• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread 2015 |OT2| Home of Baseball, Anime, Cricket, and Magic Johnson

ampere

Lmao you were happy when ARod signed with the Yankees? That's some revisionist history there.

Suh is a top defensive player in the league playing at a position that would take advantage of a Pats weakness (interior oline). The Dolphins are already a good team, this would make them a much bigger threat to us.

No I wasn't happy at the time, it's hindsight.

Too much money for one player even if they are a big playmaker

Bread

Banned
No I wasn't happy at the time, it's hindsight.

Too much money for one player even if they are a big playmaker
It's not like they're a rebuilding team mortgaging their future, this gives them an elite talent to add to a defense that already gives Brady fits.

JABEE

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/writer...ills-eagles-trade-from-each-teams-perspective

Jason LaCanfora said:
The Eagles side of the deal

So let's dispel of some of that right away. First of all, if Kelly, who now unquestionably controls the keys to the entire kingdom in Philadelphia, hadn't already proved to you he doesn't give a damn about public opinion and PR then you haven't been paying attention. He's anything but risk-averse or caught up in groupthink, and far from concerned about perception. That's never a part of his equation. And it's foolish to think he's prowling for Ducks (or hunting for Ducks? I'm not much of an outdoorsman).

The Eagles may have cut McCoy if they were not able to trade him, they hoped to have something materialize quickly, spoke to a few running-back needy teams and Alonso was available and made sense. He fills a need, has great upside, and fitting him into Ryan's new scheme, a year after Buffalo's stud defense barely missed a beat without him, was going to be tricky anyway. The fact he played for Kelly and the coach knows him well is a plus, but don't kid yourself into thinking Kelly is trying to collect as many Oregon players as he can. This just happened to work out that way.

And the idea that Kelly wants to run off every player of his that has a big persona or is strong-minded or whatever, I'm not buying that either. Yes, he has a keen appreciation for his system and its ability to cull productivity out of lesser players and perhaps he prizes that a bit too much. Time will tell. DeSean Jackson certainly came back to bite him on the backside in two games with Washington last season that helped keep Philadelphia from the playoffs. But I don't think it's all ego or hubris. I believe it is grounded in basic economic principles. Above all else Kelly wants to win, and I don't think he's above a personality clash or two to make that happen … if the contract is reasonable.

What this is really about is money, and inefficiency, from Kelly's perspective. And on this he seems particularly unwavering, regardless of a player's popularity.

Running backs aren't getting deals like McCoy's these days, and, if Adrian Peterson ends up taking a paycut to play somewhere else, McCoy's deal could stand as the second-highest in the entire league for a running back once Marshawn Lynch's reworked deal with Seattle becomes official. So, is he worth it? When the Eagles' offensive line suffered some injuries in 2014, McCoy's output slipped dramatically to the point he was essentially an average back (4.2 yards per carry). Without serious cap ramifications and guaranteed money hanging over Kelly, he's looking at this as the perfect time to redirect assets out of this declining position at a time when the draft is loaded with backs. And you don't even need to invest a top pick to land one. His scheme and his line is good enough to get 4.2 anywhere so why risk another year of it at $10M when he has needs to fill holes elsewhere?

By trading McCoy, rather than just letting him walk, the Eagles obviously get an asset in return, but also get McCoy out of the NFC – would Dallas have swooped for him as a replacement for DeMarco Murray? – and if nothing else makes sure he doesn't end up with a rival, a la Jackson. But don't think for a minute that if Kelly believed this $10M was best spent elsewhere – and he clearly did – that he wouldn't have just released the running back. I'm assuming he would have.

So, what does it mean for the Eagles? Well, this decision, coupled with cutting guys like Trent Cole, Todd Herremans and Cary Williams, has created ample cash room. Not cap room – they already had plenty of that – but cap room in which to invest heavily in this year's budget with the cash out-lays earmarked for those veterans now gone. It sets the stage for Kelly to rebuild his secondary – he is very fond of Bill Belichick and watched Belichick take a revamped secondary to another Lombardi a few weeks back – and sources continue to tell me that corner Byron Maxwell and safety Devin McCourty are top targets for Philly.

They may go ahead and risk overspending on a pass rusher, particularly Pittsburgh's Jason Worilds, who sources say the Eagles have particular interest in and fits their scheme. The Eagles will likely continue to try to make efforts to keep receiver Jeremy Maclin prior to the market opening next week. They are primed to splurge, with Kelly miffed about missing the playoffs last year and someone who I suspect will dangle no shortage of future draft picks to move up and draft Oregon quarterback Marcus Mariota. Kelly ain't worried about tomorrow and if he decides he's not long for this pro stuff he can always go back to the college ranks at anytime and cash in big time there.

People in contact with Kelly through his initial NFL coaching interviews say he gushed about Mariota even way back then, calling him the most talented player he had ever worked with, a tremendous kid and glowing quarterback whom Kelly believed “would win multiple Super Bowls.” So shipping Nick Foles and a bunch of high picks won't scare him in the least and it's fair to say he would see Mariota as a day one starter and not a developmental guy. Grab Mariota, find your running back in the mid-rounds and away you go. If he still had Jackson and McCoy counting close to $20M, the reshaping wouldn't be possible.

Of course, it could fail. Maybe even fail miserably. But I wouldn't be surprised if Kelly gives it a go.

Get it done, Chipper!

ampere

How much $ do you think Revis wants?

I think he'd do $15M * 5yr if enough of it was guaranteed and he'd be on a contender.

I don't know what he's thinking though, he might be savvy and just take the $5M we owe him plus a big deal somewhere else.

Godslay

Banned
Didn't realize Broz was heading into his 4th year as a backup. Kinda crazy for a 2nd round pick. Wonder what Broncos will do at end of season, do you resign a guy who hasn't started a game?

Pretty sure he'll get a deal. Plenty of time invested in to him not to.

bionic77

Because he would be overpaid and would cripple the dolphins for years to come and he wouldn't care about playing you dickfuck
Gata bro.

For once me and you are on exactly the same page.

I would so love for Suh to come to the AFC East.

I would buy several of his jerseys after the first few dirty hits on Tammy.

He could go from villain to hero in an instant.

Miami make this happen!

/Posted while stuck in traffic. 81 is a fucking parking lot. Fuck driving in the snow.

Godslay

Banned
I could see the Patriots going up to $16M a year. If the Jets offer $18M, I think he'd choose the Patriots. But if they truly are willing to go above and beyond and offer him $20M, I think he'd choose the Jets.

Pats are already 5 million in the hole with him. So if they go up to 16 its really 21 million. They pretty much paid 5 for a exclusive month to negotiate with him.

MechDX

**NFL RUMORS**

Early suitors involved in Brandon Marshall trade talks with #Bears
#Texans ' #Browns ' #Chargers all have made contact--incarcerated Bob Twitter

Personally don't want him.

MechDX

One potential free agent off market: Bengals and MLB Rey Maualuga reached agreement on a 3-year deal, per source.--Schefter

From BG's favorite person

Mary Kay Cabot @MaryKayCabot · 2h 2 hours ago
Brian Hartline mulling chances with Cleveland Browns, New England Patriots, Houston Texans and Chicago Bears http://dlvr.it/8rTsH8

Mary Kay Cabot @MaryKayCabot · 3m 3 minutes ago
Hartline will take less $ to play w/ a QB such as #Patriots Brady, will require more $$ to play w/ a #Browns McCown or #Texans Mallet

:jnc

Colasante

Hartline will take less $ to play w/ a QB such as #Patriots Brady, will require more $$ to play w/ a #Browns McCown or #Texans Mallet

I'm cool with that. Hartline for around $3 million isn't the worst option. Though I hope this is just leverage to get Amendola to agree to a pay cut.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
All of the reports have us gunning for Maxwell instead.

i understand that, just saying the way you worded it implies you don't want revis. everybody wants revis however the eagles see they can get a top tier cb and a top tier safety for roughly the same price. that being said mccourty is a Damn good piece, but not in the same breath as revis.

Colasante

Why not just keep Amendola

Hartline is more of a boundary receiver and he should be around $2M cheaper than Amendola per year, given Amendola's current salary. I'd rather keep a reduced Amendola and sign Andre Johnson, but who knows. The wide receiver depth chart for the Patriots could be entirely blown up behind Edelman and LaFell this offseason.

ampere

If we sign Hartline I highly doubt there's guaranteed money. Something small where if it doesn't work he gets cut. I don't see him as impactful enough to justify it when we have a pretty solid wideout core.

Depends on Vereen though. He's a great receiving RB, but will be $5M range

He got his ring, time to get paid.

He's getting paid either way. If we keep him it's gotta be a good offer

So he's probably gone

**NFL RUMORS**

Early suitors involved in Brandon Marshall trade talks with #Bears
#Texans ' #Browns ' #Chargers all have made contact--incarcerated Bob Twitter

Personally don't want him.

He's still an amazing player. But You need a strong coach to keep him in line. Unfortunately Trestman let him run wild and Marshall (supposedly) did enough damage to turn everyone against him.

cdyhybrid

Lol he doesnt suck tho

7xHaC7h.png

x3gqUGl.png

zychi

Banned
Not surprising. He was a shell of his former self last year. His only major contribution was festering locker room resentment about Lovie Smith being fired. At least now he'll have plenty of time for barbecue!

He was also one of the sources that started the circus in November, he was talking shit about Cutler, Marshall, Trestman and basically everyone who wasn't part of the Lovie era to the ex-long snapper, Mannely. Mannely never came out and said it was Briggs, but it was SO obvious who it was but the exact quotes and the way Lance speaks.

I bet he ends up in SD or OAK if he doesn't retire. He can skip practice for his shitty Sacramento restaurant for them.

Good riddance.

Top Bottom