• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread 2013 - Here comes the wait

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Why is everyone always picking on the Gata?

He always has the best avatars and at least he's not a Lakers bandwagoner.

Also who do the "root for your hometown team" people think us Euros should root for?

Euros and Canadians are exempt.

And preemptive fuck you to everyone who will say I should root for the Bills.

Bills can go fuck themselves.

Milchjon

"@willbrinson: Joe Flacco on what he's going to do with all his new money: "Just gonna look at it I guess.""

"@RapSheet: Joe Flacco was at family pizza night in NJ when his contract news broke. Of course he was. The most Flaccoest thing ever. He's the best."

More than likely not by the Giants if his follow-up tweet is to be believed:

Martellus Bennett @JoeGryffindor

Being on the market is a good thing when you're pretty. Last year I was ugly and I did aight. A prettier Marty this year.

No numbers yet but the Chiefs and Dwayne Bowe have reached a deal:

Adam Schefter @AdamSchefter

Chiefs didn't use tag on WR Dwayne Bowe because they didn't have to. Chiefs and Bowe have reached agreement on a five-year deal.

Curious on the numbers. Should highlight where the Giants go with Cruz in signing him long term.

They've also tagged Branden Albert:

ProFootballTalk @ProFootballTalk

Chiefs tag Branden Albert, per league source.

EDIT: One more KC update:

@AdamSchefter, re-signed Dustin Colquitt.

Curious on the numbers. Should highlight where the Giants go with Cruz in signing him long term.

Chiefs making some smart moves this off season. If Andy is able to do his job and surround himself with a solid coaching staff, they could be pretty okayish.

effzee

This changes the draft board completely. Joeckel and Fischer might both be available at 4. Though I've been warming up to the idea of taking a defensive stud instead.

The Chiefs? Trading down from the first overall spot seems like a real hard thing to do especially this draft. You guys think Sharif Flloyd is going first overall now?

Amendola is walking?
Why would it be a hard thing to do? With the rookie pay scale in place, you're not committing the monetary future of your franchise with the first overall pick. If someone wants to deal? Shouldn't be an issue. Though I suppose you're point may be that someone may not want to deal because the talent level isn't there but who knows that kind of interest Joeckel might pull from a tackle needy team like the Eagles?

As for Amendola - he hasn't and won't be franchised (deadline for using the tag was 4pm today). He'll be an FA unless the Rams work out a deal before March 12th.

The Chiefs? Trading down from the first overall spot seems like a real hard thing to do especially this draft. You guys think Sharif Flloyd is going first overall now?

Not unless they switch to a 4-3, otherwise he'd be kind of a waste for them having to play on the end. Possible they might go with Milliner. Who knows though.

Why would it be a hard thing to do? With the rookie pay scale in place, you're not committing the monetary future of your franchise with the first overall pick. If someone wants to deal? Shouldn't be an issue.

There's just no market for it this year. No top 5 team picking is gonna be able to trade down.

Quikies83

Not unless they switch to a 4-3, otherwise he'd be kind of a waste for them having to play on the end. Possible they might go with Milliner. Who knows though.

There's just no market for it this year. No top 5 team picking is gonna be able to trade down.

We're staying with the 3-4 --- only thing that's changing on Defense is that we're going from a 2-gap to a 1-gap.

squicken

Amendola is walking?

He wants to be paid like he isn't hurt most of the time. I think he's a borderline #1 WR that just can't stay healthy. I want him back, but with good players available in draft at TE and slot, no reason to overpay

Do Giants fans want Bennett back? Is he worse or better than Cook? I just don't want Dustin Keller. Schotty doesn't get to build Jests West

Corner opposite Flowers is a big need, and I'd rather the Chiefs draft a corner than try to fill that hole with Sean Smith.

The most hilarious scenario is still drafting a quarterback #1 overall.

So is it pretty much a given that Flacco is going to have to restructure his contract in 2 years or will the Ravens be able to eat his $30 million cap hold?

Do Giants fans want Bennett back? Is he worse or better than Cook? I just don't want Dustin Keller. Schotty doesn't get to build Jests West
Yep, absolutely. Same conundrum most teams have though - don't want to break the bank on him. Especially considering the position hasn't exactly needed a big money player for years for the Giants.

effzee

They'll still take Joeckel, IMO. They could trade down though.

True Andy could still double up and draft a tackle in addition to keeping Albert.

I know that our oline situation was abysmal and a lot of that was injuries across the entire Oline so it should get better with healthy bodies but I'd still welcome Joeckel or Fisher to possibly make the oline elite to run the type of offense Chip wants to run.

But on other hand we have lacked a playmaker on defense for so long and our defense was so atrocious that I'm really tempted by the prospect of Jordan or another Dline freak to really provide a punch.

bionic77

Has a defense ever stayed at the same level or improved following a SB win?

For some reason it always seems that the defense of SB champs falls off the cliff the season after they win the SB. If you want to repeat you have to somehow minimize that and then make up for the fall off in defense by improvement in offense.

I wonder if the Broncos are going to be the last legit team to repeat?

jakncoke

Banned

Wasnt there a rumor of a 5 year 50 something million contract on the table?

Draxal

He wants to be paid like he isn't hurt most of the time. I think he's a borderline #1 WR that just can't stay healthy. I want him back, but with good players available in draft at TE and slot, no reason to overpay

Yes, although supposedly the team isn't enamored with him. He's such a huge plus as a run blocker. Of course they shouldn't overspend for him either.

Has a defense ever stayed at the same level or improved following a SB win?

For some reason it always seems that the defense of SB champs falls off the cliff the season after they win the SB. If you want to repeat you have to somehow minimize that and then make up for the fall off in defense by improvement in offense.

I wonder if the Broncos are going to be the last legit team to repeat?

2007-8 Giants 17th to 5th, the 2008 giants were a legit team with one huge flaw (wrs). 2008-2009 was 5th ... to 30th.

squicken

Yep, absolutely. Same conundrum most teams have though - don't want to break the bank on him. Especially considering the position hasn't exactly needed a big money player for years for the Giants.

Just am not familiar with his game. Cook can't block for crap. Essentially a slot WR. If Bennett can block then he probably has more value. But it's a stacked TE class and FA group. Smart teams will wait out the market, which means STL will be giving Keller 30m next Tuesday

Draxal

Just am not familiar with his game. Cook can't block for crap. Essentially a slot WR. If Bennett can block then he probably has more value. But it's a stacked TE class and FA group. Smart teams will wait out the market, which means STL will be giving Keller 30m next Tuesday

Bennett's the best run blocker in the league, he has dropsies/route running issues.

True Andy could still double up and draft a tackle in addition to keeping Albert.

I know that our oline situation was abysmal and a lot of that was injuries across the entire Oline so it should get better with healthy bodies but I'd still welcome Joeckel or Fisher to possibly make the oline elite to run the type of offense Chip wants to run.

But on other hand we have lacked a playmaker on defense for so long and our defense was so atrocious that I'm really tempted by the prospect of Jordan or another Dline freak to really provide a punch.
There's so many directions the Eagles can go. You'll get a boost to the offensive line with Peters returning and some others getting healthy. You can hope for Watkins to develop into something for you. Tackle would be an obvious choice but...

It seems like you'll be cornerback desperate if Nnamdi does in fact get cut and DRC goes into FA. Millner could make sense at 4 if that's the case. Dion Jordan at 4 makes sense as well for the defensive line stud.

LB, S are also big needs but the talent isn't there for either to be chosen that high...

Why would it be a hard thing to do? With the rookie pay scale in place, you're not committing the monetary future of your franchise with the first overall pick. If someone wants to deal? Shouldn't be an issue. Though I suppose you're point may be that someone may not want to deal because the talent level isn't there but who knows that kind of interest Joeckel might pull from a tackle needy team like the Eagles?

That was kinda my point, yeah. There isn't the elite talent for which you would trade up to the first pick, or it would have to come at a low price. Nobody is gonna pay what Washington payed last year and more for a guy like Joeckel. At least, that's what I think.

You don't think Sharrif can play the 3 technique? He's vicisous, I thought it might work.

You really think he's that good? I know the 'Next Wes Welker' think is always there because he's a shifty white guy, but how do they really compare? Can he also line up on the outside?

Well, best run blocking tight end in the league, which isn't as impressive as it sounds with the proliferation of hybrid tight ends.

I mean he was a key reason the Giant's ran it down the Niners throat.

Best run blocking TE in the league? You forgot that Gronk excisted just because he was injured?

Tom Pelissero ‏@TomPelissero
#Vikings now have five receivers under contract for 2013 and two of them are Percy Harvin and Greg Childs.

VQCRz_zps15fcc7d2.gif

Well, best run blocking tight end in the league, which isn't as impressive as it sounds with the proliferation of hybrid tight ends.

I mean he was a key reason the Giant's ran it down the Niners throat. Did you already forget 26-3?

VD is a better blocker. Look at the numbers.

And you had no meaningful rush yards against us. All came in garbage time. But I suppose that game was all you can be proud of from this past season because your team sucked dick and couldn't even make the playoffs despite playing in the worst division in the league

Top Bottom