• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread 2015 |OT| All of our teams suck!

Colasante

I've been saying that all year. He still looks really bad when it happens, and his upside is relatively marginal. I'm just stating that his value is a bit high when looking at his paystub going into the 2015 campaign. I doubt he gets something like that again from the Patriots.

Tackles cost money. That's how it is. When they drafted Nate Solder, they knew he'd be the future of the left tackle position. After a dominant postseason and Super Bowl win, why would they let him walk and trust Brady's last years to a rookie? That makes zero sense.

Yeah, not a fan of the 7 million cap hit from Solder but I was thinking it was 10 million...he probably does stay around then (at least one more year).

Again, tackles cost money, especially on the left side. There is no way the Patriots can find a tackle at #32 with Solder's size, smarts, athletic ability, and upside, period. There just isn't. He was only available to them because they had the #17 pick in 2011, and even then they were lucky because the Cowboys had been debating between Tyron Smith and Solder at #9. You don't treat the left tackle position like you do the running back position, swapping out players when they reach the end of their rookie contract. Belichick has never done that and won't start now. He drafted Solder a year early because he knew Light would retire and Solder needed a year to develop. That's not going to happen again.

Respect

Yeah, not a fan of the 7 million cap hit from Solder but I was thinking it was 10 million...he probably does stay around then (at least one more year).

Duxxy3

He is fine. My point is he isn't being signed to that kind of deal again. Pats will lowball him, someone else will probably pay a bit more because he was a Patriot.

No chance he will get close to that money again with the Pats, no. This is just finishing off his rookie contract. I think he's a decent tackle, but he requires a lot communication from the left guard. If he isn't in synch with the left guard, he turns to shit. If they had left cannon at LG, Brady would probably be on crutches right now.

I don't understand the discussion about letting Solder go. He's so far away from being a bad lineman it's ridiculous. He only gets killed because when he misses a block, he misses it in spectacular, embarrassing fashion. Solder is one of the biggest athletic freaks on the offensive line in the entire league. The idea that the Patriots could draft another tackle at #32 and plug him in and he'd be an improvement on Solder is just silly. Look at the struggles of Matt Kalil, Luke Joeckel, and Eric Fisher. They've all been big disappointments and there are no prospects available at #32 who come close to their potential.

I doubt they'll find an NFL ready LT at 32. At best they'll continue to develop Fleming to see what he can do, while they draft linemen in the lower rounds and see what they can do.

TheFatOne

I'm still amazed Blount made it through waivers. Was there something I was missing?

Walking out on an unprofessional organization like the Steelers shouldn't be held against him.

Blounts not that good of a running back. He's a solid replacement if your running back goes down, and if you quit on your team that's generally it for you as a player
unless you are a stud player.
He got lucky he was with the Pats last season, and Ridley got hurt.

Not at that number. He's most likely gone, and it's not like he was even good this year.

Sanjuro

Tackles cost money. That's how it is. When they drafted Nate Solder, they knew he'd be the future of the left tackle position. After a dominant postseason and Super Bowl win, why would they let him walk and trust Brady's last years to a rookie? That makes zero sense.

That's what I'm saying. I'm not suggesting they will let him go. I'm just stating the obvious when that time comes and Nate's agent attempts to factor your logic for a higher salary.

The cap isn't looking too bad for next season. Should give some flex room for a lot of interesting things.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Thing is about Blount is that he doesn't really fumble the ball. Ever. Why didn't a team that was desperate for a RB like Indy sign him.

Duxxy3

Thing is about Blount is that he doesn't really fumble the ball. Ever. Why didn't a team that was desperate for a RB like Indy sign him.

That's why Bill loves him, and hates Ridley. There is no quicker way to Bill's shitlist than fumbling the ball.

Colasante

Blounts not that good of a running back. He's a solid replacement if your running back goes down, and if you quit on your team that's generally it for you as a player
unless you are a stud player.
He got lucky he was with the Pats last season, and Ridley got hurt.

Not at that number. He's most likely gone, and it's not like he was even good this year.

$7 million for a left tackle is not expensive. Jermon Bushrod is making $7M APY. Jake Long is at $8.5M, Sam Baker at $6.8, Donald Penn is nearly $5M. And the idea that Solder wasn't even good this year is just not accurate. He was dominant in the postseason, especially against the Ravens.

Colasante

Wilfork on WEEI: "There's no way in the world this is my last season. ... I doubt if this is my last one."

Wilfork said he worked too hard to get back this offseason to give it up now. Already focused on defending the title.

Sure sounds like a guy who'd be willing to take a pay cut to stick around with the Patriots.

gutshot

wBB7vCw.gif

I can see this getting a lot of use next season.

...what?

Dolphins adding 32 “living rooms” to Sun Life Stadium

In recent years, there’s been debate among NFL teams about the best ways to incorporate things people like about watching games at home into the stadium experience so that they can continue to get people to pay money for tickets.

The Dolphins think they’ve hit on one way to do that. They plan to bring the living room to the stadium. As part of their $400 million renovation of Sun Life Stadium, the team is installing 32 “living rooms” in the lower bowl of the stadium that come in groups of four with 30-inch wide recliners and an 18-inch television in front of each seat.

“We’re out to give a fan the very best seat and the very best experience they could possibly have,” Dolphins president and CEO Tom Garfinkel, via ESPN.com. “There are enough people in this marketplace that, if you can do that, [you] don’t care what it costs.”

The costs are significant. Each group of four costs $75,000 for the season and there are options for bigger TVs that can drive the price higher, although the payout does cover access to food, drink, a lounge, a separate entrance and “a mini garbage to throw things out.” Garfinkel said he expects the seats to sell out and generate a waiting list.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
So wait, the Colts player who intercepted the supposedly intentionally deflated ball, was arrested for assaulting a pizza delivery driver? Trusted character here.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Hey friends,

Who wants to talk about videogames and movies and stuff?

I watched the "Quick and the Dead" last night on Netflix after a long time.

It's a great movie and I didn't realize that Sam Raimi did it.

I'm also still playing "Fantasy Life" on 3DS which is pretty good. Really looking forward to Majora's Mask. I'm pretty set against getting one of those "New" 3DSs though because it's not enough of an upgrade for me personally.

zychi

Banned
I watched the "Quick and the Dead" last night on Netflix after a long time.

It's a great movie and I didn't realize that Sam Raimi did it.

I'm also still playing "Fantasy Life" on 3DS which is pretty good. Really looking forward to Majora's Mask. I'm pretty set against getting one of those "New" 3DSs though because it's not enough of an upgrade for me personally.

I need to catch up on Arrow and Flash from this week.
I can't wait until next week when MM3d comes out. Only way I'd buy a n3ds is if I can get a hold of one of the MM edition.

I just signed up for Gamefly again, waiting on Forza Horizon 2 to come, and The Order in a few weeks.

I've really only been playing CSGO and Batman Arkham Origins this week.

/livejournal

e: i re-ordered uncharted 3. i've been replaying the series since December, and got an itch to do the third after beating 2 around New Years Will likely stream it cuz I streamed the other two.

Tom Penny

Pats are going to franchise Mccourty, Make Ghost a top 3 highest paid kicker and tell Mayo and Amendola to restructure or kick rocks. After that work on Revis and figure out Vereen's market value. I'm not sure what they would pay for another Kevin Faulk.

Top Bottom