• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread 2015 |OT2| Home of Baseball, Anime, Cricket, and Magic Johnson

eznark

Banned
Ted just needs to resign Bryan Bulaga and we are good.

goodjob.gif

MechDX

John McClain ‏@McClain_on_NFL · 4m4 minutes ago
Texans would like to have Mallett and Hoyer, who spent 3 years with OBrien at New England.

First it was Mallett. Then it was Hoyer. Now it is both? Shut up you fat, know nothing fuck!

JABEE

Maclin should be slotted at 9-9.5 million per with less guaranteed money than Cobb, but I know we would never get so lucky.

I really hope Maclin goes the Cobb route.

Patriots7

Vereen hasn't been exactly free of injury. Spiller should come cheaper than Vereen. Less of a pass catcher, but a better runner. The backfield right now is Blount, Bolden, Gray and White right now. White may be good, but he was basically red shirted.
Also Tyler Gaffney.

We've got a decent committee at RB.

rando14

Great decision for Cobb, really high chance he'll actually get to see the 3rd/4th years with ARod throwing it. Ball out in year 4, get the chance to sign a fat contract with the Vikings at age 28, and mail it in

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter · 3m3 minutes ago
Randall Cobb back to Green Bay on a 4-year, $40 million deal, per source.

GO PACK GO!! We did it EZ!

Was there actually doubt he would re-sign? I thought that was the biggest given this offseason.

Godslay

Banned
Smart move by Cobb.

Carr might be an up and comer, but why would you want to leave Rodgers if the Packers made you an offer that was respectable?

CB3

intangibles, motherfucker
Always seemed to me like Cobb was just using the Raiders to get what he wanted from the Packers. No one goes to Oakland unless they have to.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Always seemed to me like Cobb was just using the Raiders to get what he wanted from the Packers. No one goes to Oakland unless they have to.

I actually think that's changing this year. Lots of higher quality Free Agents, they have a decent QB and a good coach.

effzee

Maclin should be slotted at 9-9.5 million per with less guaranteed money than Cobb, but I know we would never get so lucky.

I really hope Maclin goes the Cobb route.

Why should he? He sees how DeSean was just dropped and LeSean was traded.

His stock is probably never going to be higher than what it is right now. He shouldn't offer the Eagles any discount.

And to comment about McCoy wanting a raise...well duh. The whole assumption since the minute the season ended was how his cap # is too high and they need to restructure which McCoy was open to do doing. That usually means re working it so you get more guaranteed money now but lower the cap hit.

McCoy didn't want a cut and probably expected a restructure that lowered this year's number but gave a big bonus.

Not too worried about paying Maxwell that much money. This secondary has stunk since the 07-08 season. Only concern is if he looked good cause of Sherman and the rest of the team or is he his own product.

If we aren't retaining offensive skill players because apparently scheme overcomes all, might as well throw money at improving a terrible secondary.

JABEE

I hope this means Maclin will come back. I hope this doesn't set the stage for a spurned Cobb bidder to hand out a huge, unmatchable deal to Maclin.

Edit: effzee, every team in the league that hands out backloaded deals, hands them out knowing the player will never get to the end of the deal without restructuring them or releasing them.

The players know it, the agents know it, and the teams know it.

McCoy was given that huge deal by Roseman following the huge Peterson extension. The value of RBs around the league has changed since then.

Lot of Jaguars fans are hurt tonight. I believe Cobb was the only player they were willing to overpay. I suspect Crabtree is next on their list, maybe Maclin but not at $11 million per year.

eznark

Banned

He got an extra $4m total, who knows if it's even guaranteed. I think he was just trying to see if anyone would give him $13m per and no one was. Always seemed to me like he was letting the league blow him away but that he was happy to play for the Packers offer.

MechDX

All this talk of wide receivers and the Texans still haven't released Andre yet. hhmmmm....

Jason La Canfora retweeted
Tennessee Titans ‏@TennesseeTitans · 2m2 minutes ago
The #Titans have agreed to terms on a multi-year contract with punter @brettkern6.

Congrats SF2fanatic!

brentech

Eh, his agent was always going to try to make the Packers feel pressure. Genuinly think Cobb, the player, wanted to stay in GB all along, but that's his agent's job to get the best he can get from the team he wants to be with.

I really want to retain Bulaga, but I really don't want them to pay too much. That or a short contract. Would love to see 2 seasons put together by him without long injury.

Packers generally retain their drafted players for a 2nd contract unless they really think the guy is replaceable.

Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter · 3m3 minutes ago
Randall Cobb back to Green Bay on a 4-year, $40 million deal, per source.

GO PACK GO!! We did it EZ!
MECH FOR PRESIDENT!

e: Totally agree that it always seemed like Cobb was willing to take a bit of a hometown discount to stay in GB, but it's just smart business sense to try and get a little more.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
They realized that was where the market for his caliber WR was going to get these next few years made a good call.

Tamanon

Banned
Lot of Jaguars fans are hurt tonight. I believe Cobb was the only player they were willing to overpay. I suspect Crabtree is next on their list, maybe Maclin but not at $11 million per year.

Meh, no big deal for me. I'm down with picking up Julius Thomas and getting a shot at Andre Johnson instead.

CB3

intangibles, motherfucker
I wouldnt be surprised to see Chip let Maclin walk if he wants a big contract. IT would be a mistake, but remember that Chip has 3 Oregon wide receivers on the roster behind Maclin. Those are his boys!

Good on Packers, now you just need to fix that trash OL. I never paid enough attention to which positions were particularly bad, which ones need to be replaced immediately? Depending on which spots, may or may not have a realistic chance of bolstering it much through the draft, obviously.

Saw the Saints weren't foolish enough to let Ingram go after he's finally come along but wondered how much the cap would have been a detriment. He was a guy I felt realistic for us to go after and is actually solid without being injury prone. Assuming we don't bite on Spiller or trade for AP, looks like we'll get Elly's compliment in the draft.

eznark

Banned
Are you being serious? Aaron was getting wrecked every game I saw and pretty sure I've seen people in here including yourself commenting on the OL letting him get hammered.

Three years ago maybe.

http://www.advancedfootballanalytics.com/index.php/home/stats/offensive-players/team-offensive-lines

The line was fucking excellent this past season. The bulk of Rodgers sacks (around 60%) are him holding onto the ball trying to make a play. They were terrible in week 1 but after that they really solidified. They'll probably improve significantly (if they bring Bulaga back) as Lindlsey has an entire off-season to work with a consistent squad.

Three years ago maybe.

http://www.advancedfootballanalytics.com/index.php/home/stats/offensive-players/team-offensive-lines

The line was fucking excellent this past season. The bulk of Rodgers sacks (around 60%) are him holding onto the ball trying to make a play.

I guess it was anecdotal evidence for me then. They let guys right through on a lot of plays I saw but I only see them when they play prime time or plays on the red zone channel. Based what I've seen, pretty surprised to see you guys say otherwise but you'd sure as hell know more than me. I suppose it's also true that if a OL is doing their job, you won't think about them much and only dwell on when they blow coverage. Unless it's your team, of course. I sure as hell notice when my OL does their job after having such an abysmal line for so many seasons in the past.

eznark

Banned
I guess it was anecdotal evidence for me then. They let guys right through on a lot of plays I saw but I only see them when they play prime time or plays on the red zone channel. Based what I've seen, pretty surprised to see you guys say otherwise but you'd sure as hell know more than me.

Defensive line and ILB is the Packers weakness

Defensive line and ILB is the Packers weakness

I've definitely noticed more holes on the defensive side but that's probably a disingenuous remark when you have an elite QB. ILB I noticed for sure, all the more emphasized by Clay playing some there... Speaking of Clay, I'd think he could use some help on the outside. FS is set but how's SS?

zychi

Banned
Today I learned that Dallas had the 24th ranked offensive line in the NFL

Based on what stats?

Amazon decided to close my account today because someone was trying to brute force into it. Instead of calling or emailing me, they just straight locked me out without notice. Illinois getting taxed on Amazon purchases now + this, they've lost me as a customer.

Top Bottom