• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread 2013 - Here comes the wait

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
63+Drunk+Cat.jpg

Okay what the fuck?

Why do you perverts have so many damn pictures of me?

squicken

Senior Bowl ‏@seniorbowl
@seniorbowl attended Manning Passing Academy and the two QB's generating the most talk there were Geno Smith and Mike Glennon/NCSU.

Phil Savage, former Brown's GM. Was saying earlier that KC will sell the #1 pick on th e cheap as long as they can get one of the top OTs. So if someone loves Geno (CLE, BUFF, NYJ) they can move up and get him

Senior Bowl ‏@seniorbowl
@seniorbowl attended Manning Passing Academy and the two QB's generating the most talk there were Geno Smith and Mike Glennon/NCSU.

Phil Savage, former Brown's GM. Was saying earlier that KC will sell the #1 pick on th e cheap as long as they can get one of the top OTs. So if someone loves Geno (CLE, BUFF, NYJ) they can move up and get him
I'm starting to think we may see a jets trade up for Geno, but I don't want Rex to ruin anymore Qbs

cajunator

Banned
Cause you have the body of a 12 girl girl

What does that have to do with enjoying the beach? I would enjoy it more as a fat old man?
Its too hot, seawater feels gross, and there are too many sand fleas and hornets and shit. I am not a fan of it.
The only part I enjoy is crabbing off the beach.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
You come to Houston and we get the worst pollen I have ever seen. Everything has a puke yellow coating like a Packers helmet.

I love how the $20 car wash business is huge in Texas despite this.

Is all the pollen from these whatever type of tall skinny trees everywhere? What kind are they? I've been wondering for a while....

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Pine trees.

These are not just pine trees.

....or I guess they are. Weird.

In Wisconsin, pine tree was another name for common fir trees and other cold weather evergreens.

Did some digging and these are apparently Loblolly Pines. Huh.

Hopefully Favre dies first.

Yeah going out of his way to sell Jennings on the idea of the Vikings was a bit of a dick move. I think Favre is still bitter if anything. It was always about his ego so why would that change in retirement?

cajunator

Banned
These are not just pine trees.

....or I guess they are. Weird.

In Wisconsin, pine tree was another name for common fir trees and other cold weather evergreens.

Did some digging and these are apparently Loblolly Pines. Huh.

Southern pine trees are a vastly different type than the northern ones.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Southern pine trees are a vastly different type than the northern ones.

Yeah only thing I can think is God help us if a hurricane hits. These things are super skinny but a hundred feet tall.

Never saw anything like these in the Ozarks. Just stunted versions of the big evergreens you see up north.

cajunator

Banned
Yeah only thing I can think is God help us if a hurricane hits. These things are super skinny but a hundred feet tall.

Never saw anything like these in the Ozarks. Just stunted versions of the big evergreens you see up north.

Yes. Falling pine trees are a huge part of the damage caused by hurricanes in the south.
Pines snap like twigs in high winds and they are pretty tall things so they make a fucking mess when they go down.

LevelNth

Banned
The two biggest factors in the compensatory selection are new contract size (ie. salary) and then playing time.

To use the Niners as an example, Goldson signed one of the larger new contracts so far. If he plays and starts all or most of the 16 game year, we will get a 3rd round pick for sure. If he were to get injured or not play at all, we would get basically nothing, as we theoretically didn't lose anything to have to be 'compensated' for.

The whole process then gets trickier when you have signed FA's cancelling out the guys you lost.

cajunator

Banned
The two biggest factors in the compensatory selection are new contract size (ie. salary) and then playing time.

To use the Niners as an example, Goldson signed one of the larger new contracts so far. If he plays and starts all or most of the 16 game year, we will get a 3rd round pick for sure. If he were to get injured or not play at all, we would get basically nothing, as we theoretically didn't lose anything to have to be 'compensated' for.

The whole process then gets trickier when you have signed FA's cancelling out the guys you lost.

Well like I said before the Saints usually have some FA acquisitions planned in case they lose a key free agent, so I'm guessing thats why we dont get many compensation picks. Like when we lost Bush we gained Darren Sproles almost immediately and he fit into the exact same role and pretty much had as much success if not even more. We lost Nicks and signed Grubbs, although that wasnt as visible because the whole Oline was shit last year from injuries and draft picks not panning out. We didn't really lose anyone of note this year except Bushrod and he's garbage so he will just fail in Chicago and give us nothing in return. I guess the front office is too competent overall and is too active in free agency to where the NFL feels they don't require any extra picks. not to mention we give away picks like candy in various ways to begin with.

squicken

Was watching Path to the Draft. They brought up that CLE would be a natural trade partner for MIA to move up with and get their LT. Might cost them the 77th pick to do it, though

Jim has always rubbed me the wrong way.

I think he always bristled at the notion that Polian and Peyton were responsible for the dynasty they had. His tweet last year telling fans to buy their own team was also stupid. I think in general though, he does what an owner should, which is sign the checks and stay out of the way

I also thought firing Polian, Caldwell, and cutting Peyton were the appropriate cold blooded moves. As dumb as Grigson is acting with free agency, he still landed a lot more draft picks than Polian had been.

Nnamdi is just stringing the Saints along to raise his value.
the odds of landing a contract with them are miniscule.

he's trying to play us off each other. what he doesn't realize is the niners (for better or worse) don't negotiate. GM and cap guy put a number on a player and don't go over the number no matter what. it's why we don't get many big name FA's and wait for the initial period to be over to clean up the scraps.

on one hand this is good for our spending and cap and so on, but on the other hand i feel like we miss out on FA's who could have really helped us. oh well

cajunator

Banned
he's trying to play us off each other. what he doesn't realize is the niners (for better or worse) don't negotiate. GM and cap guy put a number on a player and don't go over the number no matter what. it's why we don't get many big name FA's and wait for the initial period to be over to clean up the scraps.

on one hand this is good for our spending and cap and so on, but on the other hand i feel like we miss out on FA's who could have really helped us. oh well

We need all the fucking help we can get on defense so I wouldn't be surprised.
I'm really happy with the Keenan Lewis signing though because after losing Porter and with Jabari Greer being older and injury prone it was a serious need. NNamdi would be icing on the cake. although I think we need another safety or linebacker much more. Ben Watson was the sort of signing I expected too, since we had to upgrade at TE after Jimmy Graham.

cajunator

Banned
Nnamdi is shit cajun. Don't you bounty cheating who dats ruin my dream Dahl/Scrabble/Woodson secondary

Did you see our secondary last year? Seriously I thought Jason David was out there again.
Nnamdi would be a huge step up even if he was hobbling on one leg. Hell I would take back 80 year old mike McKenzie again. It would still be better than what we put on the field last year.

Top Bottom