• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread 2013 - Here comes the wait

Dragon

Banned
I don't know how to feel.

On one hand its Ed Reed! On the other hand its Ed Reed!

I admire Ed Reed for holding the ball worse than Michael Vick and not fumbling as much. Takes talent to run back interceptions while waving the ball like a baton.

MechDX

Small Giants update:

I would LOVE to have Maualuga playing ILB next to Cushing.

6 years ago that would have been a huge move for the Texans. Are you guys over the cap or something? I really cant fathom how little the Texans have done this offseason.

We have $12 million to spend. That number can easily be raised by redoing Antonio Smiths contract who they want to extend anyways and doing some change up with Dre's and J Joes contracts. You have to look at the future though: Cushing is in his final year, Kareem Jackson is coming due and that 800lb gorilla of a man: JJ Watt will need a new contract in two years. Watt WILL get paid.

LevelNth

Banned
The Niners run 2-4 and 2-3 in their nickel and dime packages. It all depends on how you count people. Do you count them as their official positions dictate or how they line up?
I count how they line up to avoid confusion, which with you listing LB's as the first number has simply amplified chuck!

EDIT: Wait no you didn't, I see what you've done. You've just gone positional.

jbug617

Banned
6 years ago that would have been a huge move for the Texans. Are you guys over the cap or something? I really cant fathom how little the Texans have done this offseason.

I really don't know why Houston didn't go after Welker. His contract was reasonable and the team could of moved to the next level with him.

effzee

With Kolb to be released suddenly there is a decent market of back up QBs available.

Fitzpatrick who Minnesota should grab
Kolb
Cassel
and hopefully soon Foles

What happens with Flynn? Why doesn't a team like the Jaguars trade for the guy? Is he that bad?

And with DRC gone from the Eagles that terrible trade for both teams is complete. Well no we still have Nate Allen as a result.

eznark

Banned
I count how they line up to avoid confusion, which with you listing LB's as the first number has simply amplified chuck!

EDIT: Wait no you didn't, I see what you've done. You've just gone positional.

So the Packets psycho package you'd call a 6-0?

Weird.

I really don't know why Houston didn't go after Welker. His contract was reasonable and the team could of moved to the next level with him.

Yes, Welker would have been the perfect fit for them. Noodle arm could have gotten the ball to him, especially with Dre going deep and taking two guys with him. That offense could have been amazing with just that one move.

effzee

Is there an overabundance of teams having such huge shake ups this year or am I just stuck in the moment and this is no more than any given year?

Result of the CBA I believe. Cap didn't budge and the new rookie pay scale is so favorable that more and more teams really don't bother with extending or bringing back veterans.

MechDX

Naw. Keyshawn Martin will be the slot going forward. They are supposedly interested in Jennings. Dre, Jennings, Martin and Daniels running routes? Yes please!

Plus we have 11 draft picks this year

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
Result of the CBA I believe. Cap didn't budge and the new rookie pay scale is so favorable that more and more teams really don't bother with extending or bringing back veterans.

It's the fact that teams have to spend to the salary floor this year. Teams have to spend money, so the cheap teams are picking up players for more than they are worth. Or were worth.

eznark

Banned
It's a terrible draft class. Teams trying to patch up in FA more than ever.

Wide out class is both deep and also stacked. Yet wide outs are making a big splash in FA so I'm not sure that's really it. The floor is probably a bigger factor.

LevelNth

Banned
So the Packets psycho package you'd call a 6-0?

Weird.
No not really, I only really refer to the 4 main, base, boring, standard, whatever you want to call them, packages by the idea of 'how does the front line up'.

So 4-3, 3-4, 4-2, 4-1. Any other more unique variations or secondary heavy schemes like 3-Deep or what have you I just refer to as such. Keeps it simple and easy to explain to a non-layman.

No I don't disagree but the 0-7 is all I have! Let me have it!
It's all yours! For what it's worth I would love to see the Texans become one of the dominant teams in the AFC but I just can't help but feel like Schaub is holding them back. It's a tough situation they're in.

Switching subjects, I'm starting to get a little worried about how Wallace is going to handle his bigger role in Miami's offense. This kind of stuff:

“It’s going to be different playing with a guy who’s going to be younger than me,” Wallace said. “Ben always treated me like his little brother. Actually being a big brother is going to be a little different. But I’m excited.”
translates to me as, "PASS ME THE BALL EVERY SINGLE TIME I ASK FOR IT, KID!"

Damn the Broncos got DRC for a year at 5m?! That's a damn good signing, I think he is crazy underrated.

I think that could work out to be the best singing of the offseason. If he busts his ass for a new contract he could be really good. Playing on a them that wins 13+ games should really help as well.

94.1 wip is reporting that the Jets will sign Kolb once the Cards cut him. Looks like the Sanchize era(error) is really over.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
I think that could work out to be the best singing of the offseason. If he busts his ass for a new contract he could be really good. Playing on a them that wins 13+ games should really help as well.

94.1 wip is reporting that the Jets will sign Kolb once the Cards cut him. Looks like the Sanchize era(error) is really over.

Poor Fox. It's ok, buddy. Sanchez will still be on the roster!

Draxal

Martellus Bennett @JoeGryffindor
Great talk with Coach Pope this morning. Love that dude. Couldn't have asked for a better man to help me understand who I was a player...

...I will be forever grateful for the opportunity I was given in New York and being a part of an organization that believed in me

...And my family. I couldn't have found a better place to rekindle my dreams. The energy of the city was totally amazing. Thank you.

...I'm extremely appreciative of all the guys and the whole Giants organization as well as the wonderful fans. NY was truly a blessing to me

Honestly, gl to Bennett in Chicago. He's a fun guy to root for.

LevelNth

Banned
I'm hoping this has set the market a bit for Nnamdi as well, especially considering he's 4 years older.

If the Niners can snag him to a prove-it deal for ~4m, I will be very, very pleased.

Honestly, gl to Bennett in Chicago. He's a fun guy to root for.
Yep. Hope he isn't just stuck being a blocker for them. He gets more consistent in the passing game and he can be a weapon. Giants weren't ever going to pay him what the Bears did but I was hoping he would stay....

LevelNth

Banned
Hmmm I just read that Nnamdi is getting 4m from the Eagles this year regardless... I wonder if he'll take a super low ball 1-yr contract on a contender just to prove he's still got it.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
Blizzard has completely lost me. I haven't even thought about picking up Diablo 3 and I had no idea that Starcraft 2 pt 2 was already released. Sad times.

Top Bottom