemen or if they think Bubba is a legit #2 receiver.

Might be able to squeeze some more space by releasing Dreesen (prob a smart move) or Tamme (prob want to keep him as backup for JT). Dunno who you can sign with the $3 mil though.

SonnyBoy

I'm satisfied with the Redskins moves so far. They've picked up some guys at key positions. I'm curious to see how this safety issue pans out.

Silkworm

Crazy how much NBA-GAF has died down now that the Lakers blow (at least from what I remember previous seasons were like). Sometimes it feels like nobody will post in an entire day, and we're coming up to crunch time before the playoffs. Whereas nothing stops the NFL-GAF train.
Most of the NBA fans are waiting for their tanking teams to profit in the NBA draft. As a Celtics fan I know I am. *sigh* :-(

MRSA

Banned
The hell are the Raiders doing? They let Veldheer and Houston walk and then resign McFadden and let Jennings walk.

Jennings can kick rocks, I'm only pissed about Veldheer. Reggie is betting the farm on Watson panning out by paying Saffold LT money (Slide him from guard to LT if Watson fails).

Houston while stout as a run defender, isn't a pass rusher.

Talon

They no longer around.

CB3

intangibles, motherfucker

Thats not whats actually happening/happened...

Jennings can kick rocks, I'm only pissed about Veldheer. Reggie is betting the farm on Watson panning out by paying Saffold LT money (Slide him from guard to LT if Watson fails).

Houston while stout as a run defender, isn't a pass rusher.

Signing Saffold for more money then the Cardinals gave Veldheer is just laughable though.

KingGondo

Banned
Yeah, that's why Best-GAF is dead.

Because the Lakers suck.

Right.

Live feed of Idzik at work

pRskwhV.gif

No worries, man.

Idzik is working his magic right now, biding his time until Revis walks a free man at 4PM. Then the Jets will resign him for 12.5M a year for 4 years and also get the 3rd rounder on top of the 1st rounder they used to get the DROY last year.

All part of the secret plan, clearly.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
There is literally no chance the pats make that trade... if they did though good on Tom, then the pats will finally realize who has get them afloat.

Wow bringing up the question now on 98.5 if amendola or wilfork could be included in the Revis trade... that would be incredible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom