• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread 2013 - Here comes the wait

bionic77

Can you play guard or tackle in a pinch?
I am 6'2" and in shape I am a solid 190+ of all muscle. I did P90X, pretty sure that means I can start in the NFL brah.

But no matter now awesome I am, I can't play receiver, qb and lineman at the same time. Not even sure Tebow could pull off 3 positions at the same time.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
I'm three episodes into season 2, and it's just a good show. I try to tell friends to watch it, and they want to know what it's about. Halfway into the explanation, they say "no thanks."

You should just ask "do you like history and stuff?"

BSG was just as dramatic and people didn't have a problem watching that! The story is just as good in both.

Godslay

Banned
I'm three episodes into season 2, and it's just a good show. I try to tell friends to watch it, and they want to know what it's about. Halfway into the explanation, they say "no thanks."

That's what I thought at first. I figured if you assholes watched it, it can't be that bad. So I gave it a shot.

WedgeX

Banned

I used to be that way. Had even caught a random third season episode. Wasn't even part way through the first episode and I was hooked. Love me some good history...and apparently dat drama, too.

MechDX

Arian Foster is closing his Twitter account:

http://houston.cbslocal.com/2013/03/04/arian-foster-to-say-goodbye-to-twitter/

I casually follow twitter but Arian was amazing at times on it.

Foster gave no reason as to why he is shutting down his account but according to reports, Foster will be shutting down a social media outlet that is valued around $60,000. As of Monday, 6:19 p.m., Foster had 374,595 followers and he followed 315 Twitter accounts. As speculation swirls as to why Foster made the decision to shut down his account, there may be clues in his Twitter posts. Foster wrote:

When does the league start caring what we as players say publicly?

— Arian Foster (@ArianFoster) March 4, 2013

At what point does the 1st amendment interfere with the status quo of the politically correctness of our thoughts?

— Arian Foster (@ArianFoster) March 4, 2013

The recent posts that followed his “goodbye” on Twitter suggest to many that he is closing his account because of the NFL. Only time will tell if the Pro Bowler will share the reason for his decision not to “tweet” anymore.

The league made him close it?

WedgeX

Banned
Foster can come to Detroit if the Texans are not appreciating him. Wayne Fontes is gone, so he can go to the endzone now if he wants. The coaching staff won't even care what he does, so long as he doesn't wind up in jail or his head cannot fit through the entrance tunnel.

Quikies83

Corner opposite Flowers is a big need, and I'd rather the Chiefs draft a corner than try to fill that hole with Sean Smith.

The most hilarious scenario is still drafting a quarterback #1 overall.

rmNV9.gif

Fred Davis said he would love to play for Cleveland
And Connor Barwin is a Dbag who said he wouldn't want to come here.
Titans didn't tag Cook, I'd like to go after him

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
Have to question the wisdom of running towards a frequently armed steroids abuser

edit: Fox Sports 1, the rival to ESPN, will get announced tomorrow

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/05/s...ge-espn.html?smid=tw-nytsports&seid=auto&_r=0

Can he bring down ESPN like he did CNN?

God I hope so, and I think they can.

I think most people are sick of ESPN and their shitty programming. A network that can come in with some decent sports coverage and at the same time have some personalities for opinion coverage.

Petros and Money would be perfect for this new network. They already have a huge radio following and both work on TV already, so I'm positive they'll be on this new FOX network.

ESPN has gone to long uncontested, the people want more options.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
While I agree that some competition in the market place is much needed, let's not forget what fox did with 'news'. They're going to have a studio show hosted by Regis Philbin, ffs. Golden domers daily.

Talon

While I agree that some competition in the market place is much needed, let's not forget what fox did with 'news'. They're going to have a studio show hosted by Regis Philbin, ffs. Golden domers daily.
Last time they had a sports network, they shoved Tom Arnold and that clown Chris whatever down our throats with The Damn Sports Show Ever.

I would like competition, but I'd prefer it from Comcast/the Peacock network.

eznark

Banned
There was a good story the other day about what a failure NBC Sports has been. I fully blame that cocksucker Florio.

squicken

NBCS started on a worse tier than Fox Sports 1 will. It's the Speed channel, which is on basic cable in lots of places. NewsCorp has a history of going nuts with rights acquisitions. On the last TV deal, Murdoch offered the owners more money they settled for, but wanted full exclusivity of all NFL games

The NFL will eventually sell that Thursday package, and I imagine he will not be outbid. And I'm not sure how much lower the bar can go given ESPN's programming. That Tom Arnold thing is probably infinitely classier than First Take

Talon

I'd like to read that article if you have the link for it.
I believe it was this one.

There was also this one from SoE that's more of an opinion piece.

Also, I guess NBC is trying to make Joe Posnaski into their opinion guy (a la Simmons/Reilly on ESPN nowadays).
NBCS started on a worse tier than Fox Sports 1 will. It's the Speed channel, which is on basic cable in lots of places. NewsCorp has a history of going nuts with rights acquisitions. On the last TV deal, Murdoch offered the owners more money they settled for, but wanted full exclusivity of all NFL games

The NFL will eventually sell that Thursday package, and I imagine he will not be outbid. And I'm not sure how much lower the bar can go given ESPN's programming. That Tom Arnold thing is probably infinitely classier than First Take
TBDSE was pretty much First Take prior to First Take. With a dose of The Man Show.

squicken

Never actually watched it. No idea why Fox thought it could build an ESPN rival with regional networks. But I remember it having Salley and Goose and that was enough to not watch

fwiw I like Tom Arnold. Thought he was fantastic in True Lies and Nine Months. No idea why he didn't have a better career

BigAT

Wasn't NBCS formerly Versus, not Speed?

Edit: never mind.

squicken

You're right, misread the intention of that post.

I think Versus was once the Outdoor Network. Don't think they ever were as prominent on basic cable like the speed channel. NBCS kind of reminds me of CNNSI. Trying for a straight news/info show when there's just no need for it. If you like Florio, you just follow him on Twitter and read PFT

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
A couple hours after Joe Flacco signed his new six-year contract with the Baltimore Ravens that made him the highest paid player by average annual value in NFL history, he pulled into a restaurant to celebrate.

After signing a contract that gives him a $29 million bonus and $52 million guaranteed, Baltimore Ravens quarterback Joe Flacco celebrated like anyone would -- with a 10-piece McNuggets meal.

Armed with a $29 million signing bonus and the promise of a total of $52 million guaranteed over the life of the contract, Flacco rolled down his window at the McDonald's drive-thru in Aberdeen, Md., after ordering a 10-piece McNugget meal, with fries and an unsweetened iced tea for $6.99.

He tore SF up. Actually had a big punt return and long pass called back b/c of Rams.

Did Woods work out at the combine? Results aren't there http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/robert-woods?id=2540169

I found his combine numbers yesterday on my computer. Can't look them up now since I'm on my phone, but he did work out. Number weren't great though, pretty middle of the pack on all of them. Ran slower than I thought he would, with a 4.6 something, but still pretty good. Also did 16 reps on the bench press, which is respectable for a guy his build I guess.

It's just his 3 cone that wasn't great, the slowest of he WRs and he's not a real big guy.

Im tired of route runners.I want a burner.

I want a guy who will/can fight for the ball and make the tough catches, Woods has good hands (one site said the best hand actually) so I think he can do that.

Another potential WR target is the kid from Rutgers, apperently Bill had his eyes on Sanu last year, but the Bengals stole him. Bill basically is gonna give every Rutgers player recruited by Schiano an extra look, just like how he did with Meyers his players at Florida and will at Ohio in the future.

ChanHuk

Banned
I found his combine numbers yesterday on my computer. Can't look them up now since I'm on my phone, but he did work out. Number weren't great though, pretty middle of the pack on all of them. Ran slower than I thought he would, with a 4.6 something, but still pretty good. Also did 16 reps on the bench press, which is respectable for a guy his build I guess.

It's just his 3 cone that wasn't great, the slowest of he WRs and he's not a real big guy.

I want a guy who will/can fight for the ball and make the tough catches, Woods has good hands (one site said the best hand actually) so I think he can do that.

Another potential WR target is the kid from Rutgers, apperently Bill had his eyes on Sanu last year, but the Bengals stole him. Bill basically is gonna give every Rutgers player recruited by Schiano an extra look, just like how he did with Meyers his players at Florida and will at Ohio in the future.

Is that you Al Davis?

ChanHuk

Banned
I have my reasons.

Back from the grave! Time to re-sign Jamarcus and trade our first to the Pats for a box of oatmeal!

Just win, baby!

I hate you fake Germans. Woods would be a good match for the Pats though, since Brady is the king of dink and donk of the modern era. He'd basically be Lloyd's replacement.

Top Bottom