• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread 2013 - Here comes the wait

effzee

Surprised to see Teo still in the first in any mocks. I heard some draft guy yesterday say he thought he would fall in the 3rd/4th round now.

I doubt he falls to the 3rd or 4rth round.

There is plenty of tape on him. A bad workout at the combine won't doom him that far down. He still has his pro day and he can remedy a lot of the negative from the workouts. The guy was still productive and won awards. I think he slides to the 2nd round furthest.

squicken

Rutgers played Tyler Wilson and Teddy Bridgewater and I was honestly more impressed with Wilson. The windows Wilson were throwing the balls were pretty small and he was under seige the entire time, while Bridgewater had all day to throw in the pocket (even though he was crippled from the game he played against Uconn the last week). I guess you can really throw out that Rutgers game as he was pretty much a cripple and Rutgers totally called off all the dogs.

Clowney's easily number 1 next year unless the top team's desperate for a qb.

Cool. Interested in someone who has seen a lot of his games opinion. It was a really down conference, and even in the FL game, it didn't seem there hearts were totally in it. Walter Football also does mocks for 2014, and has he and Manziel as 1&2

As far as Brandt's mock, I honestly am more interested in Hopkins than Patterson. Getting to see more of Patterson's tape, I just don't think he's the player his physical attributes suggest. I'm just glad people stopped mocking Keenan Allen so high in the first round. He's pretty clearly a number 2 NFL WR to me

As far as Brandt's mock, I honestly am more interested in Hopkins than Patterson. Getting to see more of Patterson's tape, I just don't think he's the player his physical attributes suggest. I'm just glad people stopped mocking Keenan Allen so high in the first round. He's pretty clearly a number 2 NFL WR to me
What don't you like about Patterson? I haven't seen much of him besides some highlight reels of his time at TN but he looks phenomenal in those. Explosive cutting ability, great hands, good downfield vision for YAC, comes back to the ball and fights for position, etc. I'm really not sure what his weaknesses would be but like I said I haven't seen much of him.

Someone told me that Teddy Bruschi said he had fallen into the 4th. Maybe that's where you heard it?

No there was a draft guy on 94.1 yesterday afternoon, but I missed the first part where they said his name. He said he had heard teams were disappointed that he didnt bench even though it was just a stinger, and that his 40 time coupled with his poor showings against good teams would make him drop. I am really fascinated by the whole Teo thing. I wonder if ESPN will invite him to the draft. He could be in for a long wait, plus then the fake girlfriend thing will come up every time they show him, but I think they invite all the guys who could go in the 1st.

Damn I hadnt even considered that option. Makes sense though. It always sucks for the guys sitting there after everyone else has been called.

squicken

What don't you like about Patterson? I haven't seen much of him besides some highlight reels of his time at TN but he looks phenomenal in those. Explosive cutting ability, great hands, good downfield vision for YAC, comes back to the ball and fights for position, etc. I'm really not sure what his weaknesses would be but like I said I haven't seen much of him.

He struggled with press. And the problem was that he gave up a lot, or let himself be easily re-routed. I guess my big concern was that he only played one year of at a major school, and seems pretty raw. The Rams already have a developmental guy in Brian Quick

Hopkins definitely isn't as fast, but he has great hands and is super-competitive. I worry about his ability to separate, but I think he could be a Plax/Boldin kind of guy who just knows how to create space and make tough catches

eznark

Banned
He struggled with press. And the problem was that he gave up a lot, or let himself be easily re-routed. I guess my big concern was that he only played one year of at a major school, and seems pretty raw. The Rams already have a developmental guy in Brian Quick

Hopkins definitely isn't as fast, but he has great hands and is super-competitive. I worry about his ability to separate, but I think he could be a Plax/Boldin kind of guy who just knows how to create space and make tough catches

Hopkins is going to be the most productive receiver to come out of this class and I don't think it will be particularly close.

Yeah, I think you're right about him being pretty raw. The point about him struggling with press is new to me, I'd be curious to see it in some footage.

I haven't seen anything about Hopkins yet beyond his game against the Hokies last season (and I don't remember anything from that).

eznark

Banned
Yeah, I think you're right about him being pretty raw. The point about him struggling with press is new to me, I'd be curious to see it in some footage.

I haven't seen anything about Hopkins yet beyond his game against the Hokies last season (and I don't remember anything from that).

He reminds me a whole lot of Donald Driver (or Cris Carter if you want to be less GB-centric). He doesn't pop off the paper at you but he has enough speed to get behind a guy on a double move, fantastic hands, a competitive fierceness and has amazing football instincts. He also showed a ton of body control and made some really difficult, concentration based catches that you just can't coach. The guy looked real, real special every time I saw him.

He reminds me a whole lot of Donald Driver (or Cris Carter if you want to be less GB-centric). He doesn't pop off the paper at you but he has enough speed to get behind a guy on a double move, fantastic hands, a competitive fierceness and has amazing football instincts. He also showed a ton of body control and made some really difficult, concentration based catches that you just can't coach. The guy looked real, real special every time I saw him.
I like the sound of that. So in other words, the Dolphins should sign Jennings, draft a CB in the first round, and pick up Hopkins in the mid to late second. That's what I'm hearing, anyway.

squicken

It's something that's mentioned with most of his scouting reports, but it's not something that shows up in most Youtube highlight reels. He doesn't run hard when the ball isn't going to him, and for a guy his size, he isn't real physical at the LoS. It's not uncommon, and Mayock and others love him. Probably the highest ceiling of any WR in the draft, but a low floor as well

eznark

Banned
I like the sound of that. So in other words, the Dolphins should sign Jennings, draft a CB in the first round, and pick up Hopkins in the mid to late second. That's what I'm hearing, anyway.

I don't think he will last to pick 45 or wherever the Dolphins second is. Seems like there is always a receiver who someone "reaches" for based on what the experts mock and I could see Hopkins being that guy. I don't see how a team like the Jets and Bills and Lions could all pass on him. I could also see him going late first if Keenan Allen goes early.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
I'm surprised Wilson wasn't that accurate. Makes me think that Arkansas just had really good receivers then.

They did, 2 years ago.

Joe Adams
Cobi Hamilton
Jarius Wright
Greg Childs
and the TE Dennis Johnson were all quality in the pass catching department.

Wilson still was a 62/63% passer, with them.

Also, might have to consider that all of these players were playing above their standards, under Petrino's system.

It's something that's mentioned with most of his scouting reports, but it's not something that shows up in most Youtube highlight reels. He doesn't run hard when the ball isn't going to him, and for a guy his size, he isn't real physical at the LoS. It's not uncommon, and Mayock and others love him. Probably the highest ceiling of any WR in the draft, but a low floor as well
Hmm, the laziness comment is very concerning. Considering his size you'd think a good coach could help him improve his play against press but coaching away laziness is probably a lot more difficult.

I don't think he will last to pick 45 or wherever the Dolphins second is. Seems like there is always a receiver who someone "reaches" for based on what the experts mock and I could see Hopkins being that guy. I don't see how a team like the Jets and Bills and Lions could all pass on him.
In that latest mock from WalterFootball they've got him going at 41 to the Bills. The Dolphins have the 42nd pick and also the 54th. Some mocks are showing him in the first round, though. I guess we'll see what happens but I feel like they have to go for a WR with either a first or second round pick.

squicken

I don't think he will last to pick 45 or wherever the Dolphins second is. Seems like there is always a receiver who someone "reaches" for based on what the experts mock and I could see Hopkins being that guy. I don't see how a team like the Jets and Bills and Lions could all pass on him. I could also see him going late first if Keenan Allen goes early.

KC basically saying that there isn't a QB that they even value at 34 kind of worries me. If none (or just Geno) of the QBs go early then it pushes everyone else up. It's way early, but at this point I'm fine with Austin, Hopkins, or Eifert as first round guys. Less so on Patterson, and no on Allen. I just don't see what people like about him

More news on the Will Beatty contract with the Giants. His 2013 cap number is only 3.55 million as his base salary is a paltry 1 million dollars this year.

Beatty's salaries jump to $4.85M (in 2014), $5.5M (2015), $6.625M (2016), and $6.775M (2017).

Pretty nice deal overall. Curious to see the cap hit breakdowns as the years progress but I'm ecstatic they wrapped him up long term. I hope they can do the same for Boothe. We'd go into the season with only RT being of major concern as opposed to two big holes up front.

KC basically saying that there isn't a QB that they even value at 34 kind of worries me. If none (or just Geno) of the QBs go early then it pushes everyone else up.
Teams will reach as they usually do. Geno will go in the first and I can see a team like the Cardinals reaching for Barkley. We always have a surprise or two on that front.

eznark

Banned
KC basically saying that there isn't a QB that they even value at 34 kind of worries me. If none (or just Geno) of the QBs go early then it pushes everyone else up. It's way early, but at this point I'm fine with Austin, Hopkins, or Eifert as first round guys. Less so on Patterson, and no on Allen. I just don't see what people like about him

I'm guessing he will definitely be available to the Packers (Allen) and I am dreading that pick.

Teams always kind of talk down on QB's going into the draft and always end up biting anyway. I think there is a lot of mid-round gamesmanship going on or teams trying to talk guys down into the second so they can jump there. If any of the top 5 are available when the Jets and Bills pick I think they clearly bite. To me that means the Jets get Barkley!

I'm guessing he will definitely be available to the Packers (Allen) and I am dreading that pick.

Teams always kind of talk down on QB's going into the draft and always end up biting anyway. I think there is a lot of mid-round gamesmanship going on or teams trying to talk guys down into the second so they can jump there. If any of the top 5 are available when the Jets and Bills pick I think they clearly bite. To me that means the Jets get Barkley!

Man I hope that happens. It would provide countless hours of entertainment.

Draxal

Cool. Interested in someone who has seen a lot of his games opinion. It was a really down conference, and even in the FL game, it didn't seem there hearts were totally in it. Walter Football also does mocks for 2014, and has he and Manziel as 1&2

Big East was weird last year the offences were garbage but the defences were legit. UConn and Rutgers put alot of defensive players into the combine/ draft this year. If I were you I'd try to watch the Conn/Ville game. I forget exactly when Bridge water got hurt though. Ville did lose that game at home.

That is when the Eagles as a team were pretty damn good all around. Really solid D, BWEST, and a little less insane Reid. Even then Detmer looked good in one game against the then crappy 49ers.

Not saying he can't work with Alex Smith but he will have to go back to using the strengths of his QB instead of being hell bent on running his crazy system.

Whenever he would lose McNabb and feel "handcuffed" by using the backup his play calling would get so much better. He's a brilliant football mind that needs a choke collar.

bjb

Banned
How come no one has ever called out Bob Kraft publicly on his bullshit?

Dude has campaigns and ads celebrating his dead wife. The Patriots even use the motto "For Myra" during the season with a patch on their jerseys. But after she's dead and six feet under - he's running around with blondes half his age

What a piece of shit.

eznark

Banned

Dude has campaigns and ads celebrating his dead wife. The Patriots even use the motto "For Myra" during the season with a patch on their jerseys. But after she's dead and six feet under - he's running around with blondes half his age

What a piece of shit.

Are widowers never supposed to get laid again??

WedgeX

Banned

What a piece of shit.

Maybe she'd want him to be happy /downtonabbey

Talon

Zubaz are back.
proxy.jpg

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
They did, 2 years ago.

Joe Adams
Cobi Hamilton
Jarius Wright
Greg Childs
and the TE Dennis Johnson were all quality in the pass catching department.

Wilson still was a 62/63% passer, with them.

Also, might have to consider that all of these players were playing above their standards, under Petrino's system.

The whole thing buckling under John L. "SMILE!" Smith I suppose was a hint that they weren't as good as advertised.

I guess Wilson will be a day three kind of guy in this draft.

JerMichael Finley says he's not taking a paycut:
"I'd have to walk for sure, meaning I couldn't take a pay cut," he told ESPN. "Maybe I'd restructure if it's a deal that I like and it makes sense, but I'm not the guy that's just going to sign anything and let anything pass.

"I'm not that guy. Other than that, taking a pay cut or restructuring doesn't sound good to me at this time. I like my deal. I start training in Minneapolis [on Thursday] and I'm more inspired than ever to start next season off right and be the tight end I know I can be. It's all business at the end of the day. I just love what I do."
Dropping balls for lyfe.

eznark

Banned
Wow, what would possess him to say something like that? Even if you fell that way it seems really dumb to go public with it.

He wants to get cut. Also he is incredibly stupid. To the point where it's shocking he can function as a living and breathing human being. He's Dez Bryant dumb.

Some people just cant stand idly by while evil is allowed to profit and feel it is their duty to call attention to it. Sounds like Suggs is a hero to me.

You're just a little whiny bitch like Suggs.

You're the Suggs of NFL-GAF, bitching wise, not quality wise, since he is a good player.

Top Bottom