• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread 2013 - Here comes the wait

Afrikan

happy for Goldson...he deserves every bit of that Contract!

I hope we get Woodson...and prays he stays healthy this season. :/

hope we also get Nnamdi.

I think that is the only way our secondary can show improvement after losing Goldson.

signing just Woodson will not cut it.

looking forward to Goldson destroying Dez and Julio.... as well as picking Breez left and right.

squicken

So what WRs are still available besides Jennings at this point?

I'm also glad we don't have terrible Cribbs anymore, growing up he was one of my favorite, then at some random point it just clicked that he wasn't good in any facet besides special teams.

Do you want to spend money on Brandon Gibson? He's supposedly the next best guy

I'm also glad we don't have terrible Cribbs anymore, growing up he was one of my favorite, then at some random point it just clicked that he wasn't good in any facet besides special teams.

Heyward-Bey, Brandon Lloyd (when he is cut)

Spinluck

Not sure how I feel about the Colts signings.

People on the Colts boards saying we should go WR in the 1st RD.

Fuck that, I say we pick up a DL.

smokeymicpot

Beat EviLore at pool.

Cruz is RFR we will hear news about him next week.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
Stuck with Schoob for years and losing starters left and right.

Give me something to be happy about Rick Smith.

squicken

Damn. what was he like in STL? I just hope we upgrade the position at some point this offseason, or we get another season featuring the drop artist Greg Little.

Little is better than Gibson. Gibson is a solid #3 who struggles vs press and likes to drop passes in traffic

About halfway through last season, Little seemed to have gotten over the dropsies. He credited Alonzo Mourning for helping him learn to focus on his craft.

Derrick01

Banned
He's posted here before. Going back to Tebow's season iirc. Us hillbillies stick together!

Yup I think that was the first NFL season that I was on Gaf. I just don't post in the NFL threads very often, and generally only when Broncos news or games are happening.

hope we also get Nnamdi.

I think that is the only way our secondary can show improvement after losing Goldson.

looking forward to Goldson destroying Dez and Julio.... as well as picking Breez left and right.

i'm sure the falcons are terrified of him after his marvelous performance in the NFC title game. i love goldson.... as a SS, not as a FS. dude can't cover for shit. i wish we kicked whitner to the curb and signed a real FS to team up with goldson.

goldson isn't the best FS in the league and shouldn't be paid that way. niners knew what they were doing after goldson made it clear he wanted to be the highest paid safety in the league. you can call it sour grapes from his former team but i said the samethings during last season as well

Kacar

About halfway through last season, Little seemed to have gotten over the dropsies. He credited Alonzo Mourning for helping him learn to focus on his craft.

That's good, I really wish I had the oppurtunity to watch every browns game completely but I usually can just catch whatever i they show on Redzone and when we get some national airtime, it sucks.

squicken

http://espn.go.com/boston/nfl/story...ots-quickly-shifted-wes-welker-danny-amendola

Behind the scenes of Welker/Pats saga. Pats had deal in place with Amendola on Tuesday. Welker got offered 2 years 15m from an AFC team that he was a non-contender. Probably CLE or MIA but not hinted at in article

edit: Rams supposedly cooling on Delmas, but still made a contract offer. Conflicting info, though telling that they wined and dined Jake Long but Delmas flew out to SF

hope we also get Nnamdi.

Ya, wish Goldson all the best. He's been a crucial part of helping to turn our franchise around. Same with Sopoaga and Delaine.

So many safeties visiting us nowadays. Although Lashon Landry signing with the Colts means that we should be signing either Ed Reed, Woodson and/or Nnamdi.

Afrikan

i'm sure the falcons are terrified of him after his marvelous performance in the NFC title game. i love goldson.... as a SS, not as a FS. dude can't cover for shit. i wish we kicked whitner to the curb and signed a real FS to team up with goldson.

goldson isn't the best FS in the league and shouldn't be paid that way. niners knew what they were doing after goldson made it clear he wanted to be the highest paid safety in the league. you can call it sour grapes from his former team but i said the samethings during last season as well

that was miscommunication on one play...want to name another play he f'd up on in that game???? should be easy, you make it seem like he was getting burnt left and right....

how many times have you seen him get beat? He rarely lets people get passed him...heck he has a number of INTs where he is in good position on deep throws in the endzone. Also alot of acrobatic picks like against the Cards a couple of years back and against the Redskins last season.

also made an amazing play to deflect a deep pass against the Jets this year.

there is a reason he was named All Pro at his position. That is not a popularity contest with homer 9er fans.

Bucs got a damn fine player....and anyone who goes out of their way to discredit Goldson (and its not only you FMT) are just bitter.

its funny that some 9er fans can point to a few mistakes here and there, yet ignore when Ed Reed or Troy make mistakes or draw 15 yard penalties.

Mindlog

Any word on whether the Lions are chasing anyone else? I heard Delmas left St Louis without signing anything and is heading to SF for talks. I'd love to resign him if possible. Wouldn't mind signing a WR now either instead of using a draft pick on one.

squicken

Any word on whether the Lions are chasing anyone else? I heard Delmas left St Louis without signing anything and is heading to SF for talks. I'd love to resign him if possible. Wouldn't mind signing a WR now either instead of using a draft pick on one.

This was report from STL paper on Delmas. Not really sure what is going on

Delmas, the safety from Detroit, also visited Wednesday and underwent a physical. He has missed 13 games over the past two seasons because of knee issues. Delmas was not invited to dinner. Instead, he left St. Louis reportedly for a visit to San Francisco, which lost Pro Bowl safety Dashon Goldson to Tampa Bay on Wednesday.

There were rumblings – underline “rumblings” – out of Detroit that the Rams were cooling on Delmas. But the opposite could be the case, because the Rams made a contract offer to Delmas before he left town. The safety market is glutted. According to the Dallas Morning News, no fewer than 11 starting safeties have been cut this offseason. That’s in addition to an already crowded field of safeties who are unrestricted free agents, plus what’s widely regarded as a deep draft pool at the position.

cdyhybrid

Jags, Seahawks, 49ers, Patriots, Ravens, Broncos, Chiefs and Colts were all at UW's Pro Day today, presumably to get another look at Desmond Trufant. He didn't do much because he did really well at the Senior Bowl and combine, so he just did some agility drills, and did the 3-cone drill in 6.76 seconds.

squicken

Maybe we can resign Mikell for less when the market cools down

I think the Rams want to be more inter-changeable with their safeties, and all Mikell could do was play in the box. He is a great blitzer, but that's really what became his specialty. It's hard to disguise your coverage when you drop him in the slot. He's either blitzing or playing zone

edit:Sando with a piece kind of wondering aloud if their was some tension with Baalke and Fangio about not using the full roster. He has a track record from his HOU days of not playing less athletic players b/c they knew the system, to the team's detriment

Some interesting stuff about the 4-3 being easier on young players, and the 49ers having to adjust to get young players on the field as their defensive core ages

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcwest/post/_/id/94000/glenn-dorsey-and-3-4-questions-for-49ers

JABEE

Wes Welker is such a fucking tool. Keep chasing rings loser, you'll never get one.

Are you joking? How is this Welker chasing a ring? I guess you could say that he went to a better team, but he seemed to want to stay with the Patriots. He just wasn't a priority for them.

Jags, Seahawks, 49ers, Patriots, Ravens, Broncos, Chiefs and Colts were all at UW's Pro Day today, presumably to get another look at Desmond Trufant. He didn't do much because he did really well at the Senior Bowl and combine, so he just did some agility drills, and did the 3-cone drill in 6.76 seconds.

Bill probably had a massive boner when he did his 3-cone.

Where is he projected to go? Around where the Pats pick correct?

evilhomer

Bill probably had a massive boner when he did his 3-cone.

Where is he projected to go? Around where the Pats pick correct?

Mid-late first round. He will be the 2nd or 3rd CB taken so he could be gone before the Pats pick, especially after testing so well but somewhere in the 20s seems most common guess.

squicken

Jennings visiting Vikes. TT has set his price and I guess Jennings didn't like it, but he does want Jennings back. Just seems like for 7-8 and not 10

edit: That's a little early for the Honeybadger, Dutch. He's going to be a later round guy who might go un-drafted

Jennings visiting Vikes. TT has set his price and I guess Jennings didn't like it, but he does want Jennings back. Just seems like for 7-8 and not 10

edit: That's a little early for the Honeybadger, Dutch. He's going to be a later round guy who might go un-drafted

I've seen mocks having him in the 3rd. He's this years Janoris Jenkins, but with some more issues and he's not as good as a corner (yet), he does bring more to special teams though. I like the kid, he got 'swag' on the field and seems to be a real playmaker. I would love for the Pats to take a shot at him (Maybe not the best idea to team him up with Talib though).

Also, tell me more about Amendola, I'm watching some highlight videos of him, seems to be faster than Welker in open space, but maybe a little less shifty. Some good contested catches as well, with solid hands. But since it are highlights, I can't really get a real idea of how good he is. Does he drop a lot of balls? Is he a smart player?

the Niners game seems to be a good one to watch him shine, but any games where he stunk it up ?

squicken

He didn't do great vs Chicago last year, but the whole team sucked. CHI was still healthy and were tearing it up. Best games were WAS and SF

He can get deep but decent corners will catch up. He probably has a smaller catch radius than Welker even though he is taller. Really cannot jump. It's his big limitation. Can't really work behind LBs. Trouble in RZ.

Just can't stay healthy. Pats fans don't get that about Welker. Look at Woodhead and Edelman getting banged up. It's hard to be a small little dude and play football. Welker is a marvel.

He didn't do great vs Chicago last year, but the whole team sucked. CHI was still healthy and were tearing it up. Best games were WAS and SF

He can get deep but decent corners will catch up. He probably has a smaller catch radius than Welker even though he is taller. Really cannot jump. It's his big limitation. Can't really work behind LBs. Trouble in RZ.

Just can't stay healthy. Pats fans don't get that about Welker. Look at Woodhead and Edelman getting banged up. It's hard to be a small little dude and play football. Welker is a marvel.

Oh I get that about Welker, dude gets rocked at least once every game and just gets up and gets going. He is truly made of stone or something. I bet Amendola lands on IR next season, where Wes will once again start every game and dominate.

Milchjon

But we do get that.
Amendola will have to do really really well to help me get over this.
Harumph.

squicken

Yeah, my bad. It actually seems the Pats fans really liked Welker, and are mad at BB. Good for them. It's a tough spot for Danny. He's trying to be a replacement for a guy who is better than he is. Really set up for failure

So on Mike and Mike today they had their 3 winners of FA. Denver 1, the Fins 2, and then the Bears 3. I was really surprised to see the Bears so high, both guys were raving about the Bushrod signing, and how much of an upgrade he would be. Does anyone actually think the Bears are having one of the best FA of any team so far?

Yeah, my bad. It actually seems the Pats fans really liked Welker, and are mad at BB. Good for them. It's a tough spot for Danny. He's trying to be a replacement for a guy who is better than he is. Really set up for failure

I hate the whole situation. Not only because we lost him, because I wish Wes all the best after what he did for us. But, the way they treated him is terrible and disrespectful.

With Kraft blowing that stupid shit out off his ass about wanting Wes to be a Pat for life, to then lowball the shit out of him, together with Bill.

I just don't get it, they say they don't pay for past production and look at what they can do for you in the future. But how is Amendola gonna be more effective than Wes when he can't stay healthy for shit.

Tom Penny

I hate the whole situation. Not only because we lost him, because I wish Wes all the best after what he did for us. But, the way they treated him is terrible and disrespectful.

With Kraft blowing that stupid shit out off his ass about wanting Wes to be a Pat for life, to then lowball the shit out of him, together with Bill.

I just don't get it, they say they don't pay for past production and look at what they can do for you in the future. But how is Amendola gonna be more effective than Wes when he can't stay healthy for shit.

They offered him 2/16 a year ago guaranteed and Wes said no and just paid him 11 million. He also could have made 2/16 if he reached incentives . That's what they offered him this time. He said no. Neither side budged. Obviously he's better than Danny but they moved on.That's business.

They offered him 2/16 a year ago guaranteed and Wes said no and just paid him 11 million. He also could have made 2/16 if he reached incentives . That's what they offered him this time. He said no. Neither side budged. Obviously he's better than Danny but they moved on.That's business.

Yes, it will always be business first. Especially with the Pats, and maybe I'm too emotional, but still, didn't have to end like this.

Lunchbox down!

What did he do?

Surprised he lasted this long. The Welker news must've pushed him over the edge.

He better be back, or he's out off the Shirtless league.

Wes

venison crêpe
He better be back, or he's out off the Shirtless league.

I imagine being removed from the Shirtless league is much like the scene for golfers after winning the Masters except this time when you're asked to put a layer of clothing on you feel nothing but despair.

effzee

Guess Aso is going somewhere else

I wouldn't be shocked to see the 49ers take a chance. He is from Cali originally I think and there are reports that he just didn't like his time away from Cali.

That staff and defense could help him turn his career around.

Yeah. I don't understand why Landry thinks being super swole makes him a better safety.

But he did have a great year for the Jets last season. In fact that whole secondary played. Another reason why they don't need Revis and his bloated salary. If they can replace Revis with 2-3 quality players then they are a better team for it.

Really wondering what the Eagles are doing at the safety spot. There were some quality Safety options in FA. They went for Chung out of all of them. Of course they can draft one too but higher risk of a flat out bust and when you need two starting safeties why not at least bring in one proven veteran, like a Quin, Goldson, or Landry, who are under the age of 30?

As bad as DRC and Nnamdi played for us the last two season, the terrible Safety play only made it worse.

Yes, there is me, Xeke, Brinbe, and YankeeHater. I'm sure there are more. Welcome to NFL-GAF.

Hey WTF? Bag of dicks for you!

Top Bottom