• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread 2013 - Here comes the wait

effzee

I am not sure if either of the top 2 OTs will be available for KC if they trade down to 7, 8, 9, or 10 with a team looking for Geno.

Detroit and Philly would take Joeckel and Fisher off the board if they are available.

squicken

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap10...lkers-representatives-respond-to-robert-kraft

"We do, however, feel the need to clarify some of the confusion surrounding these negotiations. Specifically, both sides are clear that the Patriots made one offer to Wes Welker since the prior negotiations ended in July 2012. Both sides also agree that this two-year offer came just hours before the start of free agency despite discussions that began at the NFL Combine. Moreover, this lone offer was presented as a "take it or leave it offer." When we asked if there was room for structural changes, we were told no. We made a counter-offer for the same term and same maximum dollar amount as their offer and it was rejected. We inquired if any of the offer's components were negotiable and were told no. This refusal to actually negotiate made it easy to reject the Patriots offer. Nevertheless, when we received the Denver Broncos' offer, Wes personally talked to Mr. Kraft to give the Patriots the opportunity to match it. The Patriots rejected this opportunity and Wes signed with the Denver Broncos.

"Despite Mr. Kraft's impression to the contrary, the Patriots representatives who participated in these phone calls never indicated that the team "would have even gone up" on their offer, or that these discussions occurred "before we thought we were going into free agency." Instead, the Patriots made it abundantly clear that their one offer was non-negotiable. Athletes First has no issue with this approach and casts no blame on either side for a deal not being consummated. However, we believe it is important that the negotiations are accurately portrayed in the media.

"Mr. Kraft is an exceptional NFL owner with a track record of not only fielding championship teams, but also helping make the National Football League the tremendous league that it is today. It is a league that absolutely sparks passion amongst its fan base and that passion was evident yesterday from the lifelong Patriots fan Mr. Kraft. Once the frustrations settle down, however, we hope both sides will focus not upon what went wrong, but instead everything Wes did right on-and-off the field during his time with the Patriots. That Wes deserves a lengthy standing ovation when he returns to Foxboro Stadium with the Denver Broncos is one conclusion upon which both sides can readily agree."

smh Kraft just keeps lying.

Talon

Haha, oh man, I didn't know Sherman accused Roddy of being a "product of his system." What a stupid thing to say. Man had his first big year with Joey Harrington/Byron Leftwich/Chris Redman throwing to him after the Vick crisis.

"[White's] strengths are in their system, within their system," the cornerback said. "His strengths aren't his own.

"Julio Jones' strengths are his own. Julio Jones is a dynamic playmaker. It doesn't matter what scheme he's playing in, he's going to play well. If he's out wide, if he's in the slot, he's going to present problems. Roddy can present problems for certain people, but he's a product."

OK, Richard, then how do you explain White's 47-yard touchdown reception in the third quarter of last month's playoff game? The one that came with you in coverage?

"During that game, for example, the play where he caught the touchdown, the touchdown wasn't really on me, to tell the truth," Sherman said. "But I'm not going to throw a teammate under the bus, because I'm not that kind of player. If that's what you guys want to say, I'll take it."
Clown. Shoes.

I think we both know Joey Harrington was the one who really put Roddy's career in motion. To want to be the best, you gave to see the best. And Roddy took that to heart

And you know how I know it's march? Because its snowing

bionic77

Haha, oh man, I didn't know Sherman accused Roddy of being a "product of his system." What a stupid thing to say. Man had his first big year with Joey Harrington/Byron Leftwich/Chris Redman throwing to him after the Vick crisis.

Clown. Shoes.
Thats the drugs talking.

Sherman is good people. He made Tom Brady cry after a loss. Never forget that. That one good act will outweigh everything else bad that follows.

effzee

Some word from the Boomer and Carton show this morning that the Revis deal, if there is one to be made, will be done by tonight. Supposedly the deal was being ironed out during the owners meetings and the front runners are still the Bucs.

Lets see if this actually happens. I think it won't happen now but rather closer to the draft. If the Jets can get a 1st round pick plus more picks in later rounds they have to do this deal. Then draft Manti and Geno!

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
There ain't no chance in hell the Jets are getting a 1st for Revis.

1 year left on his deal, can't be franchise tagged, coming off an ACL injury. I would be thrilled to see it happen but I don't think theres a team in the league willing to give up a first.

Some word from the Boomer and Carton show this morning that the Revis deal, if there is one to be made, will be done by tonight. Supposedly the deal was being ironed out during the owners meetings and the front runners are still the Bucs.

Lets see if this actually happens. I think it won't happen now but rather closer to the draft. If the Jets can get a 1st round pick plus more picks in later rounds they have to do this deal. Then draft Manti and Geno!

I would be very happy with the Jets, or any team, trading up to 4 and taking Geno.

There ain't no chance in hell the Jets are getting a 1st for Revis.

1 year left on his deal, can't be franchise tagged, coming off an ACL injury. I would be thrilled to see it happen but I don't think theres a team in the league willing to give up a first.

Seems like they are having a hard time trading him to begin with.

Wes

venison crêpe
BFsmFd0CQAA5ww_.jpg:large

The new logo?

There's this too.

Slo

Gotta believe Welker about the negotiations, but whatever. Sounds like both sides got what they wanted in the end.

bionic77

Don't think so there. Glad the cancerous Welker signed elsewhere.
Its going to be hilarious when the Pats offense regresses this year without Welker there to keep bailing them out with first down after first down.

And it will be even better seeing how much better Welker is going to make Peyton look!

bionic77

But but but bionic will it be hilarious when the Steelers go 7-9?
Might still be good enough to win the division.

The league is trending towards suckiness. Someone has to be the first the first 7-9 Superbowl Champion. Just like we were the first 6 seed champ, the first team to win 4 Superbowls and the team with the most Superbowls, it only makes sense for us to field the worst SB champ of all time.

Its going to be hilarious when the Pats offense regresses this year without Welker there to keep bailing them out with first down after first down.

And it will be even better seeing how much better Welker is going to make Peyton look!

Have fun rebuilding and getting dick slapped by the Browns.

Dragon

Banned
Now now, there's nothing wrong with the Pats and Steelers sucking at the same time, guys.

Actually, you guys have a lot in common. Both teams lost their best receiver this offseason, for one.

Doubt the Pats suck, but it will certainly be a different team and they'll have to have Hernandez and Gronk healthy which is no sure thing!

Here's the latest on the Revis saga:

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/jets/bucs_stop_SrTMQB95gWW07Qv94WrRUN

“It’s amazing,” a league source said. “The Jets are going to screw this up.”

Initially, the holdup was thought to be the Buccaneers’ unwillingness to give up their first-round pick in this year’s NFL Draft (No. 13) overall as part of a package for Revis. But the Tampa Bay Times reported last night the Bucs have not ruled out shipping the pick to the Jets.

“The thing I’d say is I feel really good about the success we’ve had drafting players,” Dominick said. “At the same point, I’m not going to sit there and be bull-headed and not think, ‘what’s the best thing for the team going forward?’ That’s the only way you can build it right.’’

Tampa Bay has money to spend and is desperate to fix its secondary, which was atrocious last year. The Buccaneers already have signed free agent safety Dashon Goldson and are still well under the salary cap. If they trade for Revis, they will want to sign him to a long-term extension. Revis is looking for $14-16 million per year, but reports have indicated the financial component is not a problem for Tampa Bay.

Jets general manager John Idzik has said little about the situation, but he faces a difficult challenge regarding what to do with Revis. The Jets clearly are in rebuilding mode, and Idzik must get a strong package of picks for Revis, the team’s best player. The problem is, Revis is coming off knee surgery and he is seeking a large contract. Those factors have made the market for Revis shallow.

So the Bucs are willing to give up the 13th pick and pay Revis 14-16 million - what are the Jets waiting for here?

Doubt the Pats suck, but it will certainly be a different team and they'll have to have Hernandez and Gronk healthy which is no sure thing!
To be honest I don't really know what to expect from the Pats. The team will be so different from last year's. One thing I will say is that Belichick has consistently shown that he can keep the Pats competitive, so I still expect them to win the division and make the playoffs at the least.

Sanjuro

I rather have Welker than not. I'm just not going to pretend to be Skip Bayless like some of the GAFers are.

effzee

I just keep getting the feeling that Chip is going to draft Geno. His stock is rising but I hope if they do select him, he pans out. So many other areas where there are more sure picks. You take Geno and you are possibly passing up a franchise LT/RT or potential studs at DT and LB.

If only he was projected to go in the 2nd round. Would have no issue taking him outside of the first round.

squicken

I rather have Welker than not. I'm just not going to pretend to be Skip Bayless like some of the GAFers are.

I'd feel alot more strongly about it than that. Gronk, Hernandez, and especially Amendola have histories of getting hurt. Welker is always there. It's remarkable how durable he has been. Maybe you get lucky and catch a good run of health. But you could also catch a stretch of games where they are all banged up. Pats' pride and dogmatic approach to their valuations got the best of them on this.

Sanjuro

I'd feel alot more strongly about it than that. Gronk, Hernandez, and especially Amendola have histories of getting hurt. Welker is always there. It's remarkable how durable he has been. Maybe you get lucky and catch a good run of health. But you could also catch a stretch of games where they are all banged up. Pats' pride and dogmatic approach to their valuations got the best of them on this.

You aren't telling me anything new. That sentiment has been active for over a decade now.

Top Bottom