• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread 2015 |OT2| Home of Baseball, Anime, Cricket, and Magic Johnson

Honestly it's for the best. DMC is a great guy and a damn solid safety, but again he's a tier 2 receiver... he's tier 1 in this NFL right now given the landscape, but he's not worth breaking the bank, hopefully his deal is 8m or so.

we have been suffering at the safety position for what... 5 years now? on top of that safety has become a more valued position over the years and there just arent alot of great safety talent out there.

rando14

So there goes the master plan. And in the process we lost out on Maclin, McCoy, and DeSean. For all three what do we have to show? Kiko? Pathetic.

What other good FA Safeties are available?

We are going to have to re-sign Nate Allen aren't we?

Is Tashaun gipson a FA? He's pretty good

Who did he cut that he shouldn't have?

The correct reason it has been a disaster is because of Brad. Fucking. Jones.

Fire-able offense.
Wait, the Eagles signed Brad Jones?!?!?!

XUIPb.gif

I'm sorry, Eagles-GAF.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
we have been suffering at the safety position for what... 5 years now? on top of that safety has become a more valued position over the years and there just arent alot of great safety talent out there.

I just think in both cases- Maclin and DMC, it's the better decision- not the easy one, but the right one. Maclin is injury prone to another level, and DMC is good, but not that premier earl Thomas type.

Philly putting all of their eggs into building an FA superteam and then trading the draft for Mariota and failing miserably would be simultaneously tragic and hilarious.

I just think in both cases- Maclin and DMC, it's the better decision- not the easy one, but the right one. Maclin is injury prone to another level, and DMC is good, but not that premier earl Thomas type.

injury prone to another level!? wtf? do you mean Calvin Johnson?

Pepiope

Without Foles as if we went from Brady to Sanchez.

Foles and Sanchez both played about the same with similar completion % s, both only beat 1 good playoff team, and both were turnover machines.

Chip's system mostly elevated mediocre guys like Foles, Sanchez, and for 1 year Cooper.

Chip might be betting on his system working but so far its worked because of the elite talent he has had at the skill positions. McCoy routinely would make something out of nothing. DeSean drew doubles and could take the top off of any D. Maclin was the complete WR perfect to complement DeSean. You act like he took 3 no name scrubs and turned them into all pro players.

You can only rely on your scheme for so long without any talent to execute it.

Exactly. We are about to severely overpay for Maxwell who even if he is great definitely benefitted from the scheme and other great players on the Seattle D. But that's ok?

Paying Maclin 9M per is ok but 11 isn't? 11M per year isn't CJ money.

Crabtree and Gore to replace Maclin and McCoy while paying them the same money. Moronic.
McCoy had a down year last season, I think we both know that. He got the benefit of the doubt with the 2nd string line, but even when they came back his play didn't improve much.

For one, you're judging Nick Foles last season based off of his play behind a 2nd string O-Line. I do not think that is fair. After week 3 against Washington, many anointed him as the franchise QB because of the beating he took that game. Turns out if you continuously hit a QB hard enough, he'll begin to play scared, who knew?
Second, despite the injuries to the line and to Foles, we still managed to be 3rd in the NFL in PPG behind only DEN and GB. Defensively we ranked 22nd.

I think it's clear where the focus belongs this off-season. Chip's entire offense is based off of scheming his guys open, and it didn't fall apart once we let Jackson go. It wasn't going to fall apart after trading McCoy, and it's not going to happen after losing Maclin. I think there's a bit of overreaction going on. Maclin was never considered a #1 WR until last season under Chip.

Just catching up with some of this stuff. Maclin to KC? Kind of a big deal for them, given how little they had at WR...

Maybe the KC vs GB super bowl rematch is imminent!

effzee

Maclin is injury prone? Why does this narrative keep coming up?

He missed 1 season. He is as injury prone as big portion of the league. Came back strong and played his best. The Eagles knew all along he would be a FA and would demand top dollar considering the FA class.

If they really lost out to KC over 2 million and then lost on McCourty they have technically lost Maclin, McCoy, and DeSean all for Kiko who himself is coming off major knee surgery. 3 top offensive skill players for 1 LB who we hope bounces back.

Oh we have cap space but no one to give it to. Lurie must be happy to keep the money in his pocket.

Just catching up with some of this stuff. Maclin to KC?

Finally, the KC vs GB super bowl rematch is imminent!

pfft, according to some you guys got the wrong reciever from us. you got an injury prone fraud.

you should have tried to trade for riley cooper, only then would you ensure a superbowl visit, which we are destined for now since we kept Coop!

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Speculation of the money.

Which is kinda funny as that's slightly more than the cost to tag him.

They could have tagged him, worked out the deal during the season, and not had this headache. Then again someone would have overpaid Ghost.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
injury prone to another level!? wtf? do you mean Calvin Johnson?

Maclin is injury prone? Why does this narrative keep coming up?

He missed 1 season. He is as injury prone as big portion of the league. Came back strong and played his best. The Eagles knew all along he would be a FA and would demand top dollar considering the FA class.

If they really lost out to KC over 2 million and then lost on McCourty they have technically lost Maclin, McCoy, and DeSean all for Kiko who himself is coming off major knee surgery. 3 top offensive skill players for 1 LB who we hope bounces back.

Oh we have cap space but no one to give it to. Lurie must be happy to keep the money in his pocket.

I guess I haven't followed it closely enough, but it always seemed like the guy was battling some sort of issue. I remember at one point there were rumors he was potentially retiring due to lymphoma.

pfft, according to some you guys got the wrong reciever from us. you got an injury prone fraud.

you should have tried to trade for riley cooper, only then would you ensure a superbowl visit, which we are destined for now since we kept Coop!
My guys are the Packers, we got our WR back!

After last season was canceled for some mysterious reason (I don't remember, it's hazy), I'm looking forward to having football in the fall again!

As for the rest of your analysis, I think it is 100% on the mark and on second thought KC is doomed!

effzee

McCoy had a down year last season, I think we both know that. He got the benefit of the doubt with the 2nd string line, but even when they came back his play didn't improve much.

For one, you're judging Nick Foles last season based off of his play behind a 2nd string O-Line. I do not think that is fair. After week 3 against Washington, many anointed him as the franchise QB because of the beating he took that game. Turns out if you continuously hit a QB hard enough, he'll begin to play scared, who knew?
Second, despite the injuries to the line and to Foles, we still managed to be 3rd in the NFL in PPG behind only DEN and GB. Defensively we ranked 22nd.

Yeah going to call BS on all of this.

McCoy only had a down year to his monster year the season below. That's not shocking. he didn't go from 1600 yards to 160 yards. If you are going to excuse Foles shitty play for being behind the injured OLINE then how is it McCoy's fault? McCoy still had an extremely productive season and is considered by most all a top 3-5 RB in the game,

think it's clear where the focus belongs this off-season. Chip's entire offense is based off of scheming his guys open, and it didn't fall apart once we let Jackson go. It wasn't going to fall apart after trading McCoy, and it's not going to happen after losing Maclin. I think there's a bit of overreaction going on. Maclin was never considered a #1 WR until last season under Chip.

The offense didn't fall apart when DeSean left because they still had McCoy and Maclin coming back to take over for DeSean. You think if all we had last season was Cooper, Huff, and Mathews the offense would have just purred along? Your point would only make sense if you removed all 3 in one season together and the replacements made the offense work. That's not what happened.

I get what the focus is. But it shouldn't be all offense or all defense.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
"#Patriots S Devin McCourty will sign a 5-year, $47.5M contract, source said. Wow. And... turned down more elsewhere" - @RapSheet

Holy shit breaking the bank. A little more than I would've liked, seems like He pretty much negates any cap Vince Freed up. Hopefully they restructure mayo, should open up enough to bring on Revis.

@RVacchianoNYDN: The Giants, I'm told, made a legitimate, strong push to sign McCourty, but he always preferred a return to New England if things were close.

It's a big hole for us right now. I expect them to go hard at Rahim Moore and/or Ron Parker as mentioned.

Curious to see what kind of market Antrel Rolle sees when Tuesday comes around.

More numbers!

"Devin McCourty contract terms with Patriots, per source: 5 years, $47.5 million, including $28.5 million in total guarantees." - @MikeReiss

"Five years and $47.5M ($9.5M/yr) for McCourty would place him right between Thomas ($10M/yr) and Byrd ($9M/yr) in terms of AAV. Makes sense." - @PhilAPerry

Top Bottom