• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason 2: Free Agency or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Squicken

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cut Smith, let Ginn go, no WRs on the roster...not interested in the guy with hometown ties.

jaguars-fan-gif_original.gif
Read the article. It's typical Florio shit. He says according to his souces they've shown no interest "as of last night".

Well it's fucking today now moron. That's a worthwhile report!

MechDX

Eric Edholm ‏@Eric_Edholm · 1m
Teams reaching out on WR Steve Smith: Ravens, Patriots, Chargers, Redskins, Seahawks. Smith expected to talk to Ravens' Gary Kubiak tonight.

Should add the Broncos to because

Bowser

Teams reaching out on WR Steve Smith: Ravens, Patriots, Chargers, Redskins, Seahawks. Smith expected to talk to Ravens' Gary Kubiak tonight.

Redskins lol. They still have Hall right? No way he'd go there.

Fox318

Thank god the Jets aren't on the list.

_woLf

We may as well extend Sherman and Thomas now and spend most of the back half of the draft readding depth to defense.

Yeah really. That and re-sign Hauschka. I guess we were just spoiled last year with free agent signings because this year has been pretty depressing/boring for us.

edit: i don't think smith would be a good fit for Seattle, his attitude would harm the flow that the team has...

Damn what is going on with the Panthers, it's like they are cleaning house after a terrible season or something.

Our last GM saddled the team with horrible contracts up and down the roster. Last year, Dave Gettleman in his first year worked miracles, got us under the cap and signed a bunch of cast-offs to one year deals to get us by. The defense clicked and 12-4 happened. Now all the 1 year guys are getting paid because they were able to prove themselves last season and we can't afford them due to cap hell. It doesn't help that we franchised Hardy at $13 million and the entire offensive line retired.

So essentially it's a perfect storm of clusterfuckery.

No thanks on Smith.

Depends on how much... some extra baggage with him, but I think he's old enough to know his role.

Plus who knows maybe Pete can lighten him up a bit.

As far as the Panthers are concern I don't know who said it earlier, but they put it very well. They spent too much money on LB, and RB (the two most replaceable position in the NFL) over the last few years.

Now they have to pay for it.

Our last GM saddled the team with horrible contracts up and down the roster. Last year, Dave Gettleman in his first year worked miracles, got us under the cap and signed a bunch of cast-offs to one year deals to get us by. The defense clicked and 12-4 happened. Now all the 1 year guys are getting paid because they were able to prove themselves last season and we can't afford them due to cap hell. It doesn't help that we franchised Hardy at $13 million and the entire offensive line retired.

So essentially it's a perfect storm of clusterfuckery.

Damn that sucks, I thought Ireland would screw us over too but thanks to Aponte and her brilliant cap mind we are just find with our contracts and she keeps doing good work for us.

Agreed, very confusing.

Don't have the money to compete for free agents at all of our positions at need, even our own. Example: Munnerlyn. He was the best corner on the roster, and he really, really wanted to come back to Carolina (his words, not mine), but there's no way in hell we can pay him close to 5 mil per year.

The fact is all of we had to pay the price eventually for the irresponsible spending at the end of the Hurney regime. Gettleman chose to pay it now, and take 1 or 2 bad years now in order to build a team that can compete for 8-10 years, rather than keep putting it off with restructures and dead money and ending up in the same place the Cowboys are in.

Colasante

I'd like Steve Smith on the Patriots. I don't think he'll have a humungous impact on the field, but his fiery attitude would be a great influence on the young receivers. I can't see the Ravens letting him leave the building, though.

Fox318

Depends on how much... some extra baggage with him, but I think he's old enough to know his role.

Plus who knows maybe Pete can lighten him up a bit.

As far as the Panthers are concern I don't know who said it earlier, but they put it very well. They spent too much money on LB, and RB (the two most replaceable position in the NFL) over the last few years.

Now they have to pay for it.

plWCD2T.gif

ShaneB

Don't have the money to compete for free agents at all of our positions at need, even our own. Example: Munnerlyn. He was the best corner on the roster, and he really, really wanted to come back to Carolina (his words, not mine), but there's no way in hell we can pay him close to 5 mil per year.

The fact is all of we had to pay the price eventually for the irresponsible spending at the end of the Hurney regime. Gettleman chose to pay it now, and take 1 or 2 bad years now in order to build a team that can compete for 8-10 years, rather than keep putting it off with restructures and dead money and ending up in the same place the Cowboys are in.

Yeah, TheClimaxan explained it pretty well. Just a perfect storm.

Walter Thurmond is visiting the 49ers after leaving the Jaguars without a contract.

=(

According to this, we have about 14 million in cap room left. Hauschka will cost 2-3 million and if we sign Finley it shouldn't really do much to our cap since he'll probably get around the amount we'll save by cutting Miller. If we don't sign Finley then Miller should be willing to take a decent paycut saving us 2-3 million. I would frontload Thomas' contract and give him around 10-12 million this year and then dropping it the next few years. Sherman I'd give a decent raise this year to around 5 million and then heavily boosting it to around 12-14 million in 2015.

NPD came out....see you on the other side NFL-Gaf!

I'm shocked at Xbox One numbers. I know February is usually a small boost from January but for the Xbox One to sell over 100k more when their marketing died down heavily surprises me. It should easily outsell PS4 in March, although shortages will have a decent part to do with it.

Exhibit A

http://gridirongrit.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/Steve-Smith-Aqib-Talib-Fight-GIF-Panthers-Patriots.gif[IMG]

Exhibit B

[IMG]http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-HehaKCZZSsA/UtLkP0g-WwI/AAAAAAAAFTo/FPVvEQ69ZoU/s1600/SS1.gif[IMG][/QUOTE]

Would be great to have him piss off Talib when we play the Broncos.

In other news, I re-amendola'd my groin once again playing soccer today, might be out for 1 maybe 2 weeks. Set your fantasy team's line-up accordingly.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Nemhauser tweeted that the Seahawks already have a younger, better Steve Smith in Doug Baldwin and I'm inclined to agree!

Bowser

He would have to be really cheap.

He gets $5m from the Panthers this season (no offset lol), so he won't need too much. Although I think he's gonna want to play the Panthers next season and toast whatever shit secondary we trot out, so that doesn't help the Pats. Ravens or Bucs IMO.

I'm shocked at Xbox One numbers. I know February is usually a small boost from January but for the Xbox One to sell over 100k more when their marketing died down heavily surprises me. It should easily outsell PS4 in March, although shortages will have a decent part to do with it.

Titanfall beta, tons of promos and game give aways, etc. Good bump. I fully expect it to win March. I'd look out for some major changes from Redmond within the next six months if it doesn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom