• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread 2015 |OT2| Home of Baseball, Anime, Cricket, and Magic Johnson

ShaneB

Hudson's contract is comparable to Alex Mack's last year, couple million more, but he is 5 years younger. Not that it matters, but we really didn't overpay imo.

Huge upgrade over wiz and we managed to hurt the Chiefs in the process(Sorry Shane).

Yeah, bummed to lose Hudson, but Chiefs couldn't pay that much for him. Big loss.

Bread

Banned
Never said they didn't have the money.

Just assuming that the $5M factors into decision making and figures that they present to him.

Additionally, if he makes it out to FA he won't be back. Just a guess. I could be wrong.
I'd rather look at the $5 mil cap hit as a deferred payment so they could get him without cap issues last season. Everyone knew he wouldn't be kept for the 2nd year of the deal.

Zero Hero

I wouldn't say that the Niners were imploding. Every team has that 2-4 year window of opportunity before the weight of those contracts breaks it up and/or people retire. It was a damn fun ride though. The team still has a good young base of players. Even with all the players leaving, we are still better than the NFC South.

I was there for Montana and Young. I was there for Garcia too. I was there when Ken Dorsey was supposed to be the one. Teams go up and down. That's how the NFL works.

Godslay

Banned
I'd rather look at the $5 mil cap hit as a deferred payment so they could get him without cap issues last season. Everyone knew he wouldn't be kept for the 2nd year of the deal.

That's one way to look at it.

So why do you guys get so worked up over me saying it's +$5M to Revis?

It's on the 2015 cap which is factually correct.

Bread

Banned

You can say it all you want, but let's not act like it will be the reason the Pats don't pay up to keep him.

dionysus

Yaldog
I decided to educate myself on the Saints cap situation.

http://www.nola.com/saints/index.ssf/2015/03/new_orleans_saints_still_20_mi.html

Things the Saints must address immediately to get under the salary cap

Convert Junior Galette's $12.5 million roster bonus to a signing bonus or address his contract in another way. The Saints are reportedly shopping Galette.
Address the contract of Jahri Evans, who has an $11 million cap hit in 2015. The Saints are exploring all options with Evans.
Address the contract of Curtis Lofton, who is reportedly on the trade block. Lofton has a $9.25 salary cap hit in 2015 and is due a $4.5 million roster bonus. The Saints could save $2.25 million by converting the roster bonus into a signing bonus.
Address the contracts of Ben Grubbs and David Hawthorne, both candidates for release or a pay cut
Convert Jimmy Graham's $5 million roster bonus into a signing bonus
NEEDS DOWN THE ROAD

Needs for the team that aren't immediately pressing

Re-sign or move on from pending free agents: Patrick Robinson, Travaris Cadet, Tyrunn Walker, Robert Meachem, Jonathan Goodwin, Ramon Humber, Brandon Deaderick, Moise Fokou and Bryce Harris.
Free up enough space to sign free agents and draft picks
Find a No. 2 cornerback through free agency or the draft. The Saints have reportedly inquired into some cornerbacks already.
Address the interior offensive line, namely the center and guard positions should the team move on from Grubbs, Evans, or Goodwin

The Saints were in basically the same cap situation last year and still signed Byrd, the difference is they are coming off a much much worse year. Loomis is a pretty good GM though it looks bleak going forward.

Colasante

I don't think anyone is worked up over what you're saying, you just keep bringing it up as if to pester people, which I don't really understand. Revis was paid $12M last year, but the cap hits were spread through two years so his hit last season was $7M and his hit this year is $5M. If that's the residual cost of having won the Super Bowl, so be it. I don't think anyone is upset about it, you're really the only one who keeps mentioning it.

The switch to the 3-4 is the only thing that makes sense with this lack of all news. A linebacking corps of Levy/Whitehead/Tulloch/van Noy might actually work. Although how well does Ansah transition to a 3-4?

This is what worries me about that. Maybe he can pull it off though.

eznark

Banned
Stop being a cunt. I said there was a possibility not that it would.

msMyRqr.gif

Maxim726X

Just want to say- Holy shit what a crazy couple of days it has been.

A lot of teams look drastically different already... Insanely active offseason so far.

Godslay

Banned
You can say it all you want, but let's not act like it will be the reason the Pats don't pay up to keep him.

It would certainly factor into the amount that they would likely to offer him. You guys act like that cap hit is funny money and exists in a vacuum since it was a bonus check. There is probably a point where the Pats say we can't go beyond this number because it's more than we are comfortable with, on top of paying out 3.5% of our cap in the form of a negotiation window.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
The switch to the 3-4 is the only thing that makes sense with this lack of all news. A linebacking corps of Levy/Whitehead/Tulloch/van Noy might actually work. Although how well does Ansah transition to a 3-4?

Ansah played almost every snap in college as a 3-4 DE. That was actually my main concern with them drafting him--he hadn't really played in a 4-3.

He is much more comfortable (and some argued better) playing in the 3-4 defense. When they drafted him, my first thought was that they would eventually move to a 3-4 and build the defense around him. He's that good.

Colasante

It would certainly factor into the amount that they would likely to offer him. You guys act like that cap hit is funny money and exists in a vacuum since it was a bonus check. There is probably a point where the Pats say we can't go beyond this number because it's more than we are comfortable with, on top of paying out 3.5% of our cap in the form of a negotiation window.

Okay, we get your point. Are you going to bring it up another 15 times before the free agency begins tomorrow?

Bread

Banned
You act like the Pats are going to Revis and saying, "Look we'll give you $13 million since you're already getting $5 from us. That's fair right!?". There is no competition between the offers if the Pats look at it that way, so why would we assume that's the case?

ampere

We were never going to be able to treat Revis as anything but an UFA this year. It was just extra private negotiating time

Do it.

Apparently Dwayne Bowe started following the official Patriots Twitter account today, then unfollowed it when someone mentioned it. Hmmm...

I assume the Pats do all of their contract negotiations through Twitter DMs. Crazy to think we're getting Dwayne Bowe and Andre Johnson.

Godslay

Banned
Okay, we get your point. Are you going to bring it up another 15 times before the free agency begins tomorrow?

More than likely now that I know you have been pestered.

You act like the Pats are going to Revis and saying, "Look we'll give you $13 million since you're already getting $5 from us. That's fair right!?". There is no competition between the offers if the Pats look at it that way, so why would we assume that's the case?

They had a distinct window where they could come in low like you suggest. Pats and Revis not working out a deal in that window tells me two things:

1. Patriots numbers don't align with what Revis values himself at. If they did, he would have renegotiated a deal by now.

2. Revis could come back to the Pats, but he will use FA as a way to inflate the Patriots numbers closer to where he wants them to be.

In both cases, it suggests that the Pats numbers are lower than what he wants. Does that $5M factor into the above? I think to some degree yes. You only have so much cap space, and that $5M doesn't exist on some cap island where it doesn't affect 2015.

So i have to turn my hate towards the Cardinals? Ewwwww man rams need to move to LA already so we can have a real rival. Hey FMT sorry about your kingdom burning you can always crash on our couch.

FMT's the dog in the cartoon where he's in a burning building, melting, and constantly saying "everything's fine" throughout

Colasante

Devin McCourty got a $15 million signing bonus on $47.5M deal, $28.5M guaranteed with $2.5M, $4.5M salaries in '15, '16 fully gteed. His 2015 cap hit is $6M.

That's not prohibitive at all. His cap hit would have been $9.6M if they had franchise tagged him.

Afrikan

Is there any freak Middle Linebackers in the draft? I think Borland will be a fine player, but I've just been spoiled by Willis for so long.. I want another one. :(

Murray is almost assuredly on the way out, if Frank fuckin gore can get over 7 mil guaranteed, and mccoy can get 26 guaranteed, Dallas is out on Murray. CJ Spiller is available but I dont know who they would have to cover his spot for 7 games that he'll inevitably miss. There's too many department stores and women in dallas for Joseph Randle to be trusted.

Parnell is gone. Free has been just as consistently inconsistent but with more injury problems so I dunno man

Sterling moore isn't coming back. That's good.

I remember 2012 and what a disaster that entire free agency and draft has been so maybe it's okay that they stay quiet

what the fuck are the Lions doing...

torrential flood of draft picks and franchise QB who cares

Top Bottom