• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread 2013 - Here comes the wait

Holy shit lol. Analysts were claiming that if Gabbert was in this draft he would be ranked ahead of Geno. If that is true then I feel sorry for Gator and his Jags nation, no one deserves bust after bust with QBs*

Unless its a NFCE Team ( Minus Redskins), Pats, Steelers, Colts (Lucky Fucks!)

I'm pretty sure it was someone in the Jags front office that said this

Wes

venison crêpe
Loads of stories around that Smith to the chiefs is all but announced and it'll be a second round pick this year and a second or third the following year?!

Seems a little steep to me.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
Loads of stories around that Smith to the chiefs is all but announced and it'll be a second round pick this year and a second or third the following year?!

Seems a little steep to me.

You're just mad the Browns didn't offer two first rounders.

I don't know, but somebody from that D has got to go. Big Snack's a FA, I'll be surprised if they resign him. That leaves Harrison, Keisel, Troy, Clark as the old dude's making serious change. Well, there's also Ike, but as their best DB he ain't going anywhere. There's a crazy part of me that says keep Harrison and unload fat ass Woodley, but I don't think there's a real chance of that.

Harrison is really the only feasible cut on that list. Hampton is gone anyway, cutting Keisel saves 1 and change against the cap, and there's no depth behind Troy or Clark.

bionic77

Im scared we're going to have another qb drought like post bradshaw. I dont want to live through that, reading about a drought of that nature is painful enough
Part of football. Hopefully Tomlin can carry shit qb's by building stacked teams around them like Cowher used to.

Godslay

Banned
If the Chiefs have a good draft and Smith is ok they could be pretty good this year.

They really don't need a good draft to be good, although it certainly would help. I know a lot of people laughed at the trade, but it does make them better. I think with the addition of Smith and Reid, they can be a 0.500 team pretty easy with potential wildcard aspirations. I don't think they will be better than us, but the gap has closed a bit.

Godslay

Banned
Only reason people laughed at the trade is because of what they gave up. Also the size of Alex's hands, but yeah.

One way to look at it is that you give up a couple educated guesses for a proven commodity. It does involve more money obviously to pay Smith than a draft pick, but if he can attain a level of production close to where he was in 2011 it's worth it imo. They were in dire need of a QB, and by trading for Smith got a considerable upgrade at the most important position in the game. It's a deal I would make if the draft looked this paltry.

So if Kaep goes down now, who does the ball go to? It's a valid question with they way they use him.

They really don't need a good draft to be good, although it certainly would help. I know a lot of people laughed at the trade, but it does make them better. I think with the addition of Smith and Reid, they can be a 0.500 team pretty easy with potential wildcard aspirations. I don't think they will be better than us, but the gap has closed a bit.

I dont understand how they were so bad.

Godslay

Banned

If you can't score points, your defense is worthless really. They will get worn out, and hemorrhage points. Add in some possible bad coaching, and you got yourself a bad team.

Going back to the beginning last season, quite a few people put them as the division winners. It made sense at the time because they are a talented team. Cassel sucked, Crenel sucked, and the whole thing fell apart.

Doorman

Trading for Alex Smith at this point reminds me a bit of how they traded for Matt Cassel back in the day. That sure worked out well for them in the long run.

In a way I kind of also feel bad for Alex Smith. All these years taking the slings and arrows in San Francisco, but the management stuck by him. Finally with a new coaching regime in place that claims to want to stick with him, he begins to come into his own after a long road...and then he's promptly shipped off to Kansas City to rot the moment anybody with a glimmer of potential shows up. I'd be salty as hell if I were him right now.

You know it's a great trade when the general response is "Hey, now the Chiefs might be able to go the playoffs now!" Because isn't the point of football to make the playoffs and immediately get bounced out? I've only seen that 8 of the 10 times the Chiefs made the playoffs in the past 23 years.

I desperately hope I'm wrong about this trade. If any of these incoming rookie quarterbacks amount to anything...

Absolute dogshit production from the QB spot and some of the worst coaching possible. Even in a "if they got a couple of bounces the other way" point of view, they were legitimately 2-14 bad.

Godslay

Banned
You know it's a great trade when the general response is "Hey, now the Chiefs might be able to go the playoffs now!" Because isn't the point of football to make the playoffs and immediately get bounced out? I've only seen that 8 of the 10 times the Chiefs made the playoffs in the past 23 years.

I desperately hope I'm wrong about this trade. If any of these incoming rookie quarterbacks amount to anything...

They very well could be terrible again. At least they are giving it a decent shot at improving. They got rid of Crenel, snagged a great pick up in Reid, dumped Pioli (which all of Chiefs land wanted from what I could tell), now have upgraded Cassel, and are trying to retain their talent. Add in a good draft, and realistically it has been a good offseason for the Chiefs. They could have not responded at all and you would have been more upset. At least this way there is some hope for improvement?

Quikies83

They very well could be terrible again. At least they are giving it a decent shot at improving. They got rid of Crenel, snagged a great pick up in Reid, dumped Pioli (which all of Chiefs land wanted from what I could tell), now have upgraded Cassel, and are trying to retain their talent. Add in a good draft, and realistically it has been a good offseason for the Chiefs. They could have not responded at all and you would have been more upset. At least this way there is some hope for improvement?

Chiefs fans will bitch no matter what...
I'm coming around on the trade -- mostly because it's a huge improvement over Cassel/Quinn and will give us a much better chance at winning and competing in the AFCW.
I just feel really bad giving up the #34 pick and a possible equivalent pick in next years draft.
And yes, we all were begging for Clark to fire Pioli, Crennel, and to cut Casshole. That was a big point of the Save Our Chiefs movement that flew banners over Arrowhead.
It has definitely been a exciting offseason.

Drakeon

Cannot believe the deal we got for Smith. I'm amazed. Not sure how I feel about Revis, dealing with his ass wanting more money every year sounds like a headache.

I don't mind the Reid hiring, despite his gameday management. I'm glad Pioli is gone.

I just need to see proof that Smith is better than Cassel. And not slightly better, but at least "1-2 high draft picks worth of talent" better. As far as retaining talent, I get the sense that only Bowe is being resigned. Maybe they resign Albert as well. If they don't, and draft a LT instead, that's treading water.

Hopefully I'll look back at this decision and feel like an idiot for doubting it.

Quikies83

I don't mind the Reid hiring, despite his gameday management. I'm glad Pioli is gone.

I just need to see proof that Smith is better than Cassel. And not slightly better, but at least "1-2 high draft picks worth of talent" better. As far as retaining talent, I get the sense that only Bowe is being resigned. Maybe they resign Albert as well. If they don't, and draft a LT instead, that's treading water.

Hopefully I'll look back at this decision and feel like an idiot for doubting it.

Casey Printers was 1-2 high draft picks better than Cassel.

Quikies83

Who else is making a lot of money that can be converted

Brandon Carr signed a 50 million deal right theres some. Cowboys was the most over right when who ever posted the over/under cap thing a couple days ago

I don't think Carr would restructure after only his first season (with the cowboys). He left KC to get PAID.

seriously? compare their last 2 years:

Cassell - 16 pass TD's, 1 rush TD, 21 int's, 9 fumbles lost, 71.6 QB rating

Alex - 30 pass TD's, 2 rush TD's, 10 int's, 3 fumbles lost, 97.4 QB rating

use whatever excuse is convenient for you as to why there is a giant gap between the two but alex smith will rarely ever lose a game for you and every now and again he will actually win a game for you. cassell has been horrible. maybe it's the coaching and maybe it's not, but even if you took alex's numbers under mike singletary (guaranteed a worse coaching group than what cassell has ever had) and his numbers are superior to cassell.

but i don't need to trot the numbers out. you only need to watch both QB's to see the difference. alex smith isn't a franchise QB but i would expect the chiefs to compete for the division this year

effzee

Is it me or are there tons more restructured contracts this off season than ever before? Waiting on you Nnamdi!

Also Ez a few pages back you mentioned the myth of Reid and running the ball. The myth isn't that its not successful, its about the frequency. I think its been mentioned many times, and even Francessa was talking about it today on his show, that Reid has been the most pass happy coach in the history of the NFL. Its not because he doesn't have a running game or RBs to use, but he uses them far more in the passing game and rushes the ball only when the team has a size-able lead in the 2nd half.

All the more frustrating when you see the talent he has had at RB, which has been so much more consistent compared to QB and WRs, and his criminal neglect for the running game. Tons of redzone turnovers and inefficiencies can be chalked up to never running the ball and always trying to outsmart defenses.

I imagine with Smith, and especially in the beginning, he will run a very similar vanilla offense he ran in McNabb's rookie season when Doug Pederson was the starting QB. Coincidentally Doug Pederson is his offensive coordinator in KC.

jakncoke

Banned
Your last post was the first I read before replying. I don't see Carr's contract even being looked at.

Before Ware restructure they were 20 million over, so they are 15 now. Gotta do something to get some money. Who else makes a lot of money on the Cowboys? Who can be cut to save money?

Before Ware restructure they were 20 million over, so they are 15 now. Gotta do something to get some money. Who else makes a lot of money on the Cowboys? Who can be cut to save money?
LB Dan Connor is due 3 million. He's been asked to take a substantial pay cut or he will be cut. That's a start....

BigAT

There has been a fair amount of chatter about Miles Austin being on the chopping block.

Quikies83

The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou wasnt good

iF0YxHY82VpvM.gif

Top Bottom