• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread 2013 - Here comes the wait

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Despite my reputation, I'm not terribly well versed in racial epithets. Can someone give me a hand, read between the lines of this story, and tell me what he said?

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1702837/nascar-jeremy-clements-mtv-blogger.jhtml

I assumed at first he said "n---- rigged" since that is a ridiculously overused term with hillbilly car guys but it sounds like maybe not.

That's the only one I've ever heard in Arkansas.

n----- beater?

I have no idea. The rigged one is really the only phrase I've heard using the n word since white guilt has been even in Arkansas since at least the 90s (lol). It's been a long time since I've known an actual crazy racist.

eznark

Banned
Greg Olsen has restructured!!!!!!!!!

bigsgtslaughter.jpg

My god, the selflessness and humility on display from these NFL heroes really exemplifies the American spirit. It's an honor to simply be able to type the names of these brave men and women.

Your OL was bad at 4 positions, bad QB, no RBs. Your D is good, and it is wrong to say that it's a bad roster, but you are shifting schemes, and it's a big drop off from horton to bowels

LG and even C is serviceable for now (want to draft a quality Center soon though). RG is a plague and LT needs an upgrade though Potter showed promise and will at least finally give us decent depth. I do NOT want Levi as our starting LT, but he's a hell of a lot better than Batiste. We have an opportunity to literally address the OL situation in this one off season with the talent available in FA and the draft. Grab Albert or draft Fisher, grab Letive? forget the spelling of his name but the Buffalo guard or draft Warmack. Depending how the first round goes, could get Warford in the second round. There are just a lot of great options/scenarios to fix the OL this season.

I honestly think we can win plenty of games with Kolb if we have a solid OL. Once he quits having flashbacks of being smashed into the turf and gets out of his own head, the guy showed some flashes last season. Is he our franchise guy? no, but he's good enough until we find that guy. Restructure his deal so it's palatable and hope the enhanced protection keeps him on the field. If Geno falls to us, I'm on the Geno bandwagon but I'm not excited about a single other QB in the draft.

I was really worried about going from Horton to Bowles but thank god we are largely keeping the same scheme. We are just tweaking a few things, a few wrinkles that will allow a few guys to slide over and play in a different scheme that suits them better. Still a 3-4 and most of the guys will be asked to do the same thing. So I imagine it should be fairly safe and the D will still thrive. This is all lip service until I see it on the field but I'm at least optimistic which is a lot more than I could say when I first learned Bowles was coming in.

D is loaded with talent, WR tandem is really talented (Floyd will be good, just wait), Housler is coming into his own at TE. I expect us to draft a RB to fix that situation and this is one of the few positions where a rookie can be productive almost out the gate. I also expect us to draft a speed WR for Arians scheme and can't wait to see the Card fan rage when we use a third or fourth rounder for it. IF we address the OL, this will not be a bad season for us assuming keeping Kolb from being sacked 80 times a game will keep him healthy (or we draft Geno). I know it seems like a big if but this is as good an off season selection as you could ask for to address the OL and we don't have Whiz to fuck it up so I'm optimistic. Nice depth in the draft and some nice options in FA as well.

Vio-Lence

Banned
Wonder if the Bears get anything done with Henry Melton. I hope the Bears don't franchise him though. If they could trade him for another 2nd round pick, I'd be down with that.

bionic77

Greg Olsen has restructured!!!!!!!!!

bigsgtslaughter.jpg

My god, the selflessness and humility on display from these NFL heroes really exemplifies the American spirit. It's an honor to simply be able to type the names of these brave men and women.
If Olsen is an American hero what does that make HOFinley who won't take a paycut to play for the Packers?

I see you motherfucker, some people aren't slaves to the man and can hang out with their kids while you are out ambulance chasing!
I am pretty sure that Social Security Disability is the number one source of income for people in the Midwest and South, without honest and hardworking people like me and my brothers those people would have to beg on the streets or seek gainful employment. You have brave lawyers like myself to thank for that!

Cards have released William Gay as well.

Arizona Cardinals @AZCardinals

The @AZCardinals have released LB Stewart Bradley and CB William Gay. #AZCards

Franchise and transition tag numbers for those interested:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap10...se-franchise-tag-numbers?campaign=Twitter_atl

Quarterback: 14,896,000/13,068,000
Running back: 8,219,000/6,970,000
Wide receiver: 10,537,000/8,867,000
Tight end: 6,066,000/5,194,000
Offensive lineman: 9,828,000/8,709,000
Defensive tackle: 8,450,000/7,039,000
Defensive end: 11,175,000/9,151,000
Linebacker: 9,619,000/8,358,000
Cornerback: 10,854,000/9,095,000
Safety: 6,916,000/6,002,000
Kicker/punter: 2,977,000/2,700,000

squicken

I also expect us to draft a speed WR for Arians scheme and can't wait to see the Card fan rage when we use a third or fourth rounder for it. IF we address the OL, this will not be a bad season for us assuming keeping Kolb from being sacked 80 times a game will keep him healthy (or we draft Geno). I know it seems like a big if but this is as good an off season selection as you could ask for to address the OL and we don't have Whiz to fuck it up so I'm optimistic. Nice depth in the draft and some nice options in FA as well.

I don't wish ill on any person, but it is going to be something watching Arians try and run his offense with that offensive line

Wes

venison crêpe
Only just read about Smith going to the Chiefs. Not sure how to feel about this now it's done. I doubt he's the long term answer they need but he'll make them more competitive than they have been for sure. A second rounder + a single mid round conditional? I guess that's not such a steep price.

effzee

Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter
Teams with most cap room this am: CINCY $54 million under; CLEV $48 mil; MIAMI $47 mil; INDY $44.5 mil; PHIL $33.5 mi; TB $32.5 mil.

Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter
Teams with least room this am: CAR $8 mil over cap; NO $5.5 mil over; WASH $3 mil over; AZ $1.2 mil over; OAK $800k over.

Sucks to be AZ and OAK. Bad roster and bad cap

Pointless and something that can be fixed right away.

Speaking of the Cardinals cutting cap space.

Ha Cardinals love taking our rejects. They did fool us with DRC gotta give them that.

I don't wish ill on any person, but it is going to be something watching Arians try and run his offense with that offensive line

It's like you skipped the majority of my post...Haven't you said yourself this is a great draft for OL?

Finally checked twitter again and we released Bradley and Gay (thank god) which saves us 5.25 mil. Under the cap already and we haven't even done any restructures yet. Kolb alone should save us some nice change.

Pointless and something that can be fixed right away.

Ha Cardinals love taking our rejects. They did fool us with DRC gotta give them that.

You guys are only up 2-1 in that regard and we didn't trade for Bradley at least. Ridiculous the contract we gave him though...and Kolb's...sigh

They were far better at taking Steelers rejects though. Whisenhunt was about as predictable as they come when free agency started. Whatever Steeler cast off was out there, he was going to bring in....

I do still giggle a little bit at the media claiming the Eagles had "three shut down corners" when the trade happened and Nnamdi was signed.

Kinda surprised that G.I. Joe died off.

Cardinals are Steelers West bro. Nick Eason, Joey Porter, William Gay, Clark Haggans, Crezdon Butler, Deshea Townsend, Kevin Spencer, Ray Horton, Ken Whisenhunt, Russ Grimm, and Bruce Arians. Arizona is where Steelers go to die.

bionic77

That shit doesn't work or make sense without Russia and the Cold War.

It seemed like all those action tv shows and movies died shortly after Rocky IV when Rocky knocked out Drago and ended the Cold War on the big screen and in real life.

effzee

They were far better at taking Steelers rejects though. Whisenhunt was about as predictable as they come when free agency started. Whatever Steeler cast off was out there, he was going to bring in....

I do still giggle a little bit at the media claiming the Eagles had "three shut down corners" when the trade happened and Nnamdi was signed.

I'm not going to give shit to our FO for loading up at CB. I mean their terrible drafts put us in that position so yeah its their fault but signing Nnamdi made all the sense in the world. We had the cap room, the need, and he was the prize FA of that off season. DRC was supposed to be the icing on the cake. Now it didn't work out but at the time they were smart moves.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member

It seemed like all those action tv shows and movies died shortly after Rocky IV when Rocky knocked out Drago and ended the Cold War on the big screen and in real life.

Also it's all about international money.

You can't sell a show that idolizes America to Mexico, Canada, China, and Europe.

Yeah, but G.I. Joe had its own terrorist threat. I always thought it was stupid that Hasbro didn't pimp the shit out of G.I. Joe after September 11th, 2001. They could have strip-mined money if they did that.

This movie is 10 years too late.

I'm not going to give shit to our FO for loading up at CB. I mean their terrible drafts put us in that position so yeah its their fault but signing Nnamdi made all the sense in the world. We had the cap room, the need, and he was the prize FA of that off season. DRC was supposed to be the icing on the cake. Now it didn't work out but at the time they were smart moves.
It wasn't a comment on your FO. I specifically mentioned the media as spinning the signings/trade into more than what they were. The hype for Nnamdi was understandable as he had the reputation but DRC and Asante? No one who watches football with any regularity was mistaking either as shut down....

This movie is 10 years too late.
I agree from a standpoint of really striking when the iron was hot in the 80's but even in 2013, the box office will prove whether its still a viable property of not. The first movie made nearly double its budget in both foreign and domestic box office and it was hot garbage....

EDIT: Bengals will be the first to use the franchise tag it looks like:

Adam Schefter @AdamSchefter

They haven't officially done so yet, but Bengals are planning to use franchise tag on DE Michael Johnson.

Bowser

This move brings the Panthers down to approximately $124.6M against the cap, meaning they still have a little bit of work left to get down to the league mandated $123M cap by March 12th. We should expect GM Dave Gettleman to make a few more moves like this in the near future, as they are the best way to trim small parts of the cap off because they allow the Panthers to maintain their roster for next season.

http://www.catscratchreader.com/2013/3/1/4043854/2013-nfl-free-agency-carolina-panthers-restructure-greg-olsens-contract?ref=yahoo

lol, cut Gamble and Ron Edwards and we'll be roughly $9m under the gap. Restructure Gross and Beason, maybe DeAngelo, and we'll probably get to something like $15m under, enough to grab a few FAs and sign our draft class.

Worst salary cap situation in the league my ass! GETTLEMAGIC

bionic77

Yeah, but G.I. Joe had its own terrorist threat. I always thought it was stupid that Hasbro didn't pimp the shit out of G.I. Joe after September 11th, 2001. They could have strip-mined money if they did that.
The goal of GI Joe is to sell toys.

When the enemy is a bunch of bearded guys hiding in caves and our side has nukes, stealth bombers and drones it doesn't work to sell toys.

When Russia was our enemy there were crazy airplanes, tanks, missiles from both sides. A lot of the toys were just copies of actual military hardware. I remember there was a crazy Cobra copy of the Blackbird that I loved.

Weirdly enough even though I hated Cobra they had the coolest shit and that made me want to play as Cobra when I played with my friends and because I was playing as Cobra I wanted to win!

effzee

It wasn't a comment on your FO. I specifically mentioned the media as spinning the signings into more than what they were. The hype for Nnamdi was understandable as he had the reputation but DRC and Asante? No one who watches football with any regularity was mistaking either as shut down....

Which is why its all the more sad that of the three Asante is still playing at a high level. He played the best out of the three when they were together and he plays well for the Falcons. I can never decide who wants to tackle less between Asante and DRC.

The goal of GI Joe is to sell toys.

When the enemy is a bunch of bearded guys hiding in caves and our side has nukes, stealth bombers and drones it doesn't work to sell toys.

When Russia was our enemy there were crazy airplanes, tanks, missiles from both sides. A lot of the toys were just copies of actual military hardware. I remember there was a crazy Cobra copy of the Blackbird that I loved.

Weirdly enough even though I hated Cobra they had the coolest shit and that made me want to play as Cobra when I played with my friends and because I was playing as Cobra I wanted to win!

You don't think toys based on military hardware and soldiers would sell after September 11th? Toys who's primary enemy is 'a terrorist organization determined to rule the Earth', no less.

Cardinals are Steelers West bro. Nick Eason, Joey Porter, William Gay, Clark Haggans, Crezdon Butler, Deshea Townsend, Kevin Spencer, Ray Horton, Ken Whisenhunt, Russ Grimm, and Bruce Arians. Arizona is where Steelers go to die.

Not anymore! With Whiz gone, so dies Steelers West :D

bionic77

You don't think toys based on military hardware and soldiers would sell after September 11th? Toys who's primary enemy is 'a terrorist organization determined to rule the Earth', no less.
They took advantage with videogames and movies, I feel like toys for that age of boys are left behind because they all play videogames and are on the internet now.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Bills beat the Bengals:

That sucks for us. We were in solid negotiations with him, but apparently they fell through so we resorted to the franchise tag. He's going to be gone after this season for sure. Hopefully, he plays lights out to get that contract from the Pats next year.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Disagree. I loved that movie.

That was just the peak for the series. Just like with Transformers and their movie. It went to shit afterwards because they killed off everyone, but it was worth it!

Love the Transformers movie but fuck the Transformers movie back when I was a little kid.

That shit was traumatic. Everyone was dying left and right.

That was just the peak for the series. Just like with Transformers and their movie. It went to shit afterwards because they killed off everyone, but it was worth it!

But the character sucked, flying around on that stupid chariot in that retarded costume. Your old leader had the voice of Starscream, you don't replace that with some doofus in snake pajamas.

Ian Rapoport said:
Looking like #Bills likely will franchise S Jairus Byrd, source says. We'll see what he decides to do. (@AdamSchefter had it first)

I thought they actually already agreed on an extension a while ago? I would love to have him on the Patriots.

Serpentor sucked dog nuts. Show jumped the shark with his creation. At least the Comics were smart and had Cobra Commander kill his sorry ass.
GI Joe went down hill once they created that asinine Serpentor.
Serpentor and Rodimus Prime where voiced by the same guy. Coincidence?

Not anymore! With Whiz gone, so dies Steelers West :D

You're gonna snake at least one more guy from us:

Screen-shot-2010-10-05-at-10.00.00-AM.png

squicken

It's like you skipped the majority of my post...Haven't you said yourself this is a great draft for OL?

Finally checked twitter again and we released Bradley and Gay (thank god) which saves us 5.25 mil. Under the cap already and we haven't even done any restructures yet. Kolb alone should save us some nice change.

I read your whole post. Steelers fans and Colts fans ran down Arians while he was coach. I think he has been extraordinarily lucky to have coached two fo the best pocket movement QBs in the league. I just am not a fan of the fit there. It is a deep draft at OL, but you still need the QB. Kolb isn't a fit for that passing system

More football related news!

Greg A. Bedard said:
DE Michael Johnson would have been a top target for the Patriots. Bengals will tag him

Interesting that the Patriots wanted to go hard after another pass rusher.

effzee

He is the savior to the same group of morons on the Eagles boards who think Foles really is the next big thing being held back by Chip Kelly's fascination with Vick.

The thought of trading or even cutting Foles is blasphemous. Reminds me so much of the Kolb obsession from the minute he was drafted to the day he was traded.

brentech

I guess Donald Driver has been co-hosting a few shows lately. Anyone see them? I imagine he'd be pretty good, but sometimes personality doesn't translate to the ability to speak well and on the spot.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
Cards have released William Gay as well.

Franchise and transition tag numbers for those interested:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap10...se-franchise-tag-numbers?campaign=Twitter_atl

Quarterback: 14,896,000/13,068,000
Running back: 8,219,000/6,970,000
Wide receiver: 10,537,000/8,867,000
Tight end: 6,066,000/5,194,000
Offensive lineman: 9,828,000/8,709,000
Defensive tackle: 8,450,000/7,039,000
Defensive end: 11,175,000/9,151,000
Linebacker: 9,619,000/8,358,000
Cornerback: 10,854,000/9,095,000
Safety: 6,916,000/6,002,000
Kicker/punter: 2,977,000/2,700,000
I thought Flacco was going to get tagged for $20 mil, but it's only $15? What a bargain!

Top Bottom