• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread 2013 - Here comes the wait

RBH

The Elvis Dumervil drama is about to reach its conclusion.

The three-time Pro Bowl defensive end either will take a pay cut with the Denver Broncos or be gone. It's as simple as that. We'll have a resolution by 4 p.m. ET on Friday, when Dumervil's $12 million 2013 salary is set to become fully guaranteed.

"It's not all about dollars. But when it's way out of whack? Then it's so out of whack that you've got to say: That (salary) can't be it," Broncos VP John Elway told The Denver Post on Thursday. "Especially when you look at the market and what's out there now. It's so far out of whack. Hopefully, he realizes that."

Recent deals signed by Cliff Avril ($7.5 million annually) and Michael Bennett ($5 million annually) certainly back Elway, who's still riding high off his coup d'état of "The Tom & Wes Variety Hour."

"These are the deals that wrench your gut," Elway said of possibly having to cut Dumervil. "As an ex-player, I hate to see that. I hated to see that happen to a teammate. And I hate having to do it, in the position I'm in. But I've got to do what's best for this football team."

Now pride comes into play. Dumervil's agent sees a market that's not being kind to pass rushers. Dumervil's best bet might be to slash his salary on stay on board in Denver. But can he live with that?
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap10...n-elway-elvis-dumervils-contract-out-of-whack

Wes

venison crêpe
yBBKln3.jpg

evilhomer

Wow, I did not realize the Seahawks carried over almost $14m in extra cap room this year, and have spent up to it. Harvin's cap increase next year plus that puts them ~$24m over for 2014.

They really are pushing for this year hard.

There are quite a few contracts that may be either cut or restructured and you're not including expiring deals, Bennett is just a one year deal, and any natural rise in the salary cap. It really shouldn't be that big of an issue being under the cap next year.

edit: It would be nice if they could come up with some room to maintain a bit of cap roll-over though, but at this point it probably wouldn't be more than a couple million.

bionic77

Fuck that horsefaced motherfucker Elway.
Contracts in the NFL are a joke. If he signed a bad deal they would expect him to honor the terms of his contract. At the same time most players know the last two years of their deals are back ended to make a show and don't mean shit.

I would love him in the Burgh but we barely have enough money to keep the lights on, let alone splurge on a big name pass rusher.

Dear Browns-GAF that actually live in or around Cleveland:

All I ever hear is how terrible each beat reporter is. As I live outside of Cleveland these are my only portals into Believeland so please let me know if I'm missing someone on twitter that I should follow. I currently only follow:

Tony Grossi - who over time I am finding a bit grating with how he acts as a know-it-all.
Mary Kay Cabot - who doesn't really report anything just retweets what ESPN guys say.
Will Burge - Is great during press conferences but otherwise seems to be drunk or talking about girls all the time.

Anyone else that I need?
Only Portal you need is the OBR forums ;)......but really best site with up to date news and twitter postings I've found.
I don't even follow anyone on twitter

Talon

Contracts in the NFL are a joke. If he signed a bad deal they would expect him to honor the terms of his contract. At the same time most players know the last two years of their deals are back ended to make a show and don't mean shit.

I would love him in the Burgh but we barely have enough money to keep the lights on, let alone splurge on a big name pass rusher.
I'm looking forward to GEICO Field.

What happened to the Steelers? They might not sign FAs very often but they would usually lock up their own guys. Players are leaving now and they are not even making them offers.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
I didn't realize people were so passionate about MGS! The games did nothing for me back in the PS2/GCN/Xbox era. I purchased the second one about when it came out and I had a hard time getting into it. Later on after I had really enjoyed the Splinter Cell series (I really hate what they've done to that game), whenever I'd give MGS a shot, I kept expecting it to be played like Splinter Cell.

Now that Splinter Cell is a distant memory, MGS makes a lot more sense to me. Unlike SC, the gameplay is faster and it's not the end of the world getting into a firefight (tranquilizers to the face for everyone!). I'm also enjoying the story (despite the convoluted Philosophy 101 parts in MGS2 that would only be fascinating to college freshman desperately trying to form an understanding of "themselves" or whatever).

Sorry Bucket but listening to philosophy once you're over 25:

wrKSOSF.gif

Looking forward to Peacewalker and MGS4!

I loved MGS 1, I finished 2 but didnt really like it, and I never finished 3. I played through 4 a few times. The gameplay in 4 was really well done. Sneaking around a battlefield with the camo was fun. The story though has delved into a level of tedium and stupidity that I would have never felt possible. I tried the demo for MGR but I couldnt stand it. The using the right stick to cut felt so inaccurate and clumsy that it might as well have been a Kinect game.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
I loved MGS 1, I finished 2 but didnt really like it, and I never finished 3. I played through 4 a few times. The gameplay in 4 was really well done. Sneaking around a battlefield with the camo was fun. The story though has delved into a level of tedium and stupidity that I would have never felt possible. I tried the demo for MGR but I couldnt stand it. The using the right stick to cut felt so inaccurate and clumsy that it might as well have been a Kinect game.

Even though I've played every game in the series, I still don't really know what's going on in Kingdom Hearts....and that's even after reading the summaries in Dream Drop!

MGS isn't so bad through the first three games anyway.

MechDX

Lot of people on Twitter saying Dre and Reed were at a club in Houston last night and he announced he was signing with the Texans.

We're getting fleeced.....

Walter football updated their mock on 3/12.

http://walterfootball.com/draft2013.php

Their Giants 5 round mock:

1. Bjoern Werner, DE, Florida State
2. Khaseem Greene, LB, Rutgers
3. Travis Frederick, G/C, Wisconsin
4. Kiko Alonso, ILB, Oregon
5. Kenny Stills, WR, Oklahoma

Two linebackers? One in the second. I don't know about that. My guess is the Giants may go offensive line in the second, tight end in the third (word is Pope has his high on one of the later round TE's in this draft) and then address linebacker later on (the Alonso pick would make sense there). Hurry up, draft!

Wes

venison crêpe
All the mocks are going to be out of date at the moment. I'd check them again on Tuesday when the FA buzz has simmered down.

For instance a lot of them haven't considered the fact the Lions need a LT now.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member

Two linebackers? One in the second. I don't know about that. My guess is the Giants may go offensive line in the second, tight end in the third (word is Pope has his high on one of the later round TE's in this draft) and then address linebacker later on (the Alonso pick would make sense there). Hurry up, draft!

In that mock, I didn't mind Green Bay picking Tyler Eifert that TE from Notre Dame but I hate these mocks with running backs. If we're not drafting a running back in the first (and we're not), why would we want more 2nd and 3rd round quality? DuJuan Harris and Alex Green are already at that level of ability!

MechDX

The Texans were gawd dam Dale'ed!!!

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap10...tbull-delay-an-ed-reedhouston-texans-contract

Could Pitbull have caused a delay in Ed Reed's inauguration in Houston?

The Houston Chronicle's John McClain told "NFL AM" on Friday morning that the Texans and Reed cut short their highly publicized meeting Thursday so they could get out of dodge before a crowd of 75,217 fans of the pop star cascaded upon Reliant Stadium pinning them in.

The second-largest crowd in Houston Rodeo history might have postponed Reed signing, but McClain said he expects the veteran safety to sign with the Texans on Friday.

Tha fuck!!? Where is Godslay with that dumbass gif?

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle

Wow has the Browns taking Tyler Bray in the 3rd round.

Draxal

I love Greene (favorite player at Rutgers), but he doesn't make sense with the Giants. Giants have too many holes, and WLB is the one the Giants are rather set with Paysinger/Williams.

I think the Giants are linked to the tight end from Michigan State.

I wanted to like it since I love action games so much, but I couldnt get into it no matter how much I tried.

wienke I have never played a KH game so I cnat talk about the story in them, but those are more fantasy stories so I dont think people hold them to the same standards. MGS is like taking all the bad elements of soap operas, and then trying to make some comment on the military industrial complex on top of it.

Dragon

Banned
I wanted to like it since I love action games so much, but I couldnt get into it no matter how much I tried.

wienke I have never played a KH game so I cnat talk about the story in them, but those are more fantasy stories so I dont think people hold them to the same standards. MGS is like taking all the bad elements of soap operas, and then trying to make some comment on the military industrial complex on top of it.

My first MGS experience was 4 and I had to read that stupid database app in order to figure out what the hell was going on. To be fair the gameplay is pretty damn good and fun, it's everything else that's gotten fucked as time has gone on. Like seriously the scenes with Meryl and Johnny are some of the fucking worst in video game history. It's right up there with all your base are belong to us.

I love Greene (favorite player at Rutgers), but he doesn't make sense with the Giants. Giants have too many holes, and WLB is the one the Giants are rather set with Paysinger/Williams.

I think the Giants are linked to the tight end from Michigan State.
The Werner pick works but I'd want Fluker instead if he was still on the board. He has the versatility the Giants want and we address a big hole on the right side of the line. That's what *I* want but you know where I am with the team if there's a DE available there they want.

Wes

venison crêpe
Wow has the Browns taking Tyler Bray in the 3rd round.

I'd like us to go CB in the 1st, FS in the 3rd, QB in the 4th.

In an ideal world we'll trade down with the Bills so they can leapfrog Arizona to get a QB meaning we get an extra draft pick and can still get Milliner.

bionic77

What happened to the Steelers? They might not sign FAs very often but they would usually lock up their own guys. Players are leaving now and they are not even making them offers.
Nothing changed. We have always let free agents go. If they want you they sign you before you become a FA.

The only thing that has changed is that we have not been drafting effectively to replace them. We have been spoiled and usually when the big names left we already had their replacement ready to step in. But missed in the draft and some big names underperforming (namely Troy and Woodley) have left us in a bad spot.

No matter how smart your GM is if you don't draft well you are going to fall apart eventually.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
I'd like us to go CB in the 1st, FS in the 3rd, QB in the 4th.

In an ideal world we'll trade down with the Bills so they can leapfrog Arizona to get a QB meaning we get an extra draft pick and can still get Milliner.

You mean trade that extra pick to acquire ryan mallett...:(

Draxal

The Werner pick works but I'd want Fluker instead if he was still on the board. He has the versatility the Giants want and we address a big hole on the right side of the line. That's what *I* want but you know where I am with the team if there's a DE available there they want.

Honestly, I think the trends have a changed a little bit, our OL is rather weak overall asides from Beatty (and we don't have any studs on the line ... and like the Steelers Eli is getting up there), and it wouldn't suprise me to see him buck the trends again. It wouldn't suprise me if they fall in love with a cb as well.

I honestly think either Warmack or Cooper will be there. Nobody thought DeCastro would drop to where the Steelers drafted him last year and Boylhart says he will be there. And I would prefer Warmack over Fluker, but the versatility thing hurts him so much.

I did three 2 round mocks earlier which I think would be interesting if you tried as well. I did them by personal preference, with the trend, trend defying but not what you personally want.

Personally.
1. Warmack
2. Minter

Trend
1. Werner
2. Wreh-Wilson

Defying
1. Eifert
2. Pugh - Syracuse

Dragon

Banned
Not sure if this has been posted:

Under the proposed rule change, a quarterback who loses control of the football when bringing it back to his body after a pump fake will be deemed to have fumbled. Under the current rule, such a play would result in an incompletion.

Among the other proposed rule changes is a modification to illegal challenges by coaches. The competition committee is looking to do away with a rule that prevents challenges if a coach illegally throws his red flag on a play that was to be automatically reviewed.

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-england-patriots/post/_/id/4740985/tuck-rule-could-be-changed

I'm sure Rorschach is happy about the news.

Honestly, I think the trends have a changed a little bit, our OL is rather weak overall asides from Beatty (and we don't have any studs on the line ... and like the Steelers Eli is getting up there), and it wouldn't suprise me to see him buck the trends again. It wouldn't suprise me if they fall in love with a cb as well.

I honestly think either Warmack or Cooper will be there. Nobody thought DeCastro would drop to where the Steelers drafted him last year and Boylhart says he will be there. And I would prefer Warmack over Fluker, but the versatility thing hurts him so much.

I did three 2 round mocks earlier which I think would be interesting if you tried as well. I did them by personal preference, with the trend, trend defying but not what you personally want.

Personally.
1. Warmack
2. Minter

Trend
1. Werner
2. Wreh-Wilson

Defying
1. Eifert
2. Greene
I think you're underestimating Boothe a little bit. He's not a "stud" but he's developed into a pretty strong guard for us. There's been little activity with him right now, but if he departs it could change the draft strategy quite a bit.

I still have massive doubt that Warmack makes it out of the top 10. I know the versatility issue hurts him but I couldn't care less. If he's there, you have to take him.

Draxal

I think you're underestimating Boothe a little bit. He's not a "stud" but he's developed into a pretty strong guard for us. There's been little activity with him right now, but if he departs it could change the draft strategy quite a bit.

I still have massive doubt that Warmack makes it out of the top 10. I know the versatility issue hurts him but I couldn't care less. If he's there, you have to take him.

I'm not underestimating Boothe, I just think he's gone. And I don't know, I could see Warmack dropping further past 19. I mean there's no way Iupati/DeCastro should have gone as low as they did in their respective drafts.

Draxal

http://corner.bigblueinteractive.com/index.php?mode=2&thread=467292

Boylhart on the Giant's first pick. And yeah, I definitely agree there's a chance that he won't be there (the Cowboys will most likely take him if he falls that much). But at least there's somebody saying that he might drop to us ... and further past us.

Of course, last but not least you guys could be drafting the very best player in the whole entire draft...Chance Warmack.

He will be available for the Giants to pick if they want him. I wouldn’t select him personally until the 2nd round but others think differently.

He like Fluker and Barrett Jones over Warmack.

Too up against the cap from constant restructuring. And they restructured three more again this year. They have signed a bunch of their own guys, just the cheap ones. Aside from the amazing FA pickups of Gay and Gradkowski, they signed Plax, Foote, Ramon Foster, Dwyer, their long snapper, and also offered tenders to Redman, McClendon, and Sanders.

Harrison had to restructure or go because of his age and his price tag. He chose leaving. Wallace was never going to get that money from the Steelers, no WR ever does, so he was a foregone conclusion. Mendenhall punched his ticket out of town when he went awol during the season. Might turn out to be the wrong the move, we shall see. The Lewis non-offer is the real head scratcher out of those.

So far, the only moves I really approve of are the signings of Plax and Foster and not forking over big bucks to Wallace. Gradkowski's not a bad backup QB signing I guess. And Mclendon and Sanders will be good to have back if and when they sign their tenders.

Akbar Gbajabiamila ‏@Akbar_Gbaja

Update: The @49ers are n serious discussion w/Asomugha and Charles Woodson. Reuniting these 2 in the 2ndary is a major upgrade. #FreeAgency

Niners about to reunite Nnamdi with Charles Woodson? Raider Nation gonna hate...

Top Bottom