• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread 2013 - Here comes the wait

squicken

That's the spirit. And lol at people still blaming flacco as if every team won't be crippled by high QB salaries with this new cba and non increasing cap

People are upset with Flacco because he seems to be all about the money. There were a bunch of reports that the Ravens offered him $16m before the year started and he turned it down. If their was no cap at all I dont think people would care about him getting every penny he can, but since there is a cap they did lose players due to paying him.

J2 Cool

How good is Urlacher still? Hell he said he would play for the Bears for 3.5 million a year.

I think he's still pretty good, worth 3.5 million. Wouldn't be surprised to see one or two really good years from him on the right team. He's not that far removed from being a top player, just a tough year last year coming off an injury and getting dinged up at the end.

cajunator

Banned
It is pretty awesome living in a big city as a young person.

So many girls and things to do. But obviously expensive.

Lower stress in the boonies but also less shit to do.

If you have the cash I would suggest living in the city when you are single and in a more rural or suburban environment once you have kids.

FMT hope you are not laid off today dude! And WTF @ BLarry being white...

Ok when you guys talk about "stuff to do" what are you referring to?
I like hiking in mountains, going to Smithsonian, aquariums, music festivals, going to different kinds of restaurants to try new cuisines. that sort of thing. Aside from the obvious lack of mountains and large museums here, Im pretty well covered just in and around Louisiana. dont see a need to go to a large city to experience a lot of the things I already enjoy at a much cheaper cost.

You know what's funnier? They think Bushrod is a solution at LT! Even our shitty DE play is enough!

Yeah I got a pretty good laugh at them signing him. Except I have no idea who is going to replace them on the Saints either. I guess we could get a dude off the street for cheap who might do a better job.

xnipx

People are upset with Flacco because he seems to be all about the money. There were a bunch of reports that the Ravens offered him $16m before the year started and he turned it down. If their was no cap at all I dont think people would care about him getting every penny he can, but since there is a cap they did lose players due to paying him.

Do you think Aaron Rodgers cares if clay Matthews gets cut because he needs to be the highest paid QB in the league??

xnipx

The big difference is, Aaron Rodgers is arguably the best QB in the league. Joe Flacco doesn't come in top 5.

And what is Matt Ryan? You don't think he will get similar numbers? It's not about how good you are. It's about how much you are worth to a bottom barrel team with money to spend.

You don't think the dolphins or browns would have thrown 125 million at flacco or Matt Ryan if they had the chance?

And what 5 qbs are better than flacco over his career?

Dragon

Banned
And what is Matt Ryan? You don't think he will get similar numbers? It's not about how good you are. It's about how much you are worth to a bottom barrel team with money to spend.

You don't think the dolphins or browns would have thrown 125 million at flacco or Matt Ryan if they had the chance?

Wait is that last question arguing about active QBs or all time because it's vague. Either way Flacco isn't in the top five. Losing Boldin won't help either.

xnipx

Wait is that last question arguing about active QBs or all time because it's vague. Either way Flacco isn't in the top five. Losing Boldin won't help either.

He said top 5 so I'm assuming he was referring to active. I want to see 5 qbs more deserving of a max contract since flacco had entered the league with better results than what he has produced.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
He said top 5 so I'm assuming he was referring to active. I want to see 5 qbs more deserving of a max contract since flacco had entered the league with better results than what he has produced.

Aaron Rodgers
Tom Brady
Drew Brees
The Rapist
Eli Manning
Peyton Manning

edit: And since Flacco has joined?

Kurt Warner
Brent

Matt Ryan is a shitty QB who doesn't deserve the money either? Did I ever say one positive thing about him on here? No. If his team wants to overpay him too, fine. But I don't want my team to do it. They did, it's done, whatever. Fact is, according to Joe Flacco, he thinks he's the best QB in the league, and therefore should be the highest paid. He's not the best QB in the league. He just gets money like he is.

Sure! Let them be dumb.

As Dragon pointed out, this is terribly flawed, but I'll go active QBs who are better than him "over his career".

Drew Brees
Tom Brady
Peyton Manning
Aaron Rodgers
Eli Manning

Bonus: Ben Roethlisberger is better too, "over his career".

Edit: The fact that Weinke put out the same exact list, shows that it's true.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
You crazy. Dude is an incredible injury risk, insane to pay him so much.

If he hit the market this offseason like Flacco did, he'd make more and Flacco would actually make a bit less.

Id take Flacco over Brady Eli and Ben right now. And Peyton has 1 good year left.

The question was about a max contract though, Peyton is essentially making that right now.

I think you'd be crazy to take Flacco over Eli, either statistically or looking over their careers.

I would take Ben over Flacco based on completion percentages alone. If Pittsburgh didn't have a line that Chicago can make fun of, Ben is the better choice.

Was harSon even injured after T-Rich trucked him to hell and back?

I always assumed Larry was a mild-mannered black man for some reason, with a voice pitch not exactly like Mike Tyson's but close to it. Strange, the truth.

Lol at taking Flacco over Brady

Brady's arm strength has taken quite the hit, it seems. Flacco can bomb it downfield at will, so it's not an unreasonable assertion.

Dragon

Banned
Who is more deserving of a max contract going forward the next 5-6 years. Based on their accomplishments.

Eli Manning has won two Super Bowls with two largely mediocre teams. So he shares a lot in common with Flacco in that way. He also had postseasons which were way beyond his regular season prowess.

Like who?

I think you're confusing why teams pay max contracts. A smart GM does it for what he's getting going forward. Obviously the Ravens had to sign Flacco because they just won a SB, the PR disaster would be huge otherwise. But saying based on accomplishments and then going forward are two different things.

Who is more deserving of a max contract going forward the next 5-6 years. Based on their accomplishments.

Then Rodgers is the only one who is deserving of that kind of contract right now. In a few years guys like Luck, RGIII, and Wilson will be more deserving then Flacco though.

Id take Flacco over Brady Eli and Ben right now.

inV75lFCuyxyk.gif

I'd take all three over Flacco today. Even with Ben's injury history and Brady's diminished arm.

As mentioned though, Eli and Flacco actually have a lot in common in terms of their career trajectories. I've made the comment before that the Ravens had to decide if Flacco was their franchise guy or not. Apparently, they did but in three years they'll revisit that view once his cap hit pushed upwards of 20 million.

effzee

Luck
Wilson
RGIII

But you're missing the point....Joe Flacco doesn't deserve a max contract at all.

Yeah he does. I don't get how or why you and other Ravens fans are so negative about him. His biggest problems seems to be consistency but for two post seasons in a row he has played great. Not just great but out played HOF QBs and made incredible plays to keep his team alive. It wasn't you D carrying you this time around.

I think what Ozzie, Harbs, and the organization as a whole are doing is smart. You have a young guy who can only get better, already has a SB under his belt, and they let walk some players who while fan favorites are no longer what they used to be. You still have the draft and pieces on offense. Personally I think the future is bright in Baltimore. And if Flacco flops or falls flat on his face going forward ITS ONLY A NFL CONTRACT! You guys will figure out a way to make him restructure, trade him, or outright release him.

Yeah he does. I don't get how or why you and other Ravens fans are so negative about him. His biggest problems seems to be consistency but for two post seasons in a row he has played great. Not just great but out played HOF QBs and made incredible plays to keep his team alive. It wasn't you D carrying you this time around.

It's not just consistency. When Joe Flacco is good, he's just that, good. He's never been great, except for these playoffs, which were a four game run. If he had a four game run of exceptional play in the middle of the season, book ended by standard Joe Flacco good and bad, it wouldn't matter. Look at the Michael Vick contract; how come he got so paid by the Eagles? Because of a short run of excellence. How did that work for you?

Greg

I don't think I even finished the demo of the original Bioshock. The atmosphere of the game seemed great, but the look completely turned me off (PS3) and I never got around to playing it.

effzee

It's not just consistency. When Joe Flacco is good, he's just that, good. He's never been great, except for these playoffs, which were a four game run. If he had a four game run of exceptional play in the middle of the season, book ended by standard Joe Flacco good and bad, it wouldn't matter. Look at the Michael Vick contract; how come he got so paid by the Eagles? Because of a short run of excellence. How did that work for you?

First of all Flacco> Vick in every which way.

And our contract to Vick didn't hinder us from going on a crazy spending spree in 2011. We were one of the teams with most cap space last off season and again this season. Contracts in the NFL are not what they are in other leagues. If for whatever reason 2-3 years down the road the Flacco led Ravens need to rebuild, you can still trade him while he is in his prime, and take his salary off the books. And if your worry is that he is the highest paid well then he won't be for long (Rodgers) and he will never ever see the full amount of the contract anyway.

As long as the contract is written to help the cap and the cap itself is managed well in addition to great drafts you won't be in trouble. And to that you have Ozzie. He smartly didn't over pay to keep Reed. Ray Lewis gone from the books. Kruger, might be a good player, but was paid a lot money which you guys didn't have to spend.

Who cares if his regular season stats don't match up with the poster boys of the NFL? As long as he can perform better in the post season that is all that should matter. And it wasn't just this post season. He out played Brady last year as well.

xnipx

Then Rodgers is the only one who is deserving of that kind of contract right now. In a few years guys like Luck, RGIII, and Wilson will be more deserving then Flacco though.

More deserving? They will have won a Super Bowl and lead their teams deep in the playoffs every year?

JABEE

Top 5

1. Aaron Rodgers
2. Drew Brees
3. Peyton Manning
4. Tom Brady
5. Robert Griffin III

Honorable Mention:
Ben Roethlisberger, Eli Manning

I'd go with all of these players over Flacco. Flacco would be around 8, but I could see Russell Wilson and Andrew Luck passing him in the near future. It's just a matter of time. The only reason they aren't ahead of him now is Flacco's playoff success and Super Bowl win.

I don't think I even finished the demo of the original Bioshock. The atmosphere of the game seemed great, but the look completely turned me off (PS3) and I never got around to playing it.
Never finished the demo either, didn't play Bioshock 1 or 2 but Infinite looks reall interesting to me. To bad I have no system to play it on right now

xnipx

Top 5

1. Aaron Rodgers
2. Drew Brees
3. Peyton Manning
4. Tom Brady
5. Robert Griffin III

Honorable Mention:
Ben Roethlisberger, Eli Manning

I'd go with all of these players over Flacco. Flacco would be around 8, but I could see Russell Wilson and Andrew Luck passing him in the near future. It's just a matter of time. The only reason they aren't ahead of him now is Flacco's playoff success and Super Bowl win.

They will be better based on what body of work?? And you would pay Peyton and Brady 120 million over the next 6 years??

More deserving? They will have won a Super Bowl and lead their teams deep in the playoffs every year?

Flacco was a terrible 4th and 29 play away from missing the playoffs. I agree that he was great in the playoffs last season, but he is average at best in the regular season. I wouldnt give that much money to a guy that you cant count on in the regular season. Him being great in the playoffs doesnt do you any good if you are sitting home watching them.

Top Bottom