• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread 2015 |OT2| Home of Baseball, Anime, Cricket, and Magic Johnson

Spinluck

Why does the PS4 give you a 10 second black screen when you hit the HOME button during a bluray/dvd movie?

I missed this Blandino video last week, pretty interesting

https://twitter.com/TroyVincent23/status/567743233032081410

Hmm, that was nice. Not sure if anything will change though, Bryant's "catch" wasn't a catch. I thought we established that hit the ground from that angle. The Megatron one is up for debate though, but I'd say it's closer to following the process of what the NFL officially rules a catch.

Defense has it hard as is, so I hope plays like the Bryant one aren't looked at as catches.

eznark

Banned
Yeah. I don't think they should change the rule. It makes sense why those standards exist. I don't think that should be a fumble. I also think that it's a pretty clear line for when someone is making a football move and when they are just going to the ground. The different Dez Bryant catches illustrate that point. I don't know what they can do to change the current interpretation. Players will start slightly reaching as they are coming down to solidify completions.

It happens so rarely that I'd just as soon they leave it as is. I don't want a year of insanity as officials try to figure it out.

Draxal

That happened to Teddy Bridgewater.

People thought: "he's black so he has to be good on his feet".

He was like Eli Manning on his feet bad in college.

Nah, Bridgewater could move, he didn't trip over himself like Eli does. He's still very much a pocket qb, otoh.

18t5s1v82ej95gif.gif

Great Gif.

I really like the jester paint.

You wanted this.

Sitting in LAX drinking a beer at 11am waiting for my flight to Honolulu. Fuck the Pats, enjoy your snow biiiiiiiiiiiiiiitches!

Awesome! What you gonna do in Hawaii?

The draft is going to be fun for the Patriots. They'll get a 3rd round pick for letting Aqib Talib go to the Broncos without any penalty for signing Revis because the Bucs cut him. Then they'll get a 4th round pick for fleecing the Bucs in the Mankins trade. And they may even get a late pick from the Jets for tampering with Revis. Joyous.

I have absolutely no clue who they gonna draft though, I don't even know what position they are interested in. I just want them to re-sign Dmac and Revie.

ampere

I never have a clue who the Pats will draft. Garoppolo really surprised me last year, though we did need a new backup

I would not be surprised if we trade down like some have said.

TheFatOne

I'm really hoping Dennard can rebound after last season. He was a solid number two corner before Revis/Browner came in. If he can regain his form from the previous season Pats secondary will improve. Arrington is great at certain match ups, but I think when Dennard is on his game he is better than Arrington.
I never have a clue who the Pats will draft. Garoppolo really surprised me last year, though we did need a new backup

Don't think they will trade down this year. Hoping for linebackers,defensive end,oline, or dt in the first. If the Pats can find a way to improve the oline, and dline this off season while keeping Revis/McCourty they are going to be awesome next season. I'm really excited to see a full season of Lafell. Think he's going to be even better come next season. Guy was a legit steal. Nothing flashy just really solid overall.

Respect

Used to hate when BB would trade down all the time...then he started trading up after I bought into the trading down idea.

Getting Hightower and Gronk were certainly worth trading up for...but I still prefer trading down and stockpiling picks. Drafting is so much of a crap shot that more picks are more chances to hit it big.

Draxal

Pats are drafting Gary Nova.

He didn't get a combine invite : /.

I see the perpetual trade down while stockpiling players for later, if Gurley lasts to early third I'd expect the pats to get him.

Colasante

I'm really hoping Dennard can rebound after last season. He was a solid number two corner before Revis/Browner came in. If he can regain his form from the previous season Pats secondary will improve. Arrington is great at certain match ups, but I think when Dennard is on his game he is better than Arrington.

Don't think they will trade down this year. Hoping for linebackers,defensive end,oline, or dt in the first. If the Pats can find a way to improve the oline, and dline this off season while keeping Revis/McCourty they are going to be awesome next season. I'm really excited to see a full season of Lafell. Think he's going to be even better come next season. Guy was a legit steal. Nothing flashy just really solid overall.

I'm hoping Dennard can rebound too. Both he and Dobson disappointed this year and I'd like to think both were victims of being behind the eight ball when training camp began- Dobson because of recovery from his foot injury and Dennard because of his jail time. The coaches always stress the benefits of having a full offseason, and it's usually ignored by the time the games start happening, but it could be the culprit here.

ampere

I'm really excited to see a full season of Lafell. Think he's going to be even better come next season. Guy was a legit steal. Nothing flashy just really solid overall.

Yeah once he learned our offense he was a huge asset.

Shitty for Cam Newton that they keep shipping off all his weapons though lol.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
I'm hoping Dennard can rebound too. Both he and Dobson disappointed this year and I'd like to think both were victims of being behind the eight ball when training camp began- Dobson because of recovery from his foot injury and Dennard because of his jail time. The coaches always stress the benefits of having a full offseason, and it's usually ignored by the time the games start happening, but it could be the culprit here.

Pretty sure denards knee is what will hold him down, just speculation on my part though. Dobson is a bum, would be shocked if he's on the roster next season.

Colasante

Pretty sure denards knee is what will hold him down, just speculation on my part though. Dobson is a bum, would be shocked if he's on the roster next season.

Why is he a bum and what is the benefit of cutting him? That doesn't make any sense.

Dobson isn't a pick like Tavon Wilson where Bill reached. He was a legitimate 2nd rounder. To cut the cord on him after one good season and one bad, injury-plagued season in which he barely got playing time is just really dumb.

xnipx

Besides maybe Revis, who was a better corner than Vontae Davis this year? I don't think he gets his due. Great cover guy, great tackler, technique, and ball skills.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xsc8DnHzQiw

Our D is garbo, but without him I cannot imagine what we'd be.

EDIT: Thanks Phin bros

Super Bowl Champion Jimmy Smith will be better in 2015 if he stays healthy. He's good but he's not ELITE. Plenty of teams have players as good as Vernon Davis's brother.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Why is he a bum and what is the benefit of cutting him? That doesn't make any sense.

Dobson isn't a pick like Tavon Wilson where Bill reached. He was a legitimate 2nd rounder. To cut the cord on his after one good season and one bad season in which he barely got playing time is just really dumb.

Legit 2nd rounder from marshall? Dunno about that. He's a bum because he hasnt done a damn thing worth while in his 2 years. He cant stay healthy, reports say he runs his mouth, his drop rate was attrocious, and he was consistently outplayed by kt from day 1, and kt is lousy. I'll believe he has ability to play when i see it. He was supposed to be a guy who can go up and win jump balls, i havent seen that yet. Hea a waste of a roster spot, better to cut bait and move on.

Colasante

Legit 2nd rounder from marshall? Dunno about that. He's a bum because he hasnt done a damn thing worth while in his 2 years. He cant stay healthy, reports say he runs his mouth, his drop rate was attrocious, and he was consistently outplayed by kt from day 1, and kt is lousy. I'll believe he has ability to play when i see it. He was supposed to be a guy who can go up and win jump balls, i havent seen that yet. Hea a waste of a roster spot, better to cut bait and move on.

Do you even watch the Patriots play? Honestly. Dobson had a better rookie season than Kenbrell Thompkins. He had the best rookie season a wide receiver has had with Brady. He had a terrible second season because of his foot injury. He's done nothing worth a damn? He had 37 receptions for 519 yards and 4 touchdowns his first year. Alshon Jeffery had 24 receptions for 367 yards and 3 TDs his rookie year. Is Dobson Alshon Jeffery? No. He probably never will be. But to cut someone after one disappointing, injury-plagued season is idiotic. It's indicative of someone with tunnel vision who can only evaluate based on what they just saw with no independent thought or foresight.

MechDX

Need free agency to start. Hard to take many mock drafts seriously when you don't know what is going to happen in FA and you're picking right in the middle of the first round with a few major needs: QB, WR, OLB, ILB and CB

Still believe Mallett deal is done and just needs to be signed. Texans go CB in the first if Kareem Jackson doesn't resign if he does I can see them targeting WR with Dre's situation up in the air at this point. Could also swing to OLB and the team preparing for OTA's as if Clowney isn't there.

MechDX

Molly Grantham WBTV ‏@MollyGrantham · 8m8 minutes ago
#BREAKING: @DeAngeloRB tells me he's released from @Panthers. Done deal. Exclusive story - tonight at 11pm. pic.twitter.com/MaBe1peEgj

Panthers release DeAngelo Williams

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Do you even watch the Patriots play? Honestly. Dobson had a better rookie season than Kenbrell Thompkins. He had the best rookie season a wide receiver has had with Brady. He had a terrible second season because of his foot injury.

Yeah i did watch them play. Ultimately he was better than kt but thats not saying much at all. He Struggled to get open and he droppes everything thrown his way. He had some decent stretches, but that's Not enough to tell me if he can play.

Yay great rookie seaaon aaron, one which saw austin collie, thompkins, and dobson as his only options behind edelman, and hooman in gronks roll due to injury. They had no choice, otherwise he'd have been benched, so the whole rookie season thing is skewed. Where did his sophomore season rank amongst brady receivers? I'll eat crow if I'm wrong, but I'll be shocked if he emerges as much of anything.

Colasante

Yeah i did watch them play. Ultimately he was better than kt but thats not saying much at all. He Struggled to get open and he droppes everything thrown his way. He had some decent stretches, but that's Not enough to tell me if he can play.

Yay great rookie seaaon aaron, one which saw austin collie, thompkins, and dobson as his only options behind edelman, and hooman in gronks roll due to injury. They had no choice, otherwise he'd have been benched, so the whole rookie season thing is skewed. Where did his sophomore season rank amongst brady receivers? I'll eat crow if I'm wrong, but I'll be shocked if he emerges as much of anything.

I'm glad you're not a member of the Patriots scouting staff. You would have cut Julian Edelman every offseason from 2009-2013 because you have a complete inability to project what a player can be.

Bowser

Panthers release DeAngelo Williams

As expected:

After nine seasons, Carolina Panthers' running back DeAngleo Williams says he's been released by the Carolina Panthers.

Williams told WBTV exclusively that he was cut by the team last week during a meeting with Panthers head coach Ron Rivera and General Manager Dave Gettleman.

"We sat down and he told me 'The fact of the matter is we're going to have to release you'," Williams told Molly Grantham during a sit down conversation. "I said you know, 'Why?' and he said, 'because we don't run the ball enough. Just like you said back before the season started, we don't run the ball enough to keep you and both [Jonathan Stewart], so we're going to release you'."

Williams said the entire conversation lasted around ten minutes and was the last he's heard from the team.

"I don't feel bitter at all. [Stewart] had the hot hand at the end of the season. He's a great running back, obviously, uh, I don't feel bitter at all. It's a business," Williams said. "And that business comes back and reminds us year after year - whether it be Steve Smith, whether it be Jordan Gross, whether it be myself - it's going to happen to every guy in that locker room, so it doesn't bother me at all."

http://www.wbtv.com/story/28178745/...na-panthers?clienttype=generic&mobilecgbypass

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
I'm glad you're not a member of the Patriots scouting staff. You would have cut Julian Edelman every offseason from 2009-2013 because you have a complete inability to project what a player can be.

Yeah obviously the same thing. Edelman a project player who showed Ridiculous quickness and punt returning ability from day 1 vs. A reported diva, who struggles catching the ball, struggles to stay on the field, and really hasn't shown anything special at all... hell his "deep plays" were breakdowns on the defense. Taylor price flashed once too, so did Brandon tate... then they sucked. Edelman never sucked. He couldn't stay healthy, he groped someone (lol fondleman), but he was good to great in almost all his opportunities.

Patriots7

My last memory of Dennard is D. Thomas styling all over him in the 2013 AFCCG. And then I think Davante Adams exposed him during GB this year?
I don't know. I like Dennard, and hopefully he can rebound, but Ryan, Dennard, Arrington and Butler give me a lot of concern about the quality of our DB's after Revis/Browner.

I'm excited that we essentially have two more draft picks in Easley and Tyler Gaffney. Easley really impressed at DE this year. And Gaffney supposedly would be in contention as one of the top RB's of this class based off of his combine.

Don't know what I want. I feel like OL, DL, DE and LB are pretty much locks. I do like Kenny Bell and would love if we could snag him.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
Cap savings by cutting WIlliams is -$266k. $6.6M in dead money this year and $10M over the next three. It don't make no sense!

Top Bottom