• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread 2015 |OT2| Home of Baseball, Anime, Cricket, and Magic Johnson

Tom Penny

Cafe Du Monde is trash

You're high. The best coffee

DSC03190.jpg

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
I am curious as to why so many relatively young guys are walking away from the league. Worilds, Locker, and Willis. Locker was the only one that was chronically hurt. Willis was out last year, was he having trouble rehabbing?

Also, the last 25 posts or so.... what the fuck?

I am curious as to why so many relatively young guys are walking away from the league. Worilds, Locker, and Willis. Locker was the only one that was chronically hurt. Willis was out last year, was he having trouble rehabbing?

I think they had the chance to make a large chunk of money and are now getting out before they do even more irreparable damage to their bodies. Willis can look at someone like Junior Seau and think, "That could be me in ten years if I don't get out soon."

Maybe the players are "softer" now or whatever, but I kind of admire it.

squicken

The Rams-Eagles trade will take a long time to figure out. The deal no one saw coming was Sam Bradford and a fifth-round pick in 2015 for Nick Foles, a fourth-round pick in 2015 and a second-round pick in 2016. The Rams had multiple trade options for Bradford, who has had two straight seasons ended with ACL tears to his left knee, but by Monday were focused on Philadelphia because the Eagles had something no other involved team could trade—a potential starting quarterback like Foles.

What I was told reliably Tuesday night: Philadelphia coach/power-czar Chip Kelly loves Bradford, feels Bradford’s the right guy to run his fast-paced offense, and this from an insider on the trade of the day: “Chip came hard after Bradford. That’s why this happened.” I know many of you think this is some sort of precursor to Kelly stockpiling weaponry to chase Marcus Mariota in the first round of the draft, but I don’t think so. There aren’t a lot of GMs in the league who would think Bradford is clearly better than Foles. So to trade up for Mariota, from where the Eagles sit at 20, would take first-round picks this year and next year, the second-round pick this year, Bradford, and probably more. That assumes the Titans or Jets actually want the risky Bradford and would sacrifice dealing down to number 20 this year in the process. I don’t see it. It’s far more likely that, as my source says, Kelly is smitten with Bradford, who ran a fast-paced offense at Oklahoma his final season even though he is more suited to a classic NFL scheme.
http://mmqb.si.com/2015/03/11/jameis-winston-roger-goodell-nfl-trades-free-agency-retirement/

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
I think they had the chance to make a large chunk of money and are now getting out before they do even more irreparable damage to their bodies. Willis can look at someone like Junior Seau and think, "That could be me in ten years if I don't get out soon."

I mean that makes sense, and in Locker's case he sucks. Worilds is the confusing one. I think he finally came off his rookie deal and is now leaving.

gutshot

Man how quickly Chip fell as soon as the deal was confirmed to not switching the 1st round picks.

Well, I think it was always in the back of our minds with some of these moves. Chip was teetering on the line between crazy and crazy smart. But the Bradford move tipped him into the just plain crazy section.

Tom Penny

Money doesn't motivate them and they love something else more than football. I don't know about Worilds but Willis surely made some money.

ParityBit

I woke up hoping it was a bad dream, but alas, Revis is no more.

Ever time the Pats let someone go, they had a plan, this does not feel like they have a plan. I almost feel like yesterday passed them by. Are there any CBs in the draft? Not that they can develop corners well from their track record. Maybe move Devin back?! Haha. I keed.

effzee

Well for 2 out the 3 guys it seems to be religion. God is fielding one hell of a team. Willis also has been battling injuries.

No way would I call these guys soft. It's a crazy game that requires 110% dedication to even remain in the league. If these guys don't have the desire to rehab one more time or truly find religion than its not that shocking.

Personally don't think it's a trend.

Eagles sign Walter Thurmond, who played his college ball at.... you guessed it, Oregon.

Chip Kelly is a fucking disaster.

Under Chip? I like it cause we still need corner help but would have preferred Browner.

At this point it seems if you have played at Oregon and or have at 1-2 ACL tears you are golden in Chip's eyes.

Hammer24

Banned
Roy Cummings ‏@RCummingsTBO · 2 Min.Vor 2 Minuten
Bucs could still make some noise here in the first 24 hours of FA. Visits with several players already underway at One Buc Place

*yawn

knicks

...Eagles got more value for McCoy than they had any business getting.

I was exaggerating a bit, but you really don't think they could have gotten something better for McCoy? The guy is 26, in his prime and is a premiere player in the league. An MVP candidate two seasons ago. Sure he is making a decent penny, but isn't it worth it? It's not like the Eagles are designating that money elsewhere.

The Jets would have 100% gave their 6th round pick for Foles and McCoy. They got fucking Sam Bradford and a decent defensive guy. They got played.

gutshot

Mike Garafolo @MikeGarafolo
Actually, more than a visit for RB Ryan Mathews with he Eagles. He's expected to sign with the team, source says.

If he's healthy, he's a nice pickup. A big "if" though.

Alonso, Bradford, Thurmond, Matthews.... I'm noticing a trend with these pickups.

I woke up hoping it was a bad dream, but alas, Revis is no more.

Ever time the Pats let someone go, they had a plan, this does not feel like they have a plan. I almost feel like yesterday passed them by. Are there any CBs in the draft? Not that they can develop corners well from their track record. Maybe move Devin back?! Haha. I keed.
0HpUwY0.jpg

kmag

So where was this program for Vick and Foles??

Yeah, it's not like a sports science program can fix a suspect acl (you can build up the supporting muscles around the knee sure, but ultimately the ligament itself is the bit which is exposed to the torque), and I believe the shoulder injury was a contact injury which isn't something you can eliminate.

Apparently Uncle Rog met with Jameis Winston in New York last week.

I don't remember Zach Mettenberger or Johnny Manziel getting called into the Principal's Office prior to being drafted.

effzee

I was exaggerating a bit, but you really don't think they could have gotten something better for McCoy? The guy is 26, in his prime and is a premiere player in the league. An MVP candidate two seasons ago. Sure he is making a decent penny, but isn't it worth it? It's not like the Eagles are designating that money elsewhere.

The Jets would have 100% gave their 6th round pick for Foles and McCoy. They got fucking Sam Bradford and a decent defensive guy. They got played.

My opinion as well.

I'm assuming the Jets would have more than happily given the #6 for Foles, McCoy, and the #20 pick overall. They could also have offered that to Tennessee and probably made it work.

As I've said over and over he has traded, cut, lost out on for DeSean, Maclin, and McCoy with only Kiko Alonso to show for in return.

Terrible deals. You can make a case why it was smart moving from these players but they have recieved nothing in return for compensation.

Completely bummed out. Sam Bradford is our QB. Feels bad bro.

My opinion as well.

I'm assuming the Jets would have more than happily given the #6 for Foles, McCoy, and the #20 pick overall. They could also have offered that to Tennessee and probably made it work.

As I've said over and over he has traded, cut, lost out on for DeSean, Maclin, and McCoy with only Kiko Alonso to show for in return.

Terrible deals. You can make a case why it was smart moving from these players but they have recieved nothing in return for compensation.

Completely bummed out. Sam Bradford is our QB. Feels bad bro.

I hear Tebow is looking for a team, and he throw a spiral now!

Charles Clay would get $7 million from the Dolphins with the transition tag so I'm curious, how much are the Bills willing to pay him? I keep seeing that they are going to make an offer that's "hard to match." How much more do you want to give an injury prone TE coming off of a down year? Sure they can sweeten the deal by making it more long term and offering more guaranteed money but is that a risk they're willing to take?

Actually, more than a visit for RB Ryan Mathews with he Eagles. He's expected to sign with the team, source says.

Alonso, Bradford, Thurmond, Matthews.... I'm noticing a trend with these pickups.

no one here in dallas can fucking figure out why he wasn't signed to the full time roster and made the #2 after murray, and the #1 after he left

dude was a beast

effzee

Awful. If we want an often injured RB why not Spiller? Or a draft pick?

Fuck man. Howie where are you?

I guess we will be all injured team full of what if potential. Only way this offseason is saved for me now is if they sure up the OLINE and sign someone like Rahim Moore to play safety.

Probably won't finish with more than 6 wins.

Konka

Banned
Awful. If we want an often injured RB why not Spiller? Or a draft pick?

Fuck man. Howie where are you?

I guess we will be all injured team full of what if potential. Only way this offseason is saved for me now is if they sure up the OLINE and sign someone like Rahim Moore to play safety.

Probably won't finish with more than 6 wins.

Calm yourself Iago.

effzee

Calm yourself Iago.

Explain why I should feel better about replacing McCoy with Ryan Mathews. Or that FAs the Eagles targeted first didn't want to sign here even for more money.

No way to sugarcoat it right now. Even the additions they have had are guys who have been severely hurt

squicken

Usually with injured guys, a team gets them on the cheap. Eagles sure seem to not be getting good value. But if Chip swings and misses he can always go back to college

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/eagles/295842311.html

Looks like Cleveland was also bidding for Bradford. Holmgren loved him and I guess that stayed with Farmer

Top Bottom