• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread 2015 |OT2| Home of Baseball, Anime, Cricket, and Magic Johnson

eznark

Banned
Jay Cutler will QB Bears in 2015

fErcqWD.gif

rodgersftw.gif

brentech

Is Swearinger not one of the worst people. He's not even particularly good. How awful. JJ Watt would probably win MVP if he wasn't on the roster.

#BlameSwearinger

MechDX

Evan Silva predicts top 50 FA landing spots

2 for the Texans:

39. Defensive lineman Vince Wilfork -- Wilfork's market has been silent since New England declined his option last Thursday, sending him to free agency. The Texans are needy on the nose. Wilfork has history with coach Bill O'Brien and would fit neatly into DC Romeo Crennel's Patriots-style scheme.

Free Agent Forecast: Texans on a three-year, $12 million contract.

DO want.

49. Wide receiver Michael Crabtree -- Crabtree has a big name, but has been an NFL disappointment aside from one isolated eight-game stretch in 2012. He tore his Achilles' during the 2013 offseason and hasn't looked like the same player since, dropping passes and struggling to generate yards after catch. I have no idea where Crabtree will land, but Houston would make some sense as a possession-receiver complement to DeAndre Hopkins.

Free Agent Forecast: Texans on a one-year, $4 million contract.

Don't want

Spinluck

When are ya'll gonna get a real D line to stop the run though

Whenever you turn yourself into the alt police, gata.

Or once Grigson realizes we have a fuckton of money and that we should use it where we are clearly hurting.

I just feel like going after a 4-3 DE feels worse and out of scheme vs. going after a man coverage DB, which fits scheme perfectly.

I don't mind beefing up the front seven, because I agree that is a bigger concern (other than safety). Just not sure how I feel about going after guys like Hardy and Fairley, who don't fit scheme. I guess Robert Mathis figured it out...I just don't know.

So frustrating to have such a great young QB and not be able to figure out the trenches. Back in Peyton's days, with those big contracts, I can better understand it. But now? Just more frustrating.

Hm, I can get that sentiment, but I think they can fit or would be better than what we have now. Werner is a 4-3 guy who has yet to make the transition, and has only been good at disrupting outside runs. Whatever adds more depth I'm all for it, with Mathis we continued to play to his strengths which is why he was having success (besides the PED use). I'm tired of seeing desperation moves such as signing Sean Phillips (lol). We need some kind of solidity on defense. I just hope we don't throw a lot of dough Hardy's way.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage

It's like every single other GM in the NFC North is secretly working for GB. Letting Suh walk and Fairley walk, Bears sticking with Cutler, Vikings being Vikings, etc.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Yay Jets lost out on Hoyer.

Surprised to see Bilal Powell coming back but thats fine by me. Don't have a problem with him as the 2nd back but really hes going to be the 1st back at some point when Ivory inevitably gets injured

LevelNth

Banned
Seems Torrey Smith's signing with the Niners is all but finalized. Rumor is it will be similar to Cobb's deal but a mil or two less each year.

Hm, I can get that sentiment, but I think they can fit or would be better than what we have now. Werner is a 4-3 guy who has yet to make the transition, and has only been good at disrupting outside runs. Whatever adds more depth I'm all for it, with Mathis we continued to play to his strengths which is why he was having success (besides the PED use). I'm tired of seeing desperation moves such as signing Sean Phillips (lol). We need some kind of solidity on defense. I just hope we don't throw a lot of dough Hardy's way.
I actually would be on board with Werner moving to Walden's "spot" as the non-rush DE, because I thought he was great against the run and playing that role and struggled in the rush spot.

I do agree about needing depth, not wanting desperate moves, and not sending a lot of money Hardy's way. Maybe Hardy would be better at changing to rush and that would be good.

Link

The Autumn Wind

Surprised to see Bilal Powell coming back but thats fine by me. Don't have a problem with him as the 2nd back but really hes going to be the 1st back at some point when Ivory inevitably gets injured
I was glad to read the Jets resigned Powell. I really like what I've seen from him and I think he's only going to get better.

MechDX

You realize since we signed Hoyer it means this guy gets free and the Jets and Gailey want him bad right?

Ryan+Fitzpatrick+Houston+Texans+v+Denver+Broncos+CF2v1Wg4T4rl.jpg

Dega

Eeny Meenie Penis
You realize since we signed Hoyer it means this guy gets free and the Jets and Gailey want him bad right?

http://www4.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Ryan+Fitzpatrick+Houston+Texans+v+Denver+Broncos+CF2v1Wg4T4rl.jpg[img][/QUOTE]

Case is staying right?

effzee

Hahaha we lost out on both Gore and Dre?

I didn't even want Gore but Chip is striking out big on his first FA day. Wanted McCourty, Gore, Dre and probably offered more money than most all other teams and lost out.

I'm sure 90% of it related to wanting to win now and playing with Luck but I'm sure cutting and trading players probably doesn't sit well with some guys. Especially when I'm sure they call other ex-Eagles and get word on what's going on. When guys like Cooper fit the #culture but Maclin, Desean, and McCoy don't fit why would guys be happy to come here?

Man I want to be so excited about Maxwell but without a legit safety plus the loss of Maclin and McCoy I just can't get excited. I know it's day 1 and the draft is still ahead but spirits dampened.

effzee

Thinking some more. Say Eagles don't get Mariota, then going into the season Eagles will have Sanchez backing up Foles but making more money than him.

Doesn't make sense. I guess if they don't get Mariota and or trade Foles, then they will have to redo his contract. Can't imagine Foles being ok starting getting paid 800k or something while Sanchez makes millions.

Fuck I'd rather have Vick back backing Foles.

Colasante

I didn't even want Gore but Chip is striking out big on his first FA day. Wanted McCourty, Gore, Dre and probably offered more money than most all other teams and lost out.

I'm sure 90% of it related to wanting to win now and playing with Luck but I'm sure cutting and trading players probably doesn't sit well with some guys. Especially when I'm sure they call other ex-Eagles and get word on what's going on. When guys like Cooper fit the #culture but Maclin, Desean, and McCoy don't fit why would guys be happy to come here?

Man I want to be so excited about Maxwell but without a legit safety plus the loss of Maclin and McCoy I just can't get excited. I know it's day 1 and the draft is still ahead but spirits dampened.

Chip believes he can manufacture offense without having to pay players $11M+ per year. I don't think there's anything wrong with that mentality, if he's correct.

Cutting and trading players, if done in the process of team building, shouldn't scare off free agents. That doesn't make any sense. The Patriots and Seahawks dispassionately cut players that don't fit the culture, scheme, or who have regressed beyond their contract, and they're consistent winners. At the end of the day, winning is the cure-all. And Gore and Johnson see a better chance to win with Luck than Foles.

Thinking some more. Say Eagles don't get Mariota, then going into the season Eagles will have Sanchez backing up Foles but making more money than him.

Doesn't make sense. I guess if they don't get Mariota and or trade Foles, then they will have to redo his contract. Can't imagine Foles being ok starting getting paid 800k or something while Sanchez makes millions.

I'm sure that Russell Wilson has been making less than Tarvaris Jackson. It's the nature of the business when you're on the rookie contract. If he's unhappy with starting over Sanchez and making less than him, then he can go to the bench where he can feel better about his relative worth.

HawkeyeIC

Just roll with the Sanchize

Link

The Autumn Wind

Plenty of quarterbacks in their rookie contracts are in that situation, having a veteran backup making more than they do. It's not some unprecedented case.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
Hooters is making a last second push to sign Greg.

Darren Rovell ‏@darrenrovell 24m24 minutes ago

Hooters selling bacon wrapped wings (6 for $8.99) through end of NCAA Tournament (April 6)

B_vKf2LUsAA1m0P.png

Spinluck

Al Bundy thread is making me wanna watch Married With Children again.

I actually would be on board with Werner moving to Walden's "spot" as the non-rush DE, because I thought he was great against the run and playing that role and struggled in the rush spot.

I do agree about needing depth, not wanting desperate moves, and not sending a lot of money Hardy's way. Maybe Hardy would be better at changing to rush and that would be good.

Yeah Werner really has to prove himself this year. Make or break for him.

MechDX

John McClain ‏@McClain_on_NFL · 2m2 minutes ago
Andre Johnson may very well end up in Indy but I've been assured by 3 close to him that he's still working out in Miami this morning.

The opposite of what pancakes says is happening. So Dre is obviously In Seattle drinking coffee

Why do you keep assuming Chip does not want Maclin? It's not like he was cut from the team. I am sure Chip would love to have him around. Maclin wants more money than the the Eagles have to give him, and he wants to play for Reid in his hometown. How is that Chips fault? The McCoy trade was a good trade no matter how you look at it. DeSean was a year ago and the team finished with the same record without him. I really do not get your point of view.

Why would the team pay more for Foles than Sanchez when Foles is still on his rookie contract? Does that make sense to you?

Colasante

Patriots have shown interest in Daniel Thomas. Do not want.

Also, the Colts signed Trent Cole. They're really going all in on these veteran players this offseason.

Top Bottom