• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread 2015 |OT2| Home of Baseball, Anime, Cricket, and Magic Johnson

Colasante

I hope Julius Thomas isn't Laurent Robinson 2.0 for the Jaguars. It is probably an overpayment, but the Jaguars had to spend and a good red zone tight end like Thomas could be a nice binkie for Bortles.

He's getting the same amount of money as Gronk?

6 years, $53M for Gronk vs. 5 years, $45M for Thomas.

Mike Garafolo ‏@MikeGarafolo 1m1 minute ago
Giants LB Jon Beason reworked his contract, as he indicated he likely would. He will remain with the team.

He was set to cost nearly 7 million against the cap. He was negotiating a pay cut. Looks like it happened.

Goddamn Niners
want-it-to-stop.gif

There's a point where York will sell the team right? Right?

Colasante

I don't know if it means he's definitively gone, but Chandler Jones and Brandon LaFell both posted photos of Vince Wilfork with messages about how they're going to miss him. I think Wilfork's pretty much confirmed to be gone at this point.

Godslay

Banned
AHAHAHAHA

Have to see the guts of the deal obviously but that's an over payment as of right now. Decent pick up for the Jags, on two conditions health and production between the 20s.

We all know he's a good redzone threat, but every TE in that price range is more well rounded in different ways than Julius.

His dad's an asshole, but good luck Julius.

MechDX

I don't know if it means he's definitively gone, but Chandler Jones and Brandon LaFell both posted photos of Vince Wilfork with messages about how they're going to miss him. I think Wilfork's pretty much confirmed to be gone at this point.

So then I said Vince! the damn BBQ here is unreal!

Seriously though, would love to have him for a couple years to mentor Nix

bionic77

Goddamn Niners
want-it-to-stop.gif

There's a point where York will sell the team right? Right?
Didn't York get the team by marrying Eddies ugly (assumption here) sister who had no interest in football so she let her dumb husband play with the team?

Just send him a bus of hookers and then give her the video of what follows. Maybe the next guy she married will be smart.

Have to see the guts of the deal obviously but that's an over payment as of right now. Decent pick up for the Jags, on two conditions health and production between the 20s.

We all know he's a good redzone threat, but every TE in that price range is more well rounded in different ways than Julius.

His dad's an asshole, but good luck Julius.

I almost wanted him to go to the Raiders just to watch his dad fume twice a year.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive

Was it not confirmed by his goodbye letter?

Gronk gets $54M over 6 and same average of $9M.

Gronk is significantly better across the board.

_woLf

Hi nfl gaf i think i am sobered up enough from the super bowl loss to post here again

All this free agent stuff has been pretty much terrible for seattle except the lynch thing, which we all knew was going to happen anyway. The only thing that can save me now is an Andre sighting in Seatac.

JT why don't you want a ring :(

rando14

Hi nfl gaf i think i am sobered up enough from the super bowl loss to post here again

All this free agent stuff has been pretty much terrible for seattle except the lynch thing, which we all knew was going to happen anyway. The only thing that can save me now is an Andre sighting in Seatac.

JT why don't you want a ring :(

Lol fret not brother, not signing JT was a good move!!

JNA

Banned
While the average man would die for her, for an Athlete, he's fucked a ton of hot chicks just like her, to him she's just another chick....

It just reminds me of that time when I heard Tony Parker cheated on Eva Longoria.

I mean...why? XD

I see what you saying but still, treating women like punching bags is something I will never understand.

JCizzle

I'm sure Kap will get busted doing a line Johnny Football style pretty soon and end up in rehab before the season starts. People are rebelling against the loss of Harbs :(

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
I think McKenzie knew better. Which is a good thing for them.

It would have been fun though.

That's an argument to have with Gata. I don't really care.

Only point I'm making is they overpaid. Don't get me wrong he's good, but he also was in a loaded corps and he had Peyton throwing to him. We'll see what happens when he changes QBs and is the main focus.

edit- and it's really not an argument to have I don't think anybody would debate Gronk is head and shoulders the best TE in the league.

he's not completely inept at pass blocking, just below average. he will hold his own against average pass rushers but against the better/elite guys he gets abused pretty badly. i would have liked to keep him :(

Good to hear and I think part of the problem was that he had a difficult time protecting a QB like Kap who runs so much. I think he'll have an easier time protecting Palmer. I wonder how Dockett is feeling now that the Niners have completely blown up. As much as I felt disdain for how things ended up with him, the guy was a Card for 10 years and great for nearly all of them. He was a loyal guy those years and an emotional leader and I'll miss him. Should have taken less money to stay home, Darnell! I wish the guy well, just not his team ;P

"Broncos not only didn't make an offer to TE Julius Thomas this offseason, they never made a call." - @MikeKlis

Good thing Peyton took that pay cut.

RBH

After investing five years and at least $50 million in an attempt to return the NFL to Los Angeles, AEG is abandoning plans for a downtown stadium in LA.

The sports and entertainment conglomerate is no longer in discussions with the NFL or any teams about the Farmers Field project, company officials told The Times on Monday. AEG was the onetime front-runner in the competition to bring professional football back to the nation’s second-largest market.

“I think it’s fair to say we have turned our attention to proceeding with an alternative development,” AEG Vice Chairman Ted Fikre said.

Fikre said that AEG has informed city officials that it will not seek an extension of an April 17 deadline to secure a team. The deadline was previously extended six months.

Although some NFL owners and executives long favored the site and AEG spent millions to gain the needed entitlements for a stadium, the company ultimately failed to generate sufficient interest from any teams.

Eric Grubman, NFL executive vice president and point man for the league on L.A., said the league has been "very interested" in the downtown site and has spent significant time with senior members of AEG. “We would always prefer to have an excellent site in the mix, but we recognize that it is not in our control.”

Rival concepts in Inglewood and Carson, both backed by NFL owners, have overshadowed Farmers Field this year.

Last month, the Inglewood City Council approved an 80,000-seat stadium, whose developers include St. Louis Rams owner Stan Kroenke, at the site of the old Hollywood Park racetrack. Meanwhile, supporters of a proposed stadium bankrolled by the San Diego Chargers and Oakland Raiders on a former landfill in Carson plan to start gathering signatures this week for a ballot initiative to move forward with the project.

In 2012, the City Council unanimously approved a deal with AEG that included using stadium revenue and other funds to finance a renovation of the Convention Center. L.A. officials had hoped that stadium revenue would help pay for a $350-million upgrade of the Convention Center.

“How to pay for it is a bigger challenge,” said Robert Ovrom, executive director of the Convention and Tourism Development Dept. “If we had the stadium, AEG would have paid for it. Without the stadium, we, the city, have to pay for it.”

AEG’s disclosure came less than a week after the company revealed plans to add a 755-room hotel development to L.A. Live.
http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-nfl-stadium-aeg-20150310-story.html

750x422

So Iupata who was the second best interior run blocker in all of football last season and 55th for pass protect will be replacing Fanaika who was 66th in run blocking and 71st in pass protection! UPFUCKINGRADE. Do you see why I'm excited FMT? Upgrade isn't strong enough a word. Even if he's still not that good at pass protection, being such a stud at run blocking is truly going to do wonders for our offense. I'm now really excited to see what RB we end up with as our power runner with Elly being an excellent complement.

Godslay

Banned
You have been taking some shots at me today.

I see you.

I should probably stop before you threaten to shoot me.

"Broncos not only didn't make an offer to TE Julius Thomas this offseason, they never made a call." - @MikeKlis

Good thing Peyton took that pay cut.

They offered him $8M average before season started last year. He didn't like it, and imo was generous considering DT and Sanders outplayed him as a WR and Green outplayed him as a typical TE over the course of the year. Peyton's money is going towards the OL.

RBH

The dream lives on!

527215_1280x720.jpg

B-TjQJiCIAAaFmv.jpg

B-TjQKTCYAArA1i.jpg

Carson councilman Albert Robles wore a jersey that was split down the middle between the Raiders and Chargers and said, "We're going to bring football back to Southern California, where we need it, where we want it."

Godslay

Banned
There must've been some in house politics or drama with Julius if they didn't even make a phone call.

When DT said someone in the Broncos said they were afraid to play in NE in a playoff game, that was supposedly Julius. Gave up before even playing the Colts game.

In addition to that a couple of Broncos players anonymously said he doesn't love football, only money, and will not go unless 100%. Which apparently pissed off some guys who were banged up and still played.

Good luck to him though. He was fun to watch.

Edit:

Shannon knows what's up.

@ShannonSharpe: Check the injury history. Plus he quit last yr. Yes I said what everybody in Denver wanted to say...

So the Giants converted 3.3 million worth of Beason's salary into incentives he has to meet with playing time and performance. Brought his cap down from 7.4 million to 4.1 million.

Also:

Ebenezer Samuel ‏@ebenezersamuel 4m4 minutes ago
Sounds like the Giants are very serious contenders for Shane Vereen, according to a source. Terrific backfield receiver and solid blocker.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
So the Rams, Raiders, AND Chargers are all moving to LA, right?

The city of Carson is making a hard push. But at the end of the day Stan Kroenke (sp?) already owns the property in Inglewood. Both cities are close by and in South LA.

It'll be a battle between the two cities and their respective politicians but Rams owner already has owns the property and can get development going faster than going through the city of Carson, getting permits etc.

From a travel perspective the Carson location is perfect because of the proximity of freeways. So you can get the bandwagon fans from West LA plus hardcore South LA+Riverside fans.

Development for Inglewood would be quicker so I think Kroenke and the Rams and Chargers move. I'd be shocked if we get 3 teams so the Raiders to San Antonio?

Top Bottom