• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread 2015 |OT2| Home of Baseball, Anime, Cricket, and Magic Johnson

Bowser

Cap savings by cutting WIlliams is -$266k. $6.6M in dead money this year and $10M over the next three. It don't make no sense!

He'll be designated as a June 1 cut which saves $2 million.

Jonathan Jones ‏@jjones9 6m6 minutes ago
DeAngelo Williams will certainly be designated as a post-June 1 cut, which will mean the Panthers clear $2 million in cap space

Colasante

Yeah obviously the same thing. Edelman a project player who showed Ridiculous quickness and punt returning ability from day 1 vs. A reported diva, who struggles catching the ball, struggles to stay on the field, and really hasn't shown anything special at all... hell his "deep plays" were breakdowns on the defense. Taylor price flashed once too, so did Brandon tate... then they sucked. Edelman never sucked. He couldn't stay healthy, he groped someone (lol fondleman), but he was good to great in almost all his opportunities.

pVbjplx.png

Uh huh. I'm sure you were gung-ho about Edelman after he posted his 235 yard season and was arrested for sexual assault. You're the same guy who decried the franchise after DeflateGate and said you couldn't root for them anymore and the most reactionary person on this board.

MechDX

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet · 12m12 minutes ago
The #Colts released DT Ricky Jean-Francois, who signed a 4-year, 22M deal in 2013.

Jason La Canfora ‏@JasonLaCanfora · 10m10 minutes ago
Colts announce release of DL Ricky Jean Francois. Can't help but wonder if they make moves to clear way for impending BAL DL Pernell McPhee

I hope we sign McPhee just to fuck with the Colts.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
pVbjplx.png

Uh huh. I'm sure you were gung-ho about Edelman after he posted his 235 yard season and was arrested for sexual assault. You're the same guy who decried the franchise after DeflateGate and said you couldn't root for them anymore. You're the most reactionary person on this board.

Im very reactionary and I've owned that. I also stated ill wait until more came out, but if it was true i don't know how to respond as a pats fan. The reporting was awful i panicked.

I never thought edelman should be cut out right, by i did lose faith in him meeting his potential. Guy always shined but would get injured immediately... perfect example is the ravens game. He grabs a td, spikes it aaaand hes gone, broken thumb some how. I never claimed to be gung ho all through either... i don't think anybody was after the injuries were piling up.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Really strange seeing everyone gang up on the preeminent Founding Father of NFL-GAF.

Still mad i posted proof?

I think it's funny i have colsante riled up over aaron dobson of all people. Bethel, taylor, chad, tate... all 2nd and 3rd year receivers who were let go. Pretty standard pattern for the posts. I wish he could break this distinction, but i simply don't see it.

ampere

Edelman was hurt a lot and did play D some of those years. I didn't even remember him playing D, guess he just wasn't one of the big names at the time. Mostly a punt returner in my mind.

Fun fact about Edelman!

Edelman himself has said his favorite given nickname is 'The Squirrel'. "Guys call me squirrel because one time on the sideline I was yelling 'Don't let me get squirrely out there.'"

MechDX

http://www.walterfootball.com/combinerumors.php

Staying with the New York Jets, I spoke with a league insider about the team's free agency plans. I was told the Jets intend to be big players in free agency, specifically on defense. I'm told they will target outside linebackers and cornerbacks as big-ticket items. They evidently will look for younger, taller corners. Potential free agents who fit that mold include Davon House, Chris Culliver and someone familiar to the team's new general manager Bob Maccagnan, Kareem Jackson.

Motherfucker

JABEE

I agree with msdstc. We should all be ashamed of being associated with the Patriots even if the association extends only to cheering for teams that are part of the same league as that cheating franchise.

Pats-GAF needs some more dissension. I feel like Gata has been talking to himself for the last 100 pages of NFL threads.

Colasante

Still mad i posted proof?

I think it's funny i have colsante riled up over aaron dobson of all people. Bethel, taylor, chad, tate... all 2nd and 3rd year receivers who were let go. Pretty standard pattern for the posts. I wish he could break this distinction, but i simply don't see it.

My problem is that you are using one injury-plagued season to make a broad judgment about a player, being overly reactionary as always.

Aaron Dobson is 6'3 and ran a 4.35 40. He posted numbers in his rookie season better than any rookie Patriot and better than several wide receivers who turned out to be great players. He had an injured foot that didn't allow him to practice much in training camp and limited his ability to separate in the rare instances he was able to get on the field, then suffered another injury and was put on IR. He had a horrible sophomore season. But player have bad seasons. You don't cut every player who had a bad season because that's idiotic and, again, overly reactionary.

Will he be good next season? Maybe, maybe not. Honestly, he probably won't. But there isn't a single thing Brian Tyms or Josh Boyce can do that Dobson can't do better, besides stay healthy. The Patriots aren't flush with competent receivers so to cut one after one bad season is just not smart team building.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
The best way to not get cut if you're on the Pats even when you're struggling is to be versatile.

special teams value gives bill a gigantic hard on. he lives brandon bolden for that reason.

I agree with msdstc. We should all be ashamed of being associated with the Patriots even if the association extends only to cheering for teams that are part of the same league as that cheating franchise.

Pats-GAF needs some more dissension. I feel like Gata has been talking to himself for the last 100 pages of NFL threads.

i would actually agree with this if the pats actually did try to deflate balls behind closed doors, it's far worse than spygate ( unless you believe national enquires matt walsh) which ofcourse jabbee is the president of the fanclub.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
My problem is that you are using one injury-plagued season to make a broad judgment about a player, being overly reactionary as always.

Aaron Dobson is 6'3 and ran a 4.35 40. He posted numbers in his rookie season better than any rookie Patriot and better than several wide receivers who turned out to be great players. He had an injured foot that didn't allow him to practice much in training camp and limited his ability to separate in the rare instances he was able to get on the field, then suffered another injury and was put on IR. He had a horrible sophomore season. But player have bad seasons. You don't cut every player who had a bad season because that's idiotic and, again, overly reactionary.

Will he be good next season? Maybe, maybe not. Honestly, he probably won't. But there isn't a single thing Brian Tyms or Josh Boyce can do that Dobson can't do better, besides stay healthy. The Patriots aren't flush with competent receivers so to cut one after one bad season is just not smart team building.

i thought he ran a 4.4 and scoring reports say he doesn't have enough speed for separation. either way 40s are useless to me for the most part, dhb says hi.

i think the guy is a bum never said he couldn't turn it around... i just don't see his role on this team. josh boyce and tyms? lol great bar, reach for the stars dobson, 2 guys already cut by the team's that drafted them. Im saying he'll get cut nott because i want him to, but the pats do it regularly, bill values every single roster spot to a fault. also he got injured in his first season as well as the 2nd multiple times. his drop rate was also disgusting.

Colasante

i thought he ran a 4.4 and scoring reports say he doesn't have enough speed for separation. either way 40s are useless to me for the most part, dhb says hi.

i think the guy is a bum never said he couldn't turn it around... i just don't see his role on this team. josh boyce and tyms? lol great bar, reach for the stars dobson, 2 guys already cut by the team's that drafted them. Im saying he'll get cut nott because i want him to, but the pats do it regularly, bill values every single roster spot to a fault. also he got injured in his first season as well as the 2nd multiple times. his drop rate was also disgusting.

Julian Edelman had 13 drops in 2013, 2nd most of any wide receiver in the league. He also battled injuries every single year until his breakout season. Also, you do realize that Dobson is only competing against the players on this team? If he's better than Josh Boyce and Brian Tyms, then he should have a roster spot over them. That's how it works. He's also only making $716,670. There's literally no reason to cut him whatsoever until better receivers than him join the team.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Also he's on a rookie deal and only people who truly suck get cut on those. He had flashes of brilliance that should keep him on the team for the foreseeable future.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Also he's on a rookie deal and only people who truly suck get cut on those. He had flashes of brilliance that should keep him on the team for the foreseeable future.

kt flashed several times and brady seemed to like him, he was let go.

Julian Edelman had 13 drops in 2013, 2nd most of any wide receiver in the league. He also battled injuries every single year until his breakout season. Also, you do realize that Dobson is only competing against the players on this team? If he's better than Josh Boyce and Brian Tyms, then he should have a roster spot over them. That's how it works.

he also was easily the best punt returner and saw the most targets. his drop rate while bad was still significantly better than dobsons from what i remember.

Yeah i get hes competing with them, but my point was your scraping the bottom of the barrel. all 3 of those guys are liable to be dropped, none of them are guarantees

Literally no Panthers fan is surprised by them designating D-Will as a June 1 cut.

He's been a faithful servant of the franchise and the community, but the production just doesn't match the pay anymore. The Panthers can't afford to pay players who spend more time on the training room table than on the field.

EDIT: Panthers beat writers are saying on Twitter that he hasn't been officially released probably because he's been undergoing rehab and the Panthers don't want to cut an injured player. Still will (probably) be cut soon though.

Colasante

Ryan Grigson is a pretty bad GM. Ricky Jean-Francois isn't a terrible player by any means, but that was a terrible contract. Same with LaRon Landry, who the Colts also cut this offseason. I'm glad his lucking into Luck is masking his poor decisions and keeping the Colts from being the upper echelon team they should be.

JABEE

Jason LaCanfora Report

Report: Adrian Peterson's Agent Got Into Altercation With Vikings Exec

According to the sources, Dogra engaged in a heated exchange with Vikings vice president of football operations Rob Brzezinski during which the agent made it clear that Peterson would never play there again. The incident took place during a time when outside parties were in the vicinity. Finally, former Tampa Bay general manager Mark Dominik intervened, separating the men and diffusing the escalating tension, sources said.

MechDX

Im getting the biggest kick out of reading the melodrama on panthers fans on the twitter account @CARfancomments

I hate casual fans on social media. So many flat out dumb comments.

I read the timeline of that account and "@CamNewtonsTowel" is a petty funny alt account. Everyone pray for the Tampa Bay Bucs organization today. Nothing is wrong, they just suck. 🙏"

JABEE

http://espn.go.com/blog/philadelphia-eagles/post/_/id/10625/report-eagles-front-runners-for-maxwell

Phil Sheridan said:
Pauline reported Friday he heard the Eagles were front-runners for Maxwell, who starts opposite Richard Sherman. On Monday, Pauline wrote to reinforce his original report.

"Since my posting Friday on the belief the Philadelphia Eagles are the front-runners for Byron Maxwell, additional sources have told me they agree with the assessment and feel Maxwell ends up with the team," Pauline wrote.

Reports that Maxwell is looking for about $10 million per year should not scare the Eagles off. They should have over $20 million in salary-cap space. Right now, they have cornerback Cary Williams on the books at $6.5 million, with a cap number of $8.1 million.

The Eagles could add Maxwell at a similar salary-cap number to Williams' number. If they cut ties with Williams, which might be their plan anyway, that would almost offset Maxwell. In effect, the Eagles would be trading Williams for Maxwell as far as their salary cap goes.

Or the Eagles could simply retain Williams. He was solid for the most part last season. He would likely look better with a more stable cornerback than Bradley Fletcher on the opposite side.

Maxwell has benefited from playing opposite Sherman and alongside safeties Earl Thomas and Kam Chancellor. Then again, that made Maxwell more likely to be targeted by teams that were actively avoiding Sherman's side of the field. In Philadelphia, Maxwell would be the cornerback that teams would hesitate to challenge.

Cross your fingers, Eagles-GAF.

http://www.philadelphiaeagles.com/v...rnerback/5074e56e-001c-4b6e-8d68-036d38b892e0

The Eagles Official Site is great for these breakdowns with Cosell and Bo Wulf

jakncoke

Banned
I hate casual fans on social media. So many flat out dumb comments.

I read the timeline of that account and "@CamNewtonsTowel" is a petty funny alt account. Everyone pray for the Tampa Bay Bucs organization today. Nothing is wrong, they just suck. 🙏"

Also team only forums i dont really care for. I like having a mix of fans to call out people when they go all in kas

Ye, its like they keep waiting for another 1500 18 td season that happened nearly 10 years ago

Just casuals who are too emotionally tied to the players. The same cats were crying last year when they released 89 coming off the worst non-Jimmy Clausen season in ten years.

The bigger lunacy are those fans who think that the Panthers are somehow a lock to sign Randall Cobb. There is little chance that GB lets Cobb walk.

EDIT: Or the fans that now think that the Panthers will draft Todd Gurley or Melvin Gordon with the 25th pick.

Top Bottom