• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason 2: Free Agency or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Squicken

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheFatOne

Fucking awesome. Really weird they didn't try to lock Revis up long term. I wonder if he can be franchise tagged. Would be stupid if he can be. Not going to complain one bit. It's going to be nice never having to worry about who to match up against teams best receivers. Fuck I'm getting excited. Now if they could somehow land Jared Allen, and a receiver they would be set.

squicken

It'd be nice if the Pats had at least one competent division rival. I guess the Phins and Jets haven't done anything dumb yet, this year

MechDX

Yesterday, when I said that I wasn't bothered by the Chiefs losing JAGs like Jackson, Asamoah and McCluster, I didn't imagine Dorsey would follow it up by signing shitbirds like Joe Mays and Jeff Linkenbach.

Fuck Joe Mays! Should have finished off what he started!

schaub-hit-9-23-12.gif

Tom Penny

If they can somehow stay healthy they're defense will definitely be top 10. Hightower, Mayo, and Collins where they can all play int he right position. Revis, Dennard, Ryan (ughh arrington), and McCourty. Chandler Jones, Ninkovich and big Vince. Their Run defense will easily be tops, and their secondary should be damn good.

They are always top 10 in scoring D. They need timely big plays in big games and the ability to be more aggressive on D.

rando14

what's going on in h-

[/QUOTE]

He should squat more!!

[quote="Kastrioti, post: 104146506"]Yeah, he is going to be a fantastic third option. What most of NFLGAF does not realize is that this team is built to win now, and our high draft picks is only going to make this team so much better and deeper.

I was reading a few pages back but I have a avatar bet with yankeehater that we will take a WR at #10. We will still do that.

What people seem to be forgetting is out offensive coordinator is Joe Lombardi, Vince Lombardi's grandson and the Saints QB coach. He is from the school of Sean Payton. You can never have enough offensive firepower in this league. Look at how the Saints were built - a bunch of talented receivers, a bunch of talented RBs and a stud QB with the #9. Screw all that nonsense some Lions fans are talking about reaching for a DB at #10. We can pick up DBs in Rounds 2-4. If Mike Evans or Sammy Watkins are there at #10 we will take them. My only fear would be if they're both gone and we take Marquiss Lee. At that point I think we should take Eric Ebron (Tight End).

As soon as we finish this construction project mid-April I'll be visiting a very good friend, and high school teammate of mine who moved out to Las Vegas after HS. I don't know what the Lions Superbowl odds are but I'm honest to God putting $100 on us winning the Super Bowl.

As for DaSII lets play this weekend brother. I played for about an hour yesterday, but even in human form I could find any other players to summon but that was probably because I was early in the game. But yeah, Friday night and Saturday night I'll be binging on DaSII and Dark Souls is best when you play co-op.

How much have you played of Dark Souls II? My brother just told me after you kill an enemy 10 times or so they disappear forever and you can't farm. Hope thats not the case for the whole game.[/QUOTE]

I just got my copy and I'm about to start right now. Yeah we can do this weekend, no worries.

Sucks to hear about enemy extinction, that's kinda annoying :\

I don't get the Emma Stone lovers.

Pretty plain, doesn't look like she's a closet freak. Decent charisma though, she's got that "one of the boys" thing.

Thank you, I thought I was the only one on the internet that doesn't find her hot. To be fair, I'm not attracted to 99 percent of red heads because I don't like freckles. You have to be a OT creation hipster god to get away with that kind of thing.

I don't like you two.......

Fox318

Fucking awesome. Really weird they didn't try to lock Revis up long term. I wonder if he can be franchise tagged. Would be stupid if he can be. Not going to complain one bit. It's going to be nice never having to worry about who to match up against teams best receivers. Fuck I'm getting excited. Now if they could somehow land Jared Allen, and a receiver they would be set.
Idzik isn't going to sign anyone.

His plan is to just draft players and save the money to sign people who went to school with his son.

I'm fucking pissed. They should have gotten Howard signed in Febuary. If they have Breno Giacomini signed for more than 2 years 10 million I'm gonna be pissed.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
They are always top 10 in scoring D. They need timely big plays in big games and the ability to be more aggressive on D.

Yeah it reminds me of what happened to the D a few years back as soon as Talib went down. They had to help out over the top everywhere and we started getting gashed up the middle. Revis should be able to cover the entire side himself and Dennard will probably always be shadowed by McCourty. Dennard plays some damn good coverage as well, hoping his knee isn't a problem again this year. I'm not as high on Ryan as others are, but I feel like they'll be able to blitz a ton with a safety freed up, and hopefully with Vince back the run defense will be a lot more stout.

Tom Penny

Who is Brady going to throw to?

Also Jets signed Breno Giacomini. An oft injured RT who isn't nowhere as good as the one they had last year.

Great job Idzik. Your plan to win less than 3 games next year is working well.

They are choosing to have a defense that can compete with the Jets offense. Hopefully it pans out.

jbug617

Banned
Pats are open to getting a long term deal done.

@AlbertBreer: Also sounds like the Patriots are open to eventually making the marriage with Revis a longer-term one. Power move by New England, no doubt.

DJax fucking destroyed him in the game against the Bucs last year. Really odd he would take a 1 year deal. Something seems really off.

RT @AlbertBreer: Also sounds like the Patriots are open to eventually making the marriage with Revis a longer-term one.

But I'm sure you can twist this into something like 'Revis hates it in New England already and wants out as fast as possible'

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Phew can rest easy for a bit. Looking forward to some more talks starting to shift focus onto the role players now. Really hoping they can actually land some of these offensive pieces. I believe Edelman will be back, but honestly whoever Tom is throwing to is going to rack up yards/catches, They just need to be able to spread it out more, everyone else was horrendous if Tom's first read was covered.

Albert Breer ✔ @AlbertBreer

I advocated the Patriots' tagging Aqib Talib. Never imagined they'd be able to get Darrelle Revis for less than $200,000 more.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
As a long suffering Lions fan your optimism is somewhat contagious.

Then I think about all the times I was hyped like that during the offseason and it makes me sad.

I just want another playoff win in my lifetime since I was at our only playoff win in 91 when I was 12. Jesus that was 20+ years ago....

Now I feel sad and old.

If they can get a decent saftey and a serviceable OLB in FA. Have another good draft like last year. Things will be looking up.

I'm skeptical and will remain so until this season starts. It's how ive been conditioned after so many years of heartbreak.

Welcome aboard Lions brother. We have suffered through a lot, but there is so much to be excited about with this team going forward as long as Stafford can stay healthy.

Out of all the franchises in the NFL we've had it the worse. The Cardinals were in the Superbowl a few years ago. The Saints won the Superbowl a few years ago. The Bills made it to four straight Superbowls. The Browns are close but at least they have more wins than us. We've had what, one playoff win in the last 50 years?

And I don't think it can be emphasized enough at how good last years draft was in terms of the offensive line and how young our offensive line is.

We have 6 picks after we take Mike Evans or Sammy Watkins to add depth to our DB and LB core.

My main concern like I said in an earlier post is that somehow Mike Evans and Watkins get picked before us. I think both those guys are surefire stud recievers. Mike Evans reminds me of Vincent Jackson, and Sammy Watkins reminds me of a Julio Jones. Martin Mayhew is a brilliant GM and keeps his cards close to his chest while still keeping his ear to the ground.

With picks through Rounds #2-7 we can focus on Linebackers and Secondary. This team is loaded with young talent and we'll continue to build on it in this draft.

Matthew Stafford 2011 Highlights

Matthew Stafford 2011 Statistics:

41 TDs, 16 INTs, 5,038 Yards, Playoff Appearance

A NFLGAF considered "bad year" for Stafford this past season, where his receivers by far led the league in drops:

29 TDs, 19 INTs, 4,650 Yards

That was without a decent #2 receiver. One way or another this team is going to be a fun team to watch. No excuse for us not to be dropping at least 30 points a game.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Nothing to spin, you guys got the best CB in football for nothing. Hopefully Brady's decline keeps up and Gronk doesnt come back close to what he was.

Brady will be fine, who the hell did he have to throw to? The big question mark though is the health of the line. Mankins was questionable last year as was Solder, and it was a disaster once Vollmer went down, I doubt he stays healthy a whole year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom