• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread 2013 - Here comes the wait

Why is everyone so ready to give up on Ponder? Last year was only his second year and the only really WR threat they had sat out a bunch of the year. I still think with better coaching and better weapons Ponder could develop into something.

They got a 1st and 7th for a guy who has been a malcontent under two coaching staffs and has made it abundantly clear he has no interest in playing for them. They did exactly what they had to.

1st and 7th in an offensively WEAK ASS draft class, imo. It's gonna be hard times for Minny if AP goes down.

Godslay

Banned
Why is everyone so ready to give up on Ponder? Last year was only his second year and the only really WR threat they had sat out a bunch of the year. I still think with better coaching and better weapons Ponder could develop into something.

I think you say this about every struggling QB.

1st and 7th in an offensively WEAK ASS draft class, imo. It's gonna be hard times for Minny if AP goes down.

Better than nothing obviously.

Slo

obama.gif

smokeymicpot

Beat EviLore at pool.

Those last few games he did good without Harvin. We been drafting good recently so hopefully pick up a decent WR. Harvin isn't worth the headache anyway.

Godslay

Banned
Not Foles or Mcnabb.

I watched every Vikings game last year (due to being in the coverage area), Ponder could be decent at times, but he also struggled quite a bit. He could turn out to be a good QB, but it wouldn't surprise me if he isn't. At this point it could go either way, but I'm leaning towards the idea that it won't.

squicken

fucking chickens. harvin is 24. they just drafted the best playmaker in the draft with a late first. they have to pay him, but since wilson is a 3rd, it doesn't really matter

rams need to tank. seriously. no way they can do anything unless SF collapses. GO COLTS

I suppose anything is possible. But he plays on a team where the defenses are playing the run about 95% of the time and his QB numbers are still pretty crappy. Yeah, he doesn't have much WR talent. But good QBs find a way to make other guys better.

Have fun with Cheatin' Pete, Percy.
truth be told the idea of Wilson to Harvin is pretty damn scary...

Good. I'm glad the Vikes didn't channel their inner Red McCombs and sign Harvin to some ridiculous contract. They have too many other needs they have to fill rather than throw their entire cap into one malcontent.
I loved watching the guy play, he's exciting as hell, but he supposedly wants to be paid along the lines of Larry Fitz and Megatron? Shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii-et. The guy has played four season and has one where he played all 16 games.

A guy like Adrian Peterson is irreplaceable on this team at this point.
Percy Harvin is replaceable.

LevelNth

Banned
So far taking giants' players hasn't worked out so well for us. I hope Manningham comes back strong.
Manningham is so cut. His contract is too big, his cap hit if released is tiny, he has knee problems AND blew his ACL late. He's out. In fact, I expect every big to medium Niner FA to be gone: Sopoaga, Goldson, Walker, RJF, and Akers and Alex are already gone. Turnover time in SF.

Also, that's a heck of a price to be paid for Harvin IMO, especially if he's re-upping at 9m+ a year. Character concerns are one thing, but his style of play coupled with his injury history is worrisome.

Manningham is so cut. His contract is too big, his cap hit if released is tiny, he has knee problems AND blew his ACL late. He's out. In fact, I expect every big to medium Niner FA to be gone: Sopoaga, Goldson, Walker, RJF, and Akers and Alex are already gone. Turnover time in SF.

Also, that's a heck of a price to be paid for Harvin IMO, especially if he's re-upping at 9m+ a year. Character concerns are one thing, but his style of play coupled with his injury history is worrisome.

Bah. I guess your right. As much as I got angry at him Walker was often very useful. Losing Sop and RJF is gonna suck.

BigAT

Seems like a lot to give up for Harvin, both in picks and seemingly money if he is indeed getting a big contract extension. I just wouldn't feel comfortable investing that much in a guy that is so fickle and weak-willed.

Deal seems even worse when you consider you could likely get Victor Cruz for only the first round pick. I would take Cruz over Harvin straight up, but when you consider they would give up less for Cruz, it seems like an absurd comparison.

Colasante

That's a brilliant move by the Seahawks. John Schneider is one of the best GMs in the business. As for the Vikings, I get why they felt like it needed to be done, but I don't think that's a deal that makes their team better, even if they end up drafting Tavon Austin with the 1st rounder.

squicken

So Mara says they are tendering Cruz at 1st level (duh), but Rappaport says they haven't negotiated for a long term deal. At all. Is Cruz a problem?

b/c Vikes have their own pick at 23, which is much easier to part with than Rams at 16. And they have the cap room, and ned

Seems like a lot to give up for Harvin, both in picks and seemingly money if he is indeed getting a big contract extension. I just wouldn't feel comfortable investing that much in a guy that is so fickle and weak-willed.

Deal seems even worse when you consider you could likely get Victor Cruz for only the first round pick. I would take Cruz over Harvin straight up, but when you consider they would give up less for Cruz, it seems like an absurd comparison.

Slick Rick Speilman for ya.

LevelNth

Banned
Bah. I guess your right. As much as I got angry at him Walker was often very useful. Losing Sop and RJF is gonna suck.
They are both gone for sure now, we just gave Ian Williams 2 years at 3.2m. With how little we use a NT now that is definitely active roster, if not starter, money for a 40-60% of snaps DL.

eznark

Banned

Harvin is a way better fit for that offense. Pete is going to go full Urban Meyer spread option next year and it's going to be bonkers. Remember those option plays where Tebow could either pitch to the running back outside, keep it or shovel it to Harvin underneath? Nightmare fuel with Harvin+Wilson+Lynch

So Mara says they are tendering Cruz at 1st level (duh), but Rappaport says they haven't negotiated for a long term deal. At all. Is Cruz a problem?

b/c Vikes have their own pick at 23, which is much easier to part with than Rams at 16. And they have the cap room, and ned
Vikes also get a midround 2014 pick out of the deal by the way along with the 1st and 7th this year.

Cruz is not a problem. The 10mill/yr Cruz wants is the problem. Mara has already gone on record saying he wants too much.

effzee

Rams and Vikings are the only teams with two picks in the first round right? Hmm Eagles trading down with one of them would be possible if the top ten in this draft wasn't so so

Steelers Update:

Adam Schefter @AdamSchefter

Steelers reached agreement on a three-year contract with G Ramon Foster.

As mentioned:

Victor Cruz tendered at the 1st round level
Stevie Brown tendered at the 2nd round level
Andrew Brown tendered at the 2nd round level.

Mara on Cruz:

Ralph Vacchiano @RVacchianoNYDN

Mara says Giants have made Cruz "a very substantial offer" that "would make him a very wealthy young man." His agent wants to test market.

Patricia Traina @Patricia_Traina

John Mara is hopeful that Cruz will sign a long-term deal but adds he wouldn't be surprised if another team signed him to an offer sheet.

Tom Rock said:
Mara: "if someone is willing to pay more than we are, then we'll have to say goodbye."

Vikings will take him.

How does a first rounder sound?
Would prefer it to be higher than 23 but we'll see who's coming a calling for Victor.;)[/QUOTE]

FINALLY got my network to play nice again. Wireless worked, local connection didn't. I ended up having to format my router and completely re enter the settings. Thought it would take days to get everything right, took less than 10 minutes.

squicken

Vikes also get a midround 2014 pick out of the deal by the way along with the 1st and 7th this year.

Cruz is not a problem. The 10mill/yr Cruz wants is the problem. Mara has already gone on record saying he wants too much.

The thing is, you probably would be happy to get 16 for him? 23? A little less so. That's about where this draft supposedly falls off a touch. Cruz and picks for Harivin (basically) isn't a bad deal for the Vikings

squicken

Yep, 16 would be great for him. 23, less so.

Well when you put it like that haha. I just meant you are happy at 16. Not happy at 23

But if they are in Wallace sweepstakes then they may not need to pay Cruz and give up a pick. I think Cruz is better, but he is a slot guy

1. Chiefs -
2. Jaguars - Tamanon
3. Raiders - ChanHuk, Mackenzie 92
4. Eagles - Yankeehater
5. Lions - WedgeX, Goldlion054
6. Browns - BlackGhost, Wes, theBatman
7. Cardinals - Squall ASF
8. Bills - LJ11
9. Jets -
10. Titans -
11. Chargers - Nightz
12. Dolphins -
13. Buccaneers -
14. Panthers - Bowser
15. Saints -
16. Rams - squicken
17. Steelers - DeaconKnowledge, chuckddd, Angmarsking701, 789shadow
18. Cowboys - cashman
19. Giants - Futurevoid, BigAT, Striker
20. Bears - cuevas, phd., Vio-lence
21. Bengals -
22. Rams (from Redskins) -
23. Vikings -
24. Colts -
25. Minnesota - from Seattle -
26. Packers - eznark, TheLegendary
27. Texans -
28. Broncos - Godslay
29. Patriots - Dutch Patriot
30. Falcons - Talon
31. 49ers -
32. Ravens - BaltimoreLarry, Nakazato

Missing reps for the bolded teams. Please. Let's get fans to represent before we move to alternates.

BigAT

In the locker room or on the field, not at all. But as FutureVoid said, he is likely asking for too much money. The Giants and his agent have been negotiating with his agent for quite a while now, but it seems like talks have reached a stand still lately. The Giants also have Hakeem Nicks coming up as a free agent after this year and he looks to be the Giants' priority if they can only re-sign one of the two. They just can't toss $10M/year deals at both them. Basically it's just the realities of the salary cap.

1. Chiefs -
2. Jaguars - Tamanon
3. Raiders - ChanHuk, Mackenzie 92
4. Eagles - Yankeehater
5. Lions - WedgeX, Goldlion054
6. Browns - BlackGhost, Wes, theBatman
7. Cardinals - Squall ASF
8. Bills - LJ11
9. Jets -
10. Titans -
11. Chargers - Nightz
12. Dolphins -