• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason 2: Free Agency or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Squicken

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fox318

No worries, man.

Idzik is working his magic right now, biding his time until Revis walks a free man at 4PM. Then the Jets will resign him for 12.5M a year for 4 years and also get the 3rd rounder on top of the 1st rounder they used to get the DROY last year.

All part of the secret plan, clearly.

They would get a 4th instead of a 3rd if he is cut.

Crazy how much NBA-GAF has died down now that the Lakers blow (at least from what I remember previous seasons were like). Sometimes it feels like nobody will post in an entire day, and we're coming up to crunch time before the playoffs. Whereas nothing stops the NFL-GAF train.

lol....

yea....about that

I'm satisfied with the Redskins moves so far. They've picked up some guys at key positions. I'm curious to see how this safety issue pans out.

seems like a waste of a year

7-9 season if we're lucky, we see Orakpo is garbage and let him walk and use virtually the same amount of cap in a better FA year and adding another round of draft picks including a first

don't get me wrong, this is probably the best for the long term, but we're going to be bad again for sure with the decisions made this offseason

Tom Penny

There is literally no chance the pats make that trade... if they did though good on Tom, then the pats will finally realize who has get them afloat.

Wow bringing up the question now on 98.5 if amendola or wilfork could be included in the Revis trade... that would be incredible.

Umm you mean Wilfork would be released or restructure to get Revis..which isn't happening anyway. Someone trade for Wilkforks contract and Amendola..cool story.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
If Tom won the SB with the browns he'd be the GOAT

They're really not in the worst situation though, they're a QB away from a damn solid team. Couple damn good weapons on offense, and a top pick this year, and Joe Haden and that defense. They'd be instant contenders.

Fox318

There is literally no chance the pats make that trade... if they did though good on Tom, then the pats will finally realize who has get them afloat.

Wow bringing up the question now on 98.5 if amendola or wilfork could be included in the Revis trade... that would be incredible.

no team would trade for Amendola.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Umm you mean Wilfork would be released or restructure to get Revis..which isn't happening anyway. Someone trade for Wilkforks contract and Amendola..cool story.

Is it really that unreasonable? Sorry I didn't mean to throw Danny in, but Logan Mankins. Guys who can contribute and come off the books soon, and don't hamstring them when they need it most.

lol....

yea....about that

Seriously, after the playoffs last year I haven't ventured over to that side very often (mostly because I can't watch very many Clips games anymore since being on the east coast and having to wake up early for work). Did something crazy go down? Mass bannings?

Looks like Revis is on the free market! Lets see where he ends up...

gutshot

Bucs are cutting Darrelle Revis. No trade.

Bane.gif

Seriously, after the playoffs last year I haven't ventured over to that side very often (mostly because I can't watch very many Clips games anymore since being on the east coast and having to wake up early for work). Did something crazy go down? Mass bannings?
Not mass but some of the regulars did. Thread was locked for a while. I think most of the regulars just ended up taking the talk somewhere else so they didn't have to deal with it. At least that's from my understanding considering the activity in that thread these days.

squicken

e: beaten

Have to wonder if that is a leverage play. Yesterday Manish was saying Revis' camp really wanted him in NYJ. highest bidder as always

gutshot

Shocking news.

Which means it's time to dredge up this laughable Gregg Easterbrook quote about the Sopoaga trade:

Why the Eagles, ranked last in defense, should be trading a defensive starter for next to nothing is anyone’s guess. Looks like neophyte Kelly got snookered by veteran Belichick. The trade may become another knock against the former Oregon coach. First Kelly’s offense show signs of being a flash in the pan, then Kelly can’t make up his mind about quarterbacks, next he’s fleeced in a trade.

Lawlz

JABEE

More thoughts on Eagles moves or lack thereof:

First I just don't get it. Safety was a top need. Both safety spots. They were horrendous last year. So if you are going to target the position through FA why not you know go after the top guy? Or the 2nd or 3rd best guys available? Cap isn't an issue as the Eagles were/are one of the teams with the most room.

Secondly this fits the same plan they had last year. Acquire serviceable starters so they don't necessarily have glaring holes, which then frees them up to draft the BPA available. Sure sounds great. But where it worked with Carry Williams and Bradley Fletcher, it backfired spectacularly with Chung and Philips (who didn't even make the final roster).

I don't think the plan is bad. Its actually smart. But FA isn't evil or destroyer of teams. Teams whiff on drafts too and have to come to terms with total busts. Does that mean you stop drafting completely?

Had the Eagles only won 4-6 games last season I wouldn't mind this strategy one bit but Chip and the offensive side of the ball showed this team is good enough to compete and possibly contend if the defense is improved. And on that defense the safety spot is the biggest weakness. Guys like McCoy and Desean Jackson only have 2-3 more seasons in their prime, especially McCoy since we all know how fast RBs drop. Why was his prime? Why waste a great OLINE? Why waste Desean and good to great offense overall because after one failed FA frenzy 4 seasons ago? We need the D good now. We can make a run now.

Of course this isn't the only move they will make to address the safety spot and hopefully they land the best Safety coming out this year and bolster up the secondary, LBs, and Dline. They all need up more talent. I also am keeping my fingers crossed Jenkins is better than what he has shown. Its just a really baffling move.

Also I keep hearing here and there the Eagles are in the running for Revis. Not really sure I want him. Forget the money, he seems to hold out a lot and like Nnamdi only wants to play one on one press coverage. Chip and Billy Davis run a very hybrid mix of philosophies on the defense and would probably ask Revis to do more than just be on his own 1 on 1. Won't complain if we somehow make a move for him as its an obvious upgrade over every CB we have but again if they pull this off, I will wonder why not Byrd or Ward?

This is basically my feelings on this offseason so far. Time is running out for the Eagles to make a big move to improve the defense. Extremely disappointing. They have a chance to contend, but they are making the moves of a team looking for a Top 10 pick in the draft.

Eleuin

Detroit paying golden taint out of all people? Can't wait for that kas spin

The Browns have like 17,000 Pro Bowlers though.

They're really not in the worst situation though, they're a QB away from a damn solid team. Couple damn good weapons on offense, and a top pick this year, and Joe Haden and that defense. They'd be instant contenders.
Hmm true, they're probably a better overall team than the pats are right now

rando14

why in the world would detroiy pay Tate

might as well just burn that money

Tate is a high quality #2 receiver. Will wait to see the money before that contract is judged.

Michael Silver @MikeSilver·
The Browns will release 2011 first-round draft pick Brandon Weeden on Monday, according to a league source @nflnetwork

Gondo noooooooooooooo

Okay Idzik, Revis is cut.

Now finish the greatest fleecing of a team via trade or free agency in sports history.

Clearly, this is part of the plan.

Signing Saffold for more money then the Cardinals gave Veldheer is just laughable though.

Yet the Cardinals were willing to pay more for Saffold too, and wanted him over Veldheer. Reggie outbid them.

Reggie was willing to give Veldheer 8.5 a year from what I'm hearing, but he wanted out of Oakland and his brother being his agent caused negotiations to get emotional.

And if you think about it, Reggie has been very generous in his extensions and contracts so far. I really don't think he tried to lowball either of them. Houston has been talking shit and taking shots at the Raiders for a while now. He didn't want to come back either.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Hmm true, they're probably a better overall team than the pats are right now

On offense? They definitely are. Defense when healthy + Revis will probably go to the pats. Hoping the pats can add some pieces if Revis goes final.

Santonio Holmes, Steve Smith, Jermichael Finley, Owen Daniels, Hakeem nicks, could all be had at a cheap price.

edit- for the record I'm not saying they'll get all of them, I want them to get 1 or 2 of these guys, particularly Smith, nicks, or Finley, I think the other guys could be had as training camp flyers, same with Miles Austin.

JABEE

This sucks. The Patriots are going to get Revis and the Eagles do jack shit.

Might as well call this another rebuilding year. No balls.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom