• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread 2013 - Here comes the wait

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Behold Brandon Weeden's rookie card. They didn't even bother to spell his name right:

2002-Upper-Deck-Baseball-Prospect-Premieres-Brandon-Weeden-Pitcher-Yankees.jpg

At the time there was not too much information on Weeden and as Upper Deck worked to push out the 2002 Upper Deck Prospect Premieres set with close to 100 draft picks, a mistake was made. Information we received showed Brandon Weeden’s last name spelled “Wheeden” and that is how it his card was produced. It was not until the product was in the market and a couple collectors reached out to UD that we realized the error. Since the response was so minimal, the decision was made not to produce a corrected version and leave these cards in the market as uncorrected errors.

effzee

He doesn't make it past the Bills. It's obvious Nix is scrambling to do something at QB. Especially now that Fitz is gone. The only question is whether the Eagles, Raiders or Jags beat him to Smith.

I don't think the Eagles have much if any intention to draft him but I could be wrong. Raiders or Bills seems to be the most likely...

I think their new coach, from Syracuse, will want to pick up the QB coming out of Syracuse in the 2nd round.

You really think the Raiders take him that high? At 2? I do see him going in the first round but not to the Bills.

Eagles are going to trade back to like 8, and pick up an extra 3rd and then grab EJ in the 2nd/3rd depending how things work out.

Why would the Bills care to trade up? Geno will most likely be there for their own pick.

I'd love for them to trade down if they can pick another 2nd round pick but I don't see anyone interesting enough for teams to move all the way up to 4.

Could be anyone's last season. It's a five year deal (4 remaining), and Elway is layering it so that everything isn't entirely front loaded. None of these deals are breaking the bank.

No I mean based on his age he might not last or play a lot more. You have to maximize your chances to win a SB right now. You guys are right there knocking on the door.

Bread

Banned
I seriously don't think there's any way the Lions don't sit atop the NFC North this year. What fucking incredible pickups in FA. Reggie is gonna tear shit up...

"It's a running back's dream," Bush, 28, told the media Wednesday, after signing a four-year free-agent deal to be the latest cog in the Lions' yardage machine. "It's the first thing we talked about when we watched the film and saw those safeties deep and those safeties rolling over, double-covering Calvin Johnson. It's a running back's dream."

Fuck off GB
Kastrioti is that you?

You really think the Raiders take him that high? At 2? I do see him going in the first round but not to the Bills.
Every year we seemingly have this discussion and every year some dumb team overdrafts a QB in the first round. Yes, I absolutely think an organization like the Jags are that dumb. Raiders may not under McKenzie now but we'll see. Gabbert went at 10!

Draxal

I think their new coach, from Syracuse, will want to pick up the QB coming out of Syracuse in the 2nd round.

Nassib's good, but I think I'd go in a different direction. And he has also played against Geno Smith in 4 consecutive years (3 in division, last year in bowl game).

I seriously don't think there's any way the Lions don't sit atop the NFC North this year. What fucking incredible pickups in FA. Reggie is gonna tear shit up...

"It's a running back's dream," Bush, 28, told the media Wednesday, after signing a four-year free-agent deal to be the latest cog in the Lions' yardage machine. "It's the first thing we talked about when we watched the film and saw those safeties deep and those safeties rolling over, double-covering Calvin Johnson. It's a running back's dream."

Fuck off GB

Put your money where your mouth is... If the lions don't win the NFCN, you are never allowed to post here again.

Godslay

Banned
Were you around when the Jest fans were all aflutter about him when they already had Revis and Cro? It's a big name, gotta make a splash!

I was just giving him a jab about Seattle being the only contender in the NFC West. I remember the Nnamdi thing though. That was back in BSBFB days.

effzee

Why wouldn't SF take a chance on Nnamdi. Thanks to the Eagles paying him $4 million this year, they can low ball him and sign him on a 1 year contract for very little. Give him a chance to prove himself as part of a good defense instead of all the pressure of being the superstar on a very bad D as was the case in Philly.

Why would the Bills care to trade up? Geno will most likely be there for their own pick.

I'd love for them to trade down if they can pick another 2nd round pick but I don't see anyone interesting enough for teams to move all the way up to 4.

I think the Bills and Cards are the 2 teams most likely to take him. I dont think the Bills will wait until the 2nd round for the QB from Syracuse. I think the Eagles made such a big showing at Geno's pro day to try and get teams worried so they will trade up and take him. I am sure they will play the Bills and Cards off each other, as long as the Raiders dont do something crazy and mess things up.

Godslay

Banned
No I mean based on his age he might not last or play a lot more. You have to maximize your chances to win a SB right now. You guys are right there knocking on the door.

Sure. Elway is banking on him playing out his contract. Barring injury, or early retirement, I think he'll play it out.

Colasante

I don't think the Jaguars or Raiders will take Geno Smith that early. The new GMs of both teams seem much smarter than their predecessors, and both teams also have defensive-minded head coaches. Both teams also happen to have atrocious rosters with a lot of holes, so I think both teams will likely take the best defensive player available, maybe take a QB later, but likely wait until next year when the QB class is much improved and they're still likely picking in the top 5.

Cardinals and Bills I can absolutely see making the idiotic decision of taking Geno Smith in the top 10.

He doesn't make it past the Bills. It's obvious Nix is scrambling to do something at QB. Especially now that Fitz is gone. The only question is whether the Eagles, Raiders or Jags beat him to Smith.

I don't think the Eagles have much if any intention to draft him but I could be wrong. Raiders or Bills seems to be the most likely...

There's zero chance of the Raiders drafting Smith.

MechDX

Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter
Cincinnati free-agent LB Dan Skuta, a good special teams player, is visiting San Francisco.

Already looking at special teams players? Indictment of the talent in this years free agency class?

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Only trade up I could potentially see is the Bills swapping #8 with The Browns at #6 to draft Geno.

Even then I really doubt it.

But definitely one of Arizona or Buffalo will take him with their first round pick.

Colasante

Yeah, because the Raiders have never done anything stupid in the draft.

Reggie McKenzie comes from the Packers front office. Aside from taking Brian Brohm in the 2nd, they didn't often make terrible draft decisions there. Al Davis is gone, and the Raiders have to slowly rebuild their team. Taking Geno at 3 would set them back once again. I don't think there's a zero percent chance but I think it's unlikely.

linkboy

Already looking at special teams players? Indictment of the talent in this years free agency class?

He, if signed, would replace Blake Constanzo (who was a huge mistake for the 49ers to let go).

If the 49ers still had Constanzo for the Super Bowl, Jones probably doesn't run that kick back.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
We can't be drafting him. Not at 4.

But then again apparently Lurie attended the private workout on Monday along with the GM and coach.

Getting a bad feeling about this.

Excellent. Excellent.

If the Eagles or Raiders waste their draft pick on this guy and leave another talented guy available at 5 I'll be ecstatic.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage

Fuck off GB

What is this lunacy?

squicken

I don't know how to feel.

On one hand its Ed Reed! On the other hand its Ed Reed!

LZ said it best. It's like Barkley coming to the Rockets. It doesn't make them better. It's just a name. Say no

It also makes the Texans look sad. Sending a private jet for a guy who no one will pay 3m a year to?

Put your money where your mouth is... If the lions don't win the NFCN, you are never allowed to post here again.

That escalated quickly. You must really despise me to go from that post to an account ban bet. Who the fuck are you, anyway. I barely post in here or NeoGAF in general. Suck my hairy lion dick.

MechDX

LZ said it best. It's like Barkley coming to the Rockets. It doesn't make them better. It's just a name. Say no

It also makes the Texans look sad. Sending a private jet for a guy who no one will pay 3m a year to?

Someone will pay him the 5-6 million a year. I have ZERO doubts of that.

Like I said before I am ok with it if they sign another FA or draft a safety to be his understudy this year.

Colasante

Interesting news: Amendola signed with the Patriots on Tuesday. NE did not react to Denver, they made choice when Welker went to market

So the Patriots really did choose Amendola over Welker, definitively. I'm very surprised they managed to keep the signing a secret for a whole day too.

squicken

Tom E. Curran ‏@tomecurran
Interesting news: Amendola signed with the Patriots on Tuesday. NE did not react to Denver, they made choice when Welker went to market

With Amendola ready to sign and Welker seeking 8 to 9 million and making visits, Pats moved on Amendola rather than drag feet and lose out.

Colasante

And Sean Smith signs with the Chiefs. Tampering bastards. Hopefully this is the thing that finally sets the market for CBs, so they can start getting signed elsewhere.

With Amendola ready to sign and Welker seeking 8 to 9 million and making visits, Pats moved on Amendola rather than drag feet and lose out.

lol wow.The Patriots are ruthless.

3 year deal for Sean Smith. So the Chiefs have Dunta Robinson, Brandon Flowers and Sean Smith. Dunta I've never been a fan of but not a bad stable of corners.

You seem pretty sure of the Lions rise.

Very sure. Reggie is gonna go off for around 1800 total yards. He's a dynamic talent with plenty of life left in those legs despite being 28. Got a new safety in Quin, a new DL in Jason Jones, and resigned Chris Houston. Only maybe Seattle had as good of an off-season as this team simply because Percy Harvin is unstoppable.

squicken

Someone will pay him the 5-6 million a year. I have ZERO doubts of that.

Like I said before I am ok with it if they sign another FA or draft a safety to be his understudy this year.

In 2 years Ed Reed will be lining up 40 yards from the line of scrimmage and not wearing shoulder pads. It's dumb move. Reeks of Turnip Truck McNair

Top Bottom