• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread 2013 - Here comes the wait

Bowser

Dolphins are going to let Jake Long walk even though they have like the most free cap?

Dude has fallen off hard after a shit ton of injuries and wants "at least" $10m per. Just cause they have cap space doesn't mean they have to spend it foolishly.

Bowser

Isn't he already dropping hints/talking about it?

Ben Volin of the Palm Beach Post reports that Jennings appeared on the Dolphins’ team-owned Internet show on Friday and talked about how much he’d love to play for Philbin again.

“Joe, how you doing. Remember me?” Jennings said. “He’s one of my favorite coaches. Obviously he jokes a lot, little subtle things here and there, but he’s a great coach to have. He was a great coach to play for. He’s one of those guys that you can have a relationship outside of football. As a player you admire a coach when he actually opens himself up like that.”

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...-for-change-would-love-a-joe-philbin-reunion/

jakncoke

Banned
Also dont forget they gotta reach the cap floor of 85% this year. I think someone said you have to get to a point where you have 13 million or less unused cap and Dolphins are at 46 million atm

eznark

Banned
Mike Wallace would be awful for Miami. Greg Jennings would be transformative. I honestly don't think Miami could overpay for him.

Mike Wallace would be awful for Miami. Greg Jennings would be transformative. I honestly don't think Miami could overpay for him.
If the money is extremely high or if Jennings has serious injury problems in Miami then obviously it could look like a stupid decision but it seems like a chance you've got to take. He would be a good fit in that offense and they are desperately in need of some quality WR's.

eznark

Banned
If the money is extremely high or if Jennings has serious injury problems in Miami then obviously it could look like a stupid decision but it seems like a chance you've got to take. He would be a good fit in that offense and they are desperately in need of some quality WR's.

Well sure in hindsight any move could be retarded.

It's looking progressively more and more like the Giants will give Cruz a first round tender. Curious if Miami is desperate enough to give up a first rounder and pay him the 10 million a year he wants...

(Mara recently came out and said Cruz wanted too much money and there's some hub bub that the Giants are now prioritizing Nicks to get his contract before the season starts)

eznark

Banned
With Jennings and Bowe out there as UFA's I'm not sure why anyone would give up a pick for Cruz. There aren't that many teams desperate for wide outs, just ask Mike Wallace.

Well sure in hindsight any move could be retarded.
Yeah, basically.

It's looking progressively more and more like the Giants will give Cruz a first round tender. Curious if Miami is desperate enough to give up a first rounder and pay him the 10 million a year he wants...
I highly doubt it, Ross and Ireland have worked hard to gather up some draft picks so it'd be kind of weird to see them going the other direction. Plus you've got stuff like this:

“I want to build a winning team. … I’m willing to spend whatever it takes to build it. If the right players are there, I don’t care what it costs,” Ross said. “We’ll go after them.”

But the owner later said that the club wants to build through the draft, and that “free agency certainly isn’t the answer.”

“We’ve all seen that,” Ross added. “You can talk about the failures of free agency more than the successes.”

Ross might as well have been singing from Philbin’s hymnal.

The Dolphins’ coach, who went 7-9 in his first season, recently embraced an all-of-the-above strategy to player acquisition, but has consistently said his preference has been to draft and develop stars, instead of buy them from other teams.

Ross made it a point to praise Philbin’s organization and adherence to the plan the coach put in place when he was hired last January.
The Packer approach.

jergrah

Also dont forget they gotta reach the cap floor of 85% this year. I think someone said you have to get to a point where you have 13 million or less unused cap and Dolphins are at 46 million atm

Some of that 46 million will go to resigning their own guys though. They have quite a few starters hitting the open market:
Hartline
Sean Smith
Jake Long
Randy Starks
Reggie Bush

Of those, I think theyll bring back 2. Either Hartline and Starks or Hartline and Smith. I also think that Rashad Jones will get an extension/pay raise done in the next 2 months.

After that, the expectation is they will pay some WR (Jennings/Bowe/Wallace) market money to bring them in.

If Smith walks, I think they make a hard push at CB Cox or Cromartie
If Starks walks I think they make a hard push at DT Knighton.

They also apparently have interest in the starting free agent DE from Cincy, Im forgetting his name though, Johnson maybe? Ive also read of interest in Paul Kruger, but to me that doesnt make sense in the 4-3.

Regardless, Im excited to see what they do this offseason with all the cap space and picks. I hope Ireland can make it work and not fuck it up.

With Jennings and Bowe out there as UFA's I'm not sure why anyone would give up a pick for Cruz. There aren't that many teams desperate for wide outs, just ask Mike Wallace.
Precisely why I think the Giants will tender him. He recently put holding out back on the table but it's kind of amusing that things could go the Mike Wallace route with him. He has little leverage in the negotiations being that he's an RFA. Im sure the Giants want to lock him down but they aren't paying him 10 million a year (nor should they).

squicken

(Mara recently came out and said Cruz wanted too much money and there's some hub bub that the Giants are now prioritizing Nicks to get his contract before the season starts)

It's just so much easier to find slot guys, and you'd rather have a big TE working the middle, if you can find one. Slot WRs just struggle in the RZ b/c passes have to be thrown high. Need solid frame games that can win contested passes in the air

Did people watch the same game that I watched? How was the Reed interception Randy Moss's fault?

Did I say it was his fault? I said Roido was partly right, Moss is a slacker. Odds are no matter how high Moss jumped, he wasn't catching that ball. But the other reality is that Moss only gives extra effort when he feels like it.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
Did people watch the same game that I watched? How was the Reed interception Randy Moss's fault?

It isnt but Moss didnt even try to go get the ball, just watched it sail over his head.

For reference:

untitled-15j0ki2.gif

SonnyBoy

It isnt but Moss didnt even try to go get the ball, just watched it sail over his head.

Is there a possibility that he wasn't aware if the ball was intended for another player and didn't want to potentially disrupt a pass that at-best he could only deflect... Thus potentially causing the same reaction.

Bowser

He couldn't have caught it but he is very aware of the CB and wasn't going to make an effort

I think a lot of you guys are being unfairly harsh on Moss. Looks to me like he pulled up because the ball was thrown so far over his head that he just assumed there was another WR running a post or something and that the ball wasn't intended for him.

squicken

I think a lot of you guys are being unfairly harsh on Moss. Looks to me like he pulled up because the ball was thrown so far over his head that he just assumed there was another WR running a post or something and that the ball wasn't intended for him.

Watch his head. He looks at the CB instead of tracking the ball as it goes over his head

eznark

Banned
I love how people are looking for anything they can to not blame Kaepernick for his awful performance through most of that game.

Oh come on, he knows where the other WRs are on the field, or where they're supposed to be anyway. And if he doesn't, then he slacks in his studies as well as on the field.

Top Bottom