• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread 2015 |OT2| Home of Baseball, Anime, Cricket, and Magic Johnson

Colasante

NYG: DE Mathias Kiwanuka has been informed of his release. In nine years, he was part of two Super Bowl championship teams.

Kiwanuka could be the type of low cost veteran defensive end that the Patriots bring in. He'd be a solid third pass rusher.

Draxal

Kiwanuka could be the type of low cost veteran defensive end that the Patriots bring in. He'd be a solid third pass rusher.

Nope, he had a giant fork sticking out of his back last year. The number one complaint of Giants gaf was that he was getting playing time.

Colasante

Nope, he had a giant fork sticking out of his back last year.

The Patriots' third defensive end last year was a 6th round pick from Concordia-St. Paul. Unfortunately, the bar for entry is much lower on the Patriots defensive line than it is the Giants.

At this point? Not really. Kiwi's been done for two seasons now. Absolutely terrible in run defense and even as a pass rusher he has little to nothing left. I would have preferred to keep Tuck last season and let Kiwi walk. At least Tuck was still a monster run defender.

Great team guy, but unless he's coming in at a vet minimum....(and even then I have my doubts he makes it out of training camp).

Draxal

The Patriots' third defensive end last year was a 6th round pick from Concordia-St. Paul. Unfortunately, the bar for entry is much lower on the Patriots defensive line than it is the Giants.

The Giants ends are no where near 2007 - 20011 caliber, and a free agent that the Pats could have gotten (Robert Ayers) was easily a much better player than him last year.

Colasante

The Giants ends are no where near 2007 - 20011 caliber, and a free agent that the Pats could have gotten (Robert Ayers) was easily a much better player than him last year.

Yeah, I kept hearing his name during the season and was hoping he'd signed a one year deal with the Giants, but it was for two. There's a solid crop of free agent defensive ends, but I think their market will be pretty high this offseason. Thankfully the draft is supposed to be fairly deep for both 3-4 and 4-3 DEs.

Striker

Don't overestimate the Giants DL over the past several years. JPP had a great year in 2011 and guys like John Hankins and Linval Joseph have been stout, but there's way too much inconsistency and underachieving for the ends. Kiwi was a great teammate by moving around as much as he did, but it was time to go. Definitely did not perform well at all last season.

ampere

Even Revis celebrates #TomBradyTuesday

sSCRaU1.jpg

The gang is all here :')

Giants...

Ralph Vacchiano ‏@RVacchianoNYDN 16s16 seconds ago
Kiwanuka was due $4,775,000 in salary for 2015. That is now the amount the Giants save by cutting him.

Leaves the Giants with about 25 million in cap space if the cap is indeed 142 million.

Draxal

Don't overestimate the Giants DL over the past several years. JPP had a great year in 2011 and guys like John Hankins and Linval Joseph have been stout, but there's way too much inconsistency and underachieving for the ends. Kiwi was a great teammate by moving around as much as he did, but it was time to go. Definitely did not perform well at all last season.

I put alot of the underperforming line on Fewell's philosophy, which is why I'm so excited about Spags coming back, as it really can answer was it the talent/or scheme debate for the last couple of years.

Also worth saying that Kiwi was a great Giant. It always comes down to money and the amount they were paying him was untenable but he played 9 years for the team. He helped win two Super Bowls and was productive more often than not. Father time finally caught up with him. I hope he retires in a blue someday.

Draxal

Also worth saying that Kiwi was a great Giant. It always comes down to money and the amount they were paying him was untenable but he played 9 years for the team. He helped win two Super Bowls and was productive more often than not. Father time finally caught up with him. I hope he retires in a blue someday.

He was a good player, but he was always the fourth man.

Tuck/Strah/Osi in 2007 and Tuck/Stra/JPP in 2011. The fact that he was starting in 2014 with his diminished play showed how poorly our defense end production was compared to those previous lines.

He was a good player, but he was always the fourth man.

Tuck/Strah/Osi in 2007 and Tuck/Stra/JPP in 2011. The fact that he was starting in 2014 with his diminished play showed how poorly our defense end production was compared to those previous lines.

You and I have very different recollections of 2011. Tuck/Osi/JPP in 2011, bro. Stra was long gone.;)

Hopefully hear news on J.D. Walton getting his ass released and restructuring Jon Beason's in some manner next.
If Walton agrees to a pay cut to vet minimum I'm fine with him staying as depth. Outside of that, yeah. He needs gone.

Beason will likely restructure or take a paycut. I don't think he's going anywhere.

Top Bottom