• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread 2013 - Here comes the wait

jakncoke

Banned
You disgust me

tumblr_m4l4s2OCMa1qk55epo1_500.gif

Well you either like Wes Anderson's style or you don't. His movies definitely have their own unique style. I love his humor.

I liked The Darjeeling Unlimited, The Royal Tenenbaums, Moonrise Kingdom. I dont know what it was about that one though didnt do anything for me, been forever since I seen it though maybe my opinion will change on it, has happened to me a few times with movies that I didnt like at first.

alex smith will rarely ever lose a game for you and every now and again he will actually win a game for you.

Sterling praise.

alex smith isn't a franchise QB but i would expect the chiefs to compete for the division this year

Alex Smith not being a franchise quarterback is exactly the reason why I don't like this trade. I'm not buying that Harbaugh-coached Smith is going to have the same success under Reid. I don't care about making the playoffs, maybe winning one game and losing. Winning the Super Bowl is all I'm concerned with.

under mike singletary (guaranteed a worse coaching group than what cassell has ever had)

Let's have a Singletary/Crennel quote/coach-off.

eznark

Banned
Alex Smith not being a franchise quarterback is exactly the reason why I don't like this trade. I'm not buying that Harbaugh-coached Smith is going to have the same success under Reid. I don't care about making the playoffs, maybe winning one game and losing. Winning the Super Bowl is all I'm concerned with.

lol, you didn't give up franchise QB value so why are you so irrational about it? He's a huge upgrade the biggest position of need and will help immediately. It's a slight overpay but if it doesn't work out you aren't stuck with a Sam Bradford like you would be if you took one of the clowns in this QB class. Case closed.

That God of War demo sure was God of War.

lol, you didn't give up franchise QB value so why are you so irrational about it? He's a huge upgrade the biggest position of need and will help immediately. It's a slight overpay but if it doesn't work out you aren't stuck with a Sam Bradford like you would be if you took one of the clowns in this QB class. Case closed.

The Chiefs refusing to draft a quarterback has bred my irrationality. Like I've said before, I just want them to try. It's possible that none of these incoming quarterbacks will ever amount to anything.

Steve DeBerg, Mark Vlasic, Dave Kreig, Joe Montana, Steve Bono, Rich Gannon, Elvis Grbac, Warren Moon, Trent Green, Damon Huard, Brodie Croyle, Tyler Thigpen, Matt Cassel, Tyler Palko, Kyle Orton, Brady Quinn.

That's the Chiefs quarterbacking lineage. At times, some great play from those guys. But a lot of fucking garbage, and only Brodie Croyle was drafted by the Chiefs.

Sterling praise.

Let's have a Singletary/Crennel quote/coach-off.

ok what QB were you going to get with a 2nd round pick that would win the superbowl for you this year? no matter what you think about alex now or have ever thought about him, he is an incredible teammate and i think he will perform well in KC. on one hand yes jim harbaugh has a system and it has been a successful system. on the other hand, a lot of the terminology will be the same in KC under andy reid so i don't see it as alex having to learn a "whole new offense". i'm sure reid is going to tailor the offense around alex's strengths. remember the chiefs have some good pieces on offense and i think if reid commits to the run (like he did when jeff garcia was in philly, for instance) then alex can have success.

you say a superbowl is the only thing that matters and after its all said and done ultimately that is true. but take it from a guy who had 8 years of absolute shit: when you are in the middle of it, you will take any way to get into the playoffs and just be relevant and have something to be excited about

FMT, I think the Chiefs can make the playoffs with Alex. The team has more than enough pieces to do so, and they play in a bad division. I think they can even win a playoff game, and with the right breaks maybe two. But I just don't see him elevating his play to the level you need your quarterback to be at to win the Super Bowl.

I couldn't name a guy in the second round that I think is a franchise guy, but by trading a high 2nd rounder for Alex Smith, it's signaled to me that the Chiefs aren't taking a quarterback this year, and by throwing in what could end up being a 2nd rounder in next year's draft, they have even less ammo to make a trade should they like a quarterback next year. And then you're counting on a guy like Teddy Bridgewater to not regress or stay in school.

As to your last point, I get it. I can't say that I've seen my team miss the playoffs for 8 straight years, but in the past 2 years, you've watched your team win as many playoff games as my team has since 1991. I've never seen the team owned by Lamar Hunt lift the Lamar Hunt trophy, let alone watch them win the Super Bowl. I have however watched them make the playoffs, get excited and then watch them lose immediately. Too much of it in fact.

If the Chiefs make the playoffs, I'll get excited all over again. Despite my crying on here, I'm not that much of a dour shithead. But fuck, when are these assholes going to draft a QB?

Roto:
ESPN's Chris Mortensen reported on NFL 32 Wednesday that the Raiders have interest in West Virginia QB Geno Smith with the No. 3 overall pick in the draft.
"Word around the NFL is the Raiders have interest in Geno Smith with that third overall pick in the draft," said Mort. "Now I can't get this confirmed by the team, but Geno Smith is a guy that everybody sees as a top-10 pick right now -- not everybody -- but he's got a chance to go in the top ten. And if the Raiders do like him, you better take him at No. 3." Mortensen indicated that Oakland would likely release Carson Palmer if Smith were drafted.
It might not be the raiders, but i don't think Geno makes it out of the top ten.

You guys drafted Ricky Stanzi!

That's another thing. Stanzi likely isn't worth a shit, but I didn't see the value in the Chiefs playing Quinn over him once Cassel went down. He had a bad half of football in a preseason game, and he's rotted on the bench since. Let those luscious locks of hair flow do their thing.

Doomsayer

Hai guyz.

Can't believe the deal we got for Alex, thank you based Hargod.

I will say this though: I'll miss you Alex. You were a true professional and a classy guy. I wish you the best.

Do all the 9er fans just pretend like the Alex Smith years without Harbaugh don't exist?

They do, but it doesn't change the fact that he was the best option out there and the Chiefs weren't going to get anyone as good as him with their second round pick. Now he can go to a loser team and be exposed for the career loser he is

Do all the 9er fans just pretend like the Alex Smith years without Harbaugh don't exist?

if he was going to a team like the raiders with a bum coach who has had no history of success with QB's i'd say yeah that will be a problem. but alex has proven with good offensive coaching he can have success. i think andy reid will be good for alex

Malleymal

You now belong to FMT.
im happy about the Alex Smith Trade.. I don't know... I wanted him on the team since they benched him for Kap.. if Reid can keep his confidence up and the O plays well enough to keep the D off the field for a decent amount of time, then we will be ok.

Last year we saw 5 rookie qb's start and three of them made the playoffs but this year I think it's safe to say those numbers are going to be zero. 2012 was a crazy season.

eznark

Banned
After watching the package Billick put together on Smith I wouldn't touch him with a ten foot pole. How he missed so many wide, wide open throws while totally unpressured against awful defenses is just beyond me. Though I guess it makes sense. Dude threw 71% of his passes under 9 yards. That's awful. Especially against the competition he was facing.

lol almost a quarter of South Carolina's passes were 30+ yards. I fucking love Spurrier so much.

@AdamSchefter: RT @evansilva: Brady Quinn expected to end up with Jets, according to @mortreport

:bfb

squicken

After watching the package Billick put together on Smith I wouldn't touch him with a ten foot pole. How he missed so many wide, wide open throws while totally unpressured against awful defenses is just beyond me. Though I guess it makes sense. Dude threw 71% of his passes under 9 yards. That's awful. Especially against the competition he was facing.

lol almost a quarter of South Carolina's passes were 30+ yards. I fucking love Spurrier so much.

:bfb

That he's gone from the fun and gun to a power running/deep passing game is pretty nuts. Too bad the NFL was incompatible with his 36 holes a day lifestyle

eznark

Banned
That he's gone from the fun and gun to a power running/deep passing game is pretty nuts. Too bad the NFL was incompatible with his 36 holes a day lifestyle

Eh, he is better off at SC. He'd never be able to do some of the stuff he does at a pro level.

That chart makes me think highly of Boyd, but a lot of that might be because of the amazing receiving corps he has. Still, throwing 30% of your throws 10-25 yards shows a lot of confidence in your arm and decisions making. He already impressed the fuck out of me in his bowl game. Seems like McNair reincarnated.

squicken

Eh, he is better off at SC. He'd never be able to do some of the stuff he does at a pro level.

That chart makes me think highly of Boyd, but a lot of that might be because of the amazing receiving corps he has. Still, throwing 30% of your throws 10-25 yards shows a lot of confidence in your arm and decisions making. He already impressed the fuck out of me in his bowl game. Seems like McNair reincarnated.

Oh I'm glad he's back. The NFL kind of sucks the personality out of coaches. I love his bizarre hate fest with Clemson

By far the most impressive guy I saw was Bridgewater. Most of what I saw was jsut highlights vs really bad teams, but he backed it up vs Florida. SBN's crude adjusted passing stat seems to back that up.

The guys still in that to me just jumped off the screen last year where Lee, Bridgewater, Clowney, Manziel, and Austin Seferian-Jenkins. First game I saw ASJ play I thought it was nuts he was just a sophomore

Surprised to see Teo still in the first in any mocks. I heard some draft guy yesterday say he thought he would fall in the 3rd/4th round now.

effzee

Reid was able to make AJ Feeley and Koy Detmer look good so Alex has a shot.

That is when the Eagles as a team were pretty damn good all around. Really solid D, BWEST, and a little less insane Reid. Even then Detmer looked good in one game against the then crappy 49ers.

Not saying he can't work with Alex Smith but he will have to go back to using the strengths of his QB instead of being hell bent on running his crazy system.

Gil Brandt has his latest mock up. Keeps Te'o in the first round (barely) for those wondering.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2013/mock-drafts/gil-brandt/165254

I think Dion Jordan goes earlier than he has him. I'm surprised to see Fluker as high as he is on the mock. Seems to be a second half of the first type from most of the mocks I've seen.

Walter Football also updated their mock yesterday with the Alex Smith trade in mind.

http://walterfootball.com/draft2013.php
The Dolphins have a bad secondary (and some other less severe holes on defense) but I'd still be sad to see them pass on Patterson if he's available (especially if Millner is gone, which he likely will be). Taking a DE in the first makes very little sense to me as well. It's definitely a need but I'm not sure why it needs to be addressed that early.

Draxal

Oh I'm glad he's back. The NFL kind of sucks the personality out of coaches. I love his bizarre hate fest with Clemson

By far the most impressive guy I saw was Bridgewater. Most of what I saw was jsut highlights vs really bad teams, but he backed it up vs Florida. SBN's crude adjusted passing stat seems to back that up.

The guys still in that to me just jumped off the screen last year where Lee, Bridgewater, Clowney, Manziel, and Austin Seferian-Jenkins. First game I saw ASJ play I thought it was nuts he was just a sophomore

Rutgers played Tyler Wilson and Teddy Bridgewater and I was honestly more impressed with Wilson. The windows Wilson were throwing the balls were pretty small and he was under seige the entire time, while Bridgewater had all day to throw in the pocket (even though he was crippled from the game he played against Uconn the last week). I guess you can really throw out that Rutgers game as he was pretty much a cripple and Rutgers totally called off all the dogs.

Clowney's easily number 1 next year unless the top team's desperate for a qb.

2005 Jonas Jennings top OT FA plays 3 games. Moves Kwame Harris to RT where he was a joke to 49ers fans long before everyone else this year.

2006 Kwame Harris encore didn't disappoint. Antonio Bryant kicked off the team being arrested for going over 100mph possibly after drinking.

2007 was a great year.

Stellar crew of of WRs
Arnaz Battle
Darrell Jackson
Ashley Lelie

post 2007 they went on to catch 52 passes total.

Vernon Davis had A 30+ yard catch, 1. It was Smith the week before the shoulder injury.
The incompetence of Singletary and co figured out a way to get big plays from him.

2008 hurt.

2009-2010 the aforementioned incompetence of Singlertary and a powerful but young *and in the case of Chilo Rachal, stupid* O-Line trying to relive the NFL of the past.

Top Bottom