• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread 2013 - Here comes the wait

eznark

Banned
q7ev.gif

I don't get it

Colasante

I don't see the Vikings making a play for Cruz, but it's entirely possible. I think it's more likely Greg Jennings goes there and doesn't get anywhere near the crazy amount he was saying he wanted. On another note, it'd be absolutely hilarious to see Jennings go from Favre and Rodgers throwing him the ball, to Christian Ponder.

Well when you put it like that haha. I just meant you are happy at 16. Not happy at 23

But if they are in Wallace sweepstakes then they may not need to pay Cruz and give up a pick. I think Cruz is better, but he is a slot guy
I've long since resigned myself to either Cruz or Nicks moving on. It's a pipe dream to think the Giants can keep them both. I simply want to get as much value out of Cruz as possible. If the RFA market holds as usual, then he'll be a Giant in 2013 and likely move on in 2014 as Nicks is due for a contract then as well (along with JPP and Linval)

If we can get some value for him now and a team wants to offer him his 10 million and us a first? It's value that we won't get after next season. I just want the Giants to optimize that value as much as possible.

I hate to see him go. Cruz has conducted himself about as well as you'd want to a player to but there is a cap and a value the Giants have on him and they, much like the Steelers (and Mike Wallace) don't budge on that value.

cajunator

Banned

Its like it never happened!

1. Chiefs -
2. Jaguars - Tamanon
3. Raiders - ChanHuk, Mackenzie 92
4. Eagles - Yankeehater
5. Lions - WedgeX, Goldlion054
6. Browns - BlackGhost, Wes, theBatman
7. Cardinals - Squall ASF
8. Bills - LJ11
9. Jets -
10. Titans -
11. Chargers - Nightz
12. Dolphins -
13. Buccaneers -
14. Panthers - Bowser
15. Saints -
16. Rams - squicken
17. Steelers - DeaconKnowledge, chuckddd, Angmarsking701, 789shadow
18. Cowboys - cashman
19. Giants - Futurevoid, BigAT, Striker
20. Bears - cuevas, phd., Vio-lence
21. Bengals -
22. Rams (from Redskins) -
23. Vikings -
24. Colts -
25. Minnesota - from Seattle -
26. Packers - eznark, TheLegendary
27. Texans -
28. Broncos - Godslay
29. Patriots - Dutch Patriot
30. Falcons - Talon
31. 49ers -
32. Ravens - BaltimoreLarry, Nakazato

Missing reps for the bolded teams. Please. Let's get fans to represent before we move to alternates.

What is this for?

Nooo Santana Moss...

@JasonLaCanfora In addition to releasing CB DeAngelo Hall, as expected, Skins also highly likely to release Santana Moss and Adam Carriker. Need cap space

Crap, is Redskins going to even have good play makers left over?

Also, Seattle adding Harvin is a scary thing if he plays well. Weird to think that Seattle has both Harvin and Rice at receiver. That can be a productive WR tandem as Brett Favre showed us, only difference is: Brett Favre. Crazy to think that the NFC West has gone from being a joke division to such a frightening division in less then a couple of years.

As far as Cruz is concerned, I don't want to see him go to Minnesota. He should go to an actual team.

squicken

Thanks Draxal and FV for the replies. The Vikes HAVE to do something at WR. I think Wallace would be best, but if not, then I think Cruz and the lost pick is better than Jennings at 8m. Jennings seems like Ahman Green 2.0

http://t.co/Tw8eTMKX54

Always the matter of Percy's issues

Cagey

Banned
Harvin netting a 1st + 7th + future mid-round pick on top of a new contract is bad news for the Giants, in terms of other teams being gunshy to forfeit a 1st + massive contract for Cruz.

Harvin netting a 1st + 7th + future mid-round pick on top of a new contract is bad news for the Giants, in terms of other teams being gunshy to forfeit a 1st + massive contract for Cruz.
Though interesting how the tenders weren't announced until after the trade.;) One less team in the mix for his services.

Also, Seattle adding Harvin is a scary thing if he plays well. Weird to think that Seattle has both Harvin and Rice at receiver. That can be a productive WR tandem as Brett Favre showed us, only difference is: Brett Favre. Crazy to think that the NFC West has gone from being a joke division to such a frightening division in less then a couple of years.

As far as Cruz is concerned, I don't want to see him go to Minnesota. He should go to an actual team.

SHOTS FIRED.

No, the commish decided that we deserved to be uncompetitive for a minimum of two years even before we got Griff.

I'm still pissed we didn't sue the league over it.

whatever..

I'm surprised to hear about carricker though...we need QB pressure.

edit: We're losing Lorenzo too?

how are we over the cap with all the scrubs on this team even with an 18 mil cap penalty?

what the fuck

Cagey

Banned
Though interesting how the tenders weren't announced until after the trade.;) One less team in the mix for his services.

Certainly, though I've been of the opinion that teams aren't keen on tossing away first round picks (and thus contracts) for the right to pay $10m+ per year to a WR.

The compensation in this deal surprises me.

squicken

Mind if I do the Rammies 22nd from the Redskins, Squicken?

Sure, but I wasn't going to ignore you or anything on 16. Really do have to reconsider defense now. If SEA is going go nuts with backfield action, may have to think about how to speed them up. Having LBs and DEs stand in place isn't the answer

eznark

Banned
Sure, but I wasn't going to ignore you or anything on 16. Really do have to reconsider defense now. If SEA is going go nuts with backfield action, may have to think about how to speed them up. Having LBs and DEs stand in place isn't the answer

You know damn well the answer from Fisher is going to be lots and lots and lots of cheap shots.

squicken

You know damn well the answer from Fisher is going to be lots and lots and lots of cheap shots.

You know I was expecting them to do that all year after the way they roughed up Griffin, but they never did it again. I always wondered if the league got after them about it. BAL roughed up SF after plays far more than STL ever did

They will probably hit Wilson every time he hands off but fakes a keep. BAL set that precedent with the edge guys on Kap

bionic77

I don't know what I'd say he's worth to the Dolphins but I don't have a problem saying it's a lot. Wallace is fast, young, and good in the redzone which are all attributes that should improve the Dolphins offense substantially. Without a guy like Wallace: 1) The Hartline contract is a dumb move. 2) Bess is less of a factor. 3) Tannehill's strong arm and ability to stretch the field is completely wasted. 4) The box is constantly loaded with 8 guys and defenses don't respect the deep ball.

Time will tell if it's a smart move or not, but this offense needs a fast no. 1 receiver right now, and with that kind of need it should only be expected that the price will be high. The Dolphins have been setting up for this kind of move since they let Brandon Marshall go.

All of this is assuming they even get him, of course.
He might be a great fit for the Dolphins but no receiver is worth $10 million a year and I will hate the Dolphins if they pay a one trick pony like Wallace that money and fuck over every other team trying to sign their receivers. Look at the Packers. They know how to draft receivers and always have a young crop ready to come in and replace the older guys. Thats the way to do it. Not paying an overrated speed guy based on God knows what metrics.

Wallace did not even have a good year last year!

effzee

From one of the Eagles beat writers:'

Very interested in CB Smith (from Dolphins) and if now will make a serious push for S Quin from Texans if he doesn't reach a last minute deal tonight.

Those two signings would be huge in terms of rebuilding the secondary. Of course they would still need to draft one of each because that's just how bad the whole secondary is/was.

We also need a nose tackle and possibly 2-3 LBs who can play whatever version of the 3-4 they want to implement. :(

Cagey

Banned
So what do those tenders mean?

I'm assuming it involves compensation if the player signs with another team?

It's the automatic compensation given, barring any other transaction. Teams can work out deals (Pats-Fins for Welker, 2nd round tender became 2nd + 7th) to alter the compensation.

Draxal

Thanks Draxal and FV for the replies. The Vikes HAVE to do something at WR. I think Wallace would be best, but if not, then I think Cruz and the lost pick is better than Jennings at 8m. Jennings seems like Ahman Green 2.0

http://t.co/Tw8eTMKX54

Always the matter of Percy's issues

I think you might have confused me with BigAT, (who has much more saner POVs then I do).

Cruz's agent is also a newbie, and the Giants have a tradition of not dealing with those agents if they make insane demands (see the Burress Situation where he fired the agent, after the Giants said they're done dealing with him, he hired Rosenhaus and signed a deal with the Giants in the next two days).

The other thing that Cruz has (and it's mentioned by Eric from BBI, who runs BBI) is that he's a local boy from Paterson that's 10 miles away from the Stadium, and there's a pretty large hispanic community around. He might take a hometown discount for that reason. He is incredibly marketable to an untapped marked in the biggest market in the world.

Vio-Lence

Banned
Mel Kiper Jr. posted his latest mock draft on ESPN. He has the Bears taking DJ Fluker at 20. I'm not too crazy about the Bears taking another run blocking right tackle in the first round who's weak in pass blocking.

squicken

Mel Kiper Jr. posted his latest mock draft on ESPN. He has the Bears taking DJ Fluker at 20. I'm not too crazy about the Bears taking another run blocking right tackle in the first round who's weak in pass blocking.

Too high. Thought is he'll have to drop to guard. Lots of good guards are college tackles. I think both SF's guards were college tackles. But you don't draft them high. I've seen the Bears connected to Eifert, mostly

bionic77

Figured Foster would be coming back, good signing as he's been solid whenever asked to step in. Also heard on the radio on why they haven't cut Colon yet. If they wait to do it in June, they save more against the cap.
We are going to lose a lot of jokes when they cut Colon.

Hope the cap relief is worth it!

cdyhybrid

2014 Draft News:

ASJ was arrested for DUI Saturday night after driving his car off the road and apparently hitting his head on the windshield after landing in a catch basin.

What a goddamn idiot. He'll have to be a model citizen and play his ass off if he wants to keep his draft stock up. Luckily for him, a single DUI isn't a big deal to most NFL teams.

BigAT

With all the talk of restricted free agent signings (Cruz specifically I suppose), it should be worth noting that there has been just a single RFA signed by a different team in the last four years. The numbers for the last ten years:

2003 - 5
2004 - 1
2005 - 3
2006 - 4
2007 - 4
2008 - 3
2009 - 0
2010 - 1
2011 - 0
2012 - 0

2014 Draft News:

ASJ was arrested for DUI Saturday night after driving his car off the road and apparently hitting his head on the windshield after landing in a catch basin.

What a goddamn idiot. He'll have to be a model citizen and play his ass off if he wants to keep his draft stock up. Luckily for him, a single DUI isn't a big deal to most NFL teams.

Who's ASJ?

squicken

With all the talk of restricted free agent signings (Cruz specifically I suppose), it should be worth noting that there has been just a single RFA signed by a different team in the last four years. The numbers for the last ten years:

2003 - 5
2004 - 1
2005 - 3
2006 - 4
2007 - 4
2008 - 3
2009 - 0
2010 - 1
2011 - 0
2012 - 0

Kind of depends if he wants to leave. Giants may match any reasonable offer, but then teams won't bother with it if he just wants an offer he hopes the Giants will match. He'll have to want to leave, and that means signing something structured to make it impossible for them to match

BigAT

Kind of depends if he wants to leave. Giants may match any reasonable offer, but then teams won't bother with it if he just wants an offer he hopes the Giants will match. He'll have to want to leave, and that means signing something structured to make it impossible for them to match

It sounds like they may have eliminated that type of contract structuring with the most recent CBA. I found this quote in this Mike Garafolo article:

"One consideration Mara need not worry about is a "poison pill" type contract the Minnesota Vikings used to secure Seattle Seahawks all-pro guard Steve Hutchinson in 2006. Such virtually unmatchable offers — Seattle's salary cap would have been wrecked had it matched Minnesota's offer sheet — have been negated by a clause in the new collective bargaining agreement."

Sounds interesting, although I haven't been able to find what specific changes were made to prevent such things from happening.

1. Chiefs -
2. Jaguars - Tamanon
3. Raiders - ChanHuk, Mackenzie 92
4. Eagles - Yankeehater
5. Lions - WedgeX, Goldlion054
6. Browns - BlackGhost, Wes, theBatman
7. Cardinals - Squall ASF
8. Bills - LJ11
9. Jets -
10. Titans -
11. Chargers - Nightz
12. Dolphins -
13. Buccaneers -
14. Panthers - Bowser
15. Saints -
16. Rams - squicken
17. Steelers - DeaconKnowledge, chuckddd, Angmarsking701, 789shadow
18. Cowboys - cashman
19. Giants - Futurevoid, BigAT, Striker
20. Bears - cuevas, phd., Vio-lence
21. Bengals -
22. Rams (from Redskins) -
23. Vikings -
24. Colts -
25. Minnesota - from Seattle -
26. Packers - eznark, TheLegendary
27. Texans -
28. Broncos - Godslay
29. Patriots - Dutch Patriot
30. Falcons - Talon
31. 49ers -
32. Ravens - BaltimoreLarry, Nakazato

Missing reps for the bolded teams. Please. Let's get fans to represent before we move to alternates.
I'll pick for the Dolphins.

He might be a great fit for the Dolphins but no receiver is worth $10 million a year and I will hate the Dolphins if they pay a one trick pony like Wallace that money and fuck over every other team trying to sign their receivers. Look at the Packers. They know how to draft receivers and always have a young crop ready to come in and replace the older guys. Thats the way to do it. Not paying an overrated speed guy based on God knows what metrics.

Wallace did not even have a good year last year!
I think in a lot of ways the Dolphins would like to move towards that Packers philosophy in years to come, but the fact is they need a guy like Wallace right now and they have the cap space to make it happen without hurting their draft status. $10 million a year is a lot but apparently Ireland thinks Wallace is worth it (and I wouldn't be surprised if a few other GM's do as well). The Dolphins can't afford to draft a receiver and wait a year or two in hopes that he'll develop into a legitimate number one guy. They need help for Tannehill now, and it's going to cost them.

I blame Nick Saban, somehow.

It sounds like they may have eliminated that type of contract structuring with the most recent CBA. I found this quote in this Mike Garafolo article:

"One consideration Mara need not worry about is a "poison pill" type contract the Minnesota Vikings used to secure Seattle Seahawks all-pro guard Steve Hutchinson in 2006. Such virtually unmatchable offers — Seattle's salary cap would have been wrecked had it matched Minnesota's offer sheet — have been negated by a clause in the new collective bargaining agreement."

Sounds interesting, although I haven't been able to find what specific changes were made to prevent such things from happening.

They can still frontload it enough so the Giants cant match. They just cant word it so that if he say plays 6 games a season in New York the whole contract is guaranteed.

Draxal

There's so many variables at stake here, that's really hard to predict. Hometown discount/agent conflict with the team etc/true worth of a first round pick with rookie scale etc.

Top Bottom