• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread 2015 |OT2| Home of Baseball, Anime, Cricket, and Magic Johnson

Link

The Autumn Wind
what? a marginal at best starting qb/nice backup is not going to stop a team from taking a franchise qb,

honestly don't think mariota is the guy but its way better to swing and miss instead of not addressing qb at all.
And I'm much more comfortable with that chance considering the holes they've filled so far.

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
I bolded a specific part. Brady and Flacco had statistically similar games, brady had the edge though... not to mention flaccos Clutch interception to harmon

Flacco outplayed Brady via QBR, DVOA, DYAR & PFF grade; the typical stats didn't count Flacco getting PI calls and such. (Plus that Brady was playing against an absolutely terrible secondary, while Flacco was playing against an awesome Pats secondary)

effzee

Fitzpatrick would just be a veteran backup, similar to Vick last year. He's hardly a long-term solution.

Agreed but word has been so far that they don't have much interest in Mariota especially if they have to run an offense he is comfortable with.

I don't think you just take a QB at 6 if you aren't 100% sold on him. Too many talented players on the board on that spot to pass up on just to select a QB.

If they do sign Fitzi I hope they drop Geno and then draft Mariota to give him some time to settle in and develop.

What if they like Geno?

All I meant at this point with Foles with Rams now, all it would take is Tennessee and NYJ passing on Mariota for him to drop possibly out of the top 10. Not out of the realm of possibility especially since they might not be sold on running an offense he can make work.

A healthy Bradford may not be all bad. I just have no idea who the fuck he's going to throw to.

Yeah 2 things: his health and lack of a stud RB and WR. I bet Chip addresses those needs in the draft now. Hopefully not in the first round because we can still use a first round talent in our secondary.

Might still take someone like QB Petty later to develop. Barkley is most likely gone.

Jason Worilds is retiring?!

@JasonLaCanfora: Former Steelers pass rusher Jason Worilds is retiring from the game per a release by his agents. Several teams wanted him in free agency....

@JasonLaCanfora: Worilds opting to pursue his faith and explore other options. Comes on the heels of Patrick Willis and Jake Locker retiring young this week

BigAT

itVjNH8.jpg

effzee

what? a marginal at best starting qb/nice backup is not going to stop a team from taking a franchise qb,

honestly don't think mariota is the guy but its way better to swing and miss instead of not addressing qb at all.

Is it?

Yeah that doesn't make sense to me. You can swing and miss on a QB in the 3rd round if you don't like Mariota. But at pick 6? When the Jets still could use tons of help?

You could possibly be passing up on a cornerstone piece at another position who you are sold on just to take a shot with Mariota?

Even though I'm pretty sure now Bradford is our starter week 1, if and again giant IF Mariota somehow gets pass Titans and Jets, he would drop at least to 11 and then Eagles can move up.

Otherwise I think they stay at 20.

Link

The Autumn Wind
Agreed but word has been so far that they don't have much interest in Mariota especially if they have to run an offense he is comfortable with.

I don't think you just take a QB at 6 if you aren't 100% sold on him. Too many talented players on the board on that spot to pass up on just to select a QB.
Gailey runs a spread offense, so no issue there. Or they could let him sit while he adapts to a pro-style, if they prefer. They don't have such glaring needs elsewhere anymore that I'd be ok with that strategy.

You miss 100% of the shots you don't take.

JMDSO

Unconfirmed Member
I'm sure some of these guys retiring don't want to end up with CTE just for a couple more years of playing.

effzee

With Locker gone, Titans take Mariota right?

Seems logical but all we have heard from Titans so far is how they are sold on Mettenberger.

Again are they sold on Mariota enough that they think he can run a traditional offense and that he will be the franchise QB to take him at 2? Especially if they like Mettenberger?

Realistically I think Winston and Mariota go 1 and 2 respectively.

gutshot

Let's say hypothetically Sam Bradford decides to retire tomorrow, could we void the trade?

If yes, someone send a minister to his house ASAP!

effzee

Gailey runs a spread offense, so no issue there. Or they could let him sit while he adapts to a pro-style, if they prefer. They don't have such glaring needs elsewhere anymore that I'd be ok with that strategy.

You miss 100% of the shots you don't take.

Wait what Jets don't have needs that they rather address with top 5 talent in the draft and would rather risk taking a QB they aren't sold on?

Don't buy it. If they take Mariota @ 6 its because they 100% believe he is the franchise QB potentially be for a decade plus.

Godslay

Banned
That's right totally forgot about Mettenburger. That muddies the water a bit. Titans have been such a quiet team at least escaped my radar.

Pepiope

Worilds retired? What?

Although this sort of explains why the Eagles all of a sudden made a much bigger push to resign Graham.
I have a feeling Graham is going to be much better than Worilds anyway. He wanted his shot, and now he has it. We should look for him to take a big step this year. I mean, with Bradford and Kelly at the helm, he'll definitely see a lot of time on the field.

Eagles site statement

This was a move long in the works. The Eagles eyed Rams quarterback Sam Bradford for weeks, and on Tuesday they made the move, acquiring Bradford in exchange for Nick Foles. Draft picks were involved. It was a huge move.

An extremely talented quarterback who is 6-4 and 224 pounds, Bradford is able to make every throw from every position on the field. When the Eagles studied him -- and they did so very, very extensively before the trade -- they saw a quarterback with special accuracy, with touch, with a big arm. A quarterback who can get the ball out quickly, who can make fast, good decisions. Bradford is, the Eagles think, a classic pocket quarterback with just enough mobility to work the pocket well and keep plays alive.

The misconception, perhaps, is that the offense the Eagles is one that we saw at Oregon, where the quarterback was mobile and a running threat. That's not what the Eagles are offensively. The Eagles can run the football effectively with their running backs -- and there is a need there that will be filled -- and their blocking scheme, and they need a quarterback who can be accurate, who can play tempo football and who can get the ball to the receivers -- a need position that the Eagles will address -- in a timely fashion down the field and in the short passing game.

Bradford, the Eagles feel, can do it all.

The Eagles, despite the overwhelming rush by the media and fans to think otherwise, were not going to move up, up, up in the draft and take Oregon's Marcus Mariota, the Heisman Trophy winner whom Kelly recruited. Nor did the Eagles feel their best option was to stay put and stick with Foles and extend his contract for the future.

Certainly, the deal hinges on Bradford remaining healthy and staying on the field for this offense. He had a concussion and some shoulder injuries at Oklahoma. He has the two ACL injuries and a shoulder injury in the NFL. Only twice in his five seasons has Bradford played a full 16 games. The Eagles believe in their sports science program and their strength and conditioning program and they have the plan to put the right pieces around Bradford to help him stay healthy and make him more productive than he's been in his career.

That's why the Eagles did the deal, one on which they worked extremely hard and one that was, according to reports, off and on a couple of times -- at least -- in the last few weeks. They got the quarterback they wanted, one they think can be special in this offense.

squicken

Excited to see Bradford finally play for a competent offensive coach. but no Maclin, Jackson or McCoy has him dealing with the same issues at the skill positions. At least the line is potentially good. STL has 3 OLs under contract. Foles will get killed there the way he holds the ball

Top Bottom