• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread 2015 |OT2| Home of Baseball, Anime, Cricket, and Magic Johnson

Trey

People fall for this stupid shit every single offseason. This is not how you close the gap to NE, you close the gap through better coaching, better preparation, and better QB play. Everything else matters to some degree but you can't get there without those three things. Baffles me that there are still people out there stupid enough to believe that the Bills could compete for the division with NE because they brought in a RB.

Getting more talent always helps.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
aa_aqeatcrow.jpg

I'll take that I didn't specifically remember saying that. That being said if he makes it at the 53rd spot I honestly don't give a damn. I went on to say Bill values those roster spots to a fault, it's the same reason he's dropped guys in the past that had potential. At the time I was disappointed by the cutting of Taylor Price given his praise all pre-season, and that great game he had including that snag in the back of the endzone. I used to be a lot more optimistic about guys finally finding their untapped potential, but I've learned it's incredibly rare.

Two of the four teams in the AFCE don't have a QB. Whatever else they're doing is irrelevant. If the Jets draft Mariota things could get a little interesting, and Todd Bowles has potential as a HC.

That's why I said everything else matters to some degree. But it's a cart before the horse situation when the best QB on your roster is Matt Cassel.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive

It definitely does. Suh and Cameron will do some serious damage together as long as Cameron's age doesn't catch up to him. Suh can make anybody look good around him though likely. Also Felger and Mazz aren't buying into the jets at all right now with the whole Bmarsh thing. I think all 3 teams have improved (pending suh transaction). That doesn't mean their good, it just means it's harder for the pats.

AFC East finally looking somewhat decent.
I hope teams improve and at least put up a fight against New England
But fuck Dolphins do something..

Bills are the new jets, jets are still jets and dolphins are about to waste a ton of money on a player that won't get along with the coach, won't win us more games or get us in the playoffs, not sure where you think the afc east has gotten better

It would be cool if Suh somehow awoke the beast inside Dion Jordan. I am still pissed at how little an impact he has had for the Dolphins so far.

You mean how the coaches have failed to utilize him

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Bills are the new jets, jets are still jets and dolphins are about to waste a ton of money on a player that won't get along with the coach, won't win us more games or get us in the playoffs, not sure where you think the afc east has gotten better

Suh can definitely create havoc up front. The problem right now is the lack of weapons for tannehill. They will still have a ton of money tied up between Suh and Wallace, but a guy like Suh is worth it.... wallace not so much. The only way the Suh thing is really bad is if he goes all haynesworth. It's too bad Wake's prime years were wasted wrecking shit on his own.

Colasante

There's no doubt that Suh will make the Dolphins better and LeSean McCoy will make the Bills better, but I genuinely think the Jets are the team most likely to knock off the Patriots in the AFC East, even if Geno Smith is their quarterback. I'm afraid of Todd Bowles.

Trey

Two of the four teams in the AFCE don't have a QB. Whatever else they're doing is irrelevant. If the Jets draft Mariota things could get a little interesting, and Todd Bowles has potential as a HC.

That's why I said everything else matters to some degree. But it's a cart before the horse situation when the best QB on your roster is Matt Cassel.

More talent makes it easier to coach effectively, makes things easier on the QB, and makes preparation that much smoother.

Especially when you talk about true marvels at their positions like Suh. The QB position being the ultimate bottleneck is still absolutely true, but I don't think it's a stretch to say the rest of the AFC East teams loading up on talent can prove to be a threat to the Pats.

Speaking of talent, I really wish people would stop saying the Bills D was good without Alonso, therefore they won't miss him. It's such short term thinking. The key to great defenses is consistency across the seasons. Alonso could have been a fixture in the Bills D for a decade, which was his real value. If the Bills defense had any weakness last year, it was lbs in coverage, which was Kiko's strong suit.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
There's no doubt that Suh will make the Dolphins better and LeSean McCoy will make the Bills better, but I genuinely think the Jets are the team most likely to knock off the Patriots in the AFC East, even if Geno Smith is their quarterback. I'm afraid of Todd Bowles.

...You do realize in a year where we got to see Arizona's third string QB fail repeatedly and that awful game from an unprepared party boy on the Browns that Geno Smith probably had the worst game of any QB out there last year. I think I'd rather have EJ Manuel.

Suh can definitely create havoc up front. The problem right now is the lack of weapons for tannehill. They will still have a ton of money tied up between Suh and Wallace, but a guy like Suh is worth it.... wallace not so much. The only way the Suh thing is really bad is if he goes all haynesworth. It's too bad Wake's prime years were wasted wrecking shit on his own.

We have deeper issues on defense that need to be corrected, not that I'm compaing odrick to suh but he's good enough to start and comes a lot cheaper then suh would, we need linebackers and corners/safties before another tackle, not to mention all the needs on offense, getting suh is wasting money on a position that while it might be an upgrade (though I believe he'll end up like haynesworth) isn't a need right now. Plus he's a dirty ass thug and philbin hates character issues with players, it's bound to blow up. That's why he wants to get rid of wallace

msdstc

Incredibly Naive

2 things to watch. 1 given Decker and Marshall that's a decent tandom, obviously Geno is garbage, it's better than what he had, but he'll still make the big mistake. Does talent like this make them good enough to get over the hump? Both games were down to the wire last year. It also raises the question of luring Revis there. Obviously with Pieces starting to fall in place there does it make it more appealing? The front 7 is fierce for the jets but their secondary is in shambles. Revis is a huge piece of fixing a broken secondary.

2. Was it really just a rex ryan thing though. Out of all the coaches/teams he always gave the pats fits. Yeah the dolphins crushed us early on, but the jets were the least talented team in the division and they played the pats the toughest out of the bunch.

MechDX

Fuck Ryan Mallett, shit or get off the pot! Texans should just trade Watt at this point for a Herschel Walker type deal and completely rebuild.

#IBelieveInNothing2015

More talent makes it easier to coach effectively, makes things easier on the QB, and makes preparation that much smoother.

Especially when you talk about true marvels at their positions like Suh. The QB position being the ultimate bottleneck is still absolutely true, but I don't think it's a stretch to say the rest of the AFC East teams loading up on talent can prove to be a threat to the Pats.

Speaking of talent, I really wish people would stop saying the Bills D was good without Alonso, therefore they won't miss him. It's such short term thinking. The key to great defenses is consistency across the seasons. Alonso could have been a fixture in the Bills D for a decade, which was his real value. If the Bills defense had any weakness last year, it was lbs in coverage, which was Kiko's strong suit.
Forget about the rest of the roster, how many games do the Jets and Bills win if Geno and Cassel are the starters? 8, 9 at best? That's not going to win the division unless Brady finally falls off hard. The Dolphins have the best shot if Tannehill continues to develop but I'm sure they will find a way to shoot themselves in the foot.

You mean how the coaches have failed to utilize him
Yeah, that too. :(

Can't blame them for his suspensions, though.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Fuck Ryan Mallett, shit or get off the pot! Texans should just trade Watt at this point for a Herschel Walker type deal and completely rebuild.

#IBelieveInNothing2015

He's a free agent in a year where ten teams need a QB. Why wouldn't he test the market? Loyalty to a team he played 2 games for? Fuck that, see if someone stupid will pay him.

Trey

Forget about the rest of the roster, how many games do the Jets and Bills when if Geno and Cassel are the starters? 8, 9 at best? That's not going to win the division unless Brady finally falls off hard. The Dolphins have the best shot if Tannehill continues to develop but I'm sure they will find a way to shoot themselves in the foot.

Yeah, that too. :(

Can't blame them for his suspensions, though.

I'd feel better about it if the Bills offensive line was at least decent.

Colasante

...You do realize in a year where we got to see Arizona's third string QB fail repeatedly and that awful game from an unprepared party boy on the Browns that Geno Smith probably had the worst game of any QB out there last year. I think I'd rather have EJ Manuel.

Very true but I still think Geno has shown flashes that Manuel never has. Not that he was the sole reason why, but his games against the Patriots have always been close. There was the 30-27 win, 10-13 loss, 25-27 loss, and 16-17 loss, and he's looked decent to great in all of them. I think there's a kernel of talent there that Bowles and Gailey can work with.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Rapsheet says the Jets are going to release Harvin

ughh so conflicted on this. Talented, but injury prone and a major locker room cancer. Gotta imagine the pats are gonna take a hard run at him, especially if the price is right.

MechDX

He's a free agent in a year where ten teams need a QB. Why wouldn't he test the market? Loyalty to a team he played 2 games for? Fuck that, see if someone stupid will pay him.

Lose Mallett
Sign Hoyer
Start Fitzmagic
?????
Draft Hackenberg

TexansCycle.jpeg

Colasante

ughh so conflicted on this. Talented, but injury prone and a major locker room cancer. Gotta imagine the pats are gonna take a hard run at him, especially if the price is right.

I hope the Patriots sign Harvin, even though the danger signs are glaringly obvious and there's a 90% chance it ends terribly. That 10% chance of him finally becoming the player he looked like he was for that six week stretch in 2012 is awfully tempting, though.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Has there ever been a free agent that Pats fans don't think are going to be on the team?

Normally it's more of a pipe dream thing, however in this ccase a lot of reports have us linked to watching the Harvin situation.

edit- I also am pretty sure when the vikes were trading him we were linked.

Colasante

It's especially annoying when the entire fanbase acts like you do.

I also find it pretty annoying when Patriots fans clamor for every big name free agent that becomes available, but I do think the Harvin link is more legitimate. Belichick has had a fascination with him since he came out of Florida.

Top Bottom