• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread 2013 - Here comes the wait

effzee

Not that I'll hate it but Amendola would be a useless signing. We need a WR or two with size who can go across the middle and go up in the end zone for a tough catch. Not another small speedy WR.

On the other would love the pick up of Long (at the right price) or any of the other RTs on the market. Would free Eagles up to move Todd back to his natural Guard position, get a starting RT immensely superior to anyone they had last season, and open up the #4 spot to draft the best defensive player on the board.

squicken

Not that I'll hate it but Amendola would be a useless signing. We need a WR or two with size who can go across the middle and go up in the end zone for a tough catch. Not another small speedy WR.

On the other would love the pick up of Long (at the right price) or any of the other RTs on the market. Would free Eagles up to move Todd back to his natural Guard position, get a starting RT immensely superior to anyone they had last season, and open up the #4 spot to draft the best defensive player on the board.

If you could get guaranteed health from Amendola you'd pay him 10m/yr. He really good at what he does. Impossible to cover 1v1 and great move the chains guy. But he's rarely healthy b/c he plays like a maniac and is only 5'10 200 (at best)

Can you say that with any certainty without knowing the type of offense Chip is going to install, though? Avant isn't a Welker/Cruz/Amendola type of slot guy and you don't have that guy on your roster. If Kelley is going for an up-tempo move the chains offense....

effzee

If you could get guaranteed health from Amendola you'd pay him 10m/yr. He really good at what he does. Impossible to cover 1v1 and great move the chains guy. But he's rarely healthy b/c he plays like a maniac and is only 5'10 200 (at best)

Of course he is good. And we should have never let him go to begin with bit with the current makeup of the team I'd just prefer a big WR. Only guy like that we ever had was TO.

Can you say that with any certainty without knowing the type of offense Chip is going to install, though? Avant isn't a Welker/Cruz/Amendola type of slot guy and you don't have that guy on your roster. If Kelley is going for an up-tempo move the chains offense....

Yeah that's why I said I wouldn't hate it but in terms of needs I just don't see it as something necessary because I think DJAX fits that slot spot as well. He isn't a #1 WR and neither is Maclin but DJAX fits the slot better cause of his speed and size. If they upgrade WR I'd want someone who is better than both and or possesses a different skill set.

But as with every move Chip makes giving him all the benefit of doubt for now.

He isn't a #1 WR and neither is Maclin but DJAX fits the slot better cause of his speed and size.
Jackson isn't a good route runner though and that's what guys like Amendola bring to the table. Frankly, if it wasn't for him being completely unable to stay healthy, I'd be concerned if Kelley got him.;)

On the other would love the pick up of Long (at the right price) or any of the other RTs on the market.
Harsh.

On another note, I keep forgetting how amazing ESPN's stock photo of Mike Wallace is:

i

squicken

Yeah that's why I said I wouldn't hate it but in terms of needs I just don't see it as something necessary because I think DJAX fits that slot spot as well. He isn't a #1 WR and neither is Maclin but DJAX fits the slot better cause of his speed and size. If they upgrade WR I'd want someone who is better than both and or possesses a different skill set.

But as with every move Chip makes giving him all the benefit of doubt for now.

Does seem like you guys could use a big TE, but we'll have to see what Chip does. Maybe he wants a stable of small fast guys, acknowledging they'll get hurt

I love the idea of getting DA. Guy is impossible to cover, he was always getting open even with the Rams lack of weapons. There just arnt big physical WRs available in FA. I do hope the Eagles try to get a bigger Wr some where in the draft though.

squicken

Bowser or Grover I can't remember which, but you guys suck. When Oklahoma was cheating to all get out at least we won. Fake academic programs, agent payouts, fake grades. Did you even win your conference? Terrible

effzee

Does seem like you guys could use a big TE, but we'll have to see what Chip does. Maybe he wants a stable of small fast guys, acknowledging they'll get hurt

Yeah I would be happier with picking up Cook. Chip also mentioned he wants a lot out of the TE position and more TEs on the roster so obviously Celek isn't enough. Wouldn't shock me to see them trade down and then select one of the top two TEs in this draft.

Are any of the Lego games great?

Their gameplay is always sufficient but never mindblowing. I just like them because they are hilarious and fun to play. I wouldn't call any of the ones I played masterpieces though.

Yeah, I wouldn't call them masterpieces, but they're just simply fun. The first Indiana Jones one is my favorite. My niece, who's not a big gamer, loved it. And I thought it was awesome that after playing it she wanted to watch the movies.

I thought this was an interesting read. Funny that the league legalized tampering but then made it so teams were to afraid to actually do anything:

Les Bowen said:
Countdown to NFL free agency

NOBODY REALLY knew what would happen in the NFL's first official "pre-free-agency" negotiating period.

Turned out, not much did.

Everyone was clear that deals couldn't be announced before the official start of free agency, Tuesday at 4 p.m. But agents had hoped to get some numbers from teams, starting at midnight Friday, and they'd figured they might even strike unofficial bargains. The NFL put an abrupt end to those hopes Friday with a memo warning about investigations for "tampering," should anyone enter into even agreements in principle.

As one agent I talked with Sunday noted, the league never seemed very concerned about tampering in the days leading up to free agency before this. Now, after setting up a period that originally seemed designed to legalize tampering, the NFL wants to make sure nobody tampers.

One school of thought is that the NFL maybe didn't intend Friday's memo to produce as chilling an effect as it did, that the league just wanted to make sure unofficial deals weren't announced before Tuesday. But the teams don't want to assume anything, given the disciplinary tone struck in recent years by commissioner Roger Goodell. (Maybe you saw him on the cover of Sports Illustrated last week, sitting in the "Iron Throne" from Game of Thrones.)

So, agents were saying over the weekend that they were getting a lot of general expressions of interest, not much that was really helpful to them, in moving toward a deal. The biggest effect seemed to be that teams worked toward bringing back their own pending free agents, before they hit the market, as was the case with Atlanta and safety William Moore, who agreed to a 5-year deal with the Falcons that will pay him $18 million over the first 3 years.

That was bad news for teams that might have coveted Moore, but it might have helped some of them as well, setting the safety market a little lower than top free agents might have hoped. Reportedly, 49ers safety Dashon Goldson is shooting for $8 million a year. Moore's deal might make it hard for him to get that, even from the Eagles and player personnel vice president Tom Gamble, who worked for the 49ers until last month.

Assessing the Eagles and free agency is tricky, for several reasons. One is that Chip Kelly is brand-new to the NFL, and nobody really knows what he thinks of his roster. After the Eagles' disastrous free-agent spending spree of 2011, there's a sense that general manager Howie Roseman isn't looking so much for big stars in their primes as he is solid starters with upside - younger guys who will still be good in a few years, when the Eagles can logically expect to contend for a Super Bowl. But Roseman has described his job right now as acquiring the kinds of players Kelly needs. What if Kelly doesn't see nearly enough of those when he watches 2012 film, and wants to bring in a truckload of free agents, price be darned?

Given that the Eagles must completely rebuild their disaster-area secondary, it's reasonable to assume they are seeking a corner or a safety, maybe both. You can't draft an entire secondary and put it on the field in 2013, especially when you only have eight draft picks, one in each round until the seventh.

The Eagles are expected to be among several teams vying for the services of corner Sean Smith, a Dolphins free agent who seems unlikely to stay in Miami. (That's a big part of the countdown to Tuesday - who is really ready to go, and who is still trying to work out a deal to stay? When an agent change was announced for corner Chris Houston over the weekend, the inference in Detroit was that this was related to a potential deal to stay with the Lions.) I don't know why Houston switched, but it's worth noting that his old agent, Brian Overstreet, also represents another hot free-agent commodity at the same position, Pittsburgh's Keenan Lewis.

Another top corner expected to hit the market, Atlanta's Brent Grimes, is repped by Ben Dogra, with whom the Eagles have been negotiating regarding a restructuring of Nnamdi Asomugha's contract. It would be interesting if Asomugha's expected departure ends up leading to Grimes coming to the Eagles. Roseman has stressed how much he values his relationship with Dogra.

Antoine Cason, from San Diego, and Greg Toler, from Arizona, also are under-30 corners who might interest the Birds.

The Eagles are among the teams expected to be in the hunt for Houston safety Glover Quin, if Quin doesn't reach a last-minute deal to stay with the Texans. Goldson would be the other top safety name. Depending on how they feel about his injury history, the Eagles might also want to look into the Giants' Kenny Phillips.

Defensive line seems to be another likely spot for additions, especially given the Gamble connection and the pending availability of San Francisco nose tackle-defensive end Ricky Jean-Francois.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Browns have contacted Captain Munnerlyn.

I'll be honest the most I know about him is that photoshop someone did in of him being 3 foot 2.

Bowser

I'll be honest the most I know about him is that photoshop someone did in of him being 3 foot 2.

Good nickel back/ST player. Name shouldn't be mentioned this early into FA though. Sounds like he's going to be overpaid though if he has this much early interest.

BigAT

There was never any tampering in the NFL. The Redskins clearly negotiated and agreed upon a complex 100-million dollar deal with Albert Haynesworth in the 59 seconds between midnight and 12:01.

In retrospect, they probably wish the NFL would have stepped in and voided the contract due to tampering.

BigAT

:jnc

JA2 really blew my mind at the time - that was back in the day when I would just search "PC demos" and try everything I could.

I played the JA2 demo on one of those demo discs that would come with every PC Gamer. I remember getting a ton of playtime out of those, they always seemed to be packed with a ton of content. Gone are the days of good game demos.

Want to hate Jagged Alliance forever? Play the new one.

NEVER!

harSon

Banned
Schefter said on SC that only Wallace will cross 10m/yr. Jake Long not getting much interest

He's really going to be paid more than 10 million a year Lol? If he played this horribly in a contract season, I can only imagine how he's going to play once he's actually guaranteed a fair bit of change. And he'll have Tannehill throwing to him? hahaha

He's really going to be paid more than 10 million a year Lol? If he played this horribly in a contract season, I can only imagine how he's going to play once he's actually guaranteed a fair bit of change. And he'll have Tannehill throwing to him? hahaha

I thought that the feeling was that he had a poor season last year due to him being upset at the Steelers over his contract. It would have been nice if he handled it better but it is understandable that I guy isnt going to go out and risk injury for a team that is trying to lowball him.

Greg

I played the JA2 demo on one of those demo discs that would come with every PC Gamer. I remember getting a ton of playtime out of those, they always seemed to be packed with a ton of content. Gone are the days of good game demos.
Those discs were the best. I remember first playing SiN on a PC Gamer disc - that was another game that blew my mind at the time, and I played it at like 15fps.

Want to hate Jagged Alliance forever? Play the new one.
They made a new one? Damnit.

I'm not even going to google it and risk ruining my mental image.

I thought that the feeling was that he had a poor season last year due to him being upset at the Steelers over his contract. It would have been nice if he handled it better but it is understandable that I guy isnt going to go out and risk injury for a team that is trying to lowball him.
He held out of camp (refused to sign his 1st round tender) in a year when they brought in a new offensive coordinator. He had to learn the offense on the fly when he finally came in. Not an excuse as it was his own doing in holding out but teams will take that into account when assigning him a dollar value as well as his previous production. Plus the Steelers made it abundantly clear who their priority was when they signed Antonio Brown long term in the middle of the Wallace nonsense.

He's DeSean Jackson 2.0 (all speed with a bigger frame) but then speed kills and teams will pay for that.

Probably missed the discussion earlier but what does BrownsGAF think of us going after Harrison? Was listening to 850 AM talk about it this morning and I'm 50/50 on it.

Yeah, Tannehill has really had a chance to prove that he can't throw the long ball, huh?

the only tactical game like that I'll ever play is Jagged Alliance

I like more action/control in my games
I understand. I know better than to question your tastes.

Article on ESPN- "Joe Flacco Sticks up For Anquan Boldin"

You better fucking stick up for him, Joe, his ass made you look good and made you alot of money. You know you need him.

Top Bottom