• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread 2015 |OT2| Home of Baseball, Anime, Cricket, and Magic Johnson

Man, this is probably the most excited I've ever been for FA in the NFL, ever! Having a GM I have complete faith in and seeing him aggressively work to free up what will soon be around or over 20 mil is a clear indication we're going after someone big. Veldheer was HUGE for us and I can't wait to see who Keim is going after this time around. Snatch Justin Houston out of that Franchise Tag, please!

what about Djax? don't you think cutting him could have led to a decline in mccoys numbers because the eagles didn't have an elite deep threat?

Except Maclin was putting up huge numbers until Foles got injured. Maclin's numbers declined in the second half because Sanchez couldn't throw a deep balls to save his life. The dude didn't drop a single catchable pass that came his way. Sure, he's no DJax, but I don't think that is what happened to Shady. It was more the offensive line missing three starters.

JABEE

what about Djax? don't you think cutting him could have led to a decline in mccoys numbers because the eagles didn't have an elite deep threat?

McCoy's decline had everything to do with the health of the O-Line and McCoy's lack of burst.

Teams always designed their defenses around stopping McCoy over everything else. Maclin matched Desean Jacksons receptions of 20+ yards last season.

I think the biggest problem with losing Jackson was just losing another option. Riley Cooper underperformed by a lot, and would be gone if this season didn't represent dead money.

I may be wrong, but from what I observed, it seemed like people just ran with the narrative of Jackson hurting the team. It wasn't until Sanchez blew the last quarter of the season that people went back to talking about it. Jackson had a big game against the Eagles to knock the Eagles out, and everyone focused in on the Kelly/Jackson feud storyline again.

JABEE

Except Maclin was putting up huge numbers until Foles got injured. Maclin's numbers declined in the second half because Sanchez couldn't throw a deep balls to save his life. The dude didn't drop a single catchable pass that came his way. Sure, he's no DJax, but I don't think that is what happened to Shady. It was more the offensive line missing three starters.

There were so many instances last season with Maclin and Matthews running wide open with plenty of space. Kelly creates so much space for his receivers even on the NFL level.

Watch the Seattle game with Sanchez. The Eagles almost came back in that game. Every time, Sanchez turned the ball over for no reason.

Pepiope

I love how the Philly media is talking about Chip Kelly scaring off free agents, because he cut or shipped out players with backloaded contracts that were no longer producing as if this isn't the standard by which most successful NFL teams operate.

We have so many holes in the secondary. All we have lost is Cary Williams, Nate Allen, and Bradley Fletcher.

If you believe that is a great loss for this team, then I don't know what to say.

You can get on the Eagles if they lose Maclin and Graham. I would even give you Trent Cole, but to pretend like turnover is abnormal, then I don't think you have been following the league.

The Patriots replaced 3 out of 4 starters in their secondary last off season. They were in such disarray that they assembled one of the best secondaries in the league. That was the difference, along with Gronk, between the Super Bowl Pats team and the underachieving Pats of the last 10 years.
We probably are going to lose Graham. He doesn't fit here, he's more of a 4-3 DE, and he wants to get paid as such. Be prepared to lose him unless he signs on the cheap.

I think Maclin is back unless that deal with TB involving Mike Evans has any merit to it, but in general our media sucks and the fans get pissed off for the smallest changes made that they don't agree with. Chip is going to continue to get blasted until the season starts and he actually shows that this can work. There isn't much patience with him while we're still sitting at 0 Super Bowls.

We probably are going to lose Graham. He doesn't fit here, he's more of a 4-3 DE, and he wants to get paid as such. Be prepared to lose him unless he signs on the cheap.

I think Maclin is back unless that deal with TB involving Mike Evans has any merit to it, but in general our media sucks and the fans get pissed off for the smallest changes made that they don't agree with. Chip is going to continue to get blasted until the season starts and he actually shows that this can work. There isn't much patience with him when we're still sitting at 0 Super Bowls.

The most annoying thing about the media and fans right now is they act like signing free agents never works out since the dream team fiasco. Despite the fact that some of our best players were obtained in free agency.

JaMarco

I hope we get him.

I really think it's funny how the Philly Media is running around saying this isn't the model.

Any time something bad happens they say, "this isn't how the Patriots do it. This isn't how the Seahawks do it." Yet both teams have strong head coaches that exert complete control over their roster.

Carroll has Schneider to bounce ideas off, but Carroll decides on the final 53.

You can make the argument that Kelly is incompetent and doesn't know what he's doing, but it's not because he's following the wrong model. The Patriots replaced almost their entire secondary last season on their way to the Super Bowl.

The Eagles cut underperforming players, bordering on bad players. I would rather have a hole than a shit player like Fletcher. I'm good with change.
If Kelly is going to use all that money mostly on defense, he's doing the right thing. You can't hurry up chuck and duck your way to a Superbowl with shit defense. Trust me.

zychi

Banned
A fake Schefter account got a bunch of idiots Chicago media with a Marshall to SD trade. All of them deleted their quoted tweets.

I hate the sports journalism media.

Pepiope

The most annoying thing about the media and fans right now is they act like signing free agents never works out since the dream team fiasco. Despite the fact that some of our best players were obtained in free agency.
Combine that with the fact that a lot of fans want Mariota, but don't consider the price tag he is going to carry. We can't build through the draft if we're trading it for MM. I've learned to live with the fact that he is probably going to be an Eagle, but I'm still crossing my fingers.

niners now players for trent cole. we're building the all-2008 team! suck it down losers!

other players we will sign:

vince young
andre johnson
vince wilfork
etc

MechDX

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...t-on-20k-bill-for-car-customization/#comments

TMZ reports that a police report has been filed in Houston alleging that Swearinger skipped out on a $20,000 bill from Espi Motors for work they did on his pickup truck.

According to the report, Swearinger brought his truck into the shop to have a variety of bells and whistles installed, including matte black paint with a Batman logo, speakers, new wheels, custom grill and a train horn, and then balked at the cost for the work when it was done. He then allegedly took his car from the shop without paying for the work. The shop tried to track Swearinger down, but were unable to do so despite the distinctive look of the truck that Swearinger’s allegedly driving around town.

How the fuck do you not see this monstrosity driving down a street? Please cut his ass.

Alex Marvez ‏@alexmarvez · 1m1 minute ago
Source tells @NFLonFOX that @RAIDERS have interest in ex- @HoustonTexans C Chris Myers. Stefen Wisniewski could be leaving as UFA

Cool.

Bread

Banned
Old guy at the Y wearing a pats super bowl shirt and american flag short shorts

So fucking American, I love it.

Wilfork is a guy I'd take for two years but I'd rather just re-sign Dan Williams. I just have a feeling someone will throw more money his way in which case, grab Wilfork! Actually, Wilfork might command more or at least, get a larger offer from other teams as he's far more a known commodity.

gutshot

Chip has actually shown himself to be a much better free agent evaluator (Barwin, Jenkins, Sproles, etc.) than he has a drafter (Smith, Barkley, Wolff, etc.). So I think trying to fill holes via free agency and using our picks to move up for Mariota is perfectly acceptable.

Bowser

“They’re like $50 million under the cap, which means they can sign any free agent they want – and they could sign a bunch of them,” CSN Philly insider Reuben Frank said on CBS Sports Radio’s The DA Show. “And I started to think, why would a team want to be that active in free agency? And then I realized Chip is hoping he doesn't have any draft picks because he’s going to trade them all to Tampa for the first pick in the draft.

“So I started thinking, this is all a plan to have all this money under the cap, trade a bunch of draft picks, draft Marcus Mariota and build through free agency – which is a dangerous way, I think, to build a football team. I think you build through the draft, but if you really believe Marcus Mariota can be that special, (you have to try to get him).

http://da.radio.cbssports.com/2015/03/05/reuben-frank-chip-kelly-clearing-space-for-mariota/

lol chip pls

jakncoke

Banned
Chip going fuck around sign/draft a bunch of his own college players, sign a bunch of high profile FA and end up like Spurrier

MechDX

Came across my Twitter feed. :jnc:

B_SiQypWsAAuY8Q.png:large

Chip has actually shown himself to be a much better free agent evaluator (Barwin, Jenkins, Sproles, etc.) than he has a drafter (Smith, Barkley, Wolff, etc.). So I think trying to fill holes via free agency and using our picks to move up for Mariota is perfectly acceptable.

The word was the Roseman was responsible for Marcus Smith a week or two ago. I dunno. I'm crossing my fingers that Smith just needed a year to get his shit together like Vinny Curry and BG did. But yeah, they've made some great moves in FA recently. Then there are guys like Peters and Mathis who were FA pickups who worked out stunningly well. His plan is clearly to address needs in FA and bet the farm on Mariota though.

jakncoke

Banned
OK, I stand corrected

Hasn't happened recently though. Bradford might have had a good career if not for the injuries

If you look at the list of winners, more times than not a heisman winner didnt pan out. Pretty funny how its almost like its a curse to win a heisman

OK, I stand corrected

Hasn't happened recently though. Bradford might have had a good career if not for the injuries

Among the past 16 quarterbacks to win the Heisman, there has been a grand total of one NFL playoff win as a starter. And that winner was Tim Tebow. The magic happened in Jan., of 2012, as the Broncos beat the Steelers in OT, 29-23, on Tebow’s 80-yard bomb to Demaryius Thomas.

Source

Tebow defies all expectations

Top Bottom