• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread 2013 - Here comes the wait

Dragon

Banned
So the big surprise was 8GB and play over Vita? Any vids of the games? Was it mind blowing?

Those are the big ones along with being able to download and then start a game/demo before it finishes downloading. Which is huge considering how big some of these next gen games can get.

I am. Guess I just figured that sice i've been hearing "next-gen next-gen next-gen" for weeks i'd see something impressive.

Good thing the social features made WiiU look like the 2006 console that it is. Your dismissals are noted and dismissed.

bionic77

Those are the big ones along with being able to download and then start a game/demo before it finishes downloading. Which is huge considering how big some of these next gen games can get.

Good thing the social features made WiiU look like the 2006 console that it is. Your dismissals are noted and dismissed.
Sell me on it. I was leaning towards a 4 over a 720 but what is so amazing about it?

Figured you'd be mad. You didn't disappoint!

To be fair I didn't see anything particularly impressive in the Wii U launch either. I dunno. I just don't think this stuff is for me anymore.

Godslay

Banned

At it's core the WiiU is still a capable games machine. It's still the home of Nintendo games, which is the sole reason I bought it. If you bought one looking for innovative social features, then you didn't do your home work.

NomarTyme

I have the money to buy the PS4, but if the oculus rift is only for pc then I already made up my mind.

I don't care about pretty graphic. Immersion gaming is the new shit.

bionic77

8 GB OF GDDR5 RAM!!!!!1!
This is not a PC dick waving contest. I am not a lazy developer who will use that ram to simplify cross platform ports (with that architecture it seems like you would have to be retarded not to make the games across both 4 720 and the PC).

What I was wondering is will this make my jaw drop like the fake madden demo or MGS 2 trailer? If not then what the fuck is the point?

Dragon

Banned
Sell me on it. I was leaning towards a 4 over a 720 but what is so amazing about it?

Tough to say now without seeing what Microsoft will offer. Because right now we're going to compare a PS4 to a 360 which isn't really fair.

I just liked how much they wanted things to be seamless. And some of the stuff they expanded upon regarding that isn't the most interesting to me: streaming your game onto the web and having other people being able to drop items in game (which reminds me of Demon's Souls) if you're struggling. Besides that things like being able to have a TiVo of the most recent 15 minutes of the game you're playing and sharing that easily seem really cool to me. Without getting into e-peen material I think it'll matter for most people.

The new Killzone game, graphics wise, looked ridiculous, but I'm not really into Killzone so I wasn't incredibly excited.

Figured you'd be mad. You didn't disappoint!

To be fair I didn't see anything particularly impressive in the Wii U launch either. I dunno. I just don't think this stuff is for me anymore.

You and I will never agree on anything and I think that's the way we both like it!

This is not a PC dick waving contest. I am not a lazy developer who will use that ram to simplify cross platform ports (with that architecture it seems like you would have to be retarded not to make the games across both 4 720 and the PC).

What I was wondering is will this make my jaw drop like the fake madden demo or MGS 2 trailer? If not then what the fuck is the point?

You remind me of me with gaming tastes, so i'm going to go out on a limb and say no.

They showed beefed up PlayStation titles. Killzone, Some car game, Infamous and the like.

You and I will never agree on anything and I think that's the way we both like it!

You're a Pats fan so I already know you have terrible taste.

Personally I just don't care about graphics anymore, and what they showed wasn't anything to get excited about. We're in the realm of diminishing returns. I also don't care about social features - I barely get time to play these damn consoles as it is.

ari

Banned
nothing was that impressive, I would say Blizzard had a chance to blow my fucking mind by integrating WoW in the share play stuff but they announce diablo 3. lol

The first party games did nothing for me and the rest is more then likely coming xbox 720 so, whatever. Also, 8GBs of that kind of ram and the specs was known by many on the gaming side and now they are like. ZOMG.

Seriously, it seems as if most of the hype is forced over there and most of the guys over there seem to try to out do that one nintendo direct that had the bombs dropping....Kinda sad actually. It feels like a debate spin room on cnn after the politicians get done debating.

bionic77

You remind me of me with gaming tastes, so i'm going to go out on a limb and say no.

They showed beefed up PlayStation titles. Killzone, Some car game, Infamous and the like.
That one dirt racer on PS3 made my jaw drop. I remember it took me like 10 minutes to display it in 1080i (it was a shit old tv). MGS4 also blew me away. So did Gears of War.

Anything like that shown?

Dragon

Banned
He was very awesome. I wished they got more indepth with the hardware side of things.

Yeah I got the feeling they embraced the history of the platform and tried to get other people involved, as opposed to the PS3/Cell where they just decided to do whatever they damn well pleased.

Dragon

Banned
nothing was that impressive, I would say Blizzard had a chance to blow my fucking mind by integrating WoW in the share play stuff but they announce diablo 3. lol

The first party games did nothing for me and the rest is more then likely coming xbox 720 so, whatever. Also, 8GBs of that kind of ram and the specs was known by many on the gaming side and know they are like. ZOMG.

Seriously, it seems as if most of the hype is forced over there and most of the guys over there seem to try to out do that one nintendo direct that had the bombs dropping....Kinda sad actually. It feels like a debate spin room on cnn after the politicians get done debating.

No one thought 8 gigs was possible considering price (which may be a problem). I don't know where the hell you thought it would be possible but you and Jay Cutler should put down the hash pipe.

Deep Down, a game in the mold of Demon's Souls, looked pretty damn amazing. Don't know it was bullshots though.

Deep Down is a terrible terrible name!!

Yeah I got the feeling they embraced the history of the platform and tried to get other people involved, as opposed to the PS3/Cell where they just decided to do whatever they damn well pleased.

I would be happy with socket protocols and os level programming stuff. I know I'll never get it.

brentech

The first party games did nothing for me and the rest is more then likely coming xbox 720 so, whatever. Also, 8GBs of that kind of ram and the specs was known by many on the gaming side and now they are like. ZOMG.

Yep. That's ari

ari

Banned
No one thought 8 gigs was possible considering price (which may be a problem). I don't know where the hell you thought it would be possible but you and Jay Cutler should put down the hash pipe.

Dude, a thread about the specs was on the front page for like ever. All stating 8 GBs. So just let me and jay cutler smoke that hash homie.

Anyway, wait until E3 to see if i should pick up a xbox or ps4 this year.

Godslay

Banned

Deep Down is a terrible terrible name!!

With them going big on the RAM, it gives me the hint that hardware will be subsidized via PS+. Which would be fine by me.

Good thing Deep Down is a working title!

Dragon

Banned
Dude, a thread about the specs was on the front page for like ever. All stating 8 GBs. So just let me and jay cutler smoke that hash homie.

Link?

While I wait here's a picture of Jay Cutler:
tumblr_mf8js8h8hC1rge9rdo1_500.jpg

Link? I saw a ton of speculation about the specs, and anyone that I saw say 8 gigs of ram would get shot down. This is 16 times the ram of the PS3. This is absolutely incredible for gamers.

i love what im hearing from ps4. loved how killzone looked. sony just needs to seal the deal with a $499 or less price point!

p.s.

but i will pay more than that

Wait a god damn second... I just saw that spec sheet. x86? This is a computer with a custom DRM-enabling OS installed. If the 720 is along the same lines, MS will use Windows on it...

Jesus, Valve is going to completely own the market, aren't they.

e: Well, apart from the 3DS. Just got Fire Emblem, it's addictive as fuuuuuuuuckk.

Link? I saw a ton of speculation about the specs, and anyone that I saw say 8 gigs of ram would get shot down. This is 16 times the ram of the PS3. This is absolutely incredible for gamers.

He's either talking out his ass or getting the rumored 720 specs mixed up with the PS4 specs.

mr2xxx

Banned
The way I see it the hardware and OS were the impressive parts. Especially the OS with its streaming capabilities, background downloads, remote play, and the sharing feature which I don't care about. Also I like the fact that the interface doesn't look like the vita with the horrible bubbles.

The games on the other hand look like every first gen games of any launch, slightly better than last gen but probably crappy and forgettable . Club Drive looks decent but all I could imagine is GT6. Capcom makes me want a next gen Souls game. Killzone just seems like another generic Fps. Only game that I will probably buy day 1 is Watchdogs.

Godslay

Banned
Wait a god damn second... I just saw that spec sheet. x86? This is a computer with a custom DRM-enabling OS installed. If the 720 is along the same lines, MS will use Windows on it...

e: Well, apart from the 3DS. Just got Fire Emblem, it's addictive as fuuuuuuuuckk.

Bastard! I still haven't been able to get a copy. I will not do a digital download for that game.

TheFatOne

Anyway, wait until E3 to see if i should pick up a xbox or ps4 this year.

I think you are confusing the Durango specs for the Orbis/PS4 specs. Durango has 8gb of DDR3 memory rumored for a while. PS4 was rumored to have 4GB of DDR5. 8GB of DDR5 is just fucking crazy.

My PS3 broke shortly after Uncharted 3 came out, and I have been saving money to buy a new one since then. Last year I decided to just save money for the PS4 instead. I already have the money to buy it and a bunch of games when it launches. Can't wait.
That was not mindblowing. It was PS3.5. Same game just added scale and some detail. The part I liked best was the lighting when he woke up after the explosion. That looked cool.

The lighting in the dragon game was great. It was all cutscenes though so not super impressed but I bet they can nail that lighting during gameplay.

Honestyly you should just wait until E3. It's to early right now for most of these games. I know that whatever Sony Santa Monica/Naughty Dogs does will be mind blowing.
The way I see it the hardware and OS were the impressive parts. Especially the OS with its streaming capabilities, background downloads, remote play, and the sharing feature which I don't care about. Also I like the fact that the interface doesn't look like the vita with the horrible bubbles.

The games on the other hand look like every first gen games of any launch, slightly better than last gen but probably crappy and forgettable . Club Drive looks decent but all I could imagine is GT6. Capcom makes me want a next gen Souls game. Killzone just seems like another generic Fps. Only game that I will probably buy day 1 is Watchdogs.

I thought Watch Dogs looked terrible. I don't care if your graphics are mind blowing if you have a massive amount of screen tearing. I hope it isn't as bad when it releases.

I have a high end PC so I was thinking this was about "par" for what I was expecting. I was the most impressed by the old man head.

Can't say I was blown away at all...then again I haven't been since the seeing Gears of War renders back in what? 2002?

That's what bugs me. The days of me being "wowed" by graphics are long over. Nothing I saw today was "wow" worthy. I assume the same will be true for MS' reveal.

ari

Banned
I think you are confusing the Durango specs for the Orbis/PS4 specs. Durango has 8gb of DDR3 memory rumored for a while. PS4 was rumored to have 4GB of DDR5. 8GB of DDR5 is just fucking crazy.

EDIT: shit your right. lol, DISREGARD. stupid code names mixed up.

Dragon

Banned
That was not mindblowing. It was PS3.5. Same game just added scale and some detail. The part I liked best was the lighting when he woke up after the explosion. That looked cool.

The lighting in the dragon game was great. It was all cutscenes though so not super impressed but I bet they can nail that lighting during gameplay.

1. Dragons are awesome.
2. Killzone is boring but the sense of scale in that demo was pretty immense.
3. I missed the second half of the conference because of a date and I didn't even get a fucking kiss, fuck dating.

Cutler sucks

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=512488

http://67.227.255.239/forum/showthread.php?t=510373

read towards the end of the threads, All saying that sources saying 8gb of ram. you might catch my posts in their too.

No offense but on the first fucking post it says 4 GB of unified memory.

Memory:

4 GB unified system memory, 176 GB/s
3.5 available to games (estimate)

That's what bugs me. The days of me being "wowed" by graphics are long over. Nothing I saw today was "wow" worthy. I assume the same will be true for MS' reveal.
IMO, this is a function of going the PC hardware route. It's hard to wow anyone when games have been coming out on near identical hardware for the last couple years.

And it's hard to be impressed by specs when they'll be obsolete 6 months after release. I knew MS would go the PC route, but I'm a little surprised by Sony. I guess the Cell/bluray thing took its toll.

ari

Banned

yea, gears of war and even kameo had a next gen feel to it from the original xbox. This is not much of a leap from killzone 3 to killzone shadow fall.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member

Well I just remembered that graphical demo from SE, that was really cool but I think it was theoretical in nature and took them ages to make it.

Just seems like graphics are nudging up against a giant cost/benefit issue. Graphics cards continue to improve but we are seeing more marginal returns as time goes on.

i'm ready to deem fire emblem game of the year. i dont give a fuck what comes out on ps3/ps4 or xbox 360/720 or wiiU (are there any more games coming out this year?). fire emblem is the shit

ari

Banned
i'm ready to deem fire emblem game of the year. i dont give a fuck what comes out on ps3/ps4 or xbox 360/720 or wiiU (are there any more games coming out this year?). fire emblem is the shit

I have to pick up a 3DS and this, Everyone at work is raving about this game.

I have to pick up a 3DS and this, Everyone at work is raving about this game.

never played a fire emblem before (well i played about 20 minutes of the wii one) and i love it. i will buy every fire emblem game released from now on. super excited about fire emblem X smt on wiiU.

Does it stay good all the way through or does it go to shit like NNK? You tricked me once already!

if NNK is so bad why is your avatar from the game!

and i don't know, i'm only about 13 hours in and i'm still lovin' it. but im still lovin' NNK about 18 hours in too you monster!

Top Bottom