• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread 2015 |OT2| Home of Baseball, Anime, Cricket, and Magic Johnson

LevelNth

Banned
Torrey, Quambo, Vernon, Ellington in the slot, Hyde in the back, a new non-retarded O scheme.

In Kap's make or break year I'm glad we're really going to see if it's make or break.

rando14

195522.jpg

cdyhybrid

Doug Farrar ‏@SI_DougFarrar 9s9 seconds ago
John Schneider brought up an interesting point -- in Graham and Marshawn, Seahawks have two of the three top TD guys since 2011.

Also PFF has Graham as a comparable blocker to Luke Willson, so we're not really losing anything there!

Duxxy3

ras-i-dowling, terrence wheatley, jonathan wilhite, darius butler, devin Mccourty (the corner yes he was AWFUL), and the incomparable ellis hobbs. I have a feeling Logan Ryan will fit nicely with this bunch soon.

The secondary coaches suck. Only reason the secondary was good this year is because McCourty and Revis basically ran the secondary.

Colasante

The silver lining to having no cornerbacks is that Revis, Browner, and Wilfork are all eligible for the Patriots' compensatory pick equation. Patriots will probably get a 3rd round pick for Revis next year.

MechDX

The silver lining to having no cornerbacks is that Revis, Browner, and Wilfork are all eligible for the Patriots' compensatory pick equation. Patriots will probably get a 3rd round pick for Revis next year.

Wilfork was released wasn't he? Don't get comp picks for releases

msdstc

Incredibly Naive

The bad news is that Brady's last years here will be wasted.

Duxxy3

Yeah those guys went on to have excellent careers elsewhere.

They were ruined because they stayed in new england too long.

Look at how those players played in their first year and then compare it to their second year. Always a massive drop off. They come into the league and play on their instincts the first season. Then the shitty secondary coaches coach them down the second year.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
They were ruined because they stayed in new england too long.

Look at how those players played in their first year and then compare it to their second year. Always a massive drop off. They come into the league and play on their instincts the first season. Then the shitty secondary coaches coach them down the second year.

Second year-itis if you will, is something that happens fairly often with corners from what I've seen.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
No, they declined to exercise his option, which is the same thing that happened to Revis and Browner.

Or not. It's literally two hours into free agency, I'm not going to say the sky is falling.

I was answering in reference to letting revis, browner, and Wilfork go. So in the 3 MAYBE 4 year window with brady they're going to rebuild this entire secondary? One that they failed to rebuild for 7 years through countless free-agents and draft picks?

Cybit

FGC Waterboy

I don't think so; Revis had a player option that was declined, as was Browner, and Wilfork was cut. None of them were actually free agents.

Colasante

I was answering in reference to letting revis, browner, and Wilfork go. So in the 3 MAYBE 4 year window with brady they're going to rebuild this entire secondary? One that they failed to rebuild for 7 years through countless free-agents and draft picks?

Sure. Why not? They had Revis and Browner for one season and were in the AFC championship game the past 4 years. Just because a move makes the team worse doesn't mean it's an automatic deathknell for their Super Bowl chances. Stop being so damn reactionary to every little thing.

I don't think so; Revis had a player option that was declined, as was Browner, and Wilfork was cut. None of them were actually free agents.

Wilfork wasn't cut. His option wasn't exercised. He's an UFA according to NFL records: https://nfllabor.files.wordpress.com/2015/03/03-10-15-free-agency-begins-5.pdf

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Sure. Why not? They had Revis and Browner for one season and were in the AFC championship game the past 4 years. Just because a move makes the team worse doesn't mean it's an automatic deathknell for their Super Bowl chances. Stop being so damn reactionary to every little thing.

Wilfork wasn't cut. His option wasn't exercised. He's an UFA according to NFL records: https://nfllabor.files.wordpress.com/2015/03/03-10-15-free-agency-begins-5.pdf

Lol losing your top 2 corners and your best D-lineman are little things.

I'm not being reactionary. They were JUST good enough to win this year. They downgraded MASSIVELY across the board and other teams got better. It is increasingly unlikely they win again with Brady. Like I said I'm at peace with that, he got his 4th he cemented his place, but it's unfortunate knowing they managed it how they have.

Colasante

The reason I wasn't all that excited about McCourty is because it means nothing without Revis. We have all seen that secondary and it's one that doesn't win a SB.

They were a play away from winning the Super Bowl in 2011, with Antwaun Molden, Devin McCourty, and Julian Edelman as cornerbacks. Again, it's literally two hours into free agency, the team as it's constructed now is so far away from the team it will be in January.

I'm not being reactionary. They were JUST good enough to win this year. They downgraded MASSIVELY across the board and other teams got better. It is increasingly unlikely they win again with Brady. Like I said I'm at peace with that, he got his 4th he cemented his place, but it's unfortunate knowing they managed it how they have.

Really, it's not reactionary to say that two hours into free agency, the Patriots have squandered their opportunity to win Super Bowls for the next 4 years? Come the fuck on. Get a grip.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
They were a play away from winning the Super Bowl in 2011, with Antwaun Molden, Devin McCourty, and Julian Edelman as cornerbacks. Again, it's literally two hours into free agency, the team as it's constructed now is so far away from the team it will be in January.

Alright so I'll agree with you in that- they will probably walk into the AFCCG again. The lack of competition has been nice to the pats in terms of getting there. This year they were capable of overcoming those type of issues and actually closing games out. The chances of repeating are plummeting.

Cybit

FGC Waterboy

Pats should be easy favorites to get into SB next year - Denver is flat out worse; Colts still don't have a defense (though if Revis & Andre Johnson sign there, they might be a new contender), Baltimore & Pitt are losing a bunch of people, and Buffalo / Houston still don't have a QB. NE also has a top 5 easiest schedule currently; NE would have to underperform severely / be hit by injuries in order to not make AFC Championship.

Only major thing I could see changing this is if Buffalo / Houston manages to pull a QB out of a hat or Indy manages to grab Revis on top of it all.

jbug617

Banned

so your saying the Pats are done without knowing what is going to happen

Ravens projected picks.......it's going to be ok, right?

Round 1 (26)
Round 2 (26)
Round 3 (26)
Round 4 (23)
Round 4 (26)
Round 4 (34)
Round 5 (22)
Round 5 (34)
Round 6 (28)
Round 6 (34)
Round 7 (34)

Compensatory picks projected by OverTheCap.com which believes we'll get a 4th for Arthur Jones, a 5th for Michael Oher, a 6th for Corey Graham, and a 7th for Ed Dickson. Compensatory picks all put at #34, although actual location could be anywhere between #33 and #39ish.

Hope so. Saints have needed a strong center for several years. There was a lot of pressure getting to Brees up the middle.

when he is healthy, I honestly still think he is. Problem is he hasnt been healthy and has had some very worrisome injuries. He is too tall to block very well in addition. Perhaps you have a point there as a complete tight end.
The problem with Graham is that he was such a mismatch, that Brees basically forced the ball to him, and when teams found a way to double team him out of the game our offense became hugely one dimensional. Everyone could see how much the offense had regressed the past couple of years. We were a lot better with roleplayer blocking tight ends and a stud Oline. I think Payton wants to return to what was working in the earlier years.

Im not one of those people who panics when players leave so Im sorry if I didnt produce the reaction yall were expecting.
I love you guys.

*squeezes everybody

Well said on both counts

squicken

Eagles acquire Sam Bradford and 5th round draft pick in 2015 from Rams for QB Nick Foles, 4th round pick in 2015 and 2nd round pick in 2016.
-Adam Caplan

Colasante

I thought it was just for free agents whose contracts were expiring not from not exercising options on contracts

That's possible, that was the impression I'd had until recently, but I'm not positive. I can't think of any recent precedent one way or the other.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Really, it's not reactionary to say that two hours into free agency, the Patriots have squandered their opportunity to win Super Bowls for the next 4 years? Come the fuck on. Get a grip.

You're ignoring the fact that you said it as if those 3 guys had already walked. 2 of them yes, I believe bringing in revis can alleviate most of the problem here. There is literally nobody else who can fill that hole. It took the pats forever to find somebody competent to put out there. They could not win superbowls with a bottom 2 pass defense, they came close, but they weren't good enough. The seahawks are better this year, the pats are significantly worse so far. They will not be able to replace revis period, that's a fact.

Godslay

Banned
Pats should be easy favorites to get into SB next year - Denver is flat out worse; Colts still don't have a defense (though if Revis & Andre Johnson sign there, they might be a new contender), Baltimore & Pitt are losing a bunch of people, and Buffalo / Houston still don't have a QB. NE also has a top 5 easiest schedule currently; NE would have to underperform severely / be hit by injuries in order to not make AFC Championship.

Only major thing I could see changing this is if Buffalo / Houston manages to pull a QB out of a hat or Indy manages to grab Revis on top of it all.

Pull Revis out and we have a better team on paper. Utilization of talent was the issue and on the whole the Broncos have more.

Jeff McLane ‏@Jeff_McLane 1m1 minute ago
#Eagles acquire QB Sam Bradford and 5th round draft pick in 2015 from Rams for QB Nick Foles, 4th rd pick in 2015 and 2nd rd pick in 2016.

Top Bottom