• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread 2015 |OT2| Home of Baseball, Anime, Cricket, and Magic Johnson

Godslay

Banned
It's unheard to be able to manipulate 5 million in cap space. That would take a mathematical cap genius. That is surely the deal breaker vs another team backing up a Brink's truck..

I'm not saying it's a deal breaker.

It's a hurdle another team doesn't have to face, and even though it's a sunk cost I'm sure the Pats would be excited to pay $5M on top of the market rate. Which given Maxwell's progress is going to be pretty high.

It would easy to manipulate that money over the life of the contract. No doubt. Would do the Pats want to pay all that money to him? I doubt it.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
For Kas:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/03/08/detroits-final-offer-to-ndamukong-suh-wasnt-that-far-off/

The Lions were prepared to make Ndamukong Suh rich.

They just weren’t willing to make him quarterback-rich.

With news that Suh’s agreed (even though he can’t do that) to a six-year, $114 million deal with the Dolphins that includes $60 million in guarantees, the Lions offer pales, but not by that much.

According to Dave Birkett of the Detroit Free Press, the Lions’ final proposal to Suh was for an average of $17 million (which comes to $102 million total), with $58 million guaranteed.

That’s more than J.J. Watt’s deal with the Texans, and would have made Suh the highest-paid defensive player in the league.

In the end, it was clear Suh was looking to take the highest possible offer.

When you throw in sunshine, South Beach and the absence of state income tax, that was enough to lead him out of Detroit.

Exactly. I think the tax thing plays into it.

Lions are fine. Just get Fairley back.

I wouldn't say fine but I think we'll be alright. If Fairley stays healthy I think he'll have a good year. Vet DT+draft a rookie...should be fine. My concern is that there were plenty of games last season where the line didn't do dick to press the QB. Can't help but think that will increase without Suh.

Getting Tulluch back will help though. Once he went down we had to play more nickle with shitty players. And of course we now have the money to get a better starting CB.

effzee

ProFootballTalk ‏@ProFootballTalk · 3m3 minutes ago
Cap numbers for LeSean McCoy: $5.5M in 2015, $7.675M in 2016, $8.875M in 2017, $8.95M in 2018, $9.05M in 2019.

Fuck amazing deal for the bills and McCoy!

Eagles could have done the same and still signed Maxwell, McCourty, and Worilds. Fucking Chip.

KIKO better be worth it. Mariota better be the shit.

MechDX

Josina Anderson ‏@JosinaAnderson · 10m10 minutes ago
Source: Teams showing 'serious interest' in impending unrestricted free agent DT Terrance 'Pot Roast' Knighton include OAK, WAS, IND & CHI.

Go Raiders, go!!

MechDX

Jayson Braddock ‏@JaysonBraddock · 15s16 seconds ago
Byron Maxwell deal is done. Guarantee came in higher after more discussion. Byron Maxwell will become an Eagle Tuesday w/ $25 mil guaranteed

Jayson Braddock ‏@JaysonBraddock · 11s12 seconds ago
Deal also changed from 6 year $63 mil. It's now reportedly set to be a 5 year deal around $53 to 54 million. Byron Maxwell / Eagles

That's the rule for signing bonuses.

Not necessarily. Look at JJ Watt's deal. Set up differently, but dead cap heavy on the front end. $32M for 2014 in dead cap. Only $4.5M cap hit. Beyond that dead cap decreases on then cap rises.

Still had $28 dead for 2nd year tho. So only $4.5 mil came off the dead money.

In your example with Suh, by year 2 he would only have the $16 dead, so $44 would need to come off.

Watt only had $31 million fully guaranteed. Really gave the Texans a team friendly deal.

effzee

Jayson Braddock ‏@JaysonBraddock · 15s16 seconds ago
Byron Maxwell deal is done. Guarantee came in higher after more discussion. Byron Maxwell will become an Eagle Tuesday w/ $25 mil guaranteed

Don't care about the money, the teams always win out but he better be elite for us! Maybe he was making Dick look better!

6mIFz0z.jpg

Someone photoshop Suh with an eyepatch

sxyWYQm.jpg

Tom Penny

I'm not saying it's a deal breaker.

It's a hurdle another team doesn't have to face, and even though it's a sunk cost I'm sure the Pats would be excited to pay $5M on top of the market rate. Which given Maxwell's progress is going to be pretty high.

It would easy to manipulate that money over the life of the contract. No doubt. Would do the Pats want to pay all that money to him? I doubt it.

That 5 million has nil impact on what the Pats are willing to pay. For some strange reason you can't get that through your head. They have a number in mind and if Revis wants more he'd be gone with or without that 5 million on the books you claim makes a difference.

Suh gone this year. Taryl Austin will be gone next year (he'll no doubt get a head coaching job). We had a top 3 defense that carried us all season, and a shitty offense. If this offense doesn't step up big time this year...

According to Dave Birkett of the Detroit Free Press, the Lions’ final proposal to Suh was for an average of $17 million (which comes to $102 million total), with $58 million guaranteed.

Suh was looking to get PAID, even with the Lions offer he still would have been highest paid defensive player.

Bowser

Jayson Braddock ‏@JaysonBraddock 14m14 minutes ago
Deal also changed from 6 year $63 mil. It's now reportedly set to be a 5 year deal around $53 to 54 million. Byron Maxwell / Eagles

Godslay

Banned
Still had $28 dead for 2nd year tho. So only $4.5 mil came off the dead money.

In your example with Suh, by year 2 he would only have the $16 dead, so $44 would need to come off.

Watt only had $31 million fully guaranteed. Really gave the Texans a team friendly deal.

It's cumulative and I gave a bad example and was wrong.

Talib's deal is a good example:

$5M signing bonus prorated over 5 years.

First year guarantees total of $11.5 (base salary + roster bonus + signing bonus). If they cut him in 2014 $11.5M in dead cap.

From here on out they just have to pay the cumulative cost remaining on that signing bonus ($1M per year, if cut moves to dead cap immediately). So in Talib's case it would be:

$4M dead cap in year 2.
$3M dead cap in year 3.
$2M dead cap in year 4.
$1M dead cap in year 5.

That 5 million has nil impact on what the Pats are willing to pay. For some strange reason you can't get that through your head. They have a number in mind and if Revis wants more he'd be gone with or without that 5 million on the books you claim makes a difference.

Sure.

Do you think that the Pats have that $5M in mind when throwing out an offer? I bet they do. It has to factor in. It's too large to ignore.

MechDX

So they will keep a highly paid malcontent on the roster. Seem like the Texans are a in great spot with tons of leverage.

You can only go on what has been reported:

Andre's camp says the team will trade or cut
CBS report that their are 3 teams willing to give him $10 million a year
Texans have not actually said anything. Not even a leak

Even after the two signings yesterday they still have 8 million in cap space and by cutting Joseph they can get 8 more easily. All this without releasing Andre.

Im not saying they wont just release him but they do have some leverage. This is not over yet.

brentech

Magically goes to a team where he will maximize his take home pay. I will grant the dolphins are the best FL team but he could've taken less money to play with a true contender

Dare I say that the Dolphins are more legit than the Lions. Regardless of last year's records.

Scott Tolzien re-signs with #Packers for one year, $1.375 million, according to @lanceallan.

It's cumulative and I gave a bad example and was wrong.

Talib's deal is a good example:

$5M signing bonus prorated over 5 years.

First year guarantees total of $11.5 (base salary + roster bonus + signing bonus). If they cut him in 2014 $11.5M in dead cap.

From here on out they just have to pay the cumulative cost remaining on that signing bonus ($1M per year, if cut moves to dead cap immediately). So in Talib's case it would be:

$4M dead cap in year 2.
$3M dead cap in year 3.
$2M dead cap in year 4.
$1M dead cap in year 5.

Exactly.

Like EZ said though, it's probably not $60 million "fully guaranteed," for Suh. Will have to wait and see what the actual contract looks like. So I jumped the gun there a bit as well.

Top Bottom