• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread 2015 |OT2| Home of Baseball, Anime, Cricket, and Magic Johnson

Tamanon

Banned
I mean, when you have the opportunity to lock down a star like Mark Sanchez, and get rid of two bums like McCoy and Maclin, you have to take it, obviously.

effzee

Jeremy Maclin, like Jackson and McCoy, put up career years while in Chip Kelly's offense. I think we can let Chip see this offense through before making any conclusions. The one thing that is getting fixed is the defense, which is way more important IMO.

Just catching up on the news here but wtf is this shit?

Chip didn't make McCoy, Maclin, and or DeSean.

These guys were top talent before Chip ever got to Philly. Yes his schemes are helping them put up better #s but that doesn't mean you can just plug anyone in.

How has Cooper looked after his 1 decent season? How did Foles look in season 2? These guys are mediocre to just above average talent and it showed once teams had film on them. That won't be the issue with McCoy, DeSean, or Maclin.

Scheme can only take you so far if you don't have talented guys to execute it.

If they were willing to pay 9M for Maclin, why not 11M? Dude is a great locker room guy, has great hands, and runs precise routes. The team has loads of cap space room.

I was sort of thinking I understood what Chip was doing but have no clue now.

Maybe trading for the #1 pick which would include WR Evans from TB is true...

RBH

Did Julius Thomas sign?

Two sources indicating TE Julius Thomas is just about done/signed in Jacksonville
https://twitter.com/JasonPhilCole/status/574626150783270913

Congrats Gata
gladtomeetya.gif

God damn

Detroit Lions draft class said:
Round, Player, Where they are now

2010 Draft
1, Ndamukong Suh, Miami
1, Jahvid Best, Out of the league
3, Amari Spievey, Out of the league
4, Jason Fox, Miami
7, Willie Young, Chicago
7, Tim Toone, Out of the league

2011 Draft
1, Nick Fairley, Detroit if resigned/FA if not
2, Titus Young, Out of the league
2, Mikel Leshoure, FA
5, Doug Hogue, CFL
7, Johnny Culbreath, Out of the league

ampere

Belichick, for all of his talent as a coach and gm, is completely unable to find a quality receiver in the draft.

Deion Branch and recently Julian Edelman?

We don't tend to draft right off the board instant top of the league receivers, but we've developed some really solid guys. Also Gronk and Hernandez basically count as drafted receivers really

effzee

Bringing up Maclin's injury is especially stupid when as pro last season was the only time he was injured and missed the season.

If you can't retain Maclin cause of injury concerns then why trade for Kiko?

Fuck man this team went from DeSean, Maclin, and McCoy to Gore, Sproles, and Riley fucking Cooper.

Bread

Banned
Little Caesars bacon wrapped pizza to celebrate a great first week of being a full time waiter.

Feels good bros!

Duxxy3

Deion Branch and recently Julian Edelman?

We don't tend to draft right off the board instant top of the league receivers, but we've developed some really solid guys. Also Gronk and Hernandez basically count as drafted receivers really

Edelman was a QB and Branch was drafted 13 years ago. Bill is good at drafting TE's, but take a look at all of the WR's he has drafted. Bust after bust after bust.

The best receivers typically have huge egos - something Bill stays away from.

Pepiope

Just catching up on the news here but wtf is this shit?

Chip didn't make McCoy, Maclin, and or DeSean.

These guys were top talent before Chip ever got to Philly. Yes his schemes are helping them put up better #s but that doesn't mean you can just plug anyone in.

How has Cooper looked after his 1 decent season? How did Foles look in season 2? These guys are mediocre to just above average talent and it showed once teams had film on them. That won't be the issue with McCoy, DeSean, or Maclin.

Scheme can only take you so far if you don't have talented guys to execute it.

If they were willing to pay 9M for Maclin, why not 11M? Dude is a great locker room guy, has great hands, and runs precise routes. The team has loads of cap space room.

I was sort of thinking I understood what Chip was doing but have no clue now.

Maybe trading for the #1 pick which would include WR Evans from TB is true...
They didn't just put up better numbers, they put on their best numbers. I can't see them besting those numbers with their current teams. The Eagles still put up a ton of points without Foles last season, not to mention the back-up O-Line we had starting half the year. Sanchez came in and started relying on Matthews, and it worked until defenses figured out that he couldn't throw it accurately further than 10 yards. What I'm saying is that Chip is betting on his system working. Thus far, it has. The defense has been our Achilles heel, and we're fixing it. He deserves the benefit of the doubt here. Honestly though, Maclin wasn't worth 11M, and Chip felt the same way. There's still a long way till the season starts, let's see what moves are made at the WR position. It's Jeremy maclin, not Calvin Johnson.

ampere

Edelman was a QB and Branch was drafted 13 years ago. Bill is good at drafting TE's, but take a look at all of the WR's he has drafted. Bust after bust after bust.

The best receivers typically have huge egos - something Bill stays away from.

Yeah usually doesn't get the big ego guys. The slot game we play works well with catching backs too so we generally don't need big time WRs. But I agree it would help to have that threat there in addition to Gronk

rando14

Little Caesars bacon wrapped pizza to celebrate a great first week of being a full time waiter.

Feels good bros!

Congrats my man!! Make sure you save up some dough so you can fly out and visit me, Chan, and Chris Treyo in Sunny San Diego!!

Sounds like we might get Odrick. Still would like Pot Roast as well though. Still in it on Hudson as well. reports are it's down to us and KC.

Other targets

Mason Foster
Pernell McPhee
Rahim Moore

Jordan Cameron
Jermaine Gresham

Today's activity pretty much guarantees the Raiders go WR in the first round

And no trade down, in 1st at least.

Someone must really be butt hurt because it is nowhere near the same situation. When was the last time you had a winning season? Oh... 2002? Ouch. Nice try though.

Maybe get a sense of humor.

effzee

They didn't just put up better numbers, they put on their best numbers. I can't see them besting those numbers with their current teams. The Eagles still put up a ton of points without Foles last season, not to mention the back-up O-Line we had starting half the year. Sanchez came in and started relying on Matthews, and it worked until defenses figured out that he couldn't throw it accurately further than 10 yards. What I'm saying is that Chip is betting on his system working. Thus far, it has. The defense has been our Achilles heel, and we're fixing it. He deserves the benefit of the doubt here. Honestly though, Maclin wasn't worth 11M, and Chip felt the same way. There's still a long way till the season starts, let's see what moves are made at the WR position. It's Jeremy maclin, not Calvin Johnson.

Without Foles as if we went from Brady to Sanchez.

Foles and Sanchez both played about the same with similar completion % s, both only beat 1 good playoff team, and both were turnover machines.

Chip's system mostly elevated mediocre guys like Foles, Sanchez, and for 1 year Cooper.

Chip might be betting on his system working but so far its worked because of the elite talent he has had at the skill positions. McCoy routinely would make something out of nothing. DeSean drew doubles and could take the top off of any D. Maclin was the complete WR perfect to complement DeSean. You act like he took 3 no name scrubs and turned them into all pro players.

You can only rely on your scheme for so long without any talent to execute it.

and 11m isnt calvin johnson money

Exactly. We are about to severely overpay for Maxwell who even if he is great definitely benefitted from the scheme and other great players on the Seattle D. But that's ok?

Paying Maclin 9M per is ok but 11 isn't? 11M per year isn't CJ money.

Crabtree and Gore to replace Maclin and McCoy while paying them the same money. Moronic.

minx

Maybe get a sense of humor.

I had no clue that was an attempt to be funny. I apologize. Sarcasm and "jokes" are easily lost through text. Still though... In all seriousness, it has to be tough being a Raiders fan. It looks like you might finally have a franchise QB with a lot of money to surround him with talent and so far no one wants to become part of that team.

I need to know the numbers!

More confirmation:

"The #Patriots are keeping S Devin McCourty after a hard push from the #Jaguars, the #Eagles and the #Giants." - @RapSheet

effzee

So there goes the master plan. And in the process we lost out on Maclin, McCoy, and DeSean. For all three what do we have to show? Kiko? Pathetic.

What other good FA Safeties are available?

We are going to have to re-sign Nate Allen aren't we?

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
suck it?! you act like we were winning free agency or something

but go ahead and kick us while we are down

Honestly it's for the best. DMC is a great guy and a damn solid safety, but again he's a tier 2 receiver... he's tier 1 in this NFL right now given the landscape, but he's not worth breaking the bank, hopefully his deal is 8m or so.

Top Bottom