• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread 2013 - Here comes the wait

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
Doubt the Pats suck, but it will certainly be a different team and they'll have to have Hernandez and Gronk healthy which is no sure thing!

Let's be honest. The Pats are a middle of the road team that gets to beat up on teams in the worst division in football.

bionic77

Let's be honest. The Pats are a middle of the road team that gets to beat up on teams in the worst division in football.
They are a good regular season team, but they don't have another gear for the postseason.

They probably wasted at least 1-2 more Superbowls they could have had if they really went for it instead of cheaping out every year with their drafts and free agents. I won't complain though, I love seeing them fail. This year will be no different when Bellicheat dresses 7 guys he met at a tailgate party and starts them on defense.

Dragon

Banned

The AFC East isn't the worst division in football. Hell the AFC West is much worse, especially as the Chargers get worse. And middle of the road teams don't score 557 points in a season, regardless of the competition. I'd even argue the NFC South as a turd of a division last year as well.

squicken

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet
Mike Tomlin on the read option: "We look forward to stopping it. It's the flavor of the month and we look forward to eliminating it."

Flavor of the month

So the AFC East is worse than the AFC West now?

New England: 12-4
Miami: 7-9
NY Jets: 6-10
Buffalo: 6-10

Denver: 13-3
San Diego: 7-9
Oakland: 4 -12
Kansas City: 2-14

And honestly I think the Dolphins are a much better team than the Chargers.

Sanjuro

The AFC East isn't the worst division in football. Hell the AFC West is much worse, especially as the Chargers get worse. And middle of the road teams don't score 557 points in a season, regardless of the competition. I'd even argue the NFC South as a turd of a division last year as well.

It's a piss poor argument by people that don't watch games. Like bionic said, they just don't have that gear for the postseason currently. That being said, they are fully capable of getting to a Super Bowl in that gear. Most teams in the league right now have their own issues on pushing forward. The simple fact is you can't rely solely on offense. Without defensive conversions, you have nothing when it matters.

Dragon

Banned
It's a piss poor argument by people that don't watch games. Like bionic said, they just don't have that gear for the postseason currently. That being said, they are fully capable of getting to a Super Bowl in that gear. Most teams in the league right now have their own issues on pushing forward. The simple fact is you can't rely solely on offense. Without defensive conversions, you have nothing when it matters.

Funny thing though was that the defense really didn't fail them in the playoffs when they lost those two Super Bowls to the Giants. But yeah, Pats are at least trying to improve their defense and I'm happy Talib is back on even if Dennard is still up in the air.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet
Mike Tomlin on the read option: "We look forward to stopping it. It's the flavor of the month and we look forward to eliminating it."

Flavor of the month
Too bad the Steelers don't play any read option teams this year. :(
I'm talking about the last 10 years. Sure, the Jets bubbled up for a bit, but all of the teams in that division, other than NE, are in a permanent state of dysfunction. No plan, no leadership, no nothing. Maybe Miami will begin to turn it around, but they're years away, at best.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
Bart Hubbuch ‏@HubbuchNYP
Rex indicates Tebow will be on the team at least into minicamp. Wow.

Free Tebow!

Rex is going to keep Tebow on the roster late into training camp to make sure that no other team can get him and turn him into a competent qb. Doing the devil's work, that man.

I'm talking about the last 10 years. Sure, the Jets bubbled up for a bit, but all of the teams in that division, other than NE, are in a permanent state of dysfunction. No plan, no leadership, no nothing. Maybe Miami will begin to turn it around, but they're years away, at best.
Acting like the Pats have only been good relative to their division over the past decade is just silly. Since 2003 the Pats are 33-7 against NFC teams in the regular season (with 3 of those losses coming from last year alone).

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
Acting like the Pats have only been good relative to their division over the past decade is just silly. Since 2003 the Pats are 33-7 against NFC teams in the regular season (with 3 of those losses coming from last year alone).

Why are you interrupting my trolling? You should be joining me!

Sanjuro

Funny thing though was that the defense really didn't fail them in the playoffs when they lost those two Super Bowls to the Giants. But yeah, Pats are at least trying to improve their defense and I'm happy Talib is back on even if Dennard is still up in the air.

I wouldn't consider one interception knocking it out of the park.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
That avatar is weird

Sorry. You're going to have to deal with Kendall Williams until UNM is out of the tourney.
So four more days. :(

t0rn.gif

I'd feel alot more strongly about it than that. Gronk, Hernandez, and especially Amendola have histories of getting hurt. Welker is always there. It's remarkable how durable he has been. Maybe you get lucky and catch a good run of health. But you could also catch a stretch of games where they are all banged up. Pats' pride and dogmatic approach to their valuations got the best of them on this.

Had Welker torn his ACL at the start of the season instead of the end, people would call him injury proof as well.

Gronk has had 2 unlucky freak injuries that kept him from playing in the NFL.

Let's see how this season goes first.

Dragon

Banned
I wouldn't consider one interception knocking it out of the park.

We define quality at the cornerback position through interceptions alone? Arrington should not be an outside corner which means they need two solid corners. Talib is better than what they had.

squicken

What is going on here? I almost dont want to know

Les Miles is awesome. I wish he'd coach in the NFL. Could win 16 games accidentally

Had Welker torn his ACL at the start of the season instead of the end, people would call him injury proof as well.

I've heard this argument before, but it doesn't make sense to me. "Amendola broke his elbow in Week 1, Welker tore his knee up in Week 17. Flip that and it's a whole other conversation".

Of course it is. Danny couldn't make it through one game, while Welker made it through 17 weeks before getting eaten by the Reliant Field Turf Monster. Welker is the far more durable player. Danny is bound to have another season of relatively good health. But I think Welker is the outlier here. Most little guys can't stay healthy in football

Sanjuro

We define quality at the cornerback position through interceptions alone? Arrington should not be an outside corner which means they need two solid corners. Talib is better than what they had.

Not alone, no. Manning also went 30/40 in the last Super Bowl.

bionic77

Gronk has had 2 unlucky freak injuries that kept him from playing in the NFL.

Let's see how this season goes first.
Stop quoting Barnwell.

That fat fuck also predicted that the Niners would be horrible last season and they went to the Superbowl. Everyone on Grantland seems to spend all of their time sucking the dicks of LeBron and the Pats.

bionic77

HoFinley for Gronk.
Moving to Wisconsin would really test Gronk's sexual promiscuity (thats a fancy way of calling him a whore slut). He is used to good looking young girls that are not picky about STDs. It would be interesting to see if he could keep it going when taking on girls that outweigh him.

But other than that experiment that would be the worst trade ever. I love the idea of HOFinley going to the Pats but am not sold on the idea of Gronk going to the Packers.

brentech

Moving to Wisconsin would really test Gronk's sexual promiscuity (thats a fancy way of calling him a whore slut). He is used to good looking young girls that are not picky about STDs. It would be interesting to see if he could keep it going when taking on girls that outweigh him.

But other than that experiment that would be the worst trade ever. I love the idea of HOFinley going to the Pats but am not sold on the idea of Gronk going to the Packers.

Beli would definitely have a more likely chance of putting Finley in his place.

Stop quoting Barnwell.

That fat fuck also predicted that the Niners would be horrible last season and they went to the Superbowl. Everyone on Grantland seems to spend all of their time sucking the dicks of LeBron and the Pats.

I don't even know who Barnwell is and as a Pats fan, I don't even read Grantland, why would you?

He has an injury history dude. Time to transcend your denial.

NO HE'S NOT! HE'S CARVED OUT OF STONE! YOU CAN'T BREAK STONE!

Gronks gonna get traded confirmed

If they trade Gronk, I'm joining BrownsGAF! DAWG POUND! BARK BARK!

bionic77

Beli would definitely have a more likely chance of putting Finley in his place.
That probably won't happen until it is too late.

Usually a player has to be kicked off a few teams before it gets in their brain that they are fucking it all up. By that time usually no wants them anymore.

brentech

I don't even know who Barnwell is and as a Pats fan, I don't even read Grantland, why would you?

NO HE'S NOT! HE'S CARVED OUT OF STONE! YOU CAN'T BREAK STONE!

If they trade Gronk, I'm joining BrownsGAF! DAWG POUND! BARK BARK!
So he's made out of shale?
Never played with rocks as a kid did you?

bionic77

You pretty much quoted him with your comparison of Welker and Gronk and their durability.

It is possible that Barnwell stole that from someone else (possibly even you). I wouldn't put it above him.

As for why I read it, I honestly never paid attention to the site until the Niner blowup. Now I do skim Barnwell because it is funny. Simmons is fun to read if he is not discussing the Pats, LeBron or Kobe so there is that. But otherwise I never go there and I only get to Simmons stuff through ESPN.

Top Bottom