• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread 2013 - Here comes the wait

Wes

venison crêpe
lh34LQe.gif

Flacco gonna get paid.

Yeah I think they will make him the highest paid player. I keep hearing people say they should just franchise him, but I thought that you cant use the tag on a guy 2 years in a row. If Flacco has another good year on the tag next year he could just walk and they would be fucked.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Yeah I think they will make him the highest paid player. I keep hearing people say they should just franchise him, but I thought that you cant use the tag on a guy 2 years in a row. If Flacco has another good year on the tag next year he could just walk and they would be fucked.

Tag actually might not be a bad idea. Ideally you don't want to draw up a contract for a player at the peak of their career. I don't think Flacco will have as great of a season as he did this year what with winning the Super Bowl and SB MVP. I also don't think the quarterback market won't be so awful next offseason so that should decrease Flaccos leverage.

bionic77

Tag actually might not be a bad idea. Ideally you don't want to draw up a contract for a player at the peak of their career. I don't think Flacco will have as great of a season as he did this year what with winning the Super Bowl and SB MVP. I also don't think the quarterback market won't be so awful next offseason so that should decrease Flaccos leverage.
The fanbase would kill their owners if they did not pay Flacco after this season. The Ravens have nowhere to go but down and if they don't pay Flacco the blame will fall on the ownership. If you pay Flacco then the blame will fall on him for not living up to his contract. Just make it so that he gets most of the money in bonuses and in the first 3 years so if it doesn't work out they can Dilfer him.

I was thinking about that last play for the Niners in the morning and man did they fuck up on that play. The Ravens came at them with an all out blitz and if the Niners reacted corrected it should have been a really easy TD. No one on the Niners seemed to see what was obvious to about 50 million fans and Kaep was forced to throw up a prayer (and as prayers go it was decent, the throw was horrible but at least he had the sense to get it up). TMQ hates all out blitzes and an all out blitz won the SB. Granted they usually work a lot better against green qb's. Experienced qb's eat that shit up. I think Smith would have scored a TD on that play, but would not have been able to bring the Niners back.

SonnyBoy

Does anyone have a listing of the records broken and/or achievements for Luck and Wilson? I have a list for RGIII and would like to have a better understanding of what these guys accomplished.

If anyone cares, I can post the list that I have.

SonnyBoy

He is the first rookie in NFL history to throw for more than 300 yards, two touchdowns and no picks in his first start, and the first rookie quarterback in NFL history to finish the first half of his first game with a perfect passer rating.

He is the first rookie in NFL history to throw 4 touchdowns in back to back games in the NFL season, the second player in NFL history to throw four touchdowns in back to back games, and the first player to do so without the benefit of a bye week in between.

He is the first player in NFL history to throw for over 3200 yards, rush for 800 yards, and have a completion percentage over 60%.

He broke the record for rookie passer rating set by Ben Roethlisberger in 2004 (102.4), and finished third in passer rating behind Peyton Manning and Aaron Rodgers.

He is just the 54th man in NFL history to record a “Perfect Game”, beating the Eagles with a passer rating of 158.3 and having just one incomplete pass.

He’s the first rookie to have two touchdowns of 65+ yards in his first two starts since Greg Cook in 1969.

He tied with Ben Roethlisberger for the 2nd most games with a passer rating over 100. (Russell Wilson ultimately broke is in first place.)

Robert Griffin III and Russell Wilson are the only rookie quarterbacks in NFL history to finish the regular season with a passer rating over 100.

He has the lowest percentage of passes intercepted (1.3), breaking Charlie Batch’s record (1.98.)

He had the fourth best completion percentage in the league.
He set the rookie record for rushing yards in a season by a quarterback. (815)

He led the league in yards per pass attempt. (8.1)

He led the league in yards per carry. (6.9)

His 76 yard touchdown versus the Minnesota Vikings was the second longest run by a quarterback in NFL history and the first 70+ yarder since Kordell Stewart in 1996.

He is the first quarterback in NFL history to have four 60+ yard touchdowns and a 60+ yard rushing touchdown.

Robert Griffin III and Dan Marino (1983) are the only rookie quarterbacks in NFL history to be selected to the Pro Bowl outright. (I.E, without someone else having to drop out first.)

He’s the only quarterback in NFL history with over 750 rush yards to finish with a passer rating over 100.

He’s the only quarterback in NFL history with over 75 rush yards to finish with a 4:1 touchdown to INT ratio.

Set the Redskins franchise rookie record for completions,

He set the record for rookie completion percentage in one game (93%).

He led the Washington Redskins to their first division title since 1999, their first 10 win season since 2005, and just their third playoff appearance in the last 20 years.

He influenced other playoff teams like the San Francisco 49ers and Seattle Seahawks to adopt elements of the read-option and the pistol formation, both of which were supposed to be impossible to make work in the NFL.

He was a two time NFL Offensive Rookie of the Month, two time NFC Offensive Player of the Week, 7 time Pepsi Rookie of the Week, a Pro Bowl selection, and the Sporting News and PFW/PFWA Rookie of the Year.
Courtesy of httr24-7.com

Just some things I'd like to add...

The Redskins hadn't won three games in a row since 2008.
The Redskins hadn't won three NFC East games in a row since 2005.
They were just 3-12 on Monday Night Football since 2000.
The Skins had lost four-straight Monday night games against divisional opponents.
And... They hadn't won a Thanksgiving game against Dallas at home..., ever... I think.

bionic77

Qb records don't mean anything anymore guys.

All of these records are going to be broken many times. The only one that is going to stand for a little while is Farve's streak of playing games.

edit: Peyton Manning is 77-1 in his career when the opponent scores less than 17 points. But that's only happened in 4 of his 20 post-season games. Brady has had 7 such post-season game out of 24. Eli 3 times in 11 games. Flacco ... 7 times in 13 games

These are things we already know, or at least I do. I've said it forever that the reason Flacco has as many Playoff wins as he does, or as many regular season wins as he does is everyone except him. At least that was the case the first four years of his career (playoffs only, in this case). The first three years, we won despite him in the playoffs, and last year, he was pretty ok. People like to say he outplayed Tom Brady last year in the game, but fact is, you hold the #1 offense to 2 TDs, you win the game. Except we didn't. If your point is that Joe Flacco has had an inflated playoff record, and therefore an inflated value, due to the rest of our team, you'd be right....until this year's playoffs.

Come on Squicken, this is me, BaltimoreLarry, I hate Joe Flacco, remember? I think he had a very average year all year long. I've shit all over him even after his best games, but give credit where credit is due. Joe Flacco was the best QB in the playoffs this year, and put up one of the best playoff lines as a QB ever. He's the anti-Matt Ryan, and this year he was elite when it mattered.

If you're making the case that Joe Flacco is not an elite QB and doesn't deserve to payed like one, you're right. But he was elite during these playoffs, he did just bring us a ring, and he will get payed. I'm no fool, this will tank our franchise for five years, unless Ozzie can pull some magic (which he can), or if Joe might actually turn into 75% of what he was in the playoffs, which would be a very good QB.

Just answer me this, why does Joe Flacco make you so mad? I know why he makes me mad, but it definitely seems like you take real issue with him.

bionic77

Really excite to see how iRGIII follows up his rookie year. I bet he will be awesome in the booth.
Fraudgers is not going to be in the league much longer so I am pretty excited at seeing the two of them pair up. Separate they are two of the biggest cornballers the league has ever seen. But combine them together and it will be like getting Chris Berman and Dan Dierdorf in their prime AT THE SAME TIME. I hope CBS pays these guys what they are worth.

So Ryan and Flacco came into the league the same year and Ryan wound up signing for 6 years while Flacco only signed for 5. Ryan gets $10m in 2013. Ryan must have the worst agent in all of sports. That extra year is going to cost him like $10m this off season.

bionic77

God I hope you're right.
I usually am.

Maybe two more seasons with the Packers. After that the fans will revolt and they will trade him to Oakland or Cincinnati where he will quit on his teams and be on the fast track to being in a booth with RGIII.

xnipx

These are things we already know, or at least I do. I've said it forever that the reason Flacco has as many Playoff wins as he does, or as many regular season wins as he does is everyone except him. At least that was the case the first four years of his career (playoffs only, in this case). The first three years, we won despite him in the playoffs, and last year, he was pretty ok. People like to say he outplayed Tom Brady last year in the game, but fact is, you hold the #1 offense to 2 TDs, you win the game. Except we didn't. If your point is that Joe Flacco has had an inflated playoff record, and therefore an inflated value, due to the rest of our team, you'd be right....until this year's playoffs.

Come on Squicken, this is me, BaltimoreLarry, I hate Joe Flacco, remember? I think he had a very average year all year long. I've shit all over him even after his best games, but give credit where credit is due. Joe Flacco was the best QB in the playoffs this year, and put up one of the best playoff lines as a QB ever. He's the anti-Matt Ryan, and this year he was elite when it mattered.

If you're making the case that Joe Flacco is not an elite QB and doesn't deserve to payed like one, you're right. But he was elite during these playoffs, he did just bring us a ring, and he will get payed. I'm no fool, this will tank our franchise for five years, unless Ozzie can pull some magic (which he can), or if Joe might actually turn into 75% of what he was in the playoffs, which would be a very good QB.

Just answer me this, why does Joe Flacco make you so mad? I know why he makes me mad, but it definitely seems like you take real issue with him.

So are you denying that flacco put us in position to win twice last year at the end of the game? He lead us down the field with ease both times. Sure he shit the bed against the texans but the New England game last year was anything but his fault b

Does anyone have a listing of the records broken and/or achievements for Luck and Wilson? I have a list for RGIII and would like to have a better understanding of what these guys accomplished.

If anyone cares, I can post the list that I have.

Don't have a full list for Luck, but from Wiki:

Most passing yards in a single game by a rookie quarterback: 433 (vs Miami Dolphins) (11/4/12)
Most passing yards by a rookie in a single season: 4,374]
Most 300+ yards passing games by a rookie QB (6)
Most wins by a #1 pick QB in his rookie season (11)
Most game-winning drives by a rookie quarterback (7)
Most fourth quarter comebacks by a rookie quarterback (7)

I agree with bionic, though--a lot of records are meaningless.

So Ryan and Flacco came into the league the same year and Ryan wound up signing for 6 years while Flacco only signed for 5. Ryan gets $10m in 2013. Ryan must have the worst agent in all of sports. That extra year is going to cost him like $10m this off season.

I think Ryan gets a new contract before this season anyway.

Talon

I will be really interested to see how the Falcons handle things. The Ravens basically made Flacco go out and earn his contract, and he definitely did.
We actually need to move some money around this year, even with Tony and Turner coming off the books. And, yes, it's a foregone conclusion that Turner is getting cut.

There's the issue of Grimes for one. If he's 100%, he's going to get offered a dumb contract by some team out there.

LT will be interesting because Baker played well this season, although he performed badly in the second half of the NFCCG. Clady and Long are both going to be FAs though.

We actually need to move some money around this year, even with Tony and Turner coming off the books.

There's the issue of Grimes for one. If he's 100%, he's going to get offered a dumb contract by some team out there.

LT will be interesting because Baker played well this season, although he performed badly in the second half of the NFCCG. Clady and Long are both going to be FAs though.

I think we keep Baker. McClure is gone so either Konz or Hawley will take his spot at center and the other will be at RG.

Turner is as good as gone.

Defensive line needs the most work, IMO. Babs always plays above his head and Abraham (when healthy) still has something left in the tank. Just need a good to great DE opposite of Abe and a big body to go next to Babs.

Bowser

Wish the Panthers had the cash to sign Grimes, would hurt a division rival plus would be an instant upgrade to our secondary.

Top Bottom