• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread 2015 |OT2| Home of Baseball, Anime, Cricket, and Magic Johnson

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Sources saying the Lions are all in on a big-name CB, and "they have the money to get one."

Revis was named, as was Cromartie.

Ugh. Big-name CB signings are not what I want to see.

Pepiope

Yeah going to call BS on all of this.

McCoy only had a down year to his monster year the season below. That's not shocking. he didn't go from 1600 yards to 160 yards. If you are going to excuse Foles shitty play for being behind the injured OLINE then how is it McCoy's fault? McCoy still had an extremely productive season and is considered by most all a top 3-5 RB in the game,
I said McCoy deserved the benefit of the doubt while playing with the back-ups. When the starters came back, McCoy's level of play remained the same.
Some of the his games this season were just abysmal though, despite the line.
21 for 74 yds
19 for 22 yds
10 for 17 yds
24 for 81 yds
17 for 50 yds

He began looking for homeruns all the time. He was turning into Willie Parker with his one long run and then continuously getting stopped at the LOS while ignoring a hole that would give him positive yardage.

The offense didn't fall apart when DeSean left because they still had McCoy and Maclin coming back to take over for DeSean. You think if all we had last season was Cooper, Huff, and Mathews the offense would have just purred along? Your point would only make sense if you removed all 3 in one season together and the replacements made the offense work. That's not what happened.

I get what the focus is. But it shouldn't be all offense or all defense.
FA hasn't even started yet. I doubt we're ignoring the offensive side of the ball. We're just getting rid of guys who aren't worth their price tag. Maclin was maybe worth it, but he's from Missouri. Can't blame the guy for going back home. A lot is still dependent on the guys we bring in, but I have 100% faith that we're going to be an above average offense next season. Call me an optimist.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Signing Revis would just bring Detroit back to their main problem. Big Three works for basketball teams, not Football.

jbug617

Banned
The teams that were in on McCourty:

Pats
Eagles
Giants
Jags
Titans

He would of been comfortable going to any of those teams. He said he had benchmarks on what he wanted on the contract and the Pats hit them. He said the goal was to win and get what he felt was fair for him and his family.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Revis to Detroit would take a big enough contract that Mayhew should be fired the moment it was signed.

Skrine was also one of the "big names" listed.

effzee

I said McCoy deserved the benefit of the doubt while playing with the back-ups. When the starters came back, McCoy's level of play remained the same.
Some of the his games this season were just abysmal.
21 for 74 yds
19 for 22 yds
10 for 17 yds
24 for 81 yds
17 for 50 yds

He began looking for homeruns all the time. He was turning into Willie Parker with his one long run and then continuously getting stopped at the LOS while ignoring a hole that would give him positive yardage.

FA hasn't even started yet. I doubt we're ignoring the offensive side of the ball. We're just getting rid of guys who aren't worth their price tag. A lot is still dependent on the guys we bring in, but I have 100% faith that we're going to be an above average offense next season. Call me an optimist.

Dude you just apologize and stick up for whatever move Chip and or the FO is making. No way in hell you'd be upset if McCoy was still on the team or if Maclin was signed even for 11M. But since they are not on the team you feel it's necessary to somehow make them seem expendable.

FA might not have begun but we know the guys who are FAs. Maclin was the best WR on the market plus a guy who fit Chip locker room culture wise. Maclin didn't justify his price tag? And Cooper has?

McCoy isn't worth his price tag because he had 1 season which wasn't as great as his career best? So in 1 year he went from career best awesome to totally overpaid had to be moved? To be replaced by Gore of all players? Just look at the new contract the bills offered him. Eagles could have done the same especially considering the money they will have to pay Gore.

In 2 seasons Chip has removed 3 weapons for 1 LB. Brilliant.

Whatever his master plan so far it isn't exactly working out. Considering they were actually intent on keeping Maclin and heavily pursuing McCourty they just struck out on both.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Still guessing anywhere from 18-20 mil average if it's not the pats. Pats probably max out at 15-16 mil (even that could be high).

I'm thinking (hoping), it would be 16 and the jets will go 18. How much can they save on Mayo if he restructures?

effzee

yea you seem to be handling these massive blows really well for a philly fan. which makes me think you're a FRAUD!!!!

Boo this man!

Yeah anyone Chip cuts, trades, and or let's leave via FA was over paid, injury prone, or on the downside of their career.

Anyone they bring in is totally worth overpaying!

Plinko

Much rather Detroit pay Iupati and upgrade the OL than Revis/Cromartie.

Pepiope

Dude you just apologize and stick up for whatever move Chip and or the FO is making. No way in hell you'd be upset if McCoy was still on the team or if Maclin was signed even for 11M. But since they are not on the team you feel it's necessary to somehow make them seem expendable.

FA might not have begun but we know the guys who are FAs. Maclin was the best WR on the market plus a guy who fit Chip locker room culture wise. Maclin didn't justify his price tag? And Cooper has?

McCoy isn't worth his price tag because he had season which wasn't as great as his career best? So in 1 year he went from career best awesome to totally overpaid had to be moved? To be replaced by Gore of all players? Just look at the new contract the bills offered him. Eagles could have done the same especially considering the money they will have to pay Gore.

In 2 seasons Chip has removed 3 weapons for 1 LB. Brilliant.

Whatever his master plan so far it isn't exactly working out. Considering they were actually intent on keeping Maclin and heavily pursuing McCourty they just struck out on both.
Well, I'm optimistic. I see no reason to get pissed off.

We moved McCoy to free up more cash for Maxwell, McCourty, Maclin, etc. McCoy turned into Kiko + Maxwell, and we lost out on Maclin and McCourty. We don't get every player we want. Maclin went back home, and McCourty obviously had a few loose screws in his head sticking with NE. Shit happens.

We still have the cash to look into Williams (CB), Worilds (OLB), Smith (WR), Crabtree (WR), etc etc etc. There are still a lot of good options out there. Signing a guy like Smith would certainly lessen the blow of Maclin for me. Hopefully we make a push for him.

The one thing we can no longer afford is mortgaging the future for MM. We have too many holes to fill to start trading all our picks away.

y2VAvkH.jpg

Poor guy should stop buying jerseys

Glad to see McCourty is back. Now we need Revis to get locked up. Without him the defense takes a big step back. Mayo is gonna count for over 10 mil against the cap, so he will likely restructure. Wouldn't be surprised if they add years to Solder and work on Amendola's contract.

Well, I'm optimistic. I see no reason to get pissed off.

We moved McCoy to free up more cash for Maxwell, McCourty, Maclin, etc. McCoy turned into Kiko + Maxwell, and we lost out on Maclin and McCourty. We don't get every player we want. Maclin went back home, and McCourty obviously had a few loose screws in his head sticking with NE. Shit happens.

We still have the cash to look into Williams (CB), Worilds (OLB), Smith (WR), Crabtree (WR), etc etc etc. There are still a lot of good options out there. Signing a guy like Smith would certainly lessen the blow of Maclin for me. Hopefully we make a push for him.

The one thing we can no longer afford is mortgaging the future for MM. We have too many holes to fill to start trading all our picks away.

which williams!?!?!?

smith!? you mean torrey smith? the one going to the 49ers?

and i dont want another one of the 49ers leftovers in crabtree

and there are reasons to be pissed, its why different eagles fans are pissed. just cause you dont seem to give a shit doesnt mean we dont either

JaMarco

Michael Giardi ‏@MikeGiardi 4s5 seconds ago
McCourty said he's spoken to Revis "I want him back here...also know it's a business."

Talk him down Devin!

Pepiope

which williams!?!?!?

and i dont want another one of the 49ers leftovers in crabtree

and the are reasons to be pissed, its why different eagles fans are pissed. just cause you dont seem to give a shit doesnt mean we dont either
Tramon Williams, GB. Reportedly interested in pairing him up with Maxwell. He's up there in age, but we can give him a couple smoothies.

I think we tend to overrate players in Philly. McCoy, Jackson, and Maclin had 1 playoff win between them. All of that offensive talent led us nowhere. This isn't the MLB, we have a cap, and the focus is being shifted to the defense, while Chip schemes the offense. I prefer that than giving up 30 PPG against any team with a competent QB. I'm not guaranteeing success, but it's at least worth a try. Let's get back to those early 2000 days where we had a top defense and a good offense. Put talent on the defensive side of the ball, and trust in the system on offense.

EDIT:
Smith to the 49ers is a done deal? I didn't see anything. Damn.

andthebeatgoeson

Offered Maclin 9M+ and he didn't want it.

Chip likes his WRs a bit bigger anyway. Reportedly looking at Crabtree now. He could do well here having an actual QB throwing him the football. I'm not extremely upset, but I would've preferred Mac.

The one time Andy Reid pays for a WR in FA, smh.

He wasn't worth the money he wanted. He's an injury concern and is older than Cobb. No way he deserves the same payday. Do we know how much KC threw his way?

I saw that on ESPN and was like, damn, he did it again. Andy has to be dragged into getting good receivers.

Trash and Stinkston.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
I'm getting a bit concerned that the Steelers haven't signed any of their own fa's. Brice McCain and Arthur Moats need to be locked up cheap.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I'm getting a bit concerned that the Steelers haven't signed any of their own fa's. Brice McCain and Arthur Moats need to be locked up cheap.

Have the Steelers ever done well at big ticket FA? They seemingly just pay their own guys until they are far too old and then get incredible production through no name free agents and the draft.

andthebeatgoeson

The Eagles also have to hope Ertz can step up. I hope they start getting him the ball more.

He didn't get a lot of targets until the end of the season.

Well, we should be okay. I don't think we'll run the ball as much, so his run blocking liabilities won't show up.

:(

Draxal

Don't know why Eagle fans are that upset over McCourty, Moore will be a great consolation prize.

If you strike out on both, that's when you start to panic.

Wonder if the Phins cut Jordan loose or deal him for a late rounder? Dude has been severely misused imo. Wouldn't mind taking a flyer on him.

Raiders also linked to Iupati now. Him, Hudson and Jackson would be a young formidable interior.

Of course it won't come to pass, but it's nice to dream.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
Have the Steelers ever done well at big ticket FA? They seemingly just pay their own guys until they are far too old and then get incredible production through no name free agents and the draft.

Kevin Greene. 1993.

But no, they don't ever go after big money guys.

It's a knee jerk reaction. There could be a possibility of being a blessing in disguise just like with Byrd and Jenkins. Still optimistic.

Wonder if the Phins cut Jordan loose or deal him for a late rounder? Dude has been severely misused imo. Wouldn't mind taking a flyer on him.

Raiders also linked to Iupati now. Him, Hudson and Jackson would be a young formidable interior.

Chances are we are switching him to LB

jergrah

No way Fins cut Jordan, would hurt the cap more than help. Hoping they move him to OLB this year.

This is how close it came to safety Devin McCourty not returning to the New England Patriots: As the negotiating process was winding down Sunday, McCourty and head coach Bill Belichick had a phone conversation in which McCourty thanked him for a great five years with the franchise.

Unfortunately, McCourty told him, it looked like he was ready to move on. The Eagles, Giants and Jaguars were three teams making the strongest push, with the Titans also in the mix, and there was a deal with another team that McCourty was ready to accept.

It was at that point that Belichick and the Patriots stepped up to levels they hadn't in the process. Their final offer of five years for $47.5 million with $28.5 million in total guarantees (a record number of total guarantees for a safety) swayed McCourty's decision at the last moment.

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-...up-at-last-moment-on-devin-mccourty-extension

Top Bottom