• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread 2013 - Here comes the wait

eznark

Banned
Look at the QB landscape in college football and the backups around the league.

With Lewis and Reed coming off the books I'd pay Flacco. Plus, NFL contracts are all 1 year deals with a renewable option. There isn't a ton of risk there in keeping the guy happy.

Look at the QB landscape in college football and the backups around the league.

With Lewis and Reed coming off the books I'd pay Flacco. Plus, NFL contracts are all 1 year deals with a renewable option. There isn't a ton of risk there in keeping the guy happy.

I know we're going to sign him, and I'm fine with it, but I'll quote myself, since it got end of paged:

Ravens Free Agents:

Ed Reed
Dannell Ellerbe
Maake Kemoeatu
Paul Kruger
Carey Williams
Bryant McKinnie

Matt Birk and Ray Lewis retiring.

All of them starters.

RFAs that matter: Dennis Pitta, Ed Dickson, and Arthur Jones.

Going to be real hard to fill those holes.

Oh well, SUPERBOWL CHAMPIONS!!!!

AndresON777

shooting blanks
Panthers/Broncos Super Bowl 48, you heard it here first!
scamcar.jpg

Godslay

Banned
Started new job this morning! So far so good. My office has a view of a parking lot, but can't complain too much.

Trey

I'm scared for the ravens.

Salary cap is going to a bitch this year for us.

Boldin is replaceable, but finding a guy to fill in for Lewis and Reed will be impossible to do in just 1 season.

The fuck is this last sentence? Boldin was integral for that offense and Flacco's moonball, especially in the playoffs. You have to understand that big possession receivers don't exactly grow on trees. Boldin is a match up nightmare the majority of the time.

squicken

http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/nfl/42452/59/team-needs--and--roster-rankings?pg=1

Team needs and roster rankings. Ignore the roster ranking, anything stand out as wrong? Seems dead-on for Colts and Rams

Biggest needs for both imo

COLTS

"OL: Right tackle and both guard positions could use offseason upgrades after the Colts overcame the AFC's worst line play to win 11 games. Despite elite pocket awareness and mobility, Andrew Luck absorbed 41 sacks -- the NFL's fourth highest total. New playcaller Pep Hamilton is a smash-mouth offensive mind, so look for Indianapolis to pursue maulers in the running game. "

RAMS

OL: St. Louis fielded the most rag-tag offensive line in football last season and remains desperate for reliable, effective blockers. There isn't a position on the front five that couldn't use an upgrade. Only right guard Harvey Dahl and left tackle Rodger Saffold can be considered quality starters, and the latter is entering a contract year. Pricey center Scott Wells' right knee may be shot.

linkboy

The fuck is this last sentence? Boldin was integral for that offense and Flacco's moonball, especially in the playoffs. You have to understand that big possession receivers don't exactly grow on trees. Boldin is a match up nightmare the majority of the time.

Exactly, just ask Donte Whitner.

Although seeing Boldin in a 49ers uniform would look nice.

eznark

Banned
http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/nfl/42452/59/team-needs--and--roster-rankings?pg=1

Team needs and roster rankings. Ignore the roster ranking, anything stand out as wrong? Seems dead-on for Colts and Rams

Butchered the Packers.

He completely ignores the great play of Don Barclay which is bizarre. I think the Packers will try and move Bulaga to LT and let Sherrod and Barclay compete for the RT. Point is, they have talent at the tackle position.

Nobody needs to improve their backup QB. That's fucktarded and should be grounds for firing from a place like Rotoworld.

The Packers safeties are definitely an issue depending on what Woodson does, however front 7 is a much, much bigger concern. Competed defensive linemen and linebackers who have some idea how to play football would be fantastic. Matthews and Hawk are fine, but that's it.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Rodgers is grossly underpaid. What, $9.5 million/year? All credit to him for not crowing about it at all.

He'll get a smaller version of the Favre "lifetime" contract because Rodgers is nearly 30. Hell they might give him the 10 year deal anyway instead of 7 or 8.

They'll likely also make him aware of the other players due big contracts and they'll discuss team needs with him as well as his salary. I'm sure Rodgers is keenly aware that the number of commercials and sponsorship deals he gets is directly linked to his team's performance.

Not singing Jennings to an absurd contract is what is going to make it all work anyway.

jbug617

Banned
But is he worth it?I'd rather they try and get someone who is younger and cheaper.

Unless they can get Reed for cheap.

Belichick and Reed are very friendly. I would think Reed would be in the Harrison role and be the QB in the secondary.

Pats have a decent cap space but they have to sign Welker, Vollmer and I assume they will look at Talib.

bionic77

Buttfumble really is the perfect GIF and summarizes this entire season.

Hopefully next year we get back to good teams and good football.

Sorry Fox. I did not include you in either of those! Fuck the Jets!

ver6pLY.jpg

Well this is all I can do, not as good as I want it to look, but it capture the essence.

Bionic, this will be your avatar till the start of Pre-season, have fun!

bionic77

Steelers are so fucking fucked.
In todays NFL that is a pretty good recipe to win the Superbowl.

We got the sucking hairy ass part down pat. We just have to find a way to suck ass AND make the playoffs. That and some deer antler spray. We are way behind in the PED game and need to get up to speed!

squicken

Butchered the Packers.

He completely ignores the great play of Don Barclay which is bizarre. I think the Packers will try and move Bulaga to LT and let Sherrod and Barclay compete for the RT. Point is, they have talent at the tackle position.

Nobody needs to improve their backup QB. That's fucktarded and should be grounds for firing from a place like Rotoworld.

The Packers safeties are definitely an issue depending on what Woodson does, however front 7 is a much, much bigger concern. Competed defensive linemen and linebackers who have some idea how to play football would be fantastic. Matthews and Hawk are fine, but that's it.

Thought the backup QB things was sort of glib, too. Like "so good I have to make stuff up" kind of thing. Good draft for DL help

eznark

Banned
19. Indianapolis Colts

OL: Right tackle and both guard positions could use offseason upgrades after the Colts overcame the AFC's worst line play to win 11 games. Despite elite pocket awareness and mobility, Andrew Luck absorbed 41 sacks -- the NFL's fourth highest total. New playcaller Pep Hamilton is a smash-mouth offensive mind, so look for Indianapolis to pursue maulers in the running game.

CB: GM Ryan Grigson's trade for Vontae Davis paid dividends down the stretch, but the Colts were sorely lacking at slot and left corner. Jerraud Powers was benched for Darius Butler, and both of them are offseason free agents. Grigson is a lock to address cornerback in April's draft.

LB: The Colts go three deep at inside linebacker with Pat Angerer behind Jerrell Freeman and Kavell Conner, but outside linebacker is a different story. While Robert Mathis can still get after the quarterback, he's 32 and battled back injuries in 2012. Dwight Freeney is a free agent, and Jerry Hughes is a mediocre situational player. Indianapolis needs a new franchise pass rusher.

DE: Ends in Chuck Pagano's 3-4 scheme are supposed to be immovable gap pluggers. 32-year-old Cory Redding struggled to duplicate his Baltimore success last season, and Ricardo Mathews would be a wave player on a good defense. The Colts have been gashed by the run for far too long. Grigson should target five-technique defensive ends in the draft's early to middle rounds.

Thought the backup QB things was sort of glib, too. Like "so good I have to make stuff up" kind of thing. Good draft for DL help

The Packers have real needs, claiming they need a RB who is more than a role-player and a back-up QB is just idiotic. Needing a safety is a misdiagnosis of their issues and how to fix them. The Packers need a big body at end and some speed opposite Matthews.

ari

Banned
Beyonce really didn't help her self from escaping that Illuminati rumor yesterday. Flashing the roc o fella diamond six times for a split second or so makes no fucking sense. No matter how much you love your husband, that sign makes no sense in your act at the superbowl.

Another year of the Romo/Garrett shitshow? Can't wait.

Outside of seeing how Chip does in the pros I am really looking forward to see what happens with the Cowboys. I really think this is the last season of Garrett and Romo and I think it is going to blow up in crazy fashion.

squicken

Beyonce really didn't help her self from escaping that Illuminati rumor yesterday. Flashing the roc o fella diamond six times for a split second or so makes no fucking sense. No matter how much you love your husband, that sign makes no sense in your act at the superbowl.

I had no idea that Beyonce and Jay Z were rumored to be in the Illuminati

Trey

Exactly, just ask Donte Whitner.

Although seeing Boldin in a 49ers uniform would look nice.

He's a liability, no doubt. Whitner never had coverage skill, and he got lit up last night.

Boldin would make any team instantly better. I don't think I could say the same for Ed Reed.

Yes thankfully. I dont want to be insular but it was awful reading a lot of the shit that got posted last night.

Don't ya'll drive people that actually know football out of this thread?

jakncoke

Banned
We have so many needs and unless we work some more cap magic, dont have the money to even begin looking at them. Why cant we just have the best draft ever and draft 10 hall of famers

Not sure if this was discussed a few days ago but Greg Jennings apparently made an appearance on The Finsiders and had some interesting comments:

Jennings joined The Finsiders, the Dolphins’ team-owned radio/web TV show, on Friday at the Super Bowl media center. He looked right at the camera and had a message for Philbin:

“Joe, how you doing. Remember me?” he said with a smile.

Jennings, who turns 30 in September, said he realizes it may be time to move on from Green Bay.

“I’ve prepared my family for change,” he said. “Wherever I end up, if it’s outside of Green Bay, we’re ready to be great wherever we go

Jennings said he and Philbin developed “a great relationship” during their time together in Green Bay, and he caught 46 touchdowns in Philbin’s five years.

“He’s one of my favorite coaches,” Jennings said. “Obviously he jokes a lot, little subtle things here and there, but he’s a great coach to have. He was a great coach to play for. He’s one of those guys that you can have a relationship outside of football. As a player you admire a coach when he actually opens himself up like that.”
Jennings, Cordarrelle Patterson, and Brian Hartline would be a pretty nice WR trio if I do say so myself. Don't let me down, Ireland!

squicken

btw did you guys find it odd that CBS didn't show much of anything that went on it that fight? It was like the NFL told them to not show that stuff, or they didn't want to alienate the expanded viewership with the gory details

Any other game and we get 20 replays of what was going on in that brawl

Don't ya'll drive people that actually know football out of this thread?

I have no idea what you are talking about. The only person that we have lost that knew football was LJ and that was due to a bet. The best thing about this thread is the guys like squicken who really know what they are talking about. I cant imagine anyone trying to drive them off.

Bowser

Panthers needs look right to me. I would add S, but I don't think we'd use a first rounder on one. I could see us using our first rounder on either O-line, DT or WR. Don't think we'll spend a first on a CB though. Good pass rush can mask subpar CBs.

You think they'll resign Hartline if they sign Jennings?
I hope so, he'd probably be great in the slot or as a no. 2 guy with someone like Jennings getting the most attention from the D. It's not like they have any depth at WR either so it wouldn't make sense to let Hartline go even with Bess still on the team. If they do go for Jennings I definitely don't think they'll draft a WR with their first pick though, so the Cordarrelle idea is kind of wishful thinking. Honestly they should probably pick up a CB in the first round anyway.

Narag

I have no idea what you are talking about. The only person that we have lost that knew football was LJ and that was due to a bet. The best thing about this thread is the guys like squicken who really know what they are talking about. I cant imagine anyone trying to drive them off.

Yeah, I've never seen that. Only those that talk out of their ass get roundly denounced.

Man it still hurts.

We can't blame the refs for this game. There were some bad calls but that happens in every game. We can't keep getting in these huge holes, especially against good teams. I'm worried that these last two years were the best years for us to win the super bowl.

I'm worried that we have been planned out, both offensively and defensively. Kap is going to have to evolve next year. He needs to manage the play clock and the count much better. We burned two second half time outs which killed us. Just badly managed. I'm also worried even more about our offensive playcalling. Roman can draw up some great plans and we can adjust at the half but there are times where we go three and out and I'm just at a loss for words at how badly all three plays were.

I've always believed we've had a suspect secondary, hell we've had a suspect secondary since I was like 5, and my worries came true last night. We weren't physical enough back there and it showed. The defense showed up in the second half mostly but it wasn't enough.

Kap played pretty good for the most part but his inexperience showed. Some great plays and runs but a terrible pick and bad managing. Gore broke free late on and was looking great, receivers looked pretty good, but it wasn't enough.

I hope we get healthy and come back next year, the nfc west is gonna be tough, but I hope that we evolve this offseason have a good draft, get healthy, and avenge this lose.

Enjoy this Ravens-gaf, for me its baseball time!!!

Top Bottom