• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread 2015 |OT2| Home of Baseball, Anime, Cricket, and Magic Johnson

effzee

I still don't see the huge issue with the move. Chip is on the hot seat early, and it's either something or a 2014 redux. I don't think it's great, but nothing of great value is lost.

Chip isn't on any hot seat or at least not after season 2. Now he maybe after cutting and moving all the best talent for extremely questionable players coming off of injuries.

I get him going crazy cause the alternative is doing good enough upto 10-6 but never fielding a complete team that can contend for a SB. Might as well do what you feel will make you more than a first round exit especially whe you aren't finishing in the bottom 5 with a chance to draft a franchise QB.

If it doesn't work Lurie shows him the door.

offtopic

He measures in centimeters
Some of your points are valid. The questions about the coaching and the offensive line for sure. We have two good OTs but the whole middle of the line is a mystery to how good they will be.

I don't agree that Vernon Davis can't block. He's a very good blocker, what remains to be seen if he can become the good redzone threat he used to be again, and on the deep routes.

The defense, while 14th in yards allowed, was #10 in PPG. I think most of that is attributed to the poor offensive showings as you mentioned.

It really comes down to how much Kaepernick improves, the offensive playcalling, and what impact Torrey Smith maks. I still think the D will be top 10.

Vernon Davis was terrible on any route last year. Dude literally can't not change directions to save his life. Those seam routes he used to be good at require small adjustments to the ball in flight to work at all and he can not longer make any sort of adjustment to a ball in the air.

The defense wasn't 14th in points per game, it was 14th in points per drive. They were top 4 or 5 in points per game which leads people to think they are elite when they most certainly were not. When your offensive system basically takes forever to move 30 yards and your defense is bend and don't break (but eventually they do) you won't give up many points or yards per game. But you won't score any either. The second half of games last year were just painful to watch and many times the offense might only have 3 or 4 drives the entire half because of how they just slow everything down.

I agree that it will come down to whether the offensive system is better and whether or not the offensive line isn't as awful as it was last year. Third on my list of "needs improving" are receivers that actually get open. Kaep needing to improve is way down the list - with the terrible playcalling and lack of protection last year any quarterback would have struggled to do anything.

jbug617

Banned
B_yJlWCWwAAT7vD.jpg

Duxxy3

I could see Browner coming back but I'm not sure if he's really worth much without someone like Revis opposite him. I'm not interested in Cromartie unless it's not a big money / long term deal.

Who can we get to bolster the pass rush? Hardy?

Hardy and Sheard.

Would be nice to have starting outside corners, but right now we're stuck with dennard and ryan. With how well they played last year they might as well be cut. The safety position and slot corner are still solid, but those outside corners took a massive nosedive.

Outside of the option stuff, I think Bradford can run Chip's offense pretty well. Could end up being a nice trade for them.

Assuming he can stay healthy. Guy is still just 27 also.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Hardy and Sheard.

Would be nice to have starting outside corners, but right now we're stuck with dennard and ryan. With how well they played last year they might as well be cut. The safety position and slot corner are still solid, but those outside corners took a massive nosedive.

If they go out and get Hardy and Sheard, they'd still need 2 cbs

TheFatOne

Hardy and Sheard.

Yea back to what we were used to. Was nice knowing the top receiver wasn't going to do anything every game last season. Going to miss Revis, but I'm happy they were able to at least win the super bowl. Wonder what the Pats are going to do now. Need to really solidify that oline since Revis is gone.

Hardy and Sheard.

Safety is solid? One of our starting safeties is Patrick Chung.

offtopic

He measures in centimeters
Horrendous post. Here's why:

The Niners are the Packers West. We make one FA signing at most every year, and anything else are small short deals for backups. This is why Baalke is such a good GM. You're hoping for fixes in FA that shit teams make.

Two, you said the D was poor last year, so your opinion is pretty bad right there. But regardless, the D is already better right now.

Three, I actually think the Hawks are worse off, but that's just me. I think some here might agree.

They were 8-8 and have only become worse in both personnel and coaching (and I despised Harbaugh so that lets you know what I think of Tomsula). I'm not one for huge splashy FA signings at all but they need massive help across the board on offense and some on defense. Dockett and Smith are good signings but if that is the sum total of what they are adding then they are in trouble. I call 5-11 next year without more improvements.

I didn't say their defense was poor - I just said it was massively overrated. People looking at their top 5 in points (and yards) per game think they are elite when they most certainly were not. That ranking is based mostly on how slow they operated on offense and their bend-don't-break defensive style. They were 14th in points/drive which is a much better indicator. 14th is mediocre. Their defense was mediocre. Is it better now? No. Not yet.

Duxxy3

If they go out and get Hardy and Sheard, they'd still need 2 cbs

Probably.

Butler was celebrated for his big play, but outside of that he is a nickel back (at best). Ryan did not improve the way the Harmon improved. Dennard has some skill but is too small for the NFL.

They could patch up the secondary with one of the FA CB's and hope that they work out with Browner on the other side, but that's an expensive downgrade. They may be better off trying to move up for a CB in the draft, or trading with a secondary-rich team.

Safety is solid? One of our starting safeties is Patrick Chung.

Who played very well last season.

Sanjuro

Chip isn't on any hot seat or at least not after season 2. Now he maybe after cutting and moving all the best talent for extremely questionable players coming off of injuries.

I get him going crazy cause the alternative is doing good enough upto 10-6 but never fielding a complete team that can contend for a SB. Might as well do what you feel will make you more than a first round exit especially whe you aren't finishing in the bottom 5 with a chance to draft a franchise QB.

If it doesn't work Lurie shows him the door.

It's coming though. It's one of those instances where having a 10-6 record is almost more frustrating than a lower record.

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
Tying your NFL career to Sam Bradford in 2015, what could go wrong?

You get a high draft pick and get an actual QB for next year?

Fellas please! Both of your qbs are products of the team around them!

I think anyone who studies the NFL knows that Wilson > Foles (especially when you bring the multi-year analysis into the situation); but both have definitely been helped by their systems immensely. (Kelly made MARK SANCHEZ LOOK DECENT, ffs). But Wilson does have a higher QBR, PFF score, Passer Rating, etc than Foles.

The current QB rankings are (as in, how good are they currently)

Top Tier
Rodgers (note; he was destroying a fully healthy Seattle D on a bad hamstring. Brady faced a completely injured seattle DB crew. Rodgers is insanity pants currently)

Non God Tier
Romo (notice Romo goes BANANAS the year he gets an actual RB?), Manning. Brady (who has sat behind god-tier O-Lines most of his career), Big Ben, maybe Flacco

Franchise QB tier
Luck (will ascend to non God Tier and possibly God Tier with a RB and O-Line), Wilson (will also probably ascend to Non God Tier with actual passing targets), Eli (also known as Odell Beckham), Brees, and Flacco (who outplayed Brady hardcore in their head to head game)

Rest of League

I mean, in terms of "who would you want on your team for the next 3 years", it is probably Rodgers, Luck, Wilson, Brady, and Bridgewater (love those rookie contracts!) in that order (Brady and Manning are probably going to retire within 3 years).

Duxxy3

I don't think it's a coincidence that he had his best year when he played alongside Revis and Browner.

I agree. He played better when he had good players around him. Dennard, Ryan and Butler (slightly less so) all looked weak with a very strong group around them.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
You get a high draft pick and get an actual QB for next year?

I think anyone who studies the NFL knows that Wilson > Foles (especially when you bring the multi-year analysis into the situation); but both have definitely been helped by their systems immensely. (Kelly made MARK SANCHEZ LOOK DECENT, ffs). But Wilson does have a higher QBR, PFF score, Passer Rating, etc than Foles.

The current QB rankings are (as in, how good are they currently)

Top Tier
Rodgers (note; he was destroying a fully healthy Seattle D on a bad hamstring. Brady faced a completely injured seattle DB crew. Rodgers is insanity pants currently)

Non God Tier
Romo (notice Romo goes BANANAS the year he gets an actual RB?), Manning. Brady (who has sat behind god-tier O-Lines most of his career), Big Ben, maybe Flacco

Franchise QB tier
Luck (will ascend to non God Tier and possibly God Tier with a RB and O-Line), Wilson (will also probably ascend to Non God Tier with actual passing targets), Eli (also known as Odell Beckham), Brees, and Flacco (who outplayed Brady hardcore in their head to head game)

Rest of League

I mean, in terms of "who would you want on your team for the next 3 years", it is probably Rodgers, Luck, Wilson, Brady, and Bridgewater (love those rookie contracts!) in that order (Brady and Manning are probably going to retire within 3 years).

huh?

Cybit

FGC Waterboy

Basically, Rodgers is on another level currently when it comes to QB.

Brady, Manning, Romo, Big Ben are on that second tier

Luck, Wilson, Brees, Flacco and Eli are on that third tier (with Luck and Wilson probably heading up to the second tier next year)

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Basically, Rodgers is on another level currently when it comes to QB.

Brady, Manning, Romo, Big Ben are on that second tier

Luck, Wilson, Brees, Flacco and Eli are on that third tier (with Luck and Wilson probably heading up to the second tier next year)

I bolded a specific part. Brady and Flacco had statistically similar games, brady had the edge though... not to mention flaccos Clutch interception to harmon

Top Bottom