• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread 2015 |OT2| Home of Baseball, Anime, Cricket, and Magic Johnson

I dunno, a lot of the fans loved Unger. Dude was one of the longest-tenured guys on the roster.

The team has been pretty shitty in the red zone (partially because Bevell won't give the ball to Lynch because he's a fucking idiot) so they needed someone to help improve that.
Yeah it's easy enough to guess why they'd want him (though who wouldn't?) but I just scratch my head for the reasons I already mentioned. At minimum, you need a line to buy Wilson more time if the plan is to have him throw more. Do they expect him to scramble every single play long enough to make something happen? It'll work at times but not all the time... As a Cards fan, I look forward to seeing him sacked like crazy this season and I expect it to happen.
There's gotta be a reason why the Saints would trade Graham for a C and a bad 1st

Maybe dude is injury prone or something
I'm a little curious if the Saints know something about that injury he came off of that the rest of us don't but the Chickens will do their due diligence and make him pass a physical.

offtopic

He measures in centimeters
What? We got Dockett and Smith. Not setting the world on fire but those are good players. Pwill doesn't hurt as much with borland. Gore is whatever.

What did you expect us to do in FA?

I'll lump FA and trades together and say they badly need offensive line help (if Kaep was any other quarterback except maybe Wilson he would have been sacked 100 times), they need a #1 receiver that demands attention from the opponent's defense, they need a 2nd running back (you can't get by with just one), and they need a tight end that isn't total shit like VD (seriously this guy can only run straight and can't block). Their offense is looking remarkably worse than last year and we know it was like last year. Hopefully their offensive scheme won't revolve around the awesome tactic of snapping the ball with 1 second left on the play clock like it did last year but I have seen zero indication from them that their offensive philosophy is going to change.

Oh yeah, the defense wasn't great last year and it is only looking worse so far this year.. People like to think their defense was good by pointing at points and yards they give up per game but those stats don't mean crap when your offense typically moves 30yds in 7 minutes on each drive. The stat we need to look at is points/drive and in that regard they were only 14th.

So, with a 14th ranked defense that has gotten worse, no improvements offensively (24th ranked offense iirc) and a head coach who looks likes like a downgrade from Mike Singletary I really don't have any cause for optimism. Kaepernick could be Joe Montana 2.0 and this is all going to hell anyways.

Oh, meanwhile our nemesis who was in the super bowl last year got stronger.

Doomsayer

I'm not nearly as down on the 49ers as a lot of my fellow fans are. I still think our coaching staff leaves a lot to be desired, but they haven't coached a meaningful game yet so I can't comment on it.

We signed a few good players, I think T. Smith at his age + skillset for 7 mil per is a steal, and Dockett is a good player. Hopefully our young guys step up and we play well next season.

Say what you will about our offseason (it's been bad) but we got a lot younger at key positions.

They aren't breaking the bank on anyone. No cap hell or awful contracts like ...

e:

ded to me if he goes to the fucking Chickens

We signed him for the vet minimum (thanks Pitts for paying the tab!) for one year. Zero risk for us that could end up being a great fit.

offtopic

He measures in centimeters
I'm not nearly as down on the 49ers as a lot of my fellow fans are. I still think our coaching staff leaves a lot to be desired, but they haven't coached a meaningful game yet so I can't comment on it.

We signed a few good players, I think T. Smith at his age + skillset for 7 mil per is a steal, and Dockett is a good player. Hopefully our young guys step up and we play well next season.

Say what you will about our offseason (it's been bad) but we got a lot younger at key positions.

I'm calling it now if they don't make significant changes before the start of the season.

5-11

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Darren Rovell saying that Suh/guaranteed money all at once thing is untrue.

Quazar

I'll lump FA and trades together and say they badly need offensive line help (if Kaep was any other quarterback except maybe Wilson he would have been sacked 100 times), they need a #1 receiver that demands attention from the opponent's defense, they need a 2nd running back (you can't get by with just one), and they need a tight end that isn't total shit like VD (seriously this guy can only run straight and can't block). Their offense is looking remarkably worse than last year and we know it was like last year. Hopefully their offensive scheme won't revolve around the awesome tactic of snapping the ball with 1 second left on the play clock like it did last year but I have seen zero indication from them that their offensive philosophy is going to change.

Oh yeah, the defense wasn't great last year and it is only looking worse so far this year.. People like to think their defense was good by pointing at points and yards they give up per game but those stats don't mean crap when your offense typically moves 30yds in 7 minutes on each drive. The stat we need to look at is points/drive and in that regard they were only 14th.

So, with a 14th ranked defense that has gotten worse, no improvements offensively (24th ranked offense iirc) and a head coach who looks likes like a downgrade from Mike Singletary I really don't have any cause for optimism. Kaepernick could be Joe Montana 2.0 and this is all going to hell anyways.

Well put. This shit is depressing. Be lucky to win half our games. Upper office reeks of morons who got their feelings hurt by Harbaugh.

LevelNth

Banned

Horrendous post. Here's why:

The Niners are the Packers West. We make one FA signing at most every year, and anything else are small short deals for backups. This is why Baalke is such a good GM. You're hoping for fixes in FA that shit teams make.

Two, you said the D was poor last year, so your opinion is pretty bad right there. But regardless, the D is already better right now.

Three, I actually think the Hawks are worse off, but that's just me. I think some here might agree.

Dysun

Rams GM is a wizard for getting a 2nd for Bradford (and toss in Foles), even with compensation going back in the form of a 3rd or 4th

effzee

I'm at a loss for words.

I have no clue or desire to even figure it out anymore. My only guess is that Chip realized the price was too much to move up for Mariota or no one was budging. Bradford was his back up plan all along.

Some of your points are valid. The questions about the coaching and the offensive line for sure. We have two good OTs but the whole middle of the line is a mystery to how good they will be.

I don't agree that Vernon Davis can't block. He's a very good blocker, what remains to be seen if he can become the good redzone threat he used to be again, and on the deep routes.

The defense, while 14th in yards allowed, was #10 in PPG. I think most of that is attributed to the poor offensive showings as you mentioned.

It really comes down to how much Kaepernick improves, the offensive playcalling, and what impact Torrey Smith maks. I still think the D will be top 10.

LevelNth

Banned
Oh I can't wait to hear this one
Not a big difference, I just think Unger is far away your best OL, held the line together, and that run blocking is more imperative to your O than a fading but still great TE will be.

But who knows maybe this is just part of the plan to fade away from Lynch and your scheme is changing.

HawkeyeIC

I don't know what people expect.

-They signed the 2nd best available wide receiver
-Couldn't pay $40M for a guard that can't pass block
-Are still looking for a RB in free agency
-Couldn't prevent Willis/Smith from retiring

What exactly should they have done differently (and you realize free agency JUST started, right?). Also:

Hopefully their offensive scheme won't revolve around the awesome tactic of snapping the ball with 1 second left on the play clock like it did last year but I have seen zero indication from them that their offensive philosophy is going to change.

Wat? The offense is going to be run first (it wasn't last year) and simplified a ton.

Doomsayer

Horrendous post. Here's why:

The Niners are the Packers West. We make one FA signing at most every year, and anything else are small short deals for backups. This is why Baalke is such a good GM. You're hoping for fixes in FA that shit teams make.

Two, you said the D was poor last year, so your opinion is pretty bad right there. But regardless, the D is already better right now.

Three, I actually think the Hawks are worse off, but that's just me. I think some here might agree.

I agree with most of this, except the last part.

The Hawks have most of their core intact, they only need to sign Russel. I'm sure he's going to get a huge contract, but the defense is what makes that team run.

One thing I've noticed about the Seahawks is that they scheme individual games very well. They take advantages of other teams weaknesses, so I have no doubt that while Lynch is the catalyst on O, once he goes they can scheme their way to victory more often then not.

As a 49er fan, that hurt.

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
Not a big difference, I just think Unger is far away your best OL, held the line together, and that run blocking is more imperative to your O than a fading but still great TE will be.

But who knows maybe this is just part of the plan to fade away from Lynch and your scheme is changing.

I think it is an open secret that Lynch is retiring after this year; and we probably won't be able to pay our left tackle crazy free agent money after this year. Think they are getting ready to change schemes.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
Traded back to the Rams.

BoB trolls me.

LevelNth

Banned
I think it is an open secret that Lynch is retiring after this year; and we probably won't be able to pay our left tackle crazy free agent money after this year. Think they are getting ready to change schemes.
This would make sense. And if Graham rebounds from the injuries then it's a whole different story too.

Top Bottom