• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread 2013 - Here comes the wait

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
Best soccer news, ever. Of course, that doesn't take much.

The radical idea was hatched in October 2011, shortly after FIFA awarded the U.S. broadcast rights to Fox Sports for the 2018 and 2022 World Cups. Fox Sports president Eric Shanks wanted to do something bold with his soccer coverage. Most importantly, he wanted to brand it with something unique to Fox. So he called up broadcaster Gus Johnson, who had joined Fox only five months earlier, and asked him a question: Would you be willing to work for the next six years to become the American voice of soccer?

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Best soccer news, ever. Of course, that doesn't take much.

You have to be fucking kidding me. This is a travesty.

The one thing ESPN did right was soccer coverage. They got the best of the best in the likes of Ian Darke and Martin Tyler. Darke in particular was already an American soccer legend and he does such an amazing job.

Gus Johnson is great for college sports. Hes okay for the NFL. He is a lousy soccer commentator. FOX really fucked up everything ESPN did right for the sport.

Bowser

You have to be fucking kidding me. This is a travesty.

The one thing ESPN did right was soccer coverage. They got the best of the best in the likes of Ian Darke and Martin Tyler. Darke in particular was already an American soccer legend and he does such an amazing job.

Gus Johnson is great for college sports. Hes okay for the NFL. He is a lousy soccer commentator. FOX really fucked up everything ESPN did right for the sport.

At least they're giving him 5 years of prep. I think it's a little much to throw him into announcing huge Premier and Champions League matches so soon, but eh, he'll sink or swim.

For reference:

untitled-15j0ki2.gif

GOAT

see5harp

I love how people are looking for anything they can to not blame Kaepernick for his awful performance through most of that game.

He played a very poor game for much of the first half, but I blame the majority of that on the defense. Kaep was getting down the field and James had a silly turnover. No, most of the blame is on Culliver and the secondary. I can't forget about the complete disappearance of Aldon Smith in the last half of the season. Justin Smith wasn't really effective either and I'm not dick riding enough to not call out his non sack having ass. Hell we probably had a better chance starting Ricky Jean. They couldn't get anything without a blitz for Atlanta or Baltimore. Culliver was actually covering decent for the most part but when you let Joe Flacco out of the pocket guys are going to make plays and get open.

Striker

It's just so much easier to find slot guys, and you'd rather have a big TE working the middle, if you can find one. Slot WRs just struggle in the RZ b/c passes have to be thrown high. Need solid frame games that can win contested passes in the air
Your typical slot WR, sure, but he's has gotten lots of YAC and has 19 TD's over two years. He's not Nicks in the redzone, but he has been efficient enough. Still, I'm not going to insist he's the top WR on the Giants like some may think. The offense stalled because of Nicks' big play ability was taken away. With him in there and with Cruz on the other side the offense is one of the best in the league. With Cruz, I think he's leveraging himself up a bit high but he should be wary of what situation he'd be stepping out of if he did walk away. It won't be this year anyways unless some team deals out a first (Colts were one I had thought of previously).

ESPN did the world cup well I thought. I cringe what Fox is gonna do to it. I guess the stuff they show now is fine that I have watched, but I think they will try to "step it up" for world cup. Their college bowl stuff was terrible to me.

Talon

I'm going to guess I hate Randy Moss more than any one this board considering 1. He was a Viking and 2. I have proven my capacity for abject hatred far surpasses anyone posting here and even I don't blame him for that throw.

I'm siding with Moss over a cool guy who wears a Brewers hat. Case closed.
I don't know, Ez. Deac is a pretty strong hater. You'd have competition at the NFL-GAF Haters Ball.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
This has already happened once. CBS tried Gus Johnson on another sport he was completely clueless about in MMA. Was a fucking disaster.

He was just keeping it real with his "Sometimes these things happen in mma" talk. Not much separating it from pro wrestling.

Watching live feed of the parade. 80k+ in the stadium for the rally afterwards, Ray was last out with the trophy. He did the dance one last time, then Ed walked back and did the dance too. It was pretty awesome.

"I don't know how many championships we can keep bringing home without losing that chip on our shoulder, but I hope it never happens"- Steve Bisciotti

Live Feed of the Magic

jakncoke

Banned
So instead of answering my question you decided to make fun of who I work for again. Weird considering what happened last time. You must be a masochist.

And I told you last you can't say anything to hurt me. You'll just make yourself look like a middle school bitch again like last time :)

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
If people want Gus Johnson, wouldn't it be easy to find some guy to yell into the mic the whole game?

Best commentators are still the radio guys! Bit of a different art but they're my favorite.

Nakazato

Watching live feed of the parade. 80k+ in the stadium for the rally afterwards, Ray was last out with the trophy. He did the dance one last time, then Ed walked back and did the dance too. It was pretty awesome.

"I don't know how many championships we can keep bringing home without losing that chip on our shoulder, but I hope it never happens"- Steve Bisciotti

Live Feed of the Magic
Damn i wanna be there :'(

Dragon

Banned
And I told you last you can't say anything to hurt me. You'll just make yourself look like a middle school bitch again like last time :)

Doubtful. I'm proud to work for a great company. Not many people can say the same.

All I remember was you getting really pissy last time.

Your memory is pretty foggy.

Last time you made yourself look like a fool.

Typing it doesn't make it so.

All I see is fuel for Alex Smith defense-foce.

It's a terrible angle that doesn't show how far away Reed is from Moss. That throw was horrendous, almost as bad as the Niners play calling.

Damn i wanna be there :'(

They'll replay it. The crowd broke down the barriers during the parade and walked behind Ray Lewis as they funnelled into the stadium. Amazing.

I'm crying here, good thing my office has a door and my office mate is also a Ravens fan (I had him shipped from Baltimore).

Top Bottom