• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread 2015 |OT| All of our teams suck!

Godslay

Banned
I cherry picked the fact that Manning had plenty of good enough defenses but he's a choke artist and did nothing with them. Whatever you say mang.

The circle is complete, we are back to the choker argument.

Peyton had 3 total defenses that were top 5.
Tom had 5 total defenses that were top 5.

Peyton had 5 total defenses that were top 10.
Brady had 11 total defenses that were top 10.

Brady's defensive teams outside of top 10 desc: 17/17/15
Manning's defensive teams outside of top 10 desc: 31/28/23/23/22/20/19/17/16/15

For Zychi, the higher the number means a worse defense.

cajunator

Banned
Why didnt one tell me how fucking amazing patacones are?
Now I will be getting one for lunch at least twice a week. Delicious things.

cashman

Banned
8zQyUFw.jpg

Of course pats fans will just put "Butler" there, because they don't know his first name.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
If anyone still wants to do postmortems, I'll be posting mine shortly. I'll keep track of them and keep a list of them with links.

I used a format of:

Season summary
Offense
Defense

Spotlight
Whatever you want, I went with the draft and free agent acquisitions

What will/should happen in the offseason

Summary

zychi

Banned
The circle is complete, we are back to the choker argument.

Peyton had 3 total defenses that were top 5.
Tom had 5 total defenses that were top 5.

Peyton had 5 total defenses that were top 10.
Brady had 11 total defenses that were top 10.

Brady's defensive teams outside of top 10 desc: 17/17/15
Manning's defensive teams outside of top 10 desc: 31/28/23/23/22/20/19/17/16/15

For Zychi, the higher the number means a worse defense.

Bruh, I'm using your logic against you. You can't change the subject or criteria everytime you get proven wrong by someone. First it was QB v Qb, then WRS, then TES, then RBS, now its full teams.

Make up your mind or stop.

Tom Penny

Poor slay. Brady is better in the regular season and post season. Simple as that. Even his teams score more in the regular season and post season despite having lesser talent on offense. Half of Mannings playoff games their team couldn't muster 20 points. The Brady Montana debate is far closer than any Brady Manning debate at this point. Sleep well at night knowing Manning is the best player history that nobody would ever choose to win a big game but had great individual stats. I'll take the other guy that also has great stats and is unprecedented at winning. To each his own.

Godslay

Banned
Bruh, I'm using your logic against you. You can't change the subject or criteria everytime you get proven wrong by someone. First it was QB v Qb, then WRS, then TES, then RBS, now its full teams.

Make up your mind or stop.

Thanks for cluing me into your tactics. Sun Tzu!

I didn't change the criteria.

QB vs. QB:
Manning is better statistically with similar levels of WRs over time. (Better stats, MVPs).
Brady is more accomplished in terms of team achievements. (Superbowls, Playoff wins).

WR vs. WR
Largely a wash. Some big names for each guy. A whole list of nobodies.

TE vs. TE
Gronk wins hands down, even over Orange Julius and Clark.

Never argued RBs, because in reality 2004 Dillion is 2000 James outside of that, it's really a whole lotta nothing.

I've just proven that Brady has had better defenses over the extent of his career. On average roughly 2x better by the rankings.

So if you want to keep moving the goal posts, I'll keep kicking chip shots.

Poor slay. Brady is better in the regular season and post season. Simple as that. Even his teams score more in the regular season and post season despite having lesser talent on offense. Half of Mannings playoff games their team couldn't muster 20 points. The Brady Montana debate is far closer than any Brady Manning debate at this point. Sleep well at night knowing Manning is the best player history that nobody would ever choose to win a big game but had great individual stats. I'll take the other guy that also has great stats and is unprecedented at winning. To each his own.

Poor me. I've already conceded that Brady has more team achievements. Why cannot you concede that Manning is better at the position when all the evidence is there?

Dega

Eeny Meenie Penis
A&M sending coked up Johnny to Seattle to collect the money

Dega! How ya doin?

Fine at the moment but I had the shittiest last two months ever. Was sick with one thing after the other. My immune system must really suck.

No more football though so I might just watch some hockey or bandwagon onto the rockets.

MechDX

Fine at the moment but I had the shittiest last two months ever. Was sick with one thing after the other. My immune system must really suck.

No more football though so I might just watch some hockey or bandwagon onto the rockets.

With Brady winning a Super Bowl who is our QB now ?

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
Steelers 2014 Postmortem

Season summary -

The team finished 11-5 and won the AFC North. They did much better than most pundits thought they would, including myself. The team featured an explosive offense and a mediocre defense.

Offense -

Possibly the most dynamic offense the Steelers have ever had was on display last season. They finished second in the league in ypg (behind NO by 5 yards total), but were seventh in scoring. With outstanding performances by Ben Roethlisberger, Antonio Brown and Le'Veon Bell, the offense was able to do a myriad of things well. They fell short in the red zone area too often, though. Martavis Bryant, benched for much of the season, got on the field after 6 games and promptly exploded for 49/549/8. Markus Wheaton improved from 5 to 53 catches in his sophomore year. If they continue their upward trajectory the 2015 Steelers could have the best collection of skill players in the league.

Tight end Heath Miller appears to be fully recoved from his previous knee injury, but age is catching up to him. He is not the dynamic passing threat he once was and his blocking is beginning to become very average.

The offensive line, anchored by Maurkice Pouncey and David DeCastro, and buoyed by a relatively healthy year and new coach Mike Munchak, had one of their best years in a long while. The other guard position and both tackles are manned at an average to below-average level.

Defense -

A bad defense for several years now, the Steelers showed some improvements in forcing turnovers. Unfortunately, they still gave up a myriad of big plays, and were unable to generate pressure on the qb or stop the run consistently.

Whether is was the fact that Dick LeBeau's scheme was outdated or the players were incapable of playing said schemes correctly, one thing was abuduntantly clear. It was not working. These players and LeBeau weren't working well together. Dick LeBeau tendered his resignation and moved on to the Titans. Longtime dc in waiting and linebacker coach Keith Butler will take over the defense.

There is some talent on the defense. Cam Heyward, while a bit inconsistent, continues to be a force. Lawrence Timmons made the probowl for the first time. Rookies Stephon Tuitt and Dan McCullers showed they had the talent to play in the NFL.

Conversely, Troy Polamalu, as much as it hurts to say, is done playing at a competent level as a safety. For some reason, free agent acquisition Cam Thomas played a majority of snaps and he was terrible. Mike Mitchell only appeared comfortable in the defense when Troy was injured. Cortez Allen was burnt so continuously, he lost his starting position, then lost his opportunity to play at all and finally ended up on ir.

The Steelers defense was hurt by injuries, too. It may slow the development of many players. First round pick Ryan Shazier missed a lot of time. Last years first round pick Jarvis Jones broke his wrist and landed on ir-eligible to return. While Jones came back, his upper body strength was sub par. Ike Taylor broke his arm, well Timmons broke his arm, and missed the end of the season. NT Steve McClendon battled a shoulder injury most of the year.

Spotlight - New Players -

This is something that bothered me all year. The Steelers generally aren't players in free agency, but they were for the 2014 season. Perhaps they were out of practice or don't have people positioned to scout free agents, but they did a terrible job of it. Their drafting, as usual, was very good if not spectacular.

A quick look at the draft. In order, the Steelers drafted Ryan Shazier, Stephon Tuitt, Dri Archer, Martavis Bryant and got Dan McCullers in the sixth round. Those guys will all be on the team next year and only Archer may bust out of the league. While time will tell on the rest of them, especially Shazier, I'm happy with that haul of talent.

Onto the free agents. The Steelers signed a few big fa's. Mike Mitchell, Lance Moore, Cam Thomas and LeGarrette Blount were the guys brought in above minimum, qualifying contracts. Their impact, collectively, was a massive negative. They either sucked, sulked or worked their way off the team.

They also extended some of their own players. Notably, the aforementioned Cortez Allen will be bearing an albatross contract. RT Marcus Gilbert got 7/$30M, but doesn't seem worth it. Jason Worilds got a $10M transition tag and was worth about $2M.

Conversely, some of the guys that the Steelers took flyers on, Arthur Moats, DHB, Brice McCain and Antwon Blake, acquitted themselves well. They weren't much better than special teams/fill in guys, but they did it well and cheaply.

I'm unsure where to place blame for most of the ridiculous misses and mishandling of money, but GM Kevin Colbert is ultimately responsible.

What should/will happen this offseason -

First and foremost, the Steelers need to solve some of their defensive personnel issues. They will continue to look under every rock to find some talent, having already signed a couple of ex-CFL guys.

They need to make a clean break from the past. LeBeau is gone, it's time to let some of his old stalwarts go with him. Polumalu, Taylor, Harrison and Keisel should all be allowed to find happiness elsewhere.

I am unsure what the Steelers will do with Worilds, a free agent. Personally, I'd let him walk. He's shown he'll never be a top level pass rusher and if he signs a long term deal, his presence will keep younger guys from practicing and playing and developing.

So, personnel-wise, the defense needs pass rushers and cornerbacks. Perhaps a safety, depending on how the team feels about Mitchell and Shamarko Thomas. The offense could use a stud tackle, a developmental tight end and a backup running back.

For the coaching staff, OC Todd Haley needs to figure out ways to get in the end zone while in the red zone. DC Keith Butler needs to figure out a way to keep the defense simple enough so players can think less and react more. I suspect that HC Mike Tomlin will be more hands on with the defense from here on out. He should also work on his clock management, maybe take a class or something.

Summary -

It is an exciting time to be a Steeler fan. The offense is controlling and capable of winning games without much help for the defense. The acquisitions made during this year's draft and free agency period could very well make them championship contenders or banish them to mediocrity.

Tom Penny

T
QB vs. QB:
Manning is better statistically with similar levels of WRs over time. (Better stats, MVPs).
Brady is more accomplished in terms of team achievements. (Superbowls, Playoff wins).

WR vs. WR
Largely a wash. Some big names for each guy. A whole list of nobodies.

:jnc

Tom Penny

I've posted the list of each teams respective WRs, and all you do is laugh.

You've provided no evidence to the contrary.

Clearly, you've set your mind on falsehoods. There is nothing that I can do about that. Good day Tom Penny. I wish you well.

Yes. 2 years of Randy Moss is the same as 10+ seasons with Wayne and Harrison. Keep fighting the good fight. I'm done. Go debate with Zychi..

cdyhybrid

So you're saying that Manning and Brady had similar supporting casts. Got it!

If anyone still wants to do postmortems, I'll be posting mine shortly. I'll keep track of them and keep a list of them with links.

I used a format of:

Season summary
Offense
Defense

Spotlight
Whatever you want, I went with the draft and free agent acquisitions

What will/should happen in the offseason

Summary

I'll do the Seahawks in a second.

Here's an oldie, in honor of Richie getting back in the league:

DxOjQnj.jpg

Someone find that shirt that Greg (I think) made featuring Incognito.

Godslay

Banned
Yes. 2 years of Randy Moss is the same as 10+ seasons with Wayne and Harrison. Keep fighting the good fight. I'm done. Go debate with Zychi..

It was three years with Moss I'll assume that was a typo. And actually exactly 10 with Harrison. Look at Harrison prior to Manning. Not the same guy. Moss was the same before Brady with one exceptional season with him.

But like I said. Good day.

I need to learn how to shoot better in FIFA

dominate possession, many more shots on goal, can't get anything to go

meanwhile people with 1 shot on goal converting and I'm losing games
That is the part that takes the most practice, learning how to get those high percentage shots!

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
It was three years with Moss I'll assume that was a typo. And actually exactly 10 with Harrison. Look at Harrison prior to Manning. Not the same guy. Moss was the same before Brady with one exceptional season with him.

But like I said. Good day.

it was 07 and 09. he was traded after 3 games in 2010 and brady was out in 08.

edit- he was clearly being ousted from week 1.

cdyhybrid

Seahawks 2014 Postmortem

Season summary -

Team finished 12-4, winning the NFC West by 1 game over the Cardinals. Went on to lose in Super Bowl XLIX after a miraculous comeback against Green Bay in the NFCCG.

Offense -

The Seahawks were ranked #1 in rushing, ahead of the #2 team (Dallas) by over 400 yards, in part due to the rushing threat of Russell Wilson (849 yds, good for second on the team). However, their passing attack ranked just 27th in the league, behind offensive juggernauts like Oakland, Tampa Bay, and St. Louis.

Overall, they finished 9th in yards and 10th in points. The offense struggled at times with injuries, including season-ending injuries to TE Zach Miller and WR Paul Richardson. Starting C Max Unger and LT Russell Okung also missed significant time. The loss of Pro Bowler Golden Tate (also the team's best punt returner) and clubhouse cancer Percy Harvin (the team's best kick returner) also didn't help.

Despite all these setbacks, the offense played well enough for the team to be successful. They put up nearly 600 yards in a Week 16 win at Arizona with the NFC West title on the line. Much of this will be overshadowed by the decision of their offensive coordinator to throw a pass on the 1 yard line in the Super Bowl instead of handing the ball off to the league's best RB, a play that resulted in an interception and ended their season.

Defense -

The Seahawks' defense ranked 1st in yards and points allowed (again), despite some struggles early in the season (such as getting torched by Antonio Gates and the Chargers). Similarly to 2013, they ranked first in pass yards allowed and third in rush yards allowed. However, they took a significant dip in pass rush capability (T-8th total sacks in 2013, 20th in 2014) and takeaways (1st in 2013 with 2.5/game, 14th in 2014 with 1.6).

This was partially due to 1) significant injuries in the secondary around Richard Sherman, a unit that was, for the most part, healthy all of 2013, as well as the defensive line (Jordan Hill, Brandon Mebane) and 2) the free agent departures of solid contributors such as Chris Clemons.

Spotlight - The 2014 Draft -

The Pete Carroll-John Schneider brain trust has typically done well with their drafting, essentially building the foundation of their team entirely through the draft (outside of a few key moves such as trading for Marshawn Lynch). However, the jury is still out on this class. Here is their draft class:

WR Paul Richardson - Little playing time early, started to get more snaps after the departure of Percy Harvin. Started to make an impact late in the season, before a season-ending ACL tear in the divisional round of the playoffs. Was also the team's kickoff returner.

RT Justin Britt - Britt struggled in pass protection (as did much of the O-line), resulting in a dropoff from departed RT Breno Giacomini. He seemed to hold up alright in run blocking (based on the team's rushing stats), but will need to improve his pass pro if he wants to keep that job locked down.

DE Cassius Marsh - Appeared in 5 games before being placed on IR with a broken foot. Didn't make much of an impact when he did get on the field.

WR Kevin Norwood - Like Richardson, struggled to get on the field early in the season. Had some catches later in the season as playing time opened up, but was largely not a difference-maker. WR is typically a difficult position at which to make an early impact, so we'll see how he develops.

LB Kevin Pierre-Louis - Compared to Navorro Bowman coming out of college by one scout, KPL contributed in spots in seven games before being placed on IR in November.

DT Jimmy Staten - non-factor.

OT Garrett Scott - non-factor.

FS Eric Pinkins - non-factor.

FB Kiero Small - non-factor.

The Seahawks needed contributions from this class to keep up their dominant standard of play, and did not get it, in part due to bad luck with injuries. The team will need their top picks to step up as their depth is raided by free agency and cap casualties.

What should/will happen this offseason -

#FireTheBevell2015

The Seahawks struggled the most in the passing game in 2014. They need better pass protection around Russell, as well as legitimate downfield threats to allow Doug Baldwin and Jermaine Kearse to get open underneath. Paul Richardson could end up being that guy, but he's not a sure thing yet.

They'll need help on the O-line in general, after RT Justin Britt struggled at times, and with LG James Carpenter potentially leaving in free agency.

On the defensive side, they need to continue to replenish their depth (as they had to do after 2013), particularly along the defensive line. Their pass rush fell off significantly, and they struggled to get to the QB in key moments this season. When Byron Maxwell and Jeremy Lane got injured, the CB depth behind them struggled mightily, including 2013 draft pick Tharold Simon.

Finally, they need to make improvements in the return game. Richardson was an acceptable kickoff returner after Harvin was traded (until he got hurt, anyway), but the Seahawks got nothing in the punt return game, with Bryan Walters not coming close to filling Golden Tate's shoes.

Summary -

Defense pretty good, rushing game pretty good, passing game sucks.

Pay Lynch and actually use him.

Yes!

Steelers 2014 Postmortem

Great post chuck. Though I have to disagree with one part - what Younger guys? After Worilds, there's Jarvis, and....

Steelers have no pass rushers. I have faith Jarvis will produce but after him they have absolutely nothing. Deebo likely won't be asked back, Hojo's only proven he can pick up fumbles and Moats is JAG. Right now i'm filling in OLB in my first round mocks.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
Great post chuck. Though I have to disagree with one part - what Younger guys? After Worilds, there's Jarvis, and....

Steelers have no pass rushers. I have faith Jarvis will produce but after him they have absolutely nothing. Deebo likely won't be asked back, Hojo's only proven he can pick up fumbles and Moats is JAG. Right now i'm filling in OLB in my first round mocks.

I'm hoping for a draft pick or two.

Realistically, what do you think it would take to sign Worilds?

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Jets 2014 Postmortem

Season Summary:

geno-smith-fumbles-against-titans.gif

The rest is just as simple:

Spend some $$$ to build a secondary
Draft Mariota if available (he won't be)
Another WR (or TE?? Amaro seemed solid, I'll let the more football informed on here judge that)
Get Kerley to produce like he did before the big contract.

The offense will be disfunctional again unless QB is somehow straightened out. Doesn't have to excel, just doesn't have to be a shitshow like above.

Let's see how we spend all that cap money.

jakncoke

Banned
Fucking lame ass buffet only had swill to drink like budweiser and coors light, asked me if i wanted any. I asked is that all i got to choose from and i declined aggressively . Fucking joints serving shit beer needs to stop

Top Bottom