• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread 2013 - Here comes the wait

When you're paying five running backs 5 million each how can you be a player in free agency?

Exactly. The city has pretty much given up on the team. One of the biggest diehard Panthers fan I know is extremely pessimistic about the team.

Think about this: it's been years and years and they still haven't paired Steve Smith with a legitimate WR2. Not once. All of these WRs are available and the Panthers have just been sitting around. The team is destined for mediocrity.

BigAT

I bet his agent "accidentally" fucked up because theres a better deal out there.

Why would he bother to go through the charade of it all? If that was truly the case, Dumervil could have just refused to take a pay cut and he would have been released still. There's no point.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Why would he bother to go through the charade of it all? If that was truly the case, Dumervil could have just refused to take a pay cut and he would have been released still. There's no point.

Because he wanted to stay on the Broncos even if it meant less money?

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Well to be fair, pro football teams in the south (outside of Texas and maybe Florida) was never a fantastic idea to begin with. They'll always play second fiddle to the college teams. Atlanta sort of gets away with it on account of being a massive city.

So they were late signing Elvis. I bet they are all shook up in Denver. Must be some suspicious minds about tampering. I have a burning love for the guy, wouldn't mind him in NE. I bet Elvis is lonesome tonight.

Pass rush is always on my mind, currently our pash rush is in the ghetttoooooo.

Well to be fair, pro football teams in the south (outside of Texas and maybe Florida) was never a fantastic idea to begin with. They'll always play second fiddle to the college teams. Atlanta sort of gets away with it on account of being a massive city.

Charlotte's a booming city. It isn't enormous, but it's one of the fastest growing areas in the country. The fact of the matter is that people really don't give a shit about sports here. I would much rather go to a Duke or UNC game over the Bobcats, even if the Bobcats were competitive. I just get the feeling that people really don't give a shit either way about football here. A lot of people would much, much rather go to a race.

Dragon

Banned
Exactly. The city has pretty much given up on the team. One of the biggest diehard Panthers fan I know is extremely pessimistic about the team.

Think about this: it's been years and years and they still haven't paired Steve Smith with a legitimate WR2. Not once. All of these WRs are available and the Panthers have just been sitting around. The team is destined for mediocrity.

I mean it's not easy to be able to afford those types of players. LaFell isn't complete trash. They've made some horrible picks like Armanti Edwards though. Basically it comes down to good decisions and they simply haven't made any. But Richardson is a jackass and supposedly doesn't want his kids to take over for him when he dies. So who knows.

Charlotte's a booming city. It isn't enormous, but it's one of the fastest growing areas in the country. The fact of the matter is that people really don't give a shit about sports here. I would much rather go to a Duke or UNC game over the Bobcats, even if the Bobcats were competitive. I just get the feeling that people really don't give a shit either way about football here. A lot of people would much, much rather go to a race.

Yeah living in Charlotte for the past five years, I'd have to say there's a lack of identity. It's certainly growing but tons of people are transplants and end up being Steelers and Patriots and Browns fans even. When you go out in Charlotte for Duke UNC it's completely different though. It's a college town through and through. And Charlotte's uptown area is way too small. I lived there and there are more bars in two blocks in NYC near me than there are in all of that area. It's unfortunate.

I mean it's not easy to be able to afford those types of players. LaFell isn't complete trash. They've made some horrible picks like Armanti Edwards though. Basically it comes down to good decisions and they simply haven't made any. But Richardson is a jackass and supposedly doesn't want his kids to take over for him when he dies. So who knows.

It's the same thing year after year. How many years has Brandon LaFell supposed to round the corner and become a legit WR2? It's been years now and that hasn't happened. I dislike Cam Newton, but people are crazy if they think he's sticking around. The Panthers have the same problems the Bobcats have--they both suck at drafting and no big free agent wants to come here. And ownership of both teams is shit. So there you go. And people wonder why these teams suck.

Godslay

Banned
Isn't the problem that Denver actually released him at 3:59 PM - so how does insurance cover this?

Because his agent is responsible. Deal was made between Denver and Doom, agent breached agreement by not sending the paperwork. Denver had to cut him, or was on the hook for 12 rather than 8.

Tamanon

Banned

From living nearby, it seems the Panthers have much more support outside of Charlotte. Bobcats.....not so much. Always easy to get tickets as long as they're not playing the Heat.

I would bet that Dumervil or agent thought they could slip one past the Broncos to keep him on the previous contract for more money and plead negligence/ignorance

Kacar

My brother lives in Charlotte. And he is a gigantic NASCAR fan, That was originally why he moved on with his career there and got a job, being so close to the hall of fame and everything.

GashPrex

NeoGaf-Gold™ Member
Because his agent is responsible. Deal was made between Denver and Doom, agent breached agreement by not sending the paperwork. Denver had to cut him, or was on the hook for 12 rather than 8.

Unless they have some fun policy language not in regular insurance coverage, I don't think he gets added back to Denver's roster through insurance coverage.

My opinion is that he would sign with whoever (Denver or otherwise) and seek damages against his agent if he really did fuck it up for the difference between what he would have earned and what he is earning.

Dragon

Banned
My brother lives in Charlotte. And he is a gigantic NASCAR fan, That was originally why he moved on with his career there and got a job, being so close to the hall of fame and everything.

Birthplace of NASCAR. Charlotte's great for someone with a family. It's relatively inexpensive compared to the Northeast. I still own property there. Let's put it in perspective though, the number one tourist attraction in the area is a fucking mall.

Godslay

Banned
Unless they have some fun policy language not in regular insurance coverage, I don't think he gets added back to Denver's roster through insurance coverage.

My opinion is that he would sign with whoever (Denver or otherwise) and seek damages against his agent if he really did fuck it up for the difference between what he would have earned and what he is earning.

Wouldn't fix deadcap space. If it can be reversed then everything is fine. Otherwise doom is not coming back to Denver without taking significantly less.

Yeah living in Charlotte for the past five years, I'd have to say there's a lack of identity. It's certainly growing but tons of people are transplants and end up being Steelers and Patriots and Browns fans even. When you go out in Charlotte for Duke UNC it's completely different though. It's a college town through and through. And Charlotte's uptown area is way too small. I lived there and there are more bars in two blocks in NYC near me than there are in all of that area. It's unfortunate.

I live near Charlotte, but I hate going there. It's one of the lamest cities I've been to. I would never live there and I'm desperately trying to move.

Kacar

Birthplace of NASCAR. Charlotte's great for someone with a family. It's relatively inexpensive compared to the Northeast. I still own property there. Let's put it in perspective though, the number one tourist attraction in the area is a fucking mall.

Yea my cousin and his family does also. With the FedEx's and the Lowe's head quaters there it's pretty booming from what i hear from them. I mean not like New York booming, but just a great place to live.

jakncoke

Banned
Hey smart people this pleb needs your help. So my employers state id number is like this **-****** but then there is a space and another digit. But when i try to hit space on the form it wont let me so do i just add the other digit or not add it at all?

GashPrex

NeoGaf-Gold™ Member
Wouldn't fix deadcap space. If it can be reversed then everything is fine. Otherwise doom is not coming back to Denver without taking significantly less.

Well that's my point - he could come back at 4 million and sue the agent for the other 4 million and the insurance company might defend and pay out. Probably not the best option for Dumervil.

Maybe I'm completely misunderstanding "insurance" in this context, but I've never heard of insurance that undoes affirmative acts, aka the release Dumervil by the Broncos. It can reimburse for certain acts, but I've never heard of automatic "undoing."

My problem in this context is that its not simply that the contract got faxed over late and could later be enforced, its that the Broncos released him.

Wes

venison crêpe
Matt Miller ‏@nfldraftscout
Text I just received from NFL executive: "The Broncos just pulled the most Raider move ever."

:jnc

AJ Hawk took a paycut:

Mike Garafolo @MikeGarafolo

Packers' AJ Hawk took a pay cut today. I'm told it's not a huge one. Don't have specifics.

It was actually a redo on the last three years of his deal.

With Gibson gone, the Vikings looking like they are going to sign Jennings it's almost seemingly like the most likely suitor for Cruz if some team is going to put in an offer sheet is the Rams...

Godslay

Banned
Well that's my point - he could come back at 4 million and sue the agent for the other 4 million and the insurance company might defend and pay out. Probably not the best option for Dumervil.

Maybe I'm completely misunderstanding "insurance" in this context, but I've never heard of insurance that undoes affirmative acts, aka the release Dumervil by the Broncos. It can reimburse for certain acts, but I've never heard of automatic "undoing."

My problem in this context is that its not simply that the contract got faxed over late and could later be enforced, its that the Broncos released him.

Have to wait for details I guess.

squicken

Matt Miller ‏@nfldraftscout
Text I just received from NFL executive: "The Broncos just pulled the most Raider move ever."

:jnc

That guy is a hack. He'll start confirming stories others break. He'll always source whoever broke it, but it's clear he knows no one and just reads Twitter

Top Bottom