• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread 2013 - Here comes the wait

Sure, but I wasn't going to ignore you or anything on 16. Really do have to reconsider defense now. If SEA is going go nuts with backfield action, may have to think about how to speed them up. Having LBs and DEs stand in place isn't the answer

Eh do them both and ill just contribute thoughts. I've heard that it is a reasonably deep draft for safety, anyone particularly good at coverage?

Mara on restructuring Eli Manning since he's a 20.8 million cap hit this season:

"We haven’t really talked about that. That’s always an option at some point in time, but he’s proven to be worth the amount of salary-cap space that’s been allocated to him.

"That’s something you could always do at some point to create more room. But again, the more room you create in current years, you have to pay that back at some point in time, and you don’t want to put yourself in a position where you are in salary-cap jail and you’re forced to cut an inordinate number of players. That’s something that may be discussed at some point in the future, but that’s not on our radar right now."

jakncoke

Banned
lol damn at chris gamble, should of came to pitt :p

also lol seattle going to hate that deal when harvin continues to be a bitch with his chocha headaches

bluemax

Banned
Man if they can offset some of the cost of Harvin by trading Flynn, they will have had an excellent offseason just with those two moves.

Don't forget that Harvin now makes Leon Washington and his fairly large contract expendable. Washington either gets cut or restructures now which saves the Seahawks a pretty decent sum of money.

If any coaching staff can get Harvin to shape up I feel like its ours. Coupling him with Bevell again seems like a positive as well.

I do feel like the cost was a bit high, but my boner from imagining the kinds of plays we can run is making it hard for me to worry.

Colasante

Don't forget that Harvin now makes Leon Washington and his fairly large contract expendable. Washington either gets cut or restructures now which saves the Seahawks a pretty decent sum of money.

If any coaching staff can get Harvin to shape up I feel like its ours. Coupling him with Bevell again seems like a positive as well.

I do feel like the cost was a bit high, but my boner from imagining the kinds of plays we can run is making it hard for me to worry.

I think the cost was fair for the Seahawks, especially when you consider that the next likeliest suitor for him was probably the 49ers. I was surprised they didn't try to include Flynn as part of the deal, since the Vikings are looking for better competition behind Ponder. I guess that contract makes trading him near impossible.

mr2xxx

Banned
D-Hall release, it was a no brainer, too much money for the guy as inconsistent as he is.
Moss and Fletcher are likely cuts though. Loved both guys here and so many great memories but their time is up and the young guys need to step up.

The only one of those 3 we might miss is Carriker, and that is because you can never have enough D-line depth. Hall and Santana are toast.

Per Rotoworld said:
Redskins DE Adam Carriker has restructured his contract and will return to the team in 2013.
Carriker was owed a $3.7 million base salary and $300,000 in offseason bonuses. He either took a pay cut (more likely) or simply moved money around (less likely) to free up salary cap space. Carriker, 29 in May, missed all but two games last season with a torn quadriceps tendon in his right leg. He'll likely return as the top backup to starting DEs Stephen Bowen and Jarvis Jenkins. Mar 11 - 2:32 PM - Per Roto World

Looks like Carriker will stay here which is great since he is good and we need the depth at DE.

squicken

Eh do them both and ill just contribute thoughts. I've heard that it is a reasonably deep draft for safety, anyone particularly good at coverage?

We'll make sure we have a consensus before we pick something. As far as safeties, I just don't like Vacarro that high. Seems like he should have been more productive in school. Not really a lot of INTs playing in a pass happy conference. He also ran a meh 40 time for a guy who would need to be a single high center fielder quite a bit

There's always the issue of Mack Brown and his awful coaching staff, but the Rams will need speed. Probably better to look at it in later rounds or FA

It sounds like they may have eliminated that type of contract structuring with the most recent CBA. I found this quote in this Mike Garafolo article:

"One consideration Mara need not worry about is a "poison pill" type contract the Minnesota Vikings used to secure Seattle Seahawks all-pro guard Steve Hutchinson in 2006. Such virtually unmatchable offers — Seattle's salary cap would have been wrecked had it matched Minnesota's offer sheet — have been negated by a clause in the new collective bargaining agreement."

Sounds interesting, although I haven't been able to find what specific changes were made to prevent such things from happening.

Think it's just weird stuff like what SEA did with Burleson. Nothing against front loading it or signing bonuses

squicken

Cruz changing agents. Mara wins again

oh SF has Boldin. rams have one NFL WR and he can't stay healthy so is getting let go in FA

GO COLTS

We'll make sure we have a consensus before we pick something. As far as safeties, I just don't like Vacarro that high. Seems like he should have been more productive in school. Not really a lot of INTs playing in a pass happy conference. He also ran a meh 40 time for a guy who would need to be a single high center fielder quite a bit

There's always the issue of Mack Brown and his awful coaching staff, but the Rams will need speed. Probably better to look at it in later rounds or FA

So what are you thinking? Guard if Warmack is there and OT if not and a WR? Aren't there a couple linebackers projected in the first?

Striker

I don't understand how the 49ers keep swindling everybody.
Boldin was going to be cut anyways, SF said why not and gave them a pick. I'm sure SF were first to get dibs in any situation due to the coaches.

Cruz changing agents bodes well. Sounds like his agent before wasn't listening to any Giants offers.

mr2xxx

Banned

The cost is too high IMO. Dude is an elite talent but you have health issues and the attitude issues dating back to his college days. The guy whines and acts like a diva and what happens, he gets everything he wants, a trade + big contract. That's not the type of thing that humbles anybody. Seattle seems to have a good environment but its not like Minny was a dysfunctional place. I think you guys would of been better off using a third to trade up in the first to get Tavon Austin, or just using the 1st to get a pass rusher.

Striker

Mike Garafolo ‏@MikeGarafolo

Victor Cruz's new agent will be Tom Condon of CAA, who has done deals with the Giants for Eli Manning and Mathias Kiwanuka in recent years.

bigosc2k

Banned
Wow on Boldin being traded to the niners, that is now back to back years niners have grabbed a receiver from the pervious super bowl winner.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
Mel Kiper released his latest mock draft:

1 Luke Joeckel Kansas City Chiefs (2-14)

Pick analysis: Joeckel can play a huge role this season as the immediate starter at right tackle, and could become the left tackle of the future. Joeckel is a complete package, a gifted pass-blocker who utilizes great technique and also brings power in the run game.

2 Eric Fisher Jacksonville Jaguars (2-14)

Pick analysis: The Jags really need help on the pass rush, but they can get help there in Round 2. In taking Fisher, they improve their situation at left tackle, and there's no certainty that incumbent Eugene Monroe will be around in 2014. The Jags will never know what they have at QB if they can't do a better job in pass protection.

3 Sharrif Floyd *Oakland Raiders (4-12)

Pick analysis: The Raiders are in desperate need of young talent on the defensive line after a year where they were far too often gashed by the run. Floyd is a dynamic young talent, has played inside and on the edge and uses great leverage and power to drive blockers back and blow up plays.

4 Dee Milliner * Philadelphia Eagles (4-12)

Pick analysis: Nnamdi Asomugha won't be wearing an Eagles uniform in 2013, and in a division with Eli Manning, Tony Romo and Robert Griffin III, the Eagles can't simply attempt to piece together the secondary. They need talent, and Milliner offers the best cornerback talent in the draft. Not a tough pick.

5 Ezekiel Ansah Detroit Lions (4-12)

Pick analysis: The Lions have some glaring holes at defensive end with Kyle Vanden Bosch and Cliff Avril headed elsewhere, but that also could create an opportunity for an upgrade. Ansah is raw in terms of football skills, but he can develop into an explosive pass-rusher in that scheme, with strength to hold up against the run.

6 Dion Jordan Cleveland Browns (5-11)

Pick analysis: The Browns had one of the worst pass rushes in the league last year, even with Jabaal Sheard around. Jordan is a long, explosive pass-rusher with freakish athleticism and an ability to work in space. This is a guy you want to unleash in a 3-4.

7 Geno Smith Arizona Cardinals (5-11)

Pick analysis: What stands out with Smith is his ball placement -- he can be extremely accurate when he's making the right reads, something he did often in 2012. Arm strength is good, not elite, and you can certainly contend that any good QB might put up good numbers in the system he was in, and with the receivers he had. It's not a great value on my board, but it's a major need pick. Smith's pro day is Thursday, and you can be certain the Cardinals will be present.

8 Jarvis Jones *Buffalo Bills (6-10)

Pick analysis: Want to guarantee an improvement in your pass rush? Here's your safe pick. Jones has been exceptional for two years now against elite competition, and demands help when he comes off the edge. He's not Von Miller in terms of his athleticism, but he has the chance to produce at a slightly lower level, making him a good value at this slot.

9 Barkevious Mingo *New York Jets (6-10)

Pick analysis: It's about time the Jets found an athletic difference-maker on the edge for Rex Ryan. The interior of the defensive line should be a strength with Muhammad Wilkerson and Quinton Coples, but they need edge speed. Mingo is a freak athlete, and could become a star with the right coaching.

10 Jonathan Cooper Tennessee Titans (6-10)

Pick analysis: Adding Cooper just provides an immediate upgrade on the interior of your offensive line. A complete player who gets a great punch and moves really well for his size, he can run block well, pull with ease, move exceptionally well in the screen game and hit moving targets.

11 Lane Johnson San Diego Chargers (7-9)

Pick analysis: A really good player who is only going to get better, Johnson can become the successor to Jared Gaither at left tackle. Injuries along the offensive line have really weakened the offense over the past couple of seasons, and Philip Rivers has taken a step back because of it. Johnson, a former junior college quarterback, is a pretty gifted athlete for his size, and has been a star during the evaluation process going on now

12 Cordarrelle Patterson *Miami Dolphins (7-9)

Pick analysis: He needs work as a route-runner, but Patterson is a potential difference-maker in the passing game. He can go up and get it, take the top off defenses and keep safeties deep because of his speed, and he's a big, physical, shifty runner with the ball in his hands.

13 Star Lotulelei Tampa Bay Buccaneers (7-9)

Pick analysis: This isn't the top need for the Bucs, but assuming everything checks out for Lotulelei on the medical front, he'd be a total steal here and allow Greg Schiano to create depth and make this a potentially dominant run defense going forward.

14 Tavon Austin Carolina Panthers (7-9)

Pick analysis: Austin can't be used in the same manner as Steve Smith, but he can add another element of explosiveness to a passing attack that could use a player with his exact skills. Smith turns 34 two weeks after the draft, and Cam Newton could use an underneath target with the capability to do some damage after the catch.

Rest here

I think if Fisher/Joeckel drops to the Eagles they'll take him with Dee Milliner getting drafted by the Lions with the 5th pick. At this point I think its going to be Milliner/Dion Jordan/Jarvis Jones at the 5th pick. We need some sort of defensive playmakers with Suh and Fairley pressuring the middle.

Its a shame Lotulei is dropping for his health issues. Hopefully he checks out I'd love to watch him play in the NFL.

Draxal

Mel Kiper released his latest mock draft:

Rest here

I think if Fisher/Joeckel drops to the Eagles they'll take him with Dee Milliner getting drafted by the Lions with the 5th pick. At this point I think its going to be Milliner/Dion Jordan/Jarvis Jones at the 5th pick. We need some sort of defensive playmakers with Suh and Fairley pressuring the middle.

Its a shame Lotulei is dropping for his health issues. Hopefully he checks out I'd love to watch him play in the NFL.

Man, if Warmack goes 18 to the boys and then Teo goes to the Giant's at 19, I will need to buy a new tv.

jakncoke

Banned
TE? I know Heath just got hurt but seriously a TE in the 1st when we have a million holes would be terrible and I would shit on Kevin Colbert hood and put sugar in his gas tank.

mr2xxx

Banned
Good move by B-More and SF. Only issue is that Crabs and Boldin are both possesion guys, they just need a burner to open up the field.

JABEE

I hate that the Eagles weren't the team to give up a 6th round pick for Boldin. I guess they don't see themselves as winning it this season, so Boldin on a 1-year deal isn't that great of an option.

squicken

So what are you thinking? Guard if Warmack is there and OT if not and a WR? Aren't there a couple linebackers projected in the first?

Ogletree is kind of a knucklehead. Supposedly they are talking to Ellerbee. Fisher has said they don't want too many character issue guys, and Jenkins and Givens are issues

As far as Warmack, he's going to start slipping in mock drafts. Supposedly not all that bright, and can only play guard. Kind of like your players to be able to move around the line if there are injuries. Rams will look DT, DE, TE, WR, and OT. Doubt any of top 3 OTs fall, and it all depends on how they value Quick and Givens. If Eifert is there at 16, I hope they take him. At least that's what my hope is now. FA can alter things of course

Browns fans are dumb, they want James Harrison really bad. Dont they realize he washed up ?

I think he's got 1 year left, though not at the money he wants. Problem for him is it took him about 3 or 4 years to really learn the Steeler defense, so Horton or whoever else he goes to will need to be teaching the same kind of stuff I would think.

I hate that the Eagles weren't the team to give up a 6th round pick for Boldin. I guess they don't see themselves as winning it this season, so Boldin on a 1-year deal isn't that great of an option.

Yeah he could have been great in this offense. They need someone that will make the tough catches even when covered.

Top Bottom