• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread 2013 - Here comes the wait

bionic77

Like I said, it's not by choice. I just don't need to sleep much so I generally don't. Though its been easier lately with two kids. So much more work!
I hope people who sleep less don't live as long as us lazy fuckers.

We all should get roughly the same amount of hours awake to live. It would not be fair if most of us wasted 8 hours a night while people like you got an extra hour or four to fuck around on the internet and play games all night.

WedgeX

Banned
Looks like Dee Milliner's draft stock with the Lions went up.

Detroit Free Press said:
Alabama cornerback Dee Milliner needs surgery to repair a torn labrum after this week’s NFL combine, according to reports.

Milliner is widely considered the draft’s top cornerback prospect and could be in the mix for the Detroit Lions at No. 5 overall.

The Lions haven’t shied away from players with injury concerns in drafts under general manager Martin Mayhew, though they’ve typically stomached those risks after the first round.

Last year, the Lions drafted receiver Ryan Broyles in the second round, even though he tore his ACL five months earlier at Oklahoma. They traded up to get running back Jahvid Best in the first round of 2010, despite his history of head injuries, and took Jason Fox in the fourth round of the same draft, when he was coming off knee surgery.

eznark

Banned

We all should get roughly the same amount of hours awake to live. It would not be fair if most of us wasted 8 hours a night while people like you got an extra hour or four to fuck around on the internet and play games all night.

Gruden and i are the next evolution of man.

Draxal

I bought it all but haven't really touched it. So much value in terms of replayability that I don't really know why you wouldn't spend a few bucks. That said I'm not touching the honey pot DLC until after I beat the game.

Yeah, it's just there's alot more coming, i think there's about 25 separate items total. It's a drop in the bucket for me, but I guess it adds up to alot for Nintendo in the add if alot of people buy it. I'm just hoping they announce a sequel for the 3DS soon, I think this is by far the best selling Fire Emblem in Japan and America so far.

Talon

Actually, you don't. Life expectancy and aging is tied pretty closely to sleep. We need about 6-8 hours on average.

Another depressing fact from the girlfriend in med school...

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Actually, you don't. Life expectancy and aging is tied pretty closely to sleep. We need about 6-8 hours on average.

I thought there was a weird split like people who sleep less than 5 and greater than 7.5 live longer?

Then again like every other medical statistic, it's impossible to control for just about everything....

Talon

I thought there was a weird split like people who sleep less than 5 and greater than 7.5 live longer?

Then again like every other medical statistic, it's impossible to control for just about everything....
All I know is that I used to be able to operate on four hours, but I am worthless without at least eight hours nowadays.

The Chairman of the Board only slept a few hours a night and he lived a crazy full life.

Talon

The Chairman of the Board only slept a few hours a night and he lived a crazy full life.
Outliers always exist.

Presumably rest is inversely proportional stress levels because stress is the thing that makes everything worse. The body is a crazy thing.

More fun facts:
*There are around 5-8 lbs. of shit just sitting in your intestines.
*When you first "lose weight," what's making you lighter for the first 10 or so pounds is less shit in your bowels and less water in your body.
*The reason people experience quick weight loss when going on "low carb diets" is that there's less glucomine in the body. 1 gram of glucomine bonds with 3 grams of water, so you're losing...water weight.
*Cutting all fat out of your diet is the dumb shit you could do. Your brain cannot subsist on sugars, so it needs lipids to function. If you cut out fat from your diet, your body will immediately start breaking down muscle.

Fire Emblem is excellent, I'm addicted. I've got a friend code of 2981-5865-4516 so do whatever that is to add me.

And I've figured out the feet thing. They have feet, they walk on their tiptoes. I see heels.

eznark

Banned

Sleep through your twenties so you have more time in your nineties to agonise over your mistakes and extra waking hours to yearn for the sweet release of a swift, silent and lonely death.

Talon

Sleep through your twenties so you have more time in your nineties to agonise over your mistakes and extra waking hours to yearn for the sweet release of a swift, silent and lonely death.
I plan on ending my life in my late fifties. Skydiving "accident."

bionic77

All I know is that I used to be able to operate on four hours, but I am worthless without at least eight hours nowadays.
When the twins were born I was working on sometimes 2 or less hours of sleep.

But I was not the same as when I get 5-6 hours of sleep. My brain just felt like it was in slow motion. Crazy to think how much I was driving back then too. Thank Tebow for coffee.

Fire Emblem is excellent, I'm addicted. I've got a friend code of 2981-5865-4516 so do whatever that is to add me.

And I've figured out the feet thing. They have feet, they walk on their tiptoes. I see heels.
Wait until you get to chapter 5. I am playing on hard and I am a FE vet and I was shocked how hard it was to keep my characters alive at such an early point in the game. Took me like 3 or 4 restarts before I figured it out.

And I told you this game is addicting. So hard to put it down once you get into the battles.

Greg

:lol

This pretty much explains most of my console purchase over the last 7 years. Though if I am being honest I really did think the PS3 was going to be more powerful than an atom bomb. It was still worth it for the FIFA sessions, but man that console did not come anywhere close to living up to the hype. It was marginally more powerful than the 360 at the end of the day.

For whatever reason I just like the games on portables more. The only question is whether my next purchase is a Vita or PS4 (and maybe a U after that 100 hero games or Pikmin comes out).
I didn't know you played FIFA, damnit.

bionic77

I didn't know you played FIFA, damnit.
It might be nostalgia but I think I liked Pro Evo/Winning Eleven on the PS2/Xbox a little more, but I loved FIFA on the PS3 before the twins were born. The Pro Evo games in the current gen were just a bit too arcadey for me.

Soccer/International Football makes for the best sports videogames. Nothing else comes close. If they figure it out on Vita I might get one just for that.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
Outliers always exist.

Presumably rest is inversely proportional stress levels because stress is the thing that makes everything worse. The body is a crazy thing.

More fun facts:
*There are around 5-8 lbs. of shit just sitting in your intestines.
*When you first "lose weight," what's making you lighter for the first 10 or so pounds is less shit in your bowels and less water in your body.
*The reason people experience quick weight loss when going on "low carb diets" is that there's less glucomine in the body. 1 gram of glucomine bonds with 3 grams of water, so you're losing...water weight.
*Cutting all fat out of your diet is the dumb shit you could do. Your brain cannot subsist on sugars, so it needs lipids to function. If you cut out fat from your diet, your body will immediately start breaking down muscle.

Are these fun facts from you or from your girl? I'd like to know, because I still see so much misinformation being spread from doctors and schools and dieticians and such that it blows my mind. re: "low carb" diets. Dr. Atkins was right and most doctors still won't recognize such.

Talon

Are these fun facts from you or from your girl? I'd like to know, because I still see so much misinformation being spread from doctors and schools and dieticians and such that it blows my mind. re: "low carb" diets. Dr. Atkins was right and most doctors still won't recognize such.
This is from med school - they just did the digestive track.

When they started talking about weight loss and nutrition, they actually brought in people with different perspectives - a nutritionist, a GI researcher, a trainer and, of course, their professor who's a primary care provider.

They disagreed over a couple things (nutritionist and the researcher disagree about whether calories were calories or some calories were "better" than others), but the above are just basic medical facts. They opened up their body's intestine, and there was just a ton of shit still packed inside him. When a body "discharges" upon death, it's only the shit at the end of your digestive track that is released because you're constantly holding shit in.

Real Road Rage. Damn, this guy is pissed.

eznark

Banned

When they started talking about weight loss and nutrition, they actually brought in people with different perspectives - a nutritionist, a GI researcher, a trainer and, of course, their professor who's a primary care provider.

They disagreed over a couple things (nutritionist and the researched disagree about whether calories were calories or some calories were "better" than others), but the above are just basic medical facts. They opened up their body's intestine, and there was just a ton of shit still packed inside him. When a body "discharges" upon death, it's only the shit at the end of your digestive track that is released because you're constantly holding shit in.

Except Kastrioti who spews shit every time he opens his mouth.

squicken

Marc Sessler ‏@MarcSesslerNFL
Schiano at NFLCombine: Josh Freeman is our quarterback; we can accomplish our goals with Josh

Thought they were going to have competition?

Talon

Marc Sessler ‏@MarcSesslerNFL
Schiano at NFLCombine: Josh Freeman is our quarterback; we can accomplish our goals with Josh

Thought they were going to have competition?

4139616_o.gif

Greg

It might be nostalgia but I think I liked Pro Evo/Winning Eleven on the PS2/Xbox a little more, but I loved FIFA on the PS3 before the twins were born. The Pro Evo games in the current gen were just a bit too arcadey for me.

Soccer/International Football makes for the best sports videogames. Nothing else comes close. If they figure it out on Vita I might get one just for that.
Yeah, I'm the same way - my favorites were Winning Eleven on PS2, and FIFA on PS3.

I enjoy Madden more against the AI, but soccer games are the best for multiplayer.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet

They disagreed over a couple things (nutritionist and the researcher disagree about whether calories were calories or some calories were "better" than others), but the above are just basic medical facts. They opened up their body's intestine, and there was just a ton of shit still packed inside him. When a body "discharges" upon death, it's only the shit at the end of your digestive track that is released because you're constantly holding shit in.

Real Road Rage. Damn, this guy is pissed.

I just take umbrage at scientists poo-poo'ing low carb and south beach diets. I've watched four separate people lose hundreds of pounds from going full Atkins. Then I've talked to doctors and such who tell me it was for any reason except for them not knowing wtf. Now excuse me while I finish my chocolate biscotti.

I love that video! The music is perfect.

Talon

I just take umbrage at scientists poo-poo'ing low carb and south beach diets. I've watched four separate people lose hundreds of pounds from going full Atkins. Then I've talked to doctors and such who tell me it was for any reason except for them not knowing wtf. Now excuse me while I finish my chocolate biscotti.
The primary takeaway from the "forum" they had was that it takes dramatic changes in your diet to maintain significant weight loss. Just cutting yourself off from potato chips and chocolate and marginally increasing your activity level isn't going to do shit for you.

Exercise by itself won't do anything either. You must significantly decrease the volume of food that you intake because your body wants to stay at its current weight. It's an equilibrium of sorts.

A tweak won't do much of anything. A lifestyle change is what you need.

The researcher works with morbidly obese patients, and he's found the most effective "diet" has been a 600 calories liquid diet of effectively pure protein and then nutrients and necessary fats. Pretty nuts to think about.

eznark

Banned
I thought Bridgewater and Boyd were the guys everyone was moist for?

98% of this thread has no idea who they are. Play to your audience.

I'm still shocked people like Boyd. He's a warrior who should go in the 3rd, sit a few years learning the system and then shine for a few years before he dies on the field.

squicken

98% of this thread has no idea who they are. Play to your audience.

I'm still shocked people like Boyd. He's a warrior who should go in the 3rd, sit a few years learning the system and then shine for a few years before he dies on the field.

I watched nothing of either guy until their last two games. JFF isn't Tebow, and maybe he makes big strides in the offseason as a passer, but the other two throw much better. I agree that Boyd is clearly below Bridgewater. I thought he looked amazing

eznark

Banned
Great year to need an inside linebacker!

This is an interesting comparison. The 2013 NFL Draft class has more first-round talent than 2012, but the depth was drastically better a year ago. The 2012 NFL Draft's class had very good prospects on the second-day and some depth in the late-rounds. One quality rookie linebacker, Cincinnati's Vontaze Burfict, went undrafted and he looks better than all but the top three linebackers of the 2013 class. This year's group features an elite trio at the top and a big drop off after them.

AJ Hawk lives yet another season.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
The last few months I think my body is fucking with me. I'm function fine on only 4-5hrs sleep.

I'm actually getting scared.

effzee

I require 7-9 hours every night.

Don't know if I care for any of the social interaction features of the PS4 but I will need to buy one of the two (XBOX720 or PS4) to compliment the WiiU especially to play sports games so very interested in further information about both consoles.

The Capcom engine demo did look amazing but I wonder if that is how games will look as a finished product.

Doubt it will affect his draft stock much if he performs well at his Pro Day..

Adam Schefter @AdamSchefter

Georgia LB Jarvis Jones, the top player on Mel Kiper's draft board, will not work out at combine and focus on Pro Day in Athens, Ga., Mar 21

brentech

I usually sleep between 6-8. More often 6 hrs
Have a really hard time sleeping much more. My body gets all antsy.

My wife on the other hand can sleep for like 13 hours it seems

Just got a chance to see some of the playsation conf. So does Ps4 have BC or not? Is it some kinda feature that'll be added? Kinda confused, and BC is a big deal for me.

squicken

Arians said this morning at the NFL Scouting Combine that he was a quarterback “traditionalist,” and spoke in near-dismissive terms about the growing prevalence of read option systems.

“The more you put the QB in harms way, the more harm will come to him,” he said.

I read this earlier but have only now recovered

Top Bottom